May 22 - Wreck of last slave ship from Africa located off Alabama coast

most viewed right now
+72  125
118 comments @sports
most viewed right now
+21  93
46 comments @sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

4 weeks ago '16        #1
5992 page views
182 comments

Aztlan 133 heat pts133
space
space
$13,676 | Props total: 37059 37059
May 22 - Wreck of last slave ship from Africa located off Alabama coast

Researchers have located the remains of the last known ship to have brought slaves to the U.S. from West Africa, Alabama historical officials announced Wednesday.

The Alabama Historical Commission confirmed that the Gulf schooner Clotilda was identified and verified after months of a*sessment.

"For nearly 160 years, the waters around Mobile have concealed the final destination of the Gulf Schooner Clotilda,Ē the commission said in a statement.

"The discovery of the Clotilda is an extraordinary archaeological find," said Lisa Demetropoulos Jones, executive director of the commission. "The voyage represented one of the darkest eras of modern history and is a profound discovery of the tangible evidence of slavery."

In 1860, Clotilda illegally transported 110 men, women and children to Mobile from what is now the African country of Benin. The ship was then taken into delta waters north of the port and burned.
The dimensions and construction of the wreck match those of the Clotilda, the commission said, as do building materials including locally sourced lumber and metal pieces made from pig iron. There are also signs of fire.

"We are cautious about placing names on shipwrecks that no longer bear a name or something like a bell with the ship's name on it," maritime archaeologist James Delgado said in a statement. "But the physical and forensic evidence powerfully suggests that this is Clotilda."

According to National Geographic, the smuggling venture originated with a wager by wealthy Mobile landowner and shipbuilder Tim Meaher, who bet a group of Northern businessmen that he could bring slaves to Alabama.

Importing slaves into the U.S. had been illegal since 1808 and federal anti-piracy laws had been changed in 1820 to make participating in the trade punishable by death. However, the ban did not deter smugglers who traveled the Atlantic with wooden ships full of people in chains. Southern plantation owners needed workers for their cotton fields.

According to the online Encyclopedia of Alabama, approximately 25 of the Africans who were taken on board the Clotilda were sold to slave traders. Sixty others were divvied up between Meaher and two of his relatives, while "between five and eight" were given to the ship's captain, William Foster as payment for the voyage.

The captives were freed from slavery following the Civil War and about 30 of them used the money earned working in fields, homes and vessels to purchase land from the Meaher family and settle in a community still known to this day as Africatown.

"Residents of Africatown have carried the memory of their ancestors who were forcefully and violently migrated from Africa to the shores of Alabama," the commission said. "Since then, the final chapter of the Clotilda story has been shrouded in mystery."

The commission is expected to release the full report on their investigation into Clotilda next week at a community celebration in Africatown.

visit this link Fox News
+47   

182 comments for "May 22 - Wreck of last slave ship from Africa located off Alabama coast"

4 weeks ago '05        #2
Rockstar718 71 heat pts71
space
space
$12,369 | Props total: 15236 15236
That's the ship questlove ancestor was on
+31   

3 weeks ago '06        #3
datVAkid 45 heat pts45
space
space
$18,504 | Props total: 13547 13547
someone on hhere tried to tell me the slave trade never happened
+65   

3 weeks ago '16        #4
Aztlan 133 heat pts133 OP
space
space
 datVAkid said
A lot of guys on here think stuff like that.

The logic is so dumb too.

"If the slave trade is real, how come I've never seen a slave ship?"

Questions like that have such simple answer that its crazy people use that thinking to justify arguing against the trans-Atlantic slave trade ever occurring.
+67   

3 weeks ago '05        #5
kriskross00 133 heat pts133
space
space
$23,101 | Props total: 42884 42884
 Aztlan said

Questions like that have such simple answer that its crazy people use that thinking to justify arguing against the trans-Atlantic slave trade ever occurring.
Ppl really say that sh*t?
+18   

3 weeks ago '04        #6
Chronos 12 heat pts12
space
space
$8,530 | Props total: 5743 5743
 datVAkid said
What idiot said that please spill that tea I need to know who I need to flame.
+9   

3 weeks ago '17        #7
lucifershammer 17 heat pts17
space
space
$5,497 | Props total: 26767 26767
 datVAkid said
They'll show up

Just wait

A post like this to them is like chum to a shark
+31   

3 weeks ago '07        #8
A-L-P 8 heat pts
space
space
space
$5,744 | Props total: 4007 4007
 Aztlan said

My favorite is "but but but it wasn't white people's fault because most of the slave ships and ports were owned by jews."
+31   

3 weeks ago '16        #9
Aztlan 133 heat pts133 OP
space
space
 A-L-P said
My favorite is "but but but it wasn't white people's fault because most of the slave ships and ports were owned by jews."
+11   

3 weeks ago '14        #10
ODC 
space
space
$129 | Props total: 217 217
One of the last known survivors of the Atlantic slave trade, Cudjo Lewis, came to America aboard that ship.
+22   

3 weeks ago '17        #11
HipHopJunkie 2 heat pts
space
space
$1,351 | Props total: 2519 2519
Only 110 slaves on one ship huh?

But apparently they transported 100 million or some sh*t like that all while being at war?

Yea ok

3 weeks ago '04        #12
dc3003 135 heat pts135
space
space
$50,212 | Props total: 54012 54012
 A-L-P said
U act like thousands of white people didn't die trying to help free slaves and that only 1 percent of white people owned slaves.......... know your roll , bi*ch

[tweet - click to view]

My favorite lol u sound like a football trying to act cool but every one that heard u knows just that you are a corn ball

Last edited by dc3003; 05-23-2019 at 12:34 AM..

3 weeks ago '17        #13
Chozen Ones 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$7,522 | Props total: 10397 10397
 dc3003 said
U act like thousands of white people didn't die trying to help free slaves and that only 1 percent of white people owned slaves.......... know your roll , bi*ch

My favorite lol u sound like a football trying to act cool but every one that heard u knows just that you are a corn ball

U wasnít even there. Why you so ashamed and minimizing American slavery and the ripple effects?
+23   

3 weeks ago '18        #14
danneywilliams 64 heat pts64
space
space
$2,389 | Props total: 5325 5325
 Aztlan said

Lmao pretty sure you were being trolled, dude. I don't think anyone doubts slavery happened. What I don't like is how Hollywood makes it seem like all white people owned slaves back in the day. It was only a small percent and even black people owned slaves, too. That just proves that slavery wasn't about racism but taking advantage of a commodity. Like other dude said, white people fought other white people to end that sh*t so some props should go to those white people.

Meanwhile, we have actual slaves TODAY in places like Libya due to ...*gasp* THE FIRST BLACK PRESIDENT.

The fu*king irony.

Last edited by danneywilliams; 05-23-2019 at 01:43 AM..

3 weeks ago '07        #15
A-L-P 8 heat pts
space
space
space
 dc3003 said

U act like thousands of white people didn't die trying to help free slaves
1. We should not have been slaves in the first place. You don't get points for doing the right thing.

2. They were actually f*ghting to keep the union intact, protect northern industrial capitalism, and to prevent an unfair political advantage in the south (the 3/5th's compromise). In fact, Lincoln didn't even issue the emancipation until 3 years into the war when the north was getting their a*s kicked. The civil war wasn't a humanitarian mission, it was just like every other war.....fought over money and power. You really think with the racial attitudes of the 1860's, white soldiers were rushing to the recruiting office like "I'm here to free some slaves"? If so, you probably believe the narrative about us f*ghting in Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan to bring them freedom and democracy.

only 1 percent of white people owned slaves.......... know your roll , bi*ch
Where did you get this info from? In states such as Alabama and Mississipi alone, slave ownership was as high as 60%. In fact, slave ownership in the south was about as common as a bachelor degree is today. The only reason why ownership wasn't higher than what it was is because of the cost. The rate of ownership varied from state to state but overall, but it's estimated 30% of the southern population on average were slave owners.

The old "employing black ‘surrogates’ to validate your ideas on racial topics to shield you from accusations of racism" tactic.

Last edited by A-L-P; 05-23-2019 at 02:09 AM..
+54   

3 weeks ago '07        #16
A-L-P 8 heat pts
space
space
space
 danneywilliams said
Lmao pretty sure you were being trolled, dude. I don't think anyone doubts slavery happened. What I don't like is how Hollywood makes it seem like all white people owned slaves back in the day. It was only a small percent and even black people owned slaves, too. That just proves that slavery wasn't about racism but taking advantage of a commodity. Like other dude said, white people fought other white people to end that sh*t so some props should go to those white people.

Meanwhile, we have actual slaves TODAY in places like Libya due to ...*gasp* THE FIRST BLACK PRESIDENT.

The fu*king irony.
What I don't like is how Hollywood makes it seem like all white people owned slaves back in the day.
Give me an example of how Hollywood make it seem like ALL white people owned slaves? Is that just a projection on your part?

It was only a small percent
Even if most white people did not own slaves, they still benefited from the trickle-down effect, socially and financially. Slavery was the economic catalyst for the US becoming an economic global power and that made everything else possible going forward. Many industries were created from the slave economy, such as slave catchers, stocks, and even renting out slaves to non slave-owners for s*x and labor. Similar to how most people don't own oil rigs today, but we all benefit from the trickle down indirectly.

No, it was not a small percentage that owned slaves. Some states in the south had household slave ownership rates as high as 60%. The only reason more people did not get involved was because they could not afford to do it.

even black people owned slaves, too.
Yes, there were thousands of black slave owners (in comparison with millions of white owners), but what that narrative conveniently fails to mention is a majority of black slave owners had to buy their relatives or wives out of bondage once they obtained their freedom. So, technically they were slave owners on paper, but the reality is most of them went back to their old plantation to purchase their relatives from their masters (similar to how Django went back to the plantation to purchase his lover). Slavery had it's complexities and outliers, but overall it was a white dominated industry. Why can't y'all just own the ugly parts of y'all history without all the revisionism and mental gymnastics?

Like other dude said, white people fought other white people to end that sh*t so some props should go to those white people.
White people didn't f*ght other white people to end slavery. That's just a narrative y'all run with because it feels good. The civil war was an economic war, not a humanitarian mission. If they were so concerned about how black people were being treated, it would not have taken an additional 100 years to gain basic rights.

Meanwhile, we have actual slaves TODAY in places like Libya
Yes, there are slaves in Libya, and it sucks but I don't for one second believe you're bringing that up because you genuinely care about it, you just see it as a good deflection tool. And why bring up slavery in another nation when we're talking about slavery in the U.S and how it affects us here? By your logic, we shouldn't worry about poverty, homeless, and political corruption in the US because it happens in other countries as well.

Last edited by A-L-P; 05-23-2019 at 04:49 AM..
+56   

3 weeks ago '05        #17
Nyse03 17 heat pts17
space
space
$10,685 | Props total: 3678 3678
 datVAkid said
I donít believe it happened the way they say it did. It never does.

3 weeks ago '18        #18
SFamilyRep 16 heat pts16
space
space
$4,877 | Props total: 23438 23438
 A-L-P said
This is hilarious, cuz it definitely was their fault

Last edited by SFamilyRep; 05-23-2019 at 03:48 AM..
+12   

3 weeks ago '19        #19
King of Snakes 64 heat pts64
space
space
$1,093 | Props total: 5375 5375
I wanna travel to Benin one day.
+4   

3 weeks ago '06        #20
datVAkid 45 heat pts45
space
space
$18,504 | Props total: 13547 13547
 Nyse03 said
of course not, it was much worse...
+26   

3 weeks ago '07        #21
A-L-P 8 heat pts
space
space
space
 StillSFamilyRep said
This is hilarious, cuz it definitely was their fault
To most people, it’s obvious they played a large part in the American slave trade but the revisionism and mental gymnastics is a defense mechanism to protect their worldview.

It’s no coincidence that people who usually downplay, deflect, and rationalize the horrors of slavery are the descendants of the group who dominated the institution of chattel slavery in America.

Last edited by A-L-P; 05-23-2019 at 05:00 AM..
+14   

3 weeks ago '17        #22
QdobaCasanova 12 heat pts12
space
space
$10,395 | Props total: 29659 29659
 kriskross00 said
Ppl really say that sh*t?
B.o.B did.
+5   

3 weeks ago '17        #23
QdobaCasanova 12 heat pts12
space
space
$10,395 | Props total: 29659 29659
 danneywilliams said
Lmao pretty sure you were being trolled, dude. I don't think anyone doubts slavery happened. What I don't like is how Hollywood makes it seem like all white people owned slaves back in the day. It was only a small percent and even black people owned slaves, too. That just proves that slavery wasn't about racismbut taking advantage of a commodity. Like other dude said, white people fought other white people to end that sh*t so some props should go to those white people.

The fu*king irony.
+4   

3 weeks ago '07        #24
A-L-P 8 heat pts
space
space
space
 Nyse03 said
From every book Iíve read on the topic (some from actual slaves), it was much more horrifying and complex than most people imagine. Itís always taught to us in a reductive, oversimplified and watered down manner.
+25   

3 weeks ago '16        #25
Yaggy 5 heat pts
space
space
$2,752 | Props total: 3718 3718
 HipHopJunkie said
Only 110 slaves on one ship huh?

But apparently they transported 100 million or some sh*t like that all while being at war?

Yea ok
can you do math?

25 ships of 110 ppl everyday for 400 years son
+29   

Home      

most viewed right now
+32online now  53
Image(s) inside Bre
11 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now