Mar 15 - 7 in 10 Americans are avoiding difficult conversations at work

most viewed right now
+36  94
31 comments @wild'ish

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

1 week ago '04        #1
1052 page views
45 comments

Exs 370 heat pts370
space
space
$11,794 | Props total: 25543 25543
Mar 15 - 7 in 10 Americans are avoiding difficult conversations at work

Have you ever found yourself avoiding a difficult conversation at work?

If so, you’re not alone. As many as seven in 10 U.S. employees would rather keep quiet on an important work issue than tackle it head on, according to a new study from professional coaching platform Bravely.

Fears about retribution or rejection are preventing many employees from speaking up at work, according to the report, which was shared exclusively with CNBC Make It.

That so-called “conversation gap” is leading to decreased engagement, lost productivity and higher staff turnover as employees are consumed by their issue, and ultimately opt to quit instead of speaking up.

Managers are dodging conversations, too

The study, which surveyed more than 500 full-time employees in the U.S. across various job levels and company sizes, found that the issue was present across generations and levels of seniority, with managers just as likely to admit to avoiding difficult conversations as their more junior reports.

Minority groups, specifically the LGBTQ+ community, were more likely to struggle, however, with 80 percent of that group reporting difficulties. That reflects separate research from the Human Rights Campaign, which found that 70 percent of people who identify as LGBTQ+ say they’re afraid to bring their full selves to work.

At small companies, relationships can be generally more intensive.

Toby Hervey
CEO OF BRAVELY

The issue was most pronounced at the smallest and largest employers, the report found. 77 percent of people working in start-ups and 78 percent of those at companies with more than 10,000 employees said they were avoiding tough conversations, compared with around 60 percent of people at medium-sized companies.

Toby Hervey, CEO of Bravely, said that could be the result of a lack of access to HR or, particularly at smaller firms, a suitable representative.

A problem for start-ups and big business

“At small companies, relationships can be generally more intensive (you spend a lot of time with a small number of colleagues!) and that can make it harder to create the space and time for difficult conversations and sharing tough feedback,” Hervey told CNBC Make It in an email, noting that smaller firms typically have limited — or non-existent — HR departments.

“We’ve seen in some organizations that some employees may not know who their designated HR contact is,” Hervey added of larger organizations. “If they do, many HR representatives are supporting hundreds, if not thousands, of employees, and can have minimal bandwidth.”

Going to HR feels like a step that can’t be taken back.
Toby Hervey
CEO OF BRAVELY

That said, the report also pointed to a reluctance among employees to call on their HR departments in times of difficulty. Just 19 percent of respondents said they would go to their HR department with an issue.

“Going to HR feels like a step that can’t be taken back,” noted Hervey. “People perceive that there is a lot of preparation and confidence needed (and) that can be intimidating and enough to make people think that it would be easier to avoid the conversation altogether,” he said, adding that past bad experiences can also make people more reluctant to call on HR in future.

New work trends are fueling the problem
Bravely’s research follows a 2009 study into the avoidance of “scary” workplace conversations. Despite the 10-year gap and billions of dollars businesses have invested in people development over that time, the reports recorded the same 70 percent gap.

“The study revealed that the same challenges have persisted over the last decade, and even nods to new compounding factors that have complicated the conversation gap over time,” said Hervey.

Those compounding factors include the rise of remote working, which has created geographic impediments, and the advent of job rating sites, which have made it easier for employees to complain anonymously. People who admitted to staying silent were eight times more likely to post a negative review on a site like Glassdoor, according to Bravely’s study.

A strong U.S. jobs market has also made it easier for employees to “jump ship” instead of facing issues at their current workplace.

visit this link https://www.cnbc.com/2019 .. s-at-work.html
+3   

45 comments for "Mar 15 - 7 in 10 Americans are avoiding difficult conversations at work"

1 week ago '17        #2
Ymmot 13 heat pts13
space
space
space
$10,612 | Props total: 25294 25294
Interesting article. I've never understood people who stay quiet on important issues. I've worked in several industries and I've always moved up and got raises and watched other people stay quiet and move up slower than me or not move up at all. So many people are afraid of their bosses...
+14   

1 week ago '05        #3
blah blah blah 97 heat pts97
space
space
$30,402 | Props total: 42678 42678
Need some examples on what kinds of things people aren’t speaking up on

I’m there to work not have gay discussions with people
+2   

1 week ago '17        #4
lucifershammer 17 heat pts17
space
space
$4,895 | Props total: 24088 24088
DON'T DISCUSS POLITICS AT WORk

It's a no win

Especially if you're black
+20   

1 week ago '04        #5
Exs 370 heat pts370 OP
space
space
 blah blah blah said
Need some examples on what kinds of things people aren’t speaking up on

I’m there to work not have gay discussions with people
spoken like a true slave to the system.

your parents taught you well!

1 week ago '05        #6
space
space
 Exs said
spoken like a true slave to the system.

your parents taught you well!
You sound like a f*g who wants to be friends with everyone and tell your life story to them. No thanks
+8   

1 week ago '04        #7
Exs 370 heat pts370 OP
space
space
 blah blah blah said
You sound like a f*g who wants to be friends with everyone and tell your life story to them. No thanks
I am who I am. You mad you don't have a story to tell?

1 week ago '04        #8
erickonasis 22 heat pts22
space
space
$31,502 | Props total: 31057 31057
Ain’t gonna lie this is true. When I start hearing the talk at my job I tune it’s out as I’m one of the 2 black people in my department.
+12   

1 week ago '04        #9
space
space
 Ymmot said
Interesting article. I've never understood people who stay quiet on important issues. I've worked in several industries and I've always moved up and got raises and watched other people stay quiet and move up slower than me or not move up at all. So many people are afraid of their bosses...
It’s not even that. Money wise or fairness sure speak up. For me it’s about not ending up saying some sh*t I’ll end up getting canned for or even worse catching a case. I work in IT so I just throw some music on when the trump convos come about. They know how I feel though so it’s a 2 way street to some degree
+7   

1 week ago '05        #10
space
space
 Exs said
I am who I am. You mad you don't have a story to tell?
I have 30k posts on a message board. I have plenty to talk about

1 week ago '15        #11
PineappleOG 39 heat pts39
space
space
$9,026 | Props total: 18440 18440
 blah blah blah said
I have 30k posts on a message board. I have plenty to talk about
Tell him, and that's just on this one alias
+7   

1 week ago '18        #12
Sandyy 5 heat pts
space
space
$2,699 | Props total: 8575 8575
Shid i dont talk about race, gender, s*x or anything like that at work. Someone try to start a convo like that i leave the room.

Not getting me reported to HR. Nty.
+10   

1 week ago '06        #13
datVAkid 44 heat pts44
space
space
$17,664 | Props total: 11965 11965
n*ggaz are insecured and scared of conflict.

I be getting in peoples a*ses at work
+1   

1 week ago '05        #14
klew 229 heat pts229
space
space
$10,109 | Props total: 3170 3170
Shiiit I wish my work environment was quiet I work with mostly females and the drama never stops

[pic - click to view]

+1   

1 week ago '18        #15
Boxedin101 12 heat pts12
space
space
space
$1,519 | Props total: 4629 4629
That's with anybody you have to know but wouldn't if you didn't have to.

I've had girlfriends that even acted like that
+1   

1 week ago '04        #16
Kliq 313 heat pts313
space
space
$10,782 | Props total: 40876 40876
I’m way too opinated to have these kind of discussions at work. Even when convos do come up it’s typically followed by sugar coated responses

I remember being the only one in my department who thought the Gillette “man can do better” commercial was whack, then I realized I worked with a bunch of priveleged social justice warriors ... awkward

So yea, typically I don’t say sh*t cus I’m trying to collect that $$$ and get out

Of course there’s always gonna he people at work you get close with that you can fu*k around with and talk about real sh*t with

But most of the corporate work force is old people, different generation, not worth mingling with them too much
+1   

1 week ago '18        #17
Boxedin101 12 heat pts12
space
space
space
$1,519 | Props total: 4629 4629
 klew said
Shiiit I wish my work environment was quiet I work with mostly females and the drama never stops

[pic - click to view]

That's because none of them live their own life
They all live vicariously through reality television
Every episode is drama so they think that's the norm

It was worse when Keisha Cole was out
+1   

1 week ago '17        #18
Naga Sadow 31 heat pts31
space
space
$11,141 | Props total: 46187 46187
 Ymmot said
Not saying you have to pump your chest and a*sert your authority but you have to speak with conviction. If you speak softly and shy away then that means you're not sure of yourself and your work. If you feel you're worth something then you have to show people that and be firm about it.
+3   

1 week ago '17        #19
lucifershammer 17 heat pts17
space
space
$4,895 | Props total: 24088 24088
 datVAkid said
n*ggaz are insecured and scared of conflict.

I be getting in peoples a*ses at work

[pic - click to view]

+4   

1 week ago '04        #20
JugernoT 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,428 | Props total: 2504 2504
I've always been opinionated at the job I've worked for the past 6 years and it got me huge raises, insane job security and a management position. I would encourage everyone to speak up about things. Just be smart about how you convey your thoughts.

1 week ago '04        #21
space
space

[tweet - click to view]

+6   

1 week ago '06        #22
datVAkid 44 heat pts44
space
space
 blah blah blah said
You sound like someone who picks f*ghts and trys to sound tough behind a computer screen. But when it's time to meet up you go MIA.
+1   

1 week ago '05        #23
space
space
 datVAkid said
You sound like someone who picks f*ghts and trys to sound tough behind a computer screen. But when it's time to meet up you go MIA.
Until you show up you’re pu**y

I’m 5 mins away from your spot

Pull up or stfu
+1   

1 week ago '06        #24
datVAkid 44 heat pts44
space
space
 blah blah blah said
Until you show up you’re pu**y

I’m 5 mins away from your spot

Pull up or stfu
Date and Time...

And i keep track of everytime i ask for a date and time and you go MIA. So i got plenty of records and receipts... Stfu

1 week ago '05        #25
space
space
 datVAkid said
Date and Time...

And i keep track of everytime i ask for a date and time and you go MIA. So i got plenty of records and receipts... Stfu
Like I thought

Home      

most viewed right now
+47online now  48
Busting big nuts on this Big Butt
56 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+35online now  38
Image(s) inside Mar 24 - Man spikes coworkers’ drinks with LSD to change their ‘negati..
121 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
+29online now  31
I let it soak in but "Us" wasn't it.
170 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
online now  22
Paper work of Casanova 2x snitching surfaces