Mar 14 - 1 in 4 marijuana users get high at work in states with legal weed, survey says

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

1 week ago '16        #1
1614 page views
99 comments

Aztlan 110 heat pts110
space
space
$12,403 | Props total: 32782 32782
Mar 14 - 1 in 4 marijuana users get high at work in states with legal weed, survey says

It’s probably not a good idea — and it can’t be great for productivity — but that’s not stopping a lot of Washingtonians from doing it.

I’m talking about getting high at work.

One in four marijuana users who are employed admit to doing this within the past year, according to a new survey of cannabis consumers in Washington, Oregon and Colorado, three states where recreational weed is legal.

One in four also said they’ve gotten high before work — I’m guessing it’s the same one in four, but the survey doesn’t specify.

The marketing communications firm Quinn Thomas, which has offices in Seattle and Portland, funded the survey, which was conducted by polling-and-opinion outfit DHM Research. A representative sample of 900 cannabis consumers were interviewed — 300 in each of the three states — from Jan. 8 to 14. The survey has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.3 percent.

“There is a lot of information out there about the cannabis industry and its regulatory structure, but not much is known about consumers,” said Zach Knowling, vice president at Quinn Thomas, in an email. “We felt our experience researching and reaching unique audiences could build greater understanding of who they are.”

Washington and Colorado both legalized recreational use of marijuana through voter initiatives in 2012, becoming the first states to do so. Oregon followed in 2014.

The survey shows that after legalization, many cannabis consumers increased their usage. In Washington 44 percent of respondents said they are now regular consumers of pot (daily or a few times per week), compared with 36 percent who said they consumed that much prelegalization.

With legalization, it seems that marijuana has entered into the mainstream. Indeed, the survey data show that recreational-cannabis consumers look pretty much like the average American. They are a close match to the U.S. average for household income and educational attainment. In the three states that were surveyed, pot users match the general population breakdowns in terms of race and ethnicity, age, political-party affiliation and other demographic factors.

There is one significant exception: Gender. Cannabis consumers skew male by about 60 percent, according to the survey.

Even though marijuana is legal and widely popular in the three states surveyed, the great majority of users (79 percent) still feel there is some lingering social stigma attached to it. Only about half say they are completely transparent with family and friends about their use of the drug.

Even if folks feel some social stigma still exists, a lot of marijuana users aren’t exactly secretive about it — at least that’s true in Seattle, where the passing smell of pot smoke has become one of the defining characteristics of city sidewalks. While the great majority of those surveyed said that home is the primary place they consume cannabis, more than one in six said they typically get stoned away from home.

Survey respondents expressed a need for accurate information regarding safety and health of cannabis use, and just about half (49 percent) said they trusted their local retailer for that. In comparison, only 38 percent said they trust their health-care provider.

“Staff at dispensaries are the most trusted source of information about cannabis, well above doctors and public health officials. That surprised us,” Knowling said. “There’s an opportunity for state officials and health care experts to increase their role, particularly because consumers told us they want more information.”

Smoking is the most popular method of cannabis consumption — a little more than half said that’s how they usually use it. Only 18 percent typically consume edibles, which ranks second, followed by vaping and topicals (oils or creams), in that order.

A large percentage of consumers surveyed reported a modest household income, so it’s not surprising that 62 percent pointed to price as one of the two most important factors when purchasing marijuana (THC potency came in second, at 45 percent). Still, consumers overwhelmingly said they want the retail experience of buying pot to be more like going to a nice wine shop than to a convenience store for a six-pack.

Speaking of alcohol, nearly a quarter of survey respondents said the reason they use cannabis is as an alternative to liquor. But the two most common reasons selected for pot use are reducing stress and anxiety, and reducing pain.

One remarkable finding of the survey is that lower-income folks spend the most on marijuana. One quarter of consumers with a household income of less than $25,000 spent more than $500 in a year. As you go higher up the income ladder, the likelihood of spending that much money on pot gets progressively lower. In light of that finding, Washington’s 37 percent sales-tax rate on marijuana seems particularly burdensome to people with lower incomes.

While the survey shows that getting stoned at work is a fairly commonplace activity, so is drug testing. Twenty-one percent of respondents said they’ve been subjected to a drug test that checked for cannabis within the past year. And just about the same number said they stopped getting high for a while in order to pass the test.

It worked for most. Nine percent indicated that they still failed the test.

visit this link Seattle Times
+6   

99 comments for "Mar 14 - 1 in 4 marijuana users get high at work in states with legal weed, survey says"

Top 10 most propped recently  1 week ago '17        #2
Ymmot 13 heat pts13
space
space
space
$10,536 | Props total: 25164 25164
Shiiit, I get high all day everyday.
+22   

1 week ago '18        #3
DUCEDUCE 5 heat pts
space
space
$2,122 | Props total: 9070 9070
I dont smoke but if you can handle it do it, my friend owns a small company his customer service agent is a major pothead but that mellowness is actually a plus.
+15   

1 week ago '10        #4
Frasier 245 heat pts245
space
space
$18,725 | Props total: 9658 9658
I'm very against this. I'm 1000% for LEGAL MARIJUANA, but I am someone that hates when people smoke at work. Its irresponsible, and makes you look stupid. Just save that sh*t for home bruh....

1 week ago '11        #5
Sin 1923 heat pts1923
space
space
$28,853 | Props total: 84159 84159
I made a thread in December about my coworker in NYC getting fired for smoking in the bathroom

He still claims it was only a cigar as if that’s okay
+7   

1 week ago '17        #6
QdobaCasanova 12 heat pts12
space
space
$9,082 | Props total: 25771 25771
Smoking 1-2 hours before work>>>>>>
+23   

1 week ago '12        #7
Theboybreblue 73 heat pts73
space
space
$5,277 | Props total: 8645 8645
 Frasier said
I'm very against this. I'm 1000% for LEGAL MARIJUANA, but I am someone that hates when people smoke at work. Its irresponsible, and makes you look stupid. Just save that sh*t for home bruh....
I don’t know where you work, but I guarantee you there’s people around you high all the time but you just can’t tell.

Also to say it’s irresponsible is irresponsible in and of itself. Why? Because you don’t know why people are smoking before and during work. I used to work at geek squad back in the day, and having to deal with disgruntled customers who may or may not already have been waiting for damn near an hour to be seen. A nice hit of the pen, or a small mini J around the corner AWAY from the job always kept me grounded, and relaxed.
+11   

1 week ago '12        #8
space
space
I’ve been smoking weed before, during, and after work for a number of years now… Not every day, but it happens. It does wonders for me. I can’t speak for everybody, but when you’re on your feet all day, and have to deal with multiple personalities literally all day long, sometimes you need a little bit of mental relaxation if you know what I mean.
+22   

1 week ago '15        #9
PineappleOG 39 heat pts39
space
space
$9,009 | Props total: 18425 18425
I get high at work and it’s still illegal here, those dab cartridges have been a godsend
+19   

1 week ago '16        #10
Boogie1790 8 heat pts
space
space
$6,583 | Props total: 16203 16203
I'm finna go to lunch n gt hi
+4   

1 week ago '12        #11
space
space
 QdobaCasanova said
Smoking 1-2 hours before work>>>>>>
The perfect ratio. the medicinal effects take over at about that time. Smooth coasting.
+4   

1 week ago '04        #12
ItAlY2BkLyN 240 heat pts240
space
space
$25,179 | Props total: 16734 16734
sh*t my office has open alcohol and weed policy. We have a keg in the office and get cases of whiskey every week from Costco. There's a group of about 5-6 of us who usually take an afternoon 420 break on the porch (boss included). As long as you are an adult about it and handle your sh*t, it's not a problem.

Not considering the fact we smoke whenever we go to lunch too.
+15   

1 week ago '04        #13
Exs 368 heat pts368
space
space
$11,750 | Props total: 25350 25350
90% of the jobs they're occupying are actual [useless jobs] so i'm cool with it

1 week ago '12        #14
acefresh 23 heat pts23
space
space
$9,664 | Props total: 33091 33091
haven't smoked bud or drank alcohol in over 3 weeks

next step is to start throwin some fu*kin weight around
+11   

1 week ago '07        #15
IFuckedUrMom 25 heat pts25
space
space
$2,211 | Props total: 4904 4904
 ItAlY2BkLyN said
sh*t my office has open alcohol and weed policy. We have a keg in the office and get cases of whiskey every week from Costco. There's a group of about 5-6 of us who usually take an afternoon 420 break on the porch (boss included). As long as you are an adult about it and handle your sh*t, it's not a problem.

This sounds absolutely ridiculous lol. Then again, mind if I ask what u do? More power to u & ur staff if y’all are functioning up to par.

I’m actually pretty jealous
+5   

1 week ago '04        #16
space
space
 Ifu*kedUrMom said
This sounds absolutely ridiculous lol. Then again, mind if I ask what u do? More power to u & ur staff if y’all are functioning up to par.

I’m actually pretty jealous
I'm a department director for a digital marketing company. Fridge usually stocked with Miller lite, white claws, Truly's and typically there's wine for the chicks too. People are very responsible and don't ever get sh*t faced. Usually it's just grabbing a whiskey on the rocks for a meeting or something. Obviously nobody's drinking in client meetings and we don't smoke before conference calls or client meetings either.
+7   

1 week ago '18        #17
Sandyy 5 heat pts
space
space
$2,687 | Props total: 8384 8384
If my job mattered i wouldnt as much but no one really pays attention in a cubicle farm.

I was 50 mins late today and no one even realized it. I took an hour break and came back in my tank top cause a bird sh*tted on me yesterday, no one realized. Was just sitting here in a wife beater 4 whole hours, nothing.

So of course i smoke, it dont matter plus it make the day go by fast af.
+7   

1 week ago '17        #18
Naga Sadow 31 heat pts31
space
space
$11,128 | Props total: 46058 46058
If it was legal in NC I'd be out back smoking right now. I hate having to deal with idiots who think they know more.

1 week ago '11        #19
R3alMonsters 
space
space
$2,529 | Props total: 2740 2740
As they should
+2   

1 week ago '04        #20
Propel Water 20 heat pts20
space
space
$20,167 | Props total: 5904 5904
 ItAlY2BkLyN said

Yall hiring???????????? Ill commute to the city everyday
+2   

1 week ago '04        #21
space
space
 Propel Water said
Yall hiring???????????? Ill commute to the city everyday
sh*t man I'll let you know. We hired 15 people last year so we're growing a ton. Lost some client billing so we're overstaffed currently but when things balance out I'll hit you up. PM me if your serious with what skills, experience you have and we'll talk.
+3   

1 week ago '12        #22
OldBusiness 176 heat pts176
space
space
$28,652 | Props total: 48108 48108
 ItAlY2BkLyN said

I said on here before that halfway through college I got a job working at a corporate office berkshire hathaway used to manage a few of its companies. They got sh*t faced all the time there too, once a month they'd even have food trucks pull up and they'd order kegs and wine.

Warren Buffet would visit twice a year and get everyone drunk, and the guy he has running Geico and a few other things, "Tony Nicely" would ALWAYS visit and smell like a barrel of jack Daniel's. They sent us on a company sponsored trip to Puerto Rico, and the executives came too. 3 of them got arrested for getting drunk and falling in the hotel fountain and then trying to f*ght. Not the employees, but executives who came and were PAYING for the trip.

I dont drink, barely have in my life, and because of that I felt like I didnt fit in there.

Also should be noted that the CEO of progressive once got busted for smoking weed on a business trip to Europe, and it came out that he had been bank rolling legalizing weed legislation on the west coast of the USA for the longest. He thought everyone should use it, google Peter Lewis.
+4   

1 week ago '16        #23
Boogie1790 8 heat pts
space
space
$6,583 | Props total: 16203 16203
 ItAlY2BkLyN said

Where you work? Y'all need a book keeper?

1 week ago '05        #24
Scorpz 7 heat pts
space
space
$7,113 | Props total: 35538 35538
 ItAlY2BkLyN said
sh*t man I'll let you know. We hired 15 people last year so we're growing a ton. Lost some client billing so we're overstaffed currently but when things balance out I'll hit you up. PM me if your serious with what skills, experience you have and we'll talk.
Lmk if yall need a graphics designer..
+3   

1 week ago '05        #25
Dun Language 4299 heat pts4299
space
space
$84,039 | Props total: 55692 55692
burning right now
+2   

Home      

most viewed right now
+66online now  55
Being ugly: my experience... Damn.
105 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+38online now  45
Video inside Simpsons Clips That Get You Every time...
57 comments
22 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+85online now  44
Image(s) inside Stare into those eyes
26 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+86online now  23
Image(s) inside School playground equipment in the year 1900