Google is using Gmail to track your purchases

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

4 weeks ago '15        #1
848 page views
21 comments

BuyGold 3486 heat pts3486
space
space
$11,330 | Props total: 54436 54436
Google is using Gmail to track your purchases

Google's business relies on gathering information about its users and customers, so the company take every opportunity it can to reap as much data as possible. As such, it should surprise no one to learn that Google has been using Gmail to keep a record of things you have bought -- both online and offline.

A little-known page (it's not exactly secret, but nor is it made particularly obvious) of your Google account reveals years of purchases. Google insists that the data on the Purchases page can only be seen by individuals, and is not used to tailor ads, but the clandestine, opaque nature of the tracking -- coupled with the fact that the data is tricky to delete -- is unlikely to go down well with Gmail users with concerns about privacy.

The existence of the Purchases page was highlighted by CNBC, which points out that Google not only keeps a record of online purchases, but also uses digital receipts to record some offline purchases. You can check out just what Google has recorded about your purchases by heading to the Purchases page of your account. You'll probably finding a record of your buying history stretching back a number of years.

Google issued a statement saying:
To help you easily view and keep track of your purchases, bookings and subscriptions in one place, we've created a private destination that can only be seen by you. You can delete this information at any time. We don't use any information from your Gmail messages to serve you ads, and that includes the email receipts and confirmations shown on the Purchase page.

The company is correct in saying that this information can be deleted, but this a*sumes that you knew it existed in the first place. Deletion is also something of a pain; there is no option to mass-delete everything, and instead you have to manually work through each item. You will then be prompted to delete the email that Google gathered the information from.

There is no way to stop purchase information being collated in this way, and Google has not revealed how long the data has been collected like this.
visit this link https://betanews.com/2019 .. ing-purchases/
+3   

21 comments for "Google is using Gmail to track your purchases"

4 weeks ago '07        #2
Jayceon 518 heat pts518
space
space
$28,768 | Props total: 3101 3101
Yeah no sh*t.

They also know what pr0n you like.

All of it.
+15   

4 weeks ago '15        #3
BuyGold 3486 heat pts3486 OP
space
space
 Jayceon said
Yeah no sh*t.

All of it.
+7   

4 weeks ago '04        #4
tnice 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$2,985 | Props total: 9012 9012
yeah do a google or any kind of search and suddenly you see facebook ads for the same sh*t and when you open a site you'll see ads that you just queried
+7   

4 weeks ago '14        #6
Greenghost2212 3 heat pts
space
space
$4,073 | Props total: 1651 1651
I been knew this. Been going on for years now. I been peeped how I get adds for everything I Google or bought online.
+3   

4 weeks ago '07        #7
iswerve 196 heat pts196
space
space
$6,955 | Props total: 13554 13554
google even knows what im thinking before i type it in o_0
+5   

4 weeks ago '13        #8
J Thrilla 3 heat pts
space
space
$5,405 | Props total: 15197 15197
 iswerve said
That's because there's an built in API in the search bar. It usually knows what you're gonna search based what you previously search for or anything remotely close to it. They also know by what sites you visit too.

Pretty much it's machine learning and some of A.I.

That's why it's better to use incognito mode when you're searching for flights or booking hotels.

I highly suggest you guys really need to read user agreements, terms & conditions and privacy policy. Most questions are answered.
+5   

4 weeks ago '05        #9
jaedot 27 heat pts27
space
space
$5,396 | Props total: 9086 9086
oh no

4 weeks ago '18        #10
Eyesofchaos 
space
space
$239 | Props total: 276 276
Lmfao if you only knew. Learned about this 13 years ago when I was still in highschool. Will never forget what he said about targeted advertising and tracking/cookies. Now this sh*t is INSANE. They can get your keystrokes and lets say you think about writing someone an email and you safe it as a draft, tgey still got it (as learned in the ongoing NXIVM case). Google is also aiding China in their facial recognition tracking and intergrating it with China's "social credit score" which is slowly making it's way here.

[pic - click to view]

+3   

4 weeks ago '05        #11
barber 
space
space
space
$373 | Props total: 497 497
“My Brain Is Google

I am an omniscient mind that can access unlimited storage data.
When I attended school, the teachers couldn’t teach me anything because I had the school curriculum embedded in the back of my mind.
I am a luminary in every sphere of knowledge known to all of humanity.
I am a geek, I am a genius, I am a wizard, and I am one entity filled with innumerable brilliance.
When scientists wish to have a public discourse with me, think Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, and Stephen Hawking.
I can point everybody who is lost in life in the right direction because I am a GPS, seeing the beginning and the ending of each of our destinations.
My brain is like a sponge, absorbing the shared information being processed into my memory from all corners of the world.
I remember being at school, and all the jocks thought they were the best thing since sliced bread.
They used to try to pick on me at recess because I was skinny, with a protruding Adam’s apple, and I wore bifocals.
The jocks would push me around, thinking I was feeble, and I tolerated it for a little[…]”

Excerpt From
Food for Thought
Duane Ashley Poole

This material may be protected by copyright.

4 weeks ago '17        #12
dubsax 16 heat pts16
space
space
$9,431 | Props total: 29645 29645
you can use google tracking to your advantage.
back when I was looking for a certain tv to buy I memorized the model number and would type it into every open pc I could find. We have 100's where I work. After a few weeks I got a market reaction price, price ending in something other than .99. Many times the market reaction prices are near cost, they will do it briefly to judge demand. I bought t during this window and saved 3-400.
The price wen back up a day or two later.
+1   

4 weeks ago '15        #13
BuyGold 3486 heat pts3486 OP
space
space
 iswerve said

4 weeks ago '05        #14
BurninLz 35 heat pts35
space
space
$11,295 | Props total: 4879 4879
well no sh*t.

Boggles my mind how some people still have Android phones

4 weeks ago '08        #15
GoldBluded 736 heat pts736
space
space
$23,576 | Props total: 43387 43387
 Jayceon said
Yeah no sh*t.

All of it.
And the faces you make when you ejaculate

4 weeks ago '04        #16
Exs 473 heat pts473
space
space
$13,721 | Props total: 31911 31911

[pic - click to view]

4 weeks ago '08        #17
RokkyRok 53 heat pts53
space
space
$6,846 | Props total: 793 793
Google and Facebook have all the data in the world on you but what they don't have is the ability to process & apply it on an individual scale.

Facebook gets close but google can't get there because there are too many variables (public wifi, shared mac addresses, multiple devices). But FB has poor data integrity which causes too much noise for it to be trustworthy.

We're still at least 5 years away from being in the danger zone.
+2   

4 weeks ago '15        #18
dawunonli 2 heat pts
space
space
$1,509 | Props total: 1554 1554
I'm not a big fan of it but same time I don't pay to use google or gmail (which I frequently use) so I can't complain if they use the data to profit off it.

More of a "it is what it s" thing.

3 weeks ago '13        #19
mikejuheard 44 heat pts44
space
space
$33,939 | Props total: 51171 51171
That’s nothing new

Google been tracking

3 weeks ago '18        #20
Blaffy 156 heat pts156
space
space
$11,379 | Props total: 37773 37773
Just black seed oil and African soap!!!!

3 weeks ago '11        #21
Silencer 90 heat pts90
space
space
$5,420 | Props total: 7141 7141
Bruh you can turn all of the enabled tracking services off and theyre still gunna track u 3rd party or not

3 weeks ago '04        #22
Exs 473 heat pts473
space
space
$13,721 | Props total: 31911 31911
8 year old information

Home      

most viewed right now
+41online now  57
NBA Damon Jones to break major news Monday morning on Get Up ESPN
253 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+18online now  50
Jun 16 - He wanted to apologize for cutting off another driver. both end up dead
175 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
+51online now  49
Ayo...Im Gonna Bust a Nut In Her
48 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+17online now  15
Detroit rapper confirms Lil Durk was the shooter