Agent: Pelicans' Davis will enter free agency in 2020

most viewed right now
+30  86
31 comments @thotties

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

7 days ago '15        #1
1863 page views
70 comments

BuyGold 3504 heat pts3504
space
space
$11,399 | Props total: 54691 54691
Agent: Pelicans' Davis will enter free agency in 2020

Rich Paul, the agent representing New Orleans Pelicans star Anthony Davis, made it clear what lies ahead for his client for any team that may land him via a trade.

In an interview with Sports Illustrated, Paul stressed that Davis intends to hit free agency next summer no matter where he ends up. Davis holds a player option for next season that will allow him to enter unrestricted free agency in the summer of 2020.

“Where he’s going to land? I have no idea,” Paul told Sports Illustrated's S.L. Price. “And it don’t matter. We’re going into free agency. Why does it matter to me where he goes? Earth: We’re going into free agency. He has a year, he has to play. But after that, I can’t say it no bigger: WE ARE GOING INTO FREE AGENCY. 2020: ANTHONY DAVIS WILL BE IN FREE AGENCY.”

Paul informed the Pelicans in January that Davis wanted out and had no intention of signing a long-term contract extension with the team. The Pelicans have been aware of what Davis wants, and while many trade rumors regarding him bubbled up leading into the NBA's trade deadline, he was ultimately not dealt.

The Boston Celtics have long been considered to be in the mix with the Los Angeles Lakers, LA Clippers, New York Knicks and Brooklyn Nets for Davis. However, the Celtics cannot realistically pursue Davis in trades until guard Kyrie Irving makes his future plans with the team known.

Paul made it clear in the Sports Illustrated story that even if Boston does acquire Davis, they must be prepared to face the summer of 2020, too.

“They can trade for him, but it’ll be for one year,” Paul says. “I mean: If the Celtics traded for Anthony Davis, we would go there and we would abide by our contractual [obligations] and we would go into free agency in 2020. I’ve stated that to them. But in the event that he decides to walk away and you give away a*sets? Don’t blame Rich Paul.”

Paul also dispelled the notion that he is trying to get Davis to the Lakers, where the versatile big man would be playing alongside former Kia MVP and Finals MVP winner LeBron James.

“Did you say that to David Falk? Would you say that to Arn Tellem?” Paul told Sports Illustrated, referring to two agents who once juggled stables of clients without charges of conflicts of interest.

“You’re only saying that because you feel like, ‘Well, Rich wouldn’t be in this position without LeBron,’ right? My thing is: Take LeBron off the Lakers. Are the Lakers not a great destination for an arguably top-two player that went to Kentucky and won a national championship, signed with Nike? For a team that’s had centers from George Mikan to Wilt Chamberlain to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar to Shaq?

“So now, when you add LeBron, that’s what? The cherry on top. LeBron’s 34 years old. Anthony Davis is 26. So when LeBron’s done playing, the Anthony Davis trade is still rolling. What better place to do it than L.A.? If it was L.A. -- I never said ‘L.A.’ But there’s no negative to that. Who gives a s--- what you’re talking about, about me trying to help LeBron out? No, I’m not. I’m trying to help Anthony Davis. Now, if helping Anthony Davis helps LeBron in the long run? So be it. But my goal is Anthony Davis.”

As for the Knicks, Paul said the following: “The only difference is, they don’t have as many championships as the Lakers. They got a tradition. It’s a big market -- not that it’s only big markets. They have cap space, flexibility, they’re able to absorb more than one star. What’s wrong with that?”

Paul also gave his version of why the Pelicans were unable to deal Davis before the Feb. 7 trade deadline. He told Sports Illustrated that former Pelicans GM Dell Demps is to blame, as Paul says he never intended for Davis' trade demand to go public. Paul says he first informed Demps of Davis' desire to be dealt on Jan. 25, with Demps saying he'd talk with owner Gayle Benson and get back to him.

However, Paul says Demps contacted Davis himself and never got back to Paul. In addition, ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski (who broke the news of Davis' trade request) contacted Demps to confirm Davis' demands.

“It was necessary to go public,” Paul said, per Sports Illustrated. “When I told you, ‘Here’s our intentions,’ and you say, ‘Hey, let me talk to ownership,’ and instead of you talking to ownership you call Anthony Davis? That’s called being ignored.”

To Paul, Demps also violated player-agent etiquette by speaking directly to Davis ("That's a no-no. Every GM knows that," Paul said). Demps was fired on Feb. 15 amid the fallout from the Davis trade drama.

The Pelicans' season quickly cratered after Davis' trade request, as they were 22-28 on Jan. 28 and went 11-21 to finish 33-49 and miss the playoffs. Davis appeared in 56 games, a career-low, and saw downturns in his overall shooting (51.7 percent) and 3-point shooting (33.1 percent) from 2018-19. Following the Feb. 7 trade deadline, Davis never played more than 34 minutes in a game.

The disgruntled six-time All-Star missed his seventh straight game to close out the 2018-19 season with what the team has listed as back spasms. He wore a T-shirt with the famous Looney Tunes sign off, “That’s All Folks,” written across the chest to New Orleans' final home game of the season. As he walked down the tunnel toward the locker room after the game, he gave one fan a high-five.

Pelicans coach Alvin Gentry at one point in mid-February termed the effect of Davis' trade demand on the team as a "dumpster fire."
visit this link https://www.nba.com/artic .. 20-free-agency

70 comments for "Agent: Pelicans' Davis will enter free agency in 2020"

7 days ago '16        #2
WoodPipe 3 heat pts
space
space
$14,147 | Props total: 36012 36012
Old man LeWashed can’t wait that long
+6   

7 days ago '17        #3
money99 61 heat pts61
space
space
space
$4,009 | Props total: 6609 6609
This is to deter anyone other than the lakers to trade for him

Pels don’t fu*k it up just trade him don’t have that hanging around your new franchise player Zion into the season cut the trouble ASAP
+21   

7 days ago '16        #4
WoodPipe 3 heat pts
space
space
 money99 said
This is to deter anyone other than the lakers to trade for him

Pels don’t fu*k it up just trade him don’t have that hanging around your new franchise player Zion into the season cut the trouble ASAP
Limiting his market could backfire greatly
+5   

7 days ago '07        #5
N.O.4Life 70 heat pts70
space
space
$24,904 | Props total: 21594 21594
Oh well.If I’m Griff I’m not taking a low ball offer from the Lakers because that’s the only place he would sign.I would rather hold him this season and lose him for nothing.

7 days ago '17        #6
Lite 31 heat pts31
space
space
$6,423 | Props total: 15936 15936
Lebron ruining basketball.. this the craziest sh*t ive ever seen in sports

7 days ago '16        #7
MHP Trotty 500 heat pts500
space
space
$13,618 | Props total: 54471 54471
 N.O.4Life said
Oh well.If I’m Griff I’m not taking a low ball offer from the Lakers because that’s the only place he would sign.I would rather hold him this season and lose him for nothing.
See there y’all n*ggas go again not thinking. That’s what happens when football fans try to understand basketball.

You’d rather him be a distraction & walk for nothing than have 2-3 young players and the #4 pick? Just cause you want to delay him getting what he wants by 12 months?
+26   

7 days ago '14        #8
Spot Rusherz 267 heat pts267
space
space
$15,974 | Props total: 43509 43509
 WoodPipe said
Old man LeWashed can’t wait that long
27/9/8 is “washed” you bandwagon casual?

That’s averaging more than that n*gga that just tore his achilles
+15   

7 days ago '16        #9
space
space
 Spot Rusherz said

Y’all Brons*xuals stay overrating that clown.

Yeah he averaged 27/9/8 but he’s statpadding.

He’s out there trying way too hard to hit his jump shots, grab rebounds, and make smart passes. /s

7 days ago '14        #10
Soaring Seagull 2 heat pts
space
space
$5,879 | Props total: 7323 7323
 N.O.4Life said
Good thing Griffin is gonna think like an executive and not a fan (no offense). You'd rather him sign to lerbon, Ingram, ball, kuzma, Hart, and their 4th overall pick (basically stacking them) while Y'ALL get nothing at all? Craziness.

7 days ago '14        #11
Soaring Seagull 2 heat pts
space
space
$5,879 | Props total: 7323 7323
Davis and Paul basically eviscerated the marker. No wonder bx is quiet lmao. If this was the Lakers being phased out this would be a hot topic already
+4   

7 days ago '09        #12
BrooklynStiles 141 heat pts141
space
space
space
$13,155 | Props total: 19381 19381
Bron don’t have that much time
+3   

7 days ago '07        #13
sleep23rd 8 heat pts
space
space
$7,747 | Props total: 3858 3858
 Lite said
Lebron evening out basketball.. this the craziest sh*t ive ever seen in sports
fixed

7 days ago '07        #14
N.O.4Life 70 heat pts70
space
space
$24,904 | Props total: 21594 21594
 Soaring Seagull said
Good thing Griffin is gonna think like an executive and not a fan (no offense). You'd rather him sign to lerbon, Ingram, ball, kuzma, Hart, and their 4th overall pick (basically stacking them) while Y'ALL get nothing at all? Craziness.
So if the reports are true and the Lakers is the only place he would sign ,why would the Lakers give up anything worth trading for?Kuzma and a pick isn’t even worth making a deal for.Iv said plenty of times that I would take their initial offer but anything less is a no go.Id either trade him at the deadline to a contender for a pick and roll players or let him walk.Lebron going into his 18th season and back to back seasons with no superstar wouldn’t be the same Lebron.Rich Paul is gonna shoot his self in the foot by shrinking the market.Pels can just say fu*k it and not trade him at all.Let him play out this season and Let the Lakers continue to be a dumpster fire
+2   

7 days ago '16        #15
WoodPipe 3 heat pts
space
space
 Spot Rusherz said

Career low games played, career low minutes, can’t play defense anymore, career low FT%. Had to be shut down. Playoffs missed

7 days ago '16        #16
space
space
 Soaring Seagull said
It’s the football mindset. Some of the most talented players in that sport have been released/traded for nothing just so the team doesn’t have to reward them for being a malcontent. Simply because you have the chance to get a replacement in the draft in any round.

This dude taking that same mindset thinking “punishing” AD by not giving him “what he wants” is teaching him a lesson and setting a precedent for current players. When in reality getting nothing for a player of AD caliber in this sport is flushing a bag of diamonds down the toilet rather than taking the best deal offered for it.
+1   

7 days ago '16        #17
space
space
 Spot Rusherz said
“Trying way too hard” there’s no such thing in a competitive sport such as basketball.

You n*ggas that have never played organized sports say the dumbest sh*t. If he goes out there and tries hard, that’s the entire point
That was sarcasm bro. I even tagged it /s.

7 days ago '14        #18
space
space
 WoodPipe said
Career low games played, career low minutes, can’t play defense anymore, career low FT%. Had to be shut down. Playoffs missed
You said all that and he still averaged more than anyone on that team you bandwagon

Boy oh boy I can’t wait to see Durant’s averages next season

MHP Trotty said
That was sarcasm bro. I even tagged it /s.
Lol my bad dog... I didn’t even know what that /s meant. I just learned somethin new

Last edited by Spot Rusherz; 06-12-2019 at 09:15 AM..
+3   

7 days ago '16        #19
space
space
 N.O.4Life said
So if the reports are true and the Lakers is the only place he would sign ,why would the Lakers give up anything worth trading for?Kuzma and a pick isn’t even worth making a deal for.Iv said plenty of times that I would take their initial offer but anything less is a no go.Id either trade him at the deadline to a contender for a pick and roll players or let him walk.Lebron going into his 18th season and back to back seasons with no superstar wouldn’t be the same Lebron.Rich Paul is gonna shoot his self in the foot by shrinking the market.Pels can just say fu*k it and not trade him at all.Let him play out this season and Let the Lakers continue to be a dumpster fire
“Let him walk”? You super silly man.

It’s a good thing the Saints season coming up, you won’t ever have to worry about the Pelicans ever again in a few more days. You & the rest of the Pelicans fans on here clearly don’t understand how the NBA works. Y’all think AD is Brandin Cooks.
+6   

7 days ago '19        #20
unit321 34 heat pts34
space
space
$1,077 | Props total: 2566 2566
He's in a good position for his career.
+2   

7 days ago '17        #21
Samich Eater 3 heat pts
space
space
$1,835 | Props total: 3287 3287
 MHP Trotty said
Y’all Brons*xuals stay overrating that clown.

Yeah he averaged 27/9/8 but he’s statpadding.

He’s out there trying way too hard to hit his jump shots, grab rebounds, and make smart passes. /s
Bingo

7 days ago '16        #22
WoodPipe 3 heat pts
space
space
 Spot Rusherz said
You said all that and he still averaged more than anyone on that team you bandwagon

Imagine averaging more and still missing the playoffs
+1   

7 days ago '16        #23
space
space
 Spot Rusherz said

Lol my bad dog... I didn’t even know what that /s meant. I just learned somethin new
I don’t blame you. n*ggas on here say sh*t that retarded with conviction.

Dude on here one time said LeBron was a stat padder because the Small Forward isn’t supposed to handle the ball more than the PG. And that was when he was playing with Mario Chalmers bum a*s.
+4   

7 days ago '14        #24
space
space
 WoodPipe said
Imagine averaging more and still missing the playoffs
Imagine any team in the history of the NBA making the playoffs when 4 out of 5 starters (as well as multiple role players) have missed over 100 games combined due to injuries.

[pic - click to view]

I wouldn’t expect a casual to know that though
+2   

7 days ago '06        #25
Sir Mike 13 heat pts13
space
space
$5,712 | Props total: 1259 1259
Davis is leaving us, so the best thing we can do is get the most for him. If that means trading him to the Lakers than so be it. Your number 1 goal is to put together the best team to win a championship. Theres no place for ego or feelings as a GM/owner.
+5   

Home      

most viewed right now
online now  53
Image(s) inside Big U EXPOSED As OWNER Of "CRIP LLC" Trying STEAL NIPSEY "TMC SLOGAN",..
195 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+76online now  39
NBA 10 Things you Didn't Know About The 1996 Bulls
117 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+31online now  24
Image(s) inside The Jamaican drink that gives you extra inches in bed