The Doorbell Company That’s Selling Fear

most viewed right now
21 comments @sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

3 weeks ago '16        #1
2720 page views
32 comments

00010111 124 heat pts124
space
space
$4,537 | Props total: 16853 16853

An Amazon-owned firm is hiring editors to push local crime news to its users.

When news organizations think about competition from tech companies, it’s usually in terms of the audience’s attention and advertisers’ dollars. But if Amazon has its way, a new sort of competition may be coming from a mixture of surveillance, fear, and doorbells.

Amazon is currently looking to hire someone with the title “Managing Editor, News.” But it’s not for the entire Amazon empire—it’s for the small slice of it that makes security-focused doorbells, Ring. (Amazon bought Ring last year for more than $1 billion.)

Here’s the job description:

The Managing Editor, News will work on an exciting new opportunity within Ring to manage a team of news editors who deliver breaking crime news alerts to our neighbors. This position is best suited for a candidate with experience and passion for journalism, crime reporting, and people management. Having a knack for engaging storytelling that packs a punch and a strong nose for useful content are core skills that are essential to the success of this role. The candidate should be eager to join a dynamic, new media news team that is rapidly evolving and growing week by week.

The job requires at least five years’ experience “in breaking news, crime reporting, and/or editorial operations” and three years in management. Preferred traits include “deep and nuanced knowledge of American crime trends,” “strong news judgment that allows for quick decisions in a breaking news environment,” and experience using “social media channels to gather breaking news.”

That’s right: A doorbell company wants to report crime news. It already is, actually. Several people on LinkedIn describe their jobs as “news editors” at Ring.

I hope a really thoughtful person gets that job, but I’m going to go out on a limb and say that this is a really bad idea.

Crime has declined enormously over the past 25 years, but people’s perception of how much crime there is has not. A majority of Americans have said that crime is increasing in each of the past 16 years—despite crime in each major category being significantly lower today than it used to be.

A 2016 Pew survey found that only 15 percent of Americans believed (correctly) that crime was lower in 2016 than it had been in 2008—versus 57 percent who thought it had gotten worse. (Those inaccurate beliefs are not evenly distributed politically, with conservatives, Republicans, and Trump supporters each more likely to see dangers the statistics don’t support. A couple of hours spent watching Fox News makes the approach pretty clear.)

Gallup data show that a majority of Americans have only said that crime was getting better in their community once in the past 47 years—October 2001, when presumably they had other concerns to focus on.

These mistaken beliefs are driven largely by the editorial decisions of local media—especially local TV newscasts, which are just as bloody today as they were when murder rates were twice as high. There’s a term for it: “mean world syndrome,” the phenomenon where media consumption makes people see the world as more violent and dangerous than it really is. And TV has historically been the worst offender; a body of past research has shown that people who rely on local TV most for their local news are more fearful of crime; that local TV’s crime news disproportionately shows black criminals and increases racial fears; and that the more local TV news you watch, the more fearful you get.

Those fears and mistaken beliefs are important: Consuming more local TV crime news is a*sociated with supporting more punitive anti-crime measures, and reducing exposure to crime news can even increase presidential approval ratings.

Ring already has an app called Neighbors that, judging by its marketing, encourages people living in bucolic suburbs with wrought iron gates to feel as if they’re in the last un-zombified neighborhood in The Walking Dead (I a*sume this app is where this new managing editor’s work product will be found):

The Neighbors App is the new neighborhood watch that brings your community together to help create safer neighborhoods. With real-time crime and safety alerts from your neighbors, law enforcement and the Ring team, the Neighbors App proactively keeps you in the know. Criminals target neighborhoods, not individual homes. But with real-time crime and safety alerts from your neighbors, you’ll stay one step ahead of crime.

Basically, it’s an app that makes you want to see your neighborhood the same way that this screenshot does: Suspicious Stranger Crime Crime Stranger Crime Suspicious Suspicious Crime Crime Crime Crime Suspicious Stranger Crime.

So think about this managing-editor job. Ring wants to be “covering local crime” everywhere, down to the house and neighborhood level. So one managing editor, plus however many other people are on this team, is supposed to be creating a thoughtful, nonexploitative editorial product that is sending journalistically sound “breaking news crime alerts,” in real time, all across the country. Are they really delivering news or just regular pulses of fear in push-notification form? If that’s the job, it is literally impossible to do responsibly.

What bugs me about Ring’s approach is that it wants to bring in the credibility of journalism as a layer on top of the state of constant fear it promotes. A company that relies on people feeling unsafe to sell its products will now be able to take whatever trust professional journalism has left and put it to work toward that end. It’s like relying on the people who make antivirus software to tell you about the latest cybersecurity issues: Even when the reporting is sound, it’s still prone to exaggerating the scale of the threat and still aimed at making you so afraid that you give them money.

visit this link https://www.theatlantic.c .. e-news/588394/
+1   

32 comments for "The Doorbell Company That’s Selling Fear"

2 weeks ago '05        #2
bqstudios 8 heat pts
space
space
$2,641 | Props total: 5285 5285
hmmm, whats Nas gonna do abou this?

2 weeks ago '17        #3
Confidential 45 heat pts45
space
space
space
$1,399 | Props total: 15279 15279
 bqstudios said
hmmm, whats Nas gonna do abou this?
+5   

2 weeks ago '11        #4
BtMkRs 13 heat pts13
space
space
$9,646 | Props total: 10227 10227
Nas gonna enjoy the money he already made from it when the company sold
+2   

2 weeks ago '18        #5
Xperia 12 heat pts12
space
space
space
$878 | Props total: 3499 3499
So people are ok with the actual news using propaganda but when a company does it as a marketing tactic it's a problem? Interesting.
+13   

2 weeks ago '06        #6
new2hiphop 3 heat pts
space
space
space
$9,810 | Props total: 36037 36037
Pull up in a white neighborhood soon as I step out the car “ unusual activity sighted” whole neighborhood ring lights up n ppl start looking thru window. Smh

Meanwhile white guy on meth literally steals next door un touched.
+13   

2 weeks ago '10        #7
JWebb 
space
space
space
$170 | Props total: 550 550
I put one in to try and catch whoever is letting their dog sh*t in my front yard. The ring neighborhood feature is wild. They legit super racist. I’ll watch the videos people post talking about drug dealers or suspicious activity. It’s always a couple black dudes just walking by. Few times people post videos of packages being stolen. I get they going for the neighborhood watch type thing, but it seems like extra sensitive people posting every time a random black person slightly pauses when walking by.
+19   

2 weeks ago '15        #8
gaapplewood 
space
space
$3,270 | Props total: 4222 4222
 JWebb said
I put one in to try and catch whoever is letting their dog sh*t in my front yard. The ring neighborhood feature is wild. They legit super racist. I’ll watch the videos people post talking about drug dealers or suspicious activity. It’s always a couple black dudes just walking by. Few times people post videos of packages being stolen. I get they going for the neighborhood watch type thing, but it seems like extra sensitive people posting every time a random black person slightly pauses when walking by.
Be vigilant and do the same whenever you notice a domestic terror threat unfolding

+4   

2 weeks ago '04        #9
DJ Maximum|M 64 heat pts64
space
space
$46,739 | Props total: 25592 25592
 JWebb said
That's sad man
+1   

2 weeks ago '04        #10
DJ Maximum|M 64 heat pts64
space
space
$46,739 | Props total: 25592 25592
 new2hiphop said
Pull up in a white neighborhood soon as I step out the car “ unusual activity sighted” whole neighborhood ring lights up n ppl start looking thru window. Smh

Meanwhile white guy on meth literally steals next door un touched.
+2   

Top 10 most slapped recently  2 weeks ago '04        #11
dc3003 133 heat pts133
space
space
$49,768 | Props total: 53499 53499
Who cares this isnt any worse then democratic news lying on our countries president every day to manipulate u to vote for dems.

2 weeks ago '07        #12
Jae_Mike 28 heat pts28
space
space
$4,686 | Props total: 1575 1575
 JWebb said
Facts every black person is a thief and trying to break in

2 weeks ago '04        #13
Fameus 7 heat pts
space
space
$9,117 | Props total: 6639 6639
 JWebb said
Sounds like potential dangerous mob mentality brewing

2 weeks ago '06        #14
miltownhpt 
space
space
$116 | Props total: 74 74
 JWebb said
100. This and the Nextdoor app. The whole Back the Badge crew taking down every n*ggas license plate number, make, model. Some still using "colored male" in their description.

Although in my neighborhood, we do have a huge problem with young n*ggas trying to go through everyones whips left in driveways. Seen a few vids of them checking my cars the following morning. Smh.

Ring and Arlo is cool in all, just hate the connection delay. You miss the key shot sometimes and catch the tail end. Arlo is worse with this.
+3   

2 weeks ago '05        #15
pnoi89 18 heat pts18
space
space
$13,638 | Props total: 9931 9931
 JWebb said
Reminds me of Nextdoor.

I live in a suburb out in Denver and these stay at home moms always get me cracking up, talmbout Scooter Gangs with some neighborhood kids, some “suspicious” teens parked in the neighborhood likely just toking up, etc.

2 weeks ago '05        #16
pnoi89 18 heat pts18
space
space
 miltownhpt said
100. This and the Nextdoor app. The whole Back the Badge crew taking down every n*ggas license plate number, make, model. Some still using "colored male" in their description.

Although in my neighborhood, we do have a huge problem with young n*ggas trying to go through everyones whips left in driveways. Seen a few vids of them checking my cars the following morning. Smh.

Ring and Arlo is cool in all, just hate the connection delay. You miss the key shot sometimes and catch the tail end. Arlo is worse with this.
There’s a gentrified area in Denver called Stapleton where this is a MAJOR problem for all the transplants that have NO idea of the bad reputation of the area... Leave your garage open for 15 minutes while you’re inside and sh*t will be swiped by the time you return. Same with that exact problem you stating with thieves checking unlocked cars late at night or in the very early morning.

With how cheap IP cams are these days ($20 a pop sometimes), I highly recommend them, even if you’re in a relatively safe neighborhood.
+1   

2 weeks ago '16        #17
Itsjustmefools 2 heat pts
space
space
space
$3,499 | Props total: 2933 2933
 DJ Maximum said
That's sad man
 JWebb said
Idk man my area they put these white trash on the spot quick!!! Actually any white person unknown lol because they the ones usually doing the break ins and stealing packages in my area

But yea black persons brings everyone out on the app lol

2 weeks ago '16        #18
Itsjustmefools 2 heat pts
space
space
space
$3,499 | Props total: 2933 2933
 pnoi89 said
There’s a gentrified area in Denver called Stapleton where this is a MAJOR problem for all the transplants that have NO idea of the bad reputation of the area... Leave your garage open for 15 minutes while you’re inside and sh*t will be swiped by the time you return. Same with that exact problem you stating with thieves checking unlocked cars late at night or in the very early morning.

With how cheap IP cams are these days ($20 a pop sometimes), I highly recommend them, even if you’re in a relatively safe neighborhood.
Same here! It’s those developers and real estate agents lying to them lol

2 weeks ago '04        #19
Duntaz 70 heat pts70
space
space
$17,513 | Props total: 14410 14410
America sells fear and gives it away

2 weeks ago '18        #20
PAPLE 
space
space
$2,102 | Props total: 10965 10965
there is not a thread on boxden that does not go straight to mentioning race...

Sad.

2 weeks ago '19        #21
sportsbettor 
space
space
space
$57 | Props total: 117 117
idk maybe they not posting the white videos but in my ring area in Vegas, the black guys are the ones tryna get in the patio door and walking through the homes..sh*t is wild, this one had 3 guys in the house dude was going thru the silverware drawer smh

2 weeks ago '18        #22
shooter 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,302 | Props total: 4548 4548
At some point these ngas gonna go full retard and finance some B&E's to push sales in safe neighborhoods where people don't use these things.

What is Nas gonna do? Nas has nothing to do with this. He cashed out when they got sold to Amazon and probably made 30x on his investment.

2 weeks ago '04        #23
bw5011 5 heat pts
space
space
$3,422 | Props total: 1328 1328
 JWebb said
I use ring and I call out people making noise about PoC just because they wLked by. Or it will be somebody with a com2shirt on trying to sell something that rings the doorbell and some idiot posts that there is a strange person, etc, etc. At least it will let us know who is who, and if you call them out on it it will stop. I like ring though and will keep using it
+2   

2 weeks ago '06        #24
miltownhpt 
space
space
$116 | Props total: 74 74
 pnoi89 said

my cousin lives out in aurora. but denver overall does look very safe from a visitors eye. i know at one point in time there was some crips around but it's seems to be one of them cities where no one is actually born and raised there. i have the wired ring floodlight cam which is the best camera i got. got an arlo pro and some other arlos, they are kinda trash honestly.
+1   

2 weeks ago '05        #25
pnoi89 18 heat pts18
space
space
 miltownhpt said
my cousin lives out in aurora. but denver overall does look very safe from a visitors eye. i know at one point in time there was some crips around but it's seems to be one of them cities where no one is actually born and raised there. i have the wired ring floodlight cam which is the best camera i got. got an arlo pro and some other arlos, they are kinda trash honestly.
Yeah, Denver's becoming a city filled with transplants now with the boom over the past decade.

Aurora's a HUGE city, filled with the wealthy, the average and the poor. Within the areas there's some sketchy areas, such as between the gentrified / new build area aka Green Valley Ranch near the airport and the Aurora Mall area (near the theater that got shot up back in 2012).

And as for the Arlo, when it comes to security cams, you honestly get what you pay for; however, any cams is better than none.

Home      

most viewed right now
+110online now  29
Image(s) inside 🇨🇮 shawty
39 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+36online now  24
Video inside How Do Ya'll Feel About Lil' Flip?
140 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+17online now  24
Video inside Norwegian Woman Runs And Jumps Majestically Like A Horse
97 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
-92online now  14
How much do y'all tip?