Rotten Tomatoes May Make Users Prove They've Seen Movies Before Reviewing

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

5 days ago '18        #1
779 page views
19 comments

Phenomenal One 81 heat pts81
space
space
$155 | Props total: 1313 1313
Rotten Tomatoes May Make Users Prove They've Seen Movies Before Reviewing

Film review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes has recently been altering its outreach, layout, and, offerings in the wake of several scandals where online mobs have overwhelmed the site with misinformation.

There have been alt-right bots sent to tank The Last Jedi’s audience score and perturbed men leaving bad reviews of Captain Marvel before the film even came out in wide release — they’ve even been hitting Star Wars: Episode IX and that movie doesn’t have a real title yet. Ghostbusters, Black Panther — seemingly any genre film that attracts negative, politically-driven attention has been the victim of this weird defamation.

In an effort to make necessary changes, the site recently removed the “Want to See” score, which is where much of this “review bombing” has taken place. They've also disabled the comment section until the film’s premiere. But now Rotten Tomatoes is moving to more concrete measures, aimed at preserving its reputation as a review aggregator and not just an echo chamber amplifier.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the site is considering making non-critic users verify that they’ve actually seen the film before posting an audience review. Basically the bare minimum for leaving a review, no?

This is one of many measures being considered for implementation, with no mock-ups yet of what this might involve (A plot quiz? A ticket barcode?), but its very consideration proves the site’s recognition of the problem. The catalyst for the change, Captain Marvel, hasn’t seemingly seen any financial impact from the attempted fraud, but it’s certainly a hassle for a company that would like to remain a go-to for those seeking real opinions from people who have really seen the movie.

"We are disappointed that there was a group of people who were obviously very passionate and who had a negative opinion of the movie, whether they saw it or not," said Dana Benson, Communications VP for Fandango, which owns Rotten Tomatoes.

A site that collects reviews lives and dies by their credibility. Huge and disingenuous differences between audience and critic scores not only undermine the purpose of Rotten Tomatoes, but make the site seem less effective. Presumably those that designed the review process for the site never thought people would flood it with thousands of fake reviews, but now that the threat has been thoroughly documented, updates are in order — with the verification process likely being just the first to come.

visit this link Source
+6   

19 comments for "Rotten Tomatoes May Make Users Prove They've Seen Movies Before Reviewing"

5 days ago '04        #2
Menace718 2 heat pts
space
space
$6,084 | Props total: 1851 1851
sh*t is stupid, I’ve never went to one of these sites for a movie review. Why can’t people just see a trailer and decide if it interests them? Honestly I’ve never really wasted my time with too many movies because I wanted to see what I wanted to see
+11   

4 days ago '09        #3
ShadyVsEminem 252 heat pts252
space
space
$23,100 | Props total: 9314 9314
It took an alt right mob to tank the last jedis score? I would be more concerned with the threats real reviewers recieve for not giving perfect scores to certain games

4 days ago '19        #4
Supreme Doom 
space
space
$358 | Props total: 388 388
Now they want to Censor these movies reviews. What if u watched the movie from "conspicuous" ways but have interest in sharing. Or if u see it and know more than a casual fan and will be honest? They want no oppostion at all. Im all for and advocated for Comic book movies period. The good n bad of it too. . . but this is creep mode cencorship. No point or need for it, its already about fictional characters. People gonna troll regardless.

To be fair..Movie studios use "bias" bloggers themselves. So many early reviews sound the same.

They already making small fortunes with each of these movies. No its, no critique at all too

4 days ago '15        #5
KING SOULJA 40 heat pts40
space
space
$11,284 | Props total: 16152 16152
Fuk rotten tomaters.

I hate People who be like oh so and so got 100% like it fuking means something and these ignorant PUKES!!!!! let that stupid fuking sire finesse them out of going to see a movie they wanted to see just because some fuking stranger didn’t like it. Critics always been around but now it seems like people put way too much into reviews before they see something. These pukes.

4 days ago '17        #6
Ifeellikekobe 109 heat pts109
space
space
$7,655 | Props total: 33571 33571
Hmmmm now if they make Oscars voters do the same they may be on to something.
+8   

4 days ago '05        #7
Muggz 11 heat pts11
space
space
$6,641 | Props total: 7287 7287
All cause of Disney in their pockets....what a fu*kin joke
+2   

4 days ago '05        #8
Muggz 11 heat pts11
space
space
 Ifeellikekobe said
Hmmmm now if they make Oscars voters do the same they may be on to something.

Realest sh*t I read on here all day!

Last edited by Muggz; 03-15-2019 at 11:58 PM..
+3   

3 days ago '05        #9
Muggz 11 heat pts11
space
space
 KING SOULJA said
Fuk rotten tomaters.

I hate People who be like oh so and so got 100% like it fuking means something and these ignorant PUKES!!!!! let that stupid fuking sire finesse them out of going to see a movie they wanted to see just because some fuking stranger didn’t like it. Critics always been around but now it seems like people put way too much into reviews before they see something. These pukes.
YOU PUUUUUKES!!!!!
+1   

3 days ago '04        #10
UF4Soldier 136 heat pts136
space
space
$21,079 | Props total: 13547 13547
They really trynna call this a mob hit when This woman dissed the main fan base of comics which is white males. Haha

And what about the fake positive reviews Disney flooded the site with?

Last edited by UF4Soldier; 03-16-2019 at 02:13 AM..

3 days ago '08        #11
stlcardinals19 33 heat pts33
space
space
$19,915 | Props total: 7473 7473
Opinions on movies aren't valid until you've actually seen it at least. I've no issue w/this and I'm glad sites like Amazon have begun to label reviews for products w/"Verified Purchase" above their names to give you an actual opinion. If I'm Rotten Tomatoes, I'd have 3 scores w/"Critics" and "Verified Audience" displayed as the main scores and then somewhere down on the bottom you can filter it out and find the "Unverified Audience" score

Last edited by stlcardinals19; 03-16-2019 at 05:44 AM..
+5   

3 days ago '18        #12
Doc Da Great 234 heat pts234
space
space
$3,268 | Props total: 13929 13929
Movie review site finally implements sh*t that justifies them being a movie review site.
[pic - click to view]

+6   

3 days ago '10        #13
Hovi Bryant 682 heat pts682
space
space
$31,607 | Props total: 22731 22731
Makes sense. The internet makes it too easy to talk sh*t about things and people they don't have, haven't met, or will never see.
+5   

3 days ago '14        #14
strungout 400 heat pts400
space
space
$34,618 | Props total: 83088 83088
THEY TAKING durrr FREE SPEECH !!!!!!

3 days ago '07        #15
bluehefner96 118 heat pts118
space
space
$13,554 | Props total: 16343 16343
They should. Lames is losers...

3 days ago '10        #16
marx1684 1 heat pts
space
space
$6,904 | Props total: 9734 9734
 stlcardinals19 said
Opinions on movies aren't valid until you've actually seen it at least. I've no issue w/this and I'm glad sites like Amazon have begun to label reviews for products w/"Verified Purchase" above their names to give you an actual opinion. If I'm Rotten Tomatoes, I'd have 3 scores w/"Critics" and "Verified Audience" displayed as the main scores and then somewhere down on the bottom you can filter it out and find the "Unverified Audience" score
+1   

3 days ago '16        #17
Eastcoast 
space
space
space
$1,911 | Props total: 2216 2216
The Alt-Right 4chan ruining everything.

3 days ago '16        #18
TrillPeez 12 heat pts12
space
space
$9,437 | Props total: 22542 22542
They should. You shouldn't be able to (or even want to) tank something you've never seen and never will see...that sh*t is gay. Now if you wanna tank some sh*t you gotta give them your money lol

3 days ago '14        #19
504 1077 heat pts1077
space
space
$11,614 | Props total: 49828 49828
No lie if it doesn’t have above a 75% not going to waste my time

2 days ago '09        #20
ImAMonster 448 heat pts448
space
space
$39,201 | Props total: 14929 14929
I lost faith in reviews a long time ago. I've watched movies I thought were really good only to look up reviews after and it's at like 40% .

These critics be reviewing scripts, directing, audio, puns, run time, lighting, character morale, etc.

I don't care about all that. I only care if I enjoy watching it.

Home      

most viewed right now
+90online now  66
The RATCHETS in Miami Beach was CUTTING UP for Spring Break 2019.
248 comments
21 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+135online now  51
Image(s) inside Come Get Your Auntie Before I Fvck Her, Bruh
83 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+19online now  33
Image(s) inside Shorty from tory lanez video