Sony CEO: Consoles a 'niche market' within the games industry

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

3 weeks ago '09        #1
2808 page views
70 comments

Tiko377 1996 heat pts1996
space
space
$17,607 | Props total: 13015 13015
Sony CEO: Consoles a 'niche market' within the games industry

Sony chief exec Jim Ryan has suggested consoles now exist in a 'niche market' within the wider games industry.

Speaking during a recent investor relations Q&A (via ResetEra), Ryan was asked about the importance of the Sony's console business as the PlayStation maker moves forward, and responded by explaining that the console market is "not a major market."

"If you look at the game industry as a whole, the console market is not a major market, rather it's a niche market, if you will," he commented. "But for core gamers, immersive experiences are something we would like to value."

"In this respect, for the time being, the console as something that brings about computing functionality to the users is very important, but on the other hand, technology will progress, and so as I said today, the Remote Play and PlayStation Now, the streaming services will be worked on in parallel, that is what we are doing at this moment."

Although Sony is hard at work developing the work-in-progress PlayStation 5, which will deliver lighting quick load times and rendering thanks to the inclusion of an SSD, the company has emphasized how streaming will be integral to the future of its games business.

It's for that reason Sony and Microsoft recently joined forces to co-develop cloud and artificial intelligence tech that can be used to support their individual streaming services, and why game streaming platforms like the Google Stadia and Project xCloud have been making headlines.

visit this link https://www.gamasutra.com .. s_industry.php
+2   

70 comments for "Sony CEO: Consoles a 'niche market' within the games industry"

3 weeks ago '08        #2
Kewop Decam 94 heat pts94
space
space
space
$18,927 | Props total: 17697 17697
he's right
+2   

3 weeks ago '04        #3
cold_young_thug 47 heat pts47
space
space
$11,100 | Props total: 4488 4488
They teamed up to help push an all-digital agenda in which their operating costs go WAYYYYYY down, while profits go waaaaay up.

Sorry, i still need a console with physical games.
+27   

3 weeks ago '14        #4
Sphynx 162 heat pts162
space
space
$12,793 | Props total: 47289 47289
No need to keep selling McMuffin boxes at a loss to appease old heads.

You can introduce a new generation of children to the idea that consoles are outdated and keep those kids indoctrinated with that idea for life as customers.

Can’t be afraid to evolve the model. If the old heads really about that gaming sh*t they’ll come around
+1   

3 weeks ago '15        #5
SeraphKin 8 heat pts
space
space
$9,646 | Props total: 40759 40759
I'm a console game player because I dont have time to play this sh*t. No console im. Not playing sh*t
+6   

3 weeks ago '06        #6
xastey 25 heat pts25
space
space
$6,937 | Props total: 3395 3395
I constantly see top sales for console games compared to PC... I guess steam doesn't publish those or what? I legit dont know but everytime I see a game has reached some sale milestone it has mostly been on console.

So yeah niche but people like console. You have to think.. most people work at a desk, near a pc.. I want to get away from a pc when I come home and relax.

Not everyone is like me but a lot are. Money is there for console.. sh*t isn't going anywhere until games move away from consoles.
+8   

3 weeks ago '16        #7
mobchip 4 heat pts
space
space
$2,955 | Props total: 5783 5783
Sony and Microsoft need to put money together and make a communications satellite. Sell the next XBOX and PS5 with a satellite reception dish. Have the next XBOX and PS5 be able to access multiple SSD.

I don't wanna stream games. I want physical copies, a console, and a better way to receive digital games that cuts out the internet service providers.
+1   

3 weeks ago '06        #8
991 40 heat pts40
space
space
$7,966 | Props total: 5539 5539
 cold_young_thug said
They teamed up to help push an all-digital agenda in which their operating costs go WAYYYYYY down, while profits go waaaaay up.

Can someone tell me why current gen consoles don't read the disc anymore. Serves more like a purpose of a key to play the game. What's the technical reason why consoles dont play straight from the disc anymore?
+1   

3 weeks ago '14        #9
bangaondatrack 
space
space
$494 | Props total: 1577 1577
 991 said
Can someone tell me why current gen consoles don't read the disc anymore. Serves more like a purpose of a key to play the game. What's the technical reason why consoles dont play straight from the disc anymore?
Blu ray has a slow read speed, too slow for gaming. Game disc these days are exactly what you said, a physical key for a digital product.
+2   

3 weeks ago '05        #10
Micheal C. Will 33 heat pts33
space
space
$31,809 | Props total: 30007 30007
 Sphynx said

You can introduce a new generation of children to the idea that consoles are outdated and keep those kids indoctrinated with that idea for life as customers.

Canít be afraid to evolve the model. If the old heads really about that gaming sh*t theyíll come around
It's not just the old heads bruh, alot of people young and old still console game.

PC gamers If I had to guess are mostly old heads....30 and up.
+2   

3 weeks ago '09        #11
ShadyVsEminem 252 heat pts252
space
space
$23,346 | Props total: 9774 9774
PSVR is a niche market to say consoles are is a stretch
+4   

3 weeks ago '07        #12
boobizzy 24 heat pts24
space
space
space
$4,868 | Props total: 2820 2820
 cold_young_thug said

You one of those old school hard headed cats that canít let go of the past lmao
+1   

3 weeks ago '10        #13
catch22 18 heat pts18
space
space
$2,089 | Props total: 2058 2058
Mobile gaming is probably the biggest market holder. You'll see more people playing some type of bejeweled game on the train than folks playing on their computer at home.

Console gaming will never be until Nintendo starts making their IPs for PC.
+3   

3 weeks ago '06        #14
991 40 heat pts40
space
space
$7,966 | Props total: 5539 5539
 bangaondatrack said
Blu ray has a slow read speed, too slow for gaming. Game disc these days are exactly what you said, a physical key for a digital product.
Thanks for the answer. That sucks though. Makes you feel like we are already halfway to all digital which I guess we are.
+2   

3 weeks ago '09        #15
dadon85 137 heat pts137
space
space
space
$34,315 | Props total: 18714 18714
I remember hearing something about ultra violet ray to replace blu ray. Wonder what discs ps5 using with 8k gaming

3 weeks ago '16        #16
mobchip 4 heat pts
space
space
$2,955 | Props total: 5783 5783
 bangaondatrack said
I don't mind that at all. I want to still have the game disc around as "physical key".

What happens to Stadia when the ISP experience an outage? Nintendo was broadcasting games to the Super Famicom via Satellaview in 1997-2001. You can opt to download the game via BS-X cartridge and memory pak. The service provider experience an outage, and your power also goes out, hook up your Super Famicom and TV to a UPS and your good.

The console will always be a solid choice for my gaming needs forever.
+1   

3 weeks ago '08        #17
Kewop Decam 94 heat pts94
space
space
space
$18,927 | Props total: 17697 17697
 ShadyVsEminem said
PSVR is a niche market to say consoles are is a stretch
by the numbers, it's not. The top "game playing device" are cellphones and cellphone games make MUCH MORE than console games.

Supercell out here making games that net them 20million a month. console devs would k*ll their own mom for that.
+1   

3 weeks ago '04        #18
cold_young_thug 47 heat pts47
space
space
$11,100 | Props total: 4488 4488
 boobizzy said
You one of those old school hard headed cats that canít let go of the past lmao
and u must be one of dem skinny jean wearin, watch other ppl play games cat.
+6   

3 weeks ago '04        #19
Ra-da-god 36 heat pts36
space
space
$13,366 | Props total: 4334 4334
 cold_young_thug said
and u must be one of dem skinny jean wearin, watch other ppl play games cat.
+2   

3 weeks ago '04        #20
Ra-da-god 36 heat pts36
space
space
$13,366 | Props total: 4334 4334
I'm sorry I gotta own my games we pay too much for this sh*t

however I'm down with the cloud sh*t too only for certain types of games tho
+4   

3 weeks ago '06        #21
Kingme 23 heat pts23
space
space
$12,710 | Props total: 12874 12874
 xastey said
I constantly see top sales for console games compared to PC... I guess steam doesn't publish those or what? I legit dont know but everytime I see a game has reached some sale milestone it has mostly been on console.

So yeah niche but people like console. You have to think.. most people work at a desk, near a pc.. I want to get away from a pc when I come home and relax.

Not everyone is like me but a lot are. Money is there for console.. sh*t isn't going anywhere until games move away from consoles.
The PC as a gaming platform is even more niche than consoles. Cellphone/tablet games are the biggest market. Apple and Android mobile devices outsell Xbox and PlayStation combined and it's more games being played on phones and tablets.

The console is about to go extinct. People are going to be downloading Xbox, PlayStation, and Nintendo apps on the devices they watch Netflix on to play games. The app will be free and you just need a controller.

Steam should of beat everyone to it but they were too busy trying to finesse the jackasses dropping a $1000 a year on new computer parts to buy a Steam Machine

3 weeks ago '05        #22
yunsta 29 heat pts29
space
space
$2,169 | Props total: 1328 1328
So how are most people gaming if not on console?
+1   

3 weeks ago '06        #23
xastey 25 heat pts25
space
space
$6,937 | Props total: 3395 3395
 Kingme said
The PC as a gaming platform is even more niche than consoles. Cellphone/tablet games are the biggest market. Apple and Android mobile devices outsell Xbox and PlayStation combined and it's more games being played on phones and tablets.

The console is about to go extinct. People are going to be downloading Xbox, PlayStation, and Nintendo apps on the devices they watch Netflix on to play games. The app will be free and you just need a controller.

Steam should of beat everyone to it but they were too busy trying to finesse the jackasses dropping a $1000 a year on new computer parts to buy a Steam Machine
I can see this happening but maybe in 10 years.. the graphics let alone batteries isn't ready yet.

You can see that console and PC games are taking strats from mobile games (ai gaming with MK11, loot boxes etc). Mobile gaming is so big due to the cost of entry and the amount of instant gratification people need now a days. You can try a game out.. and uninstall in a matter of minutes. Finding the game you want.. now allow a trial period of digital games and watch sales go up.

With how so many PC and console games have failed the consumer within having the game for a few weeks or even at launch, I can see how both Pc And Console have turned into a niche platform.

But they aren't going away, that's like saying balloon pr0n or bsdm pr0n is going away because it's niche... Or even that family type sh*t... People like it... People will continue to make it.. same sh*t happens with gaming.

3 weeks ago '07        #24
Optimus Crime 5 heat pts
space
space
$10,511 | Props total: 5994 5994
 Sphynx said

Can’t be afraid to evolve the model. If the old heads really about that gaming sh*t they’ll come around
Lol so happy to chastise "old heads" while making the handling of you licensing fees more inconvenient to yourself.

Not to mention bandwidth data caps with ISPs down the road... i prefer the disk license over the online one...

Last edited by Optimus Crime; 05-27-2019 at 03:04 PM..
+3   

3 weeks ago '06        #25
V For Vendetta 5 heat pts
space
space
$3,152 | Props total: 7073 7073
I also remember the "death Of PC Gaming" a few years ago; now there are more PC gamers than ever.

Consoles will never go anywhere because there's still many people and many parts of the world that don't have high-speed internet capabilities.

There are still people complaining right now about the massive patches they have to download before they play certain games.

Buy a new game, pop in a disc, and now there's 20GBs of patches you have to download first, and if you have slow internet, see you in a few hours. There are still a ton of places in the US where their best option is dial-up.

Last edited by V For Vendetta; 05-26-2019 at 11:13 AM..
+2   

Home      

most viewed right now
+70online now  32
audio inside Pusha T ft. Lauryn Hill - Coming Home (Unreleased)
77 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+56online now  29
Video inside Heavy
28 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+20online now  28
Jun 14 - Bootleg liquor eyed as cause of Dominican Republic tourist deaths