Apr 14 - Morehouse College will admit transgender men

most viewed right now
+42  104
62 comments @sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

2 weeks ago '16        #1
1579 page views
112 comments

00010111 114 heat pts114
space
space
$4,349 | Props total: 16211 16211
Apr 14 - Morehouse College will admit transgender men

The only all-male historically black college in the US will begin admitting transgender men next year, a major shift at a time when higher education institutions around the nation are adopting more welcoming policies toward LGBT students.

Morehouse, in Atlanta, counts among its alumni the Rev Martin Luther King Jr, filmmaker Spike Lee and former Atlanta mayor Maynard Jackson. It bills itself as the “college of choice for black men” that has instilled leadership skills in generations of African American men.

Leaders said its board of trustees approved the policy on Saturday.

Transgender men will be allowed to enroll in 2020. Students who identify as women but were born male cannot enroll, however, and anyone who transitions from male to female will not be automatically eligible to receive a degree.

Morehouse officials hailed the move as an important step toward a more inclusive campus, while affirming their mission to educate and develop men.

“I think Morehouse having the courage to speak to issues of masculinity in today’s environment is important,” said college president David Thomas. “For 152 years, the world has, in some way, seen Morehouse as the West Point of black male development.”

More than 1,000 colleges and universities around the country have adopted some form of transgender policy, including about two dozen historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs). An increasing number of schools are updating admissions guidelines to ensure that transgender students have a welcoming experience, said Human Rights Commission spokeswoman Sarah McBride.

“Young people are incredibly supportive of LGBT equality, including transgender,” McBride said. “Schools are responding in kind. In many ways, our college campuses look like the country we’ll have in 10 or 15 years. There are a lot of reasons for hope.”

Morehouse becomes the first standalone all-male college in the US to adopt a transgender policy. There are only two other all-male colleges: Wabash College in Indiana and Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia. Minnesota’s St John’s University, which enrolls only men but shares a co-ed academic program with the College of St Benedict, also has a transgender policy.

Thomas acknowledged that HBCUs mainly established after the civil war with the help of religious institutions like the Baptist and Methodist churches face added challenges in addressing issues of gender and s*xuality because of opposition in black churches.

“I can’t speak for all HBCUs, but we know in the black church there has largely been silence on this issue,” Thomas said. “I can imagine there may be people who would say, ‘Why would you even raise this?’ I say to those people we live in an era now where silence on these issues is actually not helpful.

“For us, as a school for men, it’s important for us to set clear expectations about what that means. That’s what we’re trying to do with this policy.”

In 2009, Morehouse updated its dress code, in part to address a handful of students who were wearing women’s clothing on campus. The following year, it held its first Gay Pride events. Morehouse offered its first LGBT course in 2013 and has a scholars program named for the civil and gay rights icon Bayard Rustin.

Spelman College, an all-woman HBCU next door to Morehouse, adopted a transgender policy in 2017, and the first transgender woman graduated in 2018. Other HBCUs with transgender policies include Tuskegee University, Howard University, Florida A&M University, Southern University in Louisiana, North Carolina Central University and Morgan State University in Maryland.

visit this link https://www.theguardian.c .. ted-first-time

112 comments for "Apr 14 - Morehouse College will admit transgender men"

2 weeks ago '11        #2
Sin 1988 heat pts1988
space
space
$29,659 | Props total: 88253 88253
Atlanta really sounds like a cesspool
+17   

2 weeks ago '17        #3
QdobaCasanova 12 heat pts12
space
space
$9,662 | Props total: 27128 27128
Kinda sad that they werent before.0

2 weeks ago '11        #4
BaseWhitaker 
space
space
$5,133 | Props total: 8857 8857
I do not see a problem with this so long as in Admissions a caveat is not created where students get preferential treatment just because they are transitioning...It’ll squeeze out even competitors who are just normal kids.

I also understand the connotation of my usage of “normal”, I also know I haven’t misused that.

2 weeks ago '17        #5
FreeSmoke 65 heat pts65
space
space
$3,806 | Props total: 11962 11962
This all OP care about

You wake up with this on your mind for somebody who claims he don't like em

2 weeks ago '19        #6
Perfectibilist 
space
space
space
$109 | Props total: 459 459
If you're a black man who doesn't see a problem with this, then I don't know what to tell you except you're part of the problem.
+37   

2 weeks ago '15        #7
Villain 51 heat pts51
space
space
$12,426 | Props total: 16478 16478
+3   

2 weeks ago '16        #8
MadMarlo 
space
space
space
$1,712 | Props total: 4502 4502
I'm confused...

But I'm sure any straight black man would be..

[pic - click to view]

+13   

2 weeks ago '05        #9
th4lb 6 heat pts
space
space
$4,660 | Props total: 7070 7070
Not like they have a choice in the matter....can you imagine the backlash if they said otherwise?
+3   

2 weeks ago '17        #10
Coffee 46 heat pts46
space
space
space
$4,501 | Props total: 12844 12844
It's a fu*king shame.

Morehouse out here destroying it's legacy just to chase gay support.

When black people allow themselves to follow the most heinous parts of their oppressor's lunacy, they're done.

Having been around a few 'transgenders' recently, it's clear these people are delusional. They need other types of help. Not enablers.

+20   

2 weeks ago '18        #11
Kid Astronaut 9 heat pts
space
space
$470 | Props total: 2032 2032
We have to leave these heathen and their customs separate from ours.

This is shameful and a clear publicity stunt to grow LGBT support. disgusting and they will burn like the rest of them
+5   

2 weeks ago '18        #12
Honestabe 
space
space
space
$106 | Props total: 292 292

[pic - click to view]

+4   

2 weeks ago '17        #13
1Oh 8 heat pts
space
space
$3,531 | Props total: 18113 18113
I'm for LGBT rights, but at the same time I think we should preserve college institutions for straight black men in America. We need & deserve our own academic space if we choose to be there; where black men, who were born black men & want to continue being black men, are teaching eachother to be better black men.

And black LGBT deserve there own collegiate space as well, where they can teach & raise their own; let's build a space for them instead of reinventing spaces that are already well established for others and are still needed for others. We dont have to integrate everything to show that we're progressive as a community, cuz if that's the case then we might as well turn Morehouse into a regular a*s college.

This is why so many of our black businesses/institutions disappeared after integration, cuz we always acting extra like we got something prove to the world, when other non-black communities are doing NONE of this sht. We low-key trying to prove our humanity still.

+11   

2 weeks ago '11        #14
Sin 1988 heat pts1988
space
space
$29,659 | Props total: 88253 88253
 th4lb said
Not like they have a choice in the matter....can you imagine the backlash if they said otherwise?
I really don’t think it would be a problem

2 weeks ago '17        #15
Lazy 4 heat pts
space
space
space
$2,340 | Props total: 8097 8097
This is interesting because they've always admitted trans students

It's not like most people can spot f to m trans people anyways

It's not like colleges ask for your birth certificate or DNA either

They should have kept doing what they were doing without an official policy announcement
+1   

2 weeks ago '17        #16
1Oh 8 heat pts
space
space
$3,531 | Props total: 18113 18113
 Lazy said
This is interesting because they've always admitted trans students

It's not like most people can spot f to m trans people anyways

It's not like colleges ask for your birth certificate or DNA either

They should have kept doing what they were doing without an official policy announcement
This too. I'm sure Morehouse already got plenty downlow gay dudes and possibly a few females that transitioned to look like alot like men at the college. But when you got effeminate gay dudes on campus in skirts & heels n sh*t, and then lesbians on campus that obviously look female but they want you to identify them as men, then I'm like

Just be a regular a*s college at that point.
+3   

2 weeks ago '18        #17
Binary 113 heat pts113
space
space
$3,757 | Props total: 6952 6952
 Coffee said

Having been around a few 'transgenders' recently, it's clear these people are delusional. They need other types of help. Not enablers.

This right here!

But then you got fools like @ and @ trying to normalize transgenders like it’s the new wave

2 weeks ago '06        #18
Skateboard T 52 heat pts52
space
space
$25,412 | Props total: 39836 39836
 Binary said
This right here!

But then you got fools like @ and @ trying to normalize transgenders like it’s the new wave
rent free

2 weeks ago '19        #19
Perfectibilist 
space
space
space
$109 | Props total: 459 459
It's crazy how black folks don't see that they're being replaced by not only the Hispanics but also the LGBT. Now that the social engineers don't need you anymore, what do you think is going to happen from here on out for black leftists?
+8   

2 weeks ago '08        #20
SlickJ101 26 heat pts26
space
space
$14,977 | Props total: 8989 8989
 1Oh said
I'm for LGBT rights, but at the same time I think we should preserve college institutions for straight black men in America. We need & deserve our own academic space if we choose to be there; where black men, who were born black men & want to continue being black men, are teaching eachother to be better black men.

And black LGBT deserve there own collegiate space as well, where they can teach & raise their own; let's build a space for them instead of reinventing spaces that are already well established for others and are still needed for others. We dont have to integrate everything to show that we're progressive as a community, cuz if that's the case then we might as well turn Morehouse into a regular a*s college.

This is why so many of our black businesses/institutions disappeared after integration, cuz we always acting extra like we got something prove to the world, when other non-black communities are doing NONE of this sht. We low-key trying to prove our humanity still.

Sounds like segregation. That went really before

2 weeks ago '17        #21
QdobaCasanova 12 heat pts12
space
space
$9,662 | Props total: 27128 27128
 1Oh said

So youre promoting segregation based on who youre fu*king on your off time

You’re not for LBTGQIA rights if you think that.

2 weeks ago '14        #22
Blazeyy 2 heat pts
space
space
$5,153 | Props total: 14730 14730
If you’re insecure you give af about dumb sh*t like this, when you’re secure you just want other people to find the happiness you have

And if you truly believed trans are mentally ill like some of you claim you’d treat them even kinder than normal people, unless you’re the type to trip mentally retarded kids too; you’d take pity on them not animosity

So basically most of y’all are insecure frauds who prob live in the boonies and are reaching neanderthal status in 2019 because of how technology and population density are speeding up the rate of evolution

2 weeks ago '17        #23
Ymmot 13 heat pts13
space
space
space
$11,149 | Props total: 26417 26417
 Binary said
This right here!

I'm not trying to normalize anything, I'm just teaching stupid people like you to accept people. Racist people felt the same way you do when they started integrating and letting black people vote and go to "white schools." Sucks your dumbass learned to think just like them.

2 weeks ago '18        #24
Binary 113 heat pts113
space
space
$3,757 | Props total: 6952 6952
 Ymmot said
I'm not trying to normalize anything, I'm just teaching stupid people like you to accept people. Racist people felt the same way you do when they started integrating and letting black people vote and go to "white schools." Sucks your dumbass learned to think just like them.
Don’t ever compare what blacks went through versus these mentally ill trannies you cap for
+9   

2 weeks ago '17        #25
Ymmot 13 heat pts13
space
space
space
$11,149 | Props total: 26417 26417
 Binary said
Don’t ever compare what blacks went through versus these mentally ill trannies you cap for
I'm not comparing what blacks went through you dumb motherfu*ker. I'm comparing how racist whites re-acted to black people gaining more freedom to how you and your fellow trailer park trash are re-acting to people accepting gay people and trans people. Goddamn you're dumb. Why do I always have to explain this simple sh*t to you?

Home      

most viewed right now
+26online now  28
Video inside Can we all agree Nip was setup?
172 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+61online now  24
I just gotta smash raw, fam....
29 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+137online now  20
Image(s) inside They'd Call Me A Sellout C**n If I Brought Her Home