DaOmega_1 reviews "Brightburn"

most viewed right now
25 comments @sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

4 weeks ago '05        #1
1770 page views
47 comments

DaOmega_1 296 heat pts296
space
space
$15,272 | Props total: 8581 8581
DaOmega_1 reviews "Brightburn"

“Brightburn” is a premise in search of a movie. It’s a skeleton without skin, muscle, a brain, or a heart. It has a foundation, but neglects building anything on top of it. As a result, you get a movie that feels like the filmmakers only had an idea, and literally nothing else. I’m annoyed by this movie.

“Brightburn” reimagines the Superman origin story, but takes a slight detour from it by imaging him as a villain (never mind the fact that “Superman: Red Son” already did this, but whatever). This film lives and dies based off the strength of its premise. But, the premise itself isn’t strong enough to support a movie. But, the filmmakers know this, and to compensate, they pad it out with useless mundane bullsh*t so the film can limp its way to 90 minutes… Which is about 70 minutes longer than it needs to be in its current state. While watching, this just screams “not a movie”. Trim the fat (of which there’s a lot), and this is a solid short film, or a decent pilot for a Netflix show.

As it stands, the film puts its central character Brandon (Jackson A. Dunn) at one speed early on, and he stays there… static, wallowing in evilness. This evilness doesn’t develop, doesn’t evolve, nor does it even sprout from something concrete or emotional. It’s just there, ceaselessly pounding you over the head with it until its brutally dark ending lands with a dull flaccid thud. As a result, a lot of the film is painfully boring.

Every other character is portrayed like bumbling idiots. No one acts the way humans would act in this, like its the filmmakers trying to rush into the next k*ll… Speaking of which, aside from one really, they’re lacking. There’s lots of blood and gore, but you don’t feel any of it. To be fair, it’d be fine if they weren’t all that great of k*lls if there were just more of them. It takes awhile for this film to get anywhere interesting. And, when it does, it’s over and the credits roll.

I can’t help but judge this movie based on what’s not in it. And, what’s not in it is pretty much everything that would give an audience an entry into its world. It leaves questions unanswered, but it does so in a way that’s designed to fool audiences into thinking they’re holding back answers for a sequel. Which is lazy and arrogant on the part of the filmmakers. Because, it relegates the actual interesting material not found here to a theoretical sequel that doesn’t, and might not ever, exist.

That’s what makes this film so goddamn frustrating… Because, potential is there. But, it’s the film’s complete and total lack of character development and world building that makes this feel under inflated and dull. And, with most of the other aspects of the movie being… just kinda okay, there's no real reason to rush out to see this. The acting is passable. The visuals are fine. The one centerpiece sequence in the film, the Diner scene, feels like the most accomplished scene in the entire movie… Like they built this film around that particular set piece. It’s the best scene in the movie, but that scene… pretty much in its entirety, can be found on youtube.

So, the best part of the movie doesn’t even require you to go see it in order to watch it. That’s “Brightburn”. There’s potential, but "potential" is not what I’m reviewing. I’m reviewing the movie I watched. And, the movie isn't good. It ain't a terrible movie exactly, but it's a terribly mediocre one. It lacks the fundamentals that would make any of this pop, or make it memorable. I don’t understand not leaning harder into this concept. The filmmakers had an opportunity to build out a strong story with an interesting mythology. But, they settled for just frolicking carelessly within the confines of the premise, never doing anything inventive or unique with it. What a waste.

Go see something else.
+17   

47 comments for "DaOmega_1 reviews "Brightburn""

4 weeks ago '04        #2
Dash 222 heat pts222
space
space
space
$14,176 | Props total: 39266 39266
Movie is dope as fukk...

Form yall own opinions

Young Kal El in the form of horror ain't a premise to be taken lightly

First time ever seen on screen. I expect this film to be the talk of the summer
+4   

4 weeks ago '05        #3
DaOmega_1 296 heat pts296 OP
space
space
 Dash said
Movie is dope as fukk...

Form yall own opinions
Oh wow, I didn't know that's how opinions worked!

+9   

4 weeks ago '04        #4
Dash 222 heat pts222
space
space
space
Ni99a u the one sittin up here tellin them to go see sumthin else

Thats ur opinion. Thats fine as well.

Last edited by Dash; 05-21-2019 at 11:44 AM..
+5   

4 weeks ago '05        #5
space
space
 Dash said
Ni99a u the one sittin up here tellin them to go see sumthin else

Thats ur opinion. Thats fine as well
Yes, because it's a review. Reviews act primarily as recommendations based off a critic's opinion. My opinion is, this movie is a redbox/rental at best. I don't think it's worth the ticket price, matinee or otherwise, to see it. In fact, watching it at home might make it a better experience.
+3   

4 weeks ago '04        #6
Dash 222 heat pts222
space
space
space
'We got lucky with superman, he shared out values. The next superman may not' -- amanda waller
+4   

4 weeks ago '18        #7
MaFF 
space
space
$173 | Props total: 417 417
Seen it yesterday sh*t was trash
+3   

4 weeks ago '04        #8
Wizzarino 
space
space
$16,146 | Props total: 4706 4706
Your reviews are a good read, but I have to take them with a grain of salt...
+1   

4 weeks ago '04        #9
ATLDOPEBOI30 77 heat pts77
space
space
$35,162 | Props total: 10158 10158
It was meh

4 weeks ago '16        #10
Givenchyx 317 heat pts317
space
space
$2,801 | Props total: 11686 11686
Didn’t really like it I feel like it was rushed and the ending was blah
+1   

4 weeks ago '18        #11
MYDICKSOCOLD 8 heat pts
space
space
$2,004 | Props total: 8180 8180
will peep movie now

Last edited by MYDICKSOCOLD; 05-21-2019 at 02:13 PM..

4 weeks ago '08        #12
SlickJ101 26 heat pts26
space
space
$15,047 | Props total: 9266 9266

4 weeks ago '06        #13
new2hiphop 3 heat pts
space
space
space
$10,099 | Props total: 37278 37278
It’s was different, felt it was building up to something that never came, decent movie tho. Never trusted white creepy lookin kids so
+2   

4 weeks ago '15        #14
edub911 
space
space
space
$3,040 | Props total: 2282 2282
 DaOmega_1 said

“Brightburn” is a premise in search of a movie. It’s a skeleton without skin, muscle, a brain, or a heart. It has a foundation, but neglects building anything on top of it. As a result, you get a movie that feels like the filmmakers only had an idea, and literally nothing else. I’m annoyed by this movie.

“Brightburn” reimagines the Superman origin story, but takes a slight detour from it by imaging him as a villain (never mind the fact that “Superman: Red Son” already did this, but whatever). This film lives and dies based off the strength of its premise. But, the premise itself isn’t strong enough to support a movie. But, the filmmakers know this, and to compensate, they pad it out with useless mundane bullsh*t so the film can limp its way to 90 minutes… Which is about 70 minutes longer than it needs to be in its current state. While watching, this just screams “not a movie”. Trim the fat (of which there’s a lot), and this is a solid short film, or a decent pilot for a Netflix show.

As it stands, the film puts its central character Brandon (Jackson A. Dunn) at one speed early on, and he stays there… static, wallowing in evilness. This evilness doesn’t develop, doesn’t evolve, nor does it even sprout from something concrete or emotional. It’s just there, ceaselessly pounding you over the head with it until its brutally dark ending lands with a dull flaccid thud. As a result, a lot of the film is painfully boring.

Every other character is portrayed like bumbling idiots. No one acts the way humans would act in this, like its the filmmakers trying to rush into the next k*ll… Speaking of which, aside from one really, they’re lacking. There’s lots of blood and gore, but you don’t feel any of it. To be fair, it’d be fine if they weren’t all that great of k*lls if there were just more of them. It takes awhile for this film to get anywhere interesting. And, when it does, it’s over and the credits roll.

I can’t help but judge this movie based on what’s not in it. And, what’s not in it is pretty much everything that would give an audience an entry into its world. It leaves questions unanswered, but it does so in a way that’s designed to fool audiences into thinking they’re holding back answers for a sequel. Which is lazy and arrogant on the part of the filmmakers. Because, it relegates the actual interesting material not found here to a theoretical sequel that doesn’t, and might not ever, exist.

That’s what makes this film so goddamn frustrating… Because, potential is there. But, it’s the film’s complete and total lack of character development and world building that makes this feel under inflated and dull. And, with most of the other aspects of the movie being… just kinda okay, there's no real reason to rush out to see this. The acting is passable. The visuals are fine. The one centerpiece sequence in the film, the Diner scene, feels like the most accomplished scene in the entire movie… Like they built this film around that particular set piece. It’s the best scene in the movie, but that scene… pretty much in its entirety, can be found on youtube.

So, the best part of the movie doesn’t even require you to go see it in order to watch it. That’s “Brightburn”. There’s potential, but "potential" is not what I’m reviewing. I’m reviewing the movie I watched. And, the movie isn't good. It ain't a terrible movie exactly, but it's a terribly mediocre one. It lacks the fundamentals that would make any of this pop, or make it memorable. I don’t understand not leaning harder into this concept. The filmmakers had an opportunity to build out a strong story with an interesting mythology. But, they settled for just frolicking carelessly within the confines of the premise, never doing anything inventive or unique with it. What a waste.

Go see something else.
5/10 seems rushed
+2   

4 weeks ago '19        #15
Supreme Doom 
space
space
$705 | Props total: 842 842
Yo this movie was great...

Kid landed amd we go ftom there...

Dont need extra ontop of a prenise that many already see as unoriginal technically.

This was a evil @$$ kid with all the reason not to pay society any mind

This isnt Superman. Its a premose of what if tjere was a Evil Superman type. I can't spoil it. But dont go into the movie thinking its some development of a Superman\Kal-el.

Its jist a "kid" with very simialr abilities. Turning evil.

OP review was shyt. So many Adverbs that dont say anything at all.

Anyone claiming this was a slow drag out movie is lying. Not everyone needs pointless character development when there isnt much variation.

It needs a seqeul. "Kid" gave out work left n right lmaoo
+1   

4 weeks ago '16        #16
SeanFiero 172 heat pts172
space
space
space
$6,121 | Props total: 13502 13502
Didn't u say u liked it in the other thread

Edit- naw my mistake that wasn't you. You were trashing it from the get go. Your posts made me skeptical about seeing it. I saw it and enjoyed it

Last edited by SeanFiero; 05-21-2019 at 03:56 PM..
+2   

4 weeks ago '07        #17
TH35 112 heat pts112
space
space
$93,978 | Props total: 20927 20927
Amc a lister

I’ll see it maybe a week after it’s out though
+2   

4 weeks ago '15        #18
darealjstylez86 10 heat pts10
space
space
space
$434 | Props total: 460 460
 DaOmega_1 said
Yes, because it's a review. Reviews act primarily as recommendations based off a critic's opinion. My opinion is, this movie is a redbox/rental at best. I don't think it's worth the ticket price, matinee or otherwise, to see it. In fact, watching it at home might make it a better experience.
Lol but tickets are only bout $10???? WTF???

4 weeks ago '09        #19
whodatb1 330 heat pts330
space
space
space
$23,848 | Props total: 20722 20722
On another note....

That "see you yesterday" sh*t wasn't bad at all....

+2   

4 weeks ago '05        #20
rashcobar 15 heat pts15
space
space
$13,780 | Props total: 5939 5939
Review is spot on imho
+3   

4 weeks ago '04        #21
marcchrome 59 heat pts59
space
space
$14,246 | Props total: 5885 5885
Gonna watch soon

4 weeks ago '17        #22
Rich130 163 heat pts163
space
space
$3,916 | Props total: 11192 11192
 DaOmega_1 said
Same exact way i feel about DCEU Films

So in the future please spear me with your "i need to support" all CMB comments.

Thank You

Last edited by Rich130; 05-21-2019 at 06:54 PM..

4 weeks ago '05        #23
space
space
 Rich130 said
Same exact way i feel about DCEU Films

So in the future please spear me with your "i need to support" all CMB comments.

Thank You

What in the ever loving fu*k are you talking about, and how does it relate to this movie????

Good Lord, shut up.
+2   

4 weeks ago '16        #24
Swaggy Pea 23 heat pts23
space
space
$2,395 | Props total: 5889 5889
This is why reviews are good because half if not 100% of the time that persons opinion of a movie are never formed from a perspective of someone looking to enjoy a movie �� instead of going in to critique it.This is one of the few movies released this year that you aren’t obligated to see but you should

With that being said this movie is gonna do one of two things.Either it’s gonna p*ss comic book purist nerds off because of the reimagining of evil Superman or people are gonna be genuinely freaked out on how fast things turn for the worst on the many protagonists of the movie.

I’ll give it a 8/10 because the story is fleshed out enough that you know where things are going but you have no idea how crazy it gets.Its the good son meets Man Of Steel
+3   

4 weeks ago '04        #25
Dash 222 heat pts222
space
space
space
 Swaggy Pea said
This is why reviews are good because half if not 100% of the time that persons opinion of a movie are never formed from a perspective of someone looking to enjoy a movie �� instead of going in to critique it.This is one of the few movies released this year that you aren’t obligated to see but you should

With that being said this movie is gonna do one of two things.Either it’s gonna p*ss comic book purist nerds off because of the reimagining of evil Superman or people are gonna be genuinely freaked out on how fast things turn for the worst on the many protagonists of the movie.

I’ll give it a 8/10 because the story is fleshed out enough that you know where things are going but you have no idea how crazy it gets.Its the good son meets Man Of Steel
truth

one thing i've noticed reading early reviews online, imdb, youtube etc.

alot of people don't like the movie due to the hopelessness factor. shyt just makes me like the film even more. mafuggerz talkin bout they were hoping they're would be a protagonist to come and resolve the situation, well, this ain't that.

the perspective is compelling to say the least. haven't had a film on my mind this much since last year.
+4   

Home      

most viewed right now
+23online now  68
Image(s) inside The Jamaican drink that gives you extra inches in bed
203 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+219online now  50
Image(s) inside Bruvs I found a sub reddit that yall might like.
119 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+71online now  42
Image(s) inside Social Anxiety Thot
49 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
online now  22
Image(s) inside How tall is zendaya