Feb 12 - Toys R Us plans revival by 2019 holiday season

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

Top 10 most slapped recently  1 week ago '15        #1
1165 page views
45 comments

redcodeinesyrup 16 heat pts16
space
space
$1,988 | Props total: 3379 3379
Feb 12 - Toys R Us plans revival by 2019 holiday season

by: Anne D'Innocenzio
Posted: Feb 11, 2019 / 08:35 PM CST / Updated: Feb 11, 2019 / 08:35 PM CST
NEW YORK (AP) ó

Toys R Us fans in the U.S. should see the iconic brand re-emerge in some form by this holiday season.

Richard Barry, a former Toys R Us executive and now CEO of the new company called Tru Kids Brands, told The a*sociated Press he and his team are still working on the details, but they're exploring various options including freestanding stores and shops within existing stores. He says that e-commerce will play a key role.

Toys R Us, buckling under competition from Amazon and several billions of dollars of debt, filed for Chapter 11 reorganization in September 2017 and then liquidated its businesses last year in the U.S. as well as several other regions including the United Kingdom.

In October, a group of investors won an auction for Toys R Us a*sets, believing they would do better by potentially reviving the toy chain, rather than selling it off for parts. Starting Jan. 20, Barry and several other former Toys R Us executives founded Tru Kids and are now managing the Toys R Us, Babies R Us and Geoffrey brands. Toys R Us generated $3 billion in global retail sales in 2018. Tru Kids estimates that 40 percent to 50 percent of Toys R Us market share is still up for grabs despite many retailers like Walmart and Target expanding their toy aisles.

"These brands are beloved by customers," said Barry. He noted that the company will focus on experiences in the physical stores, which could be about 10,000 square feet. The original Toys R Us stores were roughly about 40,000 square feet.

Barry said he and his team have been reaching out to toy makers and have received strong support. But he acknowledged that many had been burned by the Toys R Us liquidation.

Tru Kids, based in Parsippany, New Jersey, about a 20 minute drive from Wayne, New Jersey, where Toys R Us was based, will work with licensing partners to open 70 stores this year in Asia, India and Europe. Outside the U.S., Toys R Us continues to operate about 800 stores.

visit this link https://t.co/maXU41dOCm
+8   

45 comments for "Feb 12 - Toys R Us plans revival by 2019 holiday season"

1 week ago '04        #2
georgebenson 10 heat pts10
space
space
$787 | Props total: 1349 1349
fu*k THEM!

[pic - click to view]

1 week ago '04        #3
cuzjuan 11 heat pts11
space
space
$5,104 | Props total: 2966 2966
@ n*gga stfu... cause ur parents couldnt afford it, dont sh*t on what others have but u didnt!

in the end, they'll be missed

you, not so much!

1 week ago '08        #4
ExNihilo 53 heat pts53
space
space
$22,662 | Props total: 31646 31646
It's going to be a tough market to reenter.

I found it difficult this past Christmas to buy toys for nieces and nephews (hit Target, Walmart & Meijer), but Amazon came through in the clutch. The problem is brick & mortar locations only have so many square feet to stock a product and once you're out, you have to wait for them to restock, where as Amazon is pretty much guaranteed delivery by a certain date.

I thought it would have been more beneficial for Toys R Us to take an FAO Schwartz route and go super high-end, almost becoming a destination with maybe 1 store in luxury malls or high end shopping districts. The problem with that model is it plays against everything TRU stood for, being an everyday/blue collar toy store...and FAO didn't even last with that concept.

The name would still be able to generate interest as an intellectual property alone. If they could find a way to drastically improve their e-commerce capabilities (rival Amazons delivery method) and partner with a store wouldn't be a direct competitor it could work.

Something like having a store inside of a store like Best Buy, where they handled the video game department, tech toys and had a few aisles of the most popular items kids were looking for from Halloween to NYE.

Just my $0.02
+13   

1 week ago '18        #5
Demonmarcus 
space
space
$598 | Props total: 1999 1999

[pic - click to view]

+4   

1 week ago '15        #6
Kdub31 10 heat pts10
space
space
$1,664 | Props total: 7305 7305
It's gotta comebacc its so much easier to take a kid to a toy store and let them picc out $100 worth of sh*t than ordering on it on amazon and getting cheap chinese knoccoffs
+15   

1 week ago '19        #7
Bang On Em 
space
space
$186 | Props total: 345 345
Why? Kids don't play with toys anymore. They rather play a game on their phone or a tablet. I don't understand why Toys R Us hasn't gone strictly digital yet. It's a waste of money to pay for those big buildings that are always going to be half empty. There's a reason why Malls won't even exist 20 years from now.
+6   

1 week ago '17        #8
LegendaryLegend 8 heat pts
space
space
$3,203 | Props total: 9955 9955
Bring that muthafu*ka back bruh

1 week ago '15        #9
altaluv 
space
space
$1,008 | Props total: 1576 1576
Never went anywhere up here in Igloo land.

1 week ago '05        #10
precys 91 heat pts91
space
space
$5,412 | Props total: 11080 11080
We missed you Geoffrey!!

+1   

1 week ago '05        #11
precys 91 heat pts91
space
space
$5,412 | Props total: 11080 11080
 Bang On Em said
Why? Kids don't play with toys anymore. They rather play a game on their phone or a tablet. I don't understand why Toys R Us hasn't gone strictly digital yet. It's a waste of money to pay for those big buildings that are always going to be half empty. There's a reason why Malls won't even exist 20 years from now.

You show me a kid that doesn't want to run up and down isles of toys to pick and choose from and I'll show you 1 fu*ked up kid lmfaoo

+8   

1 week ago '04        #12
shortz 50 heat pts50
space
space
space
$7,263 | Props total: 2717 2717
Hope they come back always good to find something to give to girl on Valentine's day etc

The toy sections in Target are trash

1 week ago '17        #13
dubsax 13 heat pts13
space
space
$8,249 | Props total: 26187 26187
They should think out of the box and offer more than just retail or e-commerce.
Become a hybrid toy store/ chuckie cheese.
Where kids can have a party and play with toys/games and a rc race track.
+6   

1 week ago '08        #14
tdnupe3 14 heat pts14
space
space
$8,774 | Props total: 26343 26343
 dubsax said
They should think out of the box and offer more than just retail or e-commerce.
Become a hybrid toy store/ chuckie cheese.
Where kids can have a party and play with toys/games and a rc race track.
That's a great idea, and a really viable option for them. I don't see any other options for them. Amazon really k*lled them.

1 week ago '10        #15
ARosary 53 heat pts53
space
space
$11,135 | Props total: 5619 5619
The missing point I see nobody mentioning is their ridiculous markups....THAT WAS THE MAIN PROBLEM, aside from others.
+3   

1 week ago '06        #16
lato9905 29 heat pts29
space
space
$8,852 | Props total: 3867 3867
 precys said
You show me a kid that doesn't want to run up and down isles of toys to pick and choose from and I'll show you 1 fu*ked up kid lmfaoo

Ill explain to you the problem that Ive seen first hand. They will want to run up and down those aisles and buy EVERYTHING BUT when they get home they will play with it for 10 minutes, throw that sh*t in a corner and go back to playing Fortnite.

Suddenly all that money you spent is nothing but clutter and a waste. These kids have no imagination to be playing with army figurines / hot wheels or any of that sh*t anymore.

1 week ago '17        #17
SATX 2 heat pts
space
space
$925 | Props total: 1884 1884
 lato9905 said
Ill explain to you the problem that Ive seen first hand. They will want to run up and down those aisles and buy EVERYTHING BUT when they get home they will play with it for 10 minutes, throw that sh*t in a corner and go back to playing Fortnite.

Suddenly all that money you spent is nothing but clutter and a waste. These kids have no imagination to be playing with army figurines / hot wheels or any of that sh*t anymore.
I see what you're saying and that definitely the case but not all kids have that mindset. My nephew just had a birthday and I got him a bunch of those Marvel Titan series figs and my sister was telling me he's been playing with them non-stop and takes them everywhere. I think they do have a ps4 but give him a Spider-Man figure and he's set far as entertainment.

1 week ago '05        #18
blah blah blah 92 heat pts92
space
space
$29,402 | Props total: 40380 40380
Only simple nigas will shop there. Like dudes above said amazon and most kids play games on tablets, watch YouTube vids, etc

1 week ago '11        #19
Sin 1877 heat pts1877
space
space
$28,308 | Props total: 81339 81339
They should just do seasonal pop up shops like those Halloween stores do
+1   

1 week ago '04        #20
x Tha Arkitek x 86 heat pts86
space
space
$20,192 | Props total: 10436 10436
The store within a store concept could work, BUT...the biggest issue is, what store could that really work in? Walmart? No. (mainly because what reason do they have to want to help TRU?) Kohls? No. Sears? No. Macy's? No. I literally can't think of any national chain store that this concept could work with in 2019.

Second issue, it's one thing to have a store within store concept with small high end electronics (Samsung, Microsoft, Amazon & Apple) in a few hundred square feet of space...but how do you re-launch a brand which was known for endless aisles of toys in such a limited space? Even if you only display a "floor model" with the rest in the warehouse stock, you really have to know WHICH toys should be placed on display at any given time during the years.
+1   

1 week ago '14        #21
Dawknight316 3 heat pts
space
space
$2,992 | Props total: 3750 3750
Toys R’ Us needs to merge with Gamestop (GME).
+3   

1 week ago '19        #22
FP1305 
space
space
$248 | Props total: 369 369
 Demonmarcus said

[pic - click to view]

This sh*t too raw man ^^^^

+1   

1 week ago '05        #23
Se7en Six 76 1116 heat pts1116
space
space
space
$3,304 | Props total: 1918 1918
 ExNihilo said

I found it difficult this past Christmas to buy toys for nieces and nephews (hit Target, Walmart & Meijer), but Amazon came through in the clutch. The problem is brick & mortar locations only have so many square feet to stock a product and once you're out, you have to wait for them to restock, where as Amazon is pretty much guaranteed delivery by a certain date.

I thought it would have been more beneficial for Toys R Us to take an FAO Schwartz route and go super high-end, almost becoming a destination with maybe 1 store in luxury malls or high end shopping districts. The problem with that model is it plays against everything TRU stood for, being an everyday/blue collar toy store...and FAO didn't even last with that concept.

The name would still be able to generate interest as an intellectual property alone. If they could find a way to drastically improve their e-commerce capabilities (rival Amazons delivery method) and partner with a store wouldn't be a direct competitor it could work.

Something like having a store inside of a store like Best Buy, where they handled the video game department, tech toys and had a few aisles of the most popular items kids were looking for from Halloween to NYE.

Just my $0.02
Interesting enough, the destination store (Times Square) was one of the first to close. Not for nothing though as a kid that store was legit as fu*k. We went right after it opened cause my pops did some of the lighting there, still remember him saying this wonít last when you spend a over a million on lighting in a toy store....was right
+1   

1 week ago '18        #24
9shots92bricks 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,295 | Props total: 3402 3402
tbh i was doing some late Christmas shopping for my kids and others and amazon wasnt an option bc it was too late and walmart and target toys were either sold out or didnt have a great selection so i kinda missed toys r us in a sense were i can go to a toy store and get something and maybe they should do like the firework and Halloween costume stores around my way and just open shop for the holidays and close down when people not really buying gifts and have more of a internet presence

oh and bring back the giraffe even do a Netflix show based around him and toys to bring in the new kids

Last edited by 9shots92bricks; 02-12-2019 at 09:00 AM..

1 week ago '12        #25
The2ndHorseman 19 heat pts19
space
space
$6,503 | Props total: 10179 10179
 ExNihilo said

Just my $0.02
hit the nail on the head

cant go too high-end but they were in talks about doing popups and kiosk type of things inside of stores and malls like you said , I think it could work but even then...

I think they dropped the ball on digital goods and ecom as well ...its just a diff landscape than the 80s/90s
+1   

Home      

most viewed right now
+180online now  21
Video inside wife of brazilian billionaire getting pounded out by security [caught o..
422 comments
2 days ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+76online now  18
Image(s) inside Haitian KiKY wit dem swangass
66 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
-33online now  13
Video inside BlueFace Allegedly Hooked Up With A Transgender