iQuit - Jony Ives Leaves Apple

most viewed right now
50 comments @hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

2 weeks ago '08        #1
1936 page views
22 comments

Bxdr1110 1 heat pts
space
space
$68 | Props total: 101 101
iQuit - Jony Ives Leaves Apple

visit this link https://www.bloomberg.com .. chief-jony-ive

Jony Ive has been leaving Apple Inc. for years. When it was finally made official on Thursday, there was nevertheless hand-wringing about the company’s future.

Ive led a stable, close-knit team of designers who created the slick look and feel of Apple’s hardware and software for more than two decades. At least six members of the group have left in the past three years.

The departures herald a new era. The days when Apple could reliably deliver a whole new category of device -- a spare music player, a sleek tablet, an elegant smartphone -- every few years have waned. More recently, the company has focused on iterations of its existing lineup. Now, the company needs another hit, but this one will require fundamental technological innovation, not just the design genius of Ive and his team.
One person close to Apple captured the anxiety of the moment: “People who have been there forever don’t want to keep doing incremental updates to current products.”

Ive was the mastermind behind the designs of the iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, Mac, and iPod that took Apple from the brink of bankruptcy in the late 1990’s to its status as a trillion-dollar company. When co-founder Steve Jobs died in 2011, Ive became the most important person at the company, ultimately deciding what products Apple would launch, how they would function, and what they would look like.

He was in charge of a roughly two-dozen person design team that included artists whose passions extended to the development of surfboards, cars, and even DJing on weekends. Many of their spouses worked as designers, too.

But after the Watch launched in 2015, Ive began to shed responsibilities. Day-to-day oversight of Apple’s design team was reduced to coming to headquarters as little as twice a week, according to people familiar with the matter. They asked not to be identified discussing private details.
Around that time, Ive told the New Yorker he’d become “deeply, deeply tired.” He said the year leading up to the Watch debut was “the most difficult” since he joined Apple. Laurene Powell Jobs, founder of the Emerson Collective, wife of the late Steve Jobs and a friend of Ive’s, suggested to the New Yorker that there could be a “slightly different structure that’s a little more sustainable and sustaining,” while keeping Ive at Apple.
“The design team is made up of the most creative people, but now there is an operations barrier that wasn’t there before,” one former Apple executive said. “People are scared to be innovative.”
Cliffnotes:

Jony and Tim Apple weren’t on the same page. Tim was looking at numbers and catering to shareholders. Jony wasn’t being allowed to innovate and push through the risky innovation that SJ pushed for. Jony will now have his own firm “Lovefrom” and keep Apple a his primary client. But ultimately Apple has taken the L as it’s clear they’ve headed in a direction of bland since SJ passed.

On one hand, good for Jony; he got out while still on top, gets to design for other companies and he gets to make money off Apple. I always thought Jony should’ve taken over after SJ, he knew where the innovation could take the company to hybrid next level.

Btw, long time Apple fan, not a hater, just sad to see a founding father leave under these conditions.
+9   

best
worst
22 comments

2 weeks ago '04        #2
mr_underground|m 2208 heat pts2208
space
space
$24,893 | Props total: 39467 39467
Apple is pivoting to being a services company and not product based so it makes sense, and they aren't missing anything as he is going to be a consultant doing the same thing but with Apple as a client instead the employer. Its less pressure for both parties.
+3   

2 weeks ago '05        #3
Scorpz 8 heat pts
space
space
$7,751 | Props total: 38202 38202

[pic - click to view]

+30   

2 weeks ago '17        #4
LumiHeights 
space
space
$343 | Props total: 537 537
Jony should have taken over instead of Tim... He is one of their secret weapons..Good for him tho
+5   

2 weeks ago '18        #5
Oswaldgatesjr 24 heat pts24
space
space
space
$6,900 | Props total: 15468 15468
Apple in 2019
+4   

2 weeks ago '18        #6
twoshotdez 
space
space
space
$233 | Props total: 449 449
Basically since SJ died the iPhone and all products really have been trash.

My only reason to even get them was to jailbreak them and basically can’t even do that anymore because they are so focus on security updates and not anything else.

Ios 13 will have dark mode, like people with jailbroken iPhones didnt have that back in 2013 with the iPhone 4

Apple as truly nothing original anymore
+15   

2 weeks ago '17        #7
one il matt 56 7 heat pts
space
space
$663 | Props total: 4446 4446
When was Apple ever original?

They would just take already created technologies, lock them down into its ecosystem, and dramatically reduce functionality.
+8   

2 weeks ago '17        #8
Imissmalcolmx17 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$3,093 | Props total: 5488 5488
 one il matt 56 said
When was Apple ever original?

They would just take already created technologies, lock them down into its ecosystem, and dramatically reduce functionality.
Do you mind giving all of us who don’t know sh*t about Apple vs other phones a break down. Some basic sh*t if you will.
Like is Apple really basic but the masses just buy them because it’s popular but android is actually better?
+4   

2 weeks ago '14        #9
NineDime 1 heat pts
space
space
$3,601 | Props total: 4488 4488
Interested in following his designs from here. Dude is a beast
+3   

2 weeks ago '17        #10
one il matt 56 7 heat pts
space
space
$663 | Props total: 4446 4446
 Imissmalcolmx17 said
Do you mind giving all of us who don’t know sh*t about Apple vs other phones a break down. Some basic sh*t if you will.
Like is Apple really basic but the masses just buy them because it’s popular but android is actually better?
Experience: started jailbreaking IPhone wit the 3GS, moved to android for 8 years then bought the XS earlier this year.

Apple is amazing in its symbiotic relationship with Apple products. The OS is smooth as butter. Hardly any glitches. Going from iPhone to iPad to appleTV to MacBook is so easy. iMessage kicks a*s. Hardware is very high quality.

Simple sh*t like picture mail, copy paste, and backgrounds required major modifications on the early days of Apple. They got hip once the galaxy S3 was wildly popular and started to eat away at their brand.

Battery is always meh. Android can literally slow the processor down if you want longer battery.

Notification bar was a HUGE issue. Android has it since the beginning, Apple just came around on that a few years back.

Even though Many develop for Apple, android has more app variety because it’s cheaper / easier / more economically advantageous to get on the google play store

Call recording, text message backup, modified ROMs, picture in picture, multiple apps at one time, over clock / under clock to preserve battery are all things you can do on android that are very hard to achieve on Apple.

Chrome cast was a thing long before Apple TV

Android is going more the Apple route lately, doe..., restricting larger and larger parts of its OS. It makes for a smooth experience for most people, but for the 30% that wants more control, it’s somewhay disappointing.

Phone size. Android changed the game with large screen sizes. Apple didn’t offer a larger screen until 4 years ago.

The main reason , IMO, Apple will never allow iMessage compatibility on an android is that’s their only clear cut differentiator. If an S10 could do iMessage, apple would take a massive hit in sales b/c the phones are better and cheaper,

Someone mentioned Apple turning into a service company and I completely see that path.

Last edited by one il matt 56; 07-03-2019 at 11:43 AM..
+10   

2 weeks ago '06        #11
xastey 25 heat pts25
space
space
$7,018 | Props total: 3706 3706
 Scorpz said

[pic - click to view]

Wait they really removed USB ports lol what was the reason they gave for that
+2   

2 weeks ago '05        #12
Double M Set 6 heat pts
space
space
$7,956 | Props total: 4718 4718
 xastey said
The Fact That I Use A USB Cable To Charge My Phone Takes 1 1/2 Fully From Being Dead.....I Use The New Lighting Bolt And It Fully Charges In 30-45 Minutes...I Have A HP Laptop But Apple Everything Else Including An IMac And I’ve Not Been Disappointed By Anything
+1   

2 weeks ago '06        #13
xastey 25 heat pts25
space
space
 Double M Set said
The Fact That I Use A USB Cable To Charge My Phone Takes 1 1/2 Fully From Being Dead.....I Use The New Lighting Bolt And It Fully Charges In 30-45 Minutes...I Have A HP Laptop But Apple Everything Else Including An IMac And I’ve Not Been Disappointed By Anything
Well that makes perfect sense...A proprietary cable and tech that you fully control should be able to do the job better then something that has to work with everything.

You are paying for vendor locking. If you are ok with that then by all means go for it. Me myself I try my best to avoid vendor locked and like to have the flexibility and have full control over my devices.

Sad this is Android isnt going to be like that for long. Also I'm a hardcore tech/engineer guy... The prices they charge isn't worth it for me.. I have plenty of money to throw at them but the tech isn't as valuable as they think it is.. for me apple plays on people's "I want to fit in/cool" thinking rather then anything.. But that's me, others don't feel the same way and that's fine.

Apple just isn't for me

Last edited by xastey; 07-03-2019 at 06:59 PM..
+4   

2 weeks ago '05        #14
Double M Set 6 heat pts
space
space
$7,956 | Props total: 4718 4718
 xastey said
Well that makes perfect sense...A proprietary cable and tech that you fully control should be able to do the job better then something that has to work with everything.

You are paying for vendor locking. If you are ok with that then by all means go for it. Me myself I try my best to avoid vendor locked and like to have the flexibility and have full control over my devices.

Sad this is Android isnt going to be like that for long. Also I'm a hardcore tech/engineer guy... The prices they charge isn't worth it for me.. I have plenty of money to throw at them but the tech isn't as valuable as they think it is.. for me apple plays on people's "I want to fit in/cool" thinking rather then anything.. But that's me, others don't feel the same way and that's fine.

Apple just isn't for me
Nah, I Feel It...But I Can Say That I Use My HP Laptop Overall.....It Actually Converted Me FROM Apple...The Thing With The New USB Is It Is Faster, Everybody’s Converting Too Cuz My Sis In Law Got A Old a*s Galaxy (5) And She Has The New Joint...In Fact My HP Has 2 New Thunderbolt Jacks And Only One Standards USB Port But Its 3rd Gen....Apple Had Them First...Apple Is A Tech Giant And Innovated Apps So Its Obly Right It Works Smoother And The Best On Their System....Originally

1 week ago '11        #15
Anti 11 heat pts11
space
space
$6,305 | Props total: 15047 15047
 Imissmalcolmx17 said
For me it’s apples ecosystem, all their devices and apps sync without any work really, I can’t see myself using anything else.
+1   

1 week ago '06        #16
philly337 28 heat pts28
space
space
$33,485 | Props total: 21191 21191
I dont like the iPhone but want to see them succeed since they're american. They just dont get it that they have an inferior product and it's the same sh*t over and over they just rely on the sheep to keep buying. Eventually theyll slowly move on though once they try something different and see how limited it is. Even the design is the same...same interface, same looking phone...and no customization to change.

1 week ago '15        #17
katurner 92 105 heat pts105
space
space
$6,751 | Props total: 9415 9415
 xastey said
thunderbolt is faster than usb, usb is just the standard for connectivity for a lot of devices, although thunderbolt and usb-c are catching on with even high end windows devices removing or limiting the amount of usbs it's still the most numerous of all the ports out right now from 2.0 - 3.0

1 week ago '06        #18
xastey 25 heat pts25
space
space
 katurner 92 said
thunderbolt is faster than usb, usb is just the standard for connectivity for a lot of devices, although thunderbolt and usb-c are catching on with even high end windows devices removing or limiting the amount of usbs it's still the most numerous of all the ports out right now from 2.0 - 3.0
That's my point... You can't just remove sh*t when most devices are still stuck in the stone age. People don't buy new devices depending on their laptop/PC configuration so I don't see why apple thought it was a good idea just to force people to use new tech and buy and adapter... That's just greed... Limit it to 1 slot if anything.

1 week ago '15        #19
katurner 92 105 heat pts105
space
space
$6,751 | Props total: 9415 9415
Some of y'all are so elitist towards either apple or anti-apple it's hilarious.

2 days ago '14        #20
Swade009 85 heat pts85
space
space
space
$10,944 | Props total: 8840 8840
 NineDime said
Interested in following his designs from here. Dude is a beast
Are you fu*kin serious the iPhone hasn't changed body styles since the iPhone 6. His designs have always been trash big and clunky.
+1   

2 days ago '14        #21
NineDime 1 heat pts
space
space
$3,601 | Props total: 4488 4488
 Swade009 said
Are you fu*kin serious the iPhone hasn't changed body styles since the iPhone 6. His designs have always been trash big and clunky.

The design philosophy w/ MacBooks, Mac Pros etc. left it’s print on product design and will be a staple moving forward regardless of your gripe.

2 days ago '14        #22
Swade009 85 heat pts85
space
space
space
$10,944 | Props total: 8840 8840
 NineDime said
The design philosophy w/ MacBooks, Mac Pros etc. left it’s print on product design and will be a staple moving forward regardless of your gripe.

I agree Macbooks and the Pro look slick but his designs for the most part dont change much if at all and the iPhones have been ugly and big for awhile while Samsung designs are slick and innovative.

2 days ago '11        #23
Slingy 71 heat pts71
space
space
$6,144 | Props total: 6094 6094
Still rocking my iPhone 6s. I just update when needed to the correct os that I can jailbreak and do a fresh install. Phone runs like brand new, won’t deny having to replace the battery twice now but that was $100 total. Better than the $1k phones they put out now.

Home      

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  51
Jul 17 - A Brutal Heat Wave Is Descending on the U.S.—and Blackouts May Ensue
50 comments
22 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  40
Super slimey 2 just leaked!!
60 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+64online now  29
Image(s) inside Would you eat that cookie?
67 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+17online now  19
Image(s) inside What is your name in Japanese
152 comments
22 hours ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy