Chris Rock Roasts The Current State Of Comedy, Says He Can't Say Anything Funny

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

3 months ago '12        #1
5294 page views
101 comments

UghhFan 1226 heat pts1226
space
space
$5,695 | Props total: 20891 20891
Chris Rock Roasts The Current State Of Comedy, Says He Can't Say Anything Funny

Chris Rock Roasts The Current State Of Comedy, Says He Can’t Say Anything Funny Or Offensive Anymore

Comedian Chris Rock took center stage at the 2019 New York Film Critics Circle Awards, where he presented fellow comedian and breakout “Eighth Grade” director Bo Burnham with this year’s Best First Film prize. During his brief time on stage, he decided to speak on the current state of comedy and how he can’t joke the same way he did 5 years ago due to the backlash it will bring.

Rock said, “If it was five years ago, I could say something really offensive and funny right now, but I can’t do that anymore, so…heyyyy!” The joke was in reference to Kevin Hart and Louis CK, who have both been at the center of backlash for past jokes that are now deemed offensive to the LGBTQ and the Parkland shooting survivors.

During his speech, Rock spotted legendary comedian Steve Martin in the audience and abruptly stopped his presentation to shout, “Steve Martin is here! You should host the Oscars! You’re the best! Steve Martin should host the Oscars! Because I’m not doing it, goddammit! You’re not getting me.” Chris himself has hosted the Oscars twice, first in 2005 and again in 2016
+47   

101 comments for "Chris Rock Roasts The Current State Of Comedy, Says He Can't Say Anything Funny"

3 months ago '18        #2
Lord God 78 heat pts78
space
space
$4,653 | Props total: 22840 22840
I don't know. If comedians feel their comedy is being taken away from them because they can't make jokes about children being shot at, I'd say it's time to dig deep for some new material or retire.

3 months ago '06        #3
Sewer 32 heat pts32
space
space
$6,924 | Props total: 11071 11071

[pic - click to view]

+50   

3 months ago '04        #4
Young Fab 2 heat pts
space
space
$19,610 | Props total: 19650 19650
 Lord God said
I don't know. If comedians feel their comedy is being taken away from them because they can't make jokes about children being shot at, I'd say it's time to dig deep for some new material or retire.
Getcho pus*y a*s outta here
+109   

3 months ago '18        #5
Lord God 78 heat pts78
space
space
 Young Fab said
you'll be alright bro

3 months ago '04        #6
regularjoe 62 heat pts62
space
space
$39,347 | Props total: 18851 18851
 Lord God said
If everything offensive is off limits, then there is nothing to joke about.

No swearing. Cause some people don't like it.
No race jokes. Cause some people don't like it.
No gender jokes. Cause some people don't like it.
No bad mouthing poor performance. Cause some people will find it offensive.
No jokes about bad things in history. Cause some people won't like it.

There's a REALLY simple rule that people, like you, don't understand. If you don't like it, don't watch/listen. You have options to do other things, opposed to whining like a bi*ch on social media.
+89   

3 months ago '18        #7
Lord God 78 heat pts78
space
space
 regularjoe said
If everything offensive is off limits, then there is nothing to joke about.
Disagree, and there's plenty of room between clean comedy and making fun of active shooter victims.

3 months ago '04        #8
GodsFavorite 109 heat pts109
space
space
space
$9,837 | Props total: 4963 4963
Comedy doesn’t have to be offensive to be funny. Comedians who got by on lazy shock humor are just gonna have to work harder

3 months ago '15        #9
chrishansen88 92 heat pts92
space
space
$6,632 | Props total: 13788 13788
Ima go see Corey Holcomb tonight and I know he’ll be one of the last comedians to ever conform to politically correct comedy

You’re a bi*ch if a joke told by a comedian offends you
+68   

3 months ago '09        #10
AC SLATER 73 heat pts73
space
space
$53,291 | Props total: 22089 22089
He's right.
+1   

3 months ago '04        #11
regularjoe 62 heat pts62
space
space
 Lord God said
Disagree, and there's plenty of room between clean comedy and making fun of active shooter victims.
Yes, but what if someone makes a funny 9/11 joke.... is that not ok, because people could be offended?

What if someone makes a funny joke about white people or black people or Chinese, etc., etc., etc... is that not ok, because some people could be offended?

Just because YOU'RE offended by a school shooting joke, doesn't mean people can't or shouldn't make them.... it means if YOU don't like it, YOU don't have to listen.

Crying like a bi*ch about the comedian needing to find new topics is offensive to me, so knock it off. Maybe instead of YOU worrying about THE COMEDIAN.... YOU should worry about YOU. It's shocking how much that will fix a lot of problems for a lot of people.

GodsFavorite said
Comedy doesn’t have to be offensive to be funny. Comedians who got by on lazy shock humor are just gonna have to work harder
Do you like Dave Chappelle? Chris Rock? Bill Burr? All those guys.... GREAT comics/minds.... but they make offensive humor.
+30   

3 months ago '09        #12
AC SLATER 73 heat pts73
space
space
 GodsFavorite said
"Lazy shock humour"...lol. Louis is one of the best writers in comedy. Just because it's "shocking" doesn't mean it's poorly written or "lazy". He's always challenged his audience. My prob is when ppl misinterpret the point of the jokes and then cry about it. Some of y'all won't rest until all comedians can joke about is inanimate objects. Completely take the challenge in finding the humour in dark subjects right out of the art form. That'll be lovely.
+20   

3 months ago '09        #13
AC SLATER 73 heat pts73
space
space
 regularjoe said
Yes, but what if someone makes a funny 9/11 joke.... is that not ok, because people could be offended?

What if someone makes a funny joke about white people or black people or Chinese, etc., etc., etc... is that not ok, because some people could be offended?

Just because YOU'RE offended by a school shooting joke, doesn't mean people can't or shouldn't make them.... it means if YOU don't like it, YOU don't have to listen.

Crying like a bi*ch about the comedian needing to find new topics is offensive to me, so knock it off. Maybe instead of YOU worrying about THE COMEDIAN.... YOU should worry about YOU. It's shocking how much that will fix a lot of problems for a lot of people.

Do you like Dave Chappelle? Chris Rock? Bill Burr? All those guys.... GREAT comics/minds.... but they make offensive humor.
The vast majority of all time great comics are offensive by today's standards..lol.
+16   

3 months ago '04        #14
regularjoe 62 heat pts62
space
space
 AC SLATER said
The vast majority of all time great comics are offensive by today's standards..lol.
It's this attention craving, sensitive society we live in. It's disgusting.

What no one wants to admit, is those people complaining about offensive things, really want those offensive things said, so they have something to complain about, and scream "pay attention to me" about.

It's parallel to people offended by gay marriage or gender switching. If it doesn't affect you, and it's not hurting anyone... why the fu*k do you care? Just worry about you.
+17   

3 months ago '09        #15
AC SLATER 73 heat pts73
space
space
 regularjoe said

What no one wants to admit, is those people complaining about offensive things, really want those offensive things said, so they have something to complain about, and scream "pay attention to me" about.

It's parallel to people offended by gay marriage or gender switching. If it doesn't affect you, and it's not hurting anyone... why the fu*k do you care? Just worry about you.
Yeah, it's inevitably going to come back around and bite them in the a*s. They keep looking for the new person to vilify & silence (by any means). They blow everything out of proportion and don't want to give anybody a shot at redemption. I don't think digging decades into somebody's past for dirt, using it against them, and trying to permanently destroy their reputation is necessarily a wise move...lol. These sanctimonious sh*theads created this monster now they gotta watch their step for the rest of their life with crossed fingers praying it's not their past that is dug into...
+7   

Top 10 most propped recently  3 months ago '17        #16
justin747 44 heat pts44
space
space
$11,971 | Props total: 57051 57051
It's happening.... The angry era from the 90s is coming back

+10   

3 months ago '12        #17
acefresh 23 heat pts23
space
space
$9,968 | Props total: 35171 35171
 regularjoe said

It’s the most selfish self fulfillment I’ve ever seen. People rise up in arms to collectively chastise and judge others they do not know, satisfying their selfish desire to feel important, like they’re making a difference and are a part of something.

Like when they started boycotting Reebok til they dropped rozay for that “took her home n enjoyed that, she ain’t even know it”....an apology is the worst thing for these people. They want to destroy any transgressors, and make a spectacle of it while doing so.

All of this is really really bad for society in my opinion. And I don’t mean Harvey weinstein and Kevin spacey aren’t scumbags and shouldn’t have gotten what they got. They deserve it. But there has to be a line drawn somewhere so that people can still feel able to speak freely.

I miss the fu*kin 90s. I’d give all this tech up. Just gimme One of them startec flip phones with the pullout antenna n send me to 94.
+10   

3 months ago '12        #18
UghhFan 1226 heat pts1226 OP
space
space
$5,695 | Props total: 20891 20891
 Young Fab said
+6   

3 months ago '18        #19
Lord God 78 heat pts78
space
space
 regularjoe said

Not offended by a school shooting joke... It's just immoral, and desensitized people want others to be just as numb, or else gtfo lol

I just see through the smoke, and a lot of yall just want comedy to be no holds barred, which is cool to a degree. I think we can't innovate if we can't push margins, so I get it.

Yet, I don't think that margin necessarily needs to be instances where people are still grieving their dead teens... for your entertainment... And if you need that kind of entertainment that bad, acknowledge your niche and enjoy.

Just don't cry when people don't

3 months ago '04        #20
regularjoe 62 heat pts62
space
space
 Lord God said
Not offended by a school shooting joke... It's just immoral, and desensitized people want others to be just as numb, or else gtfo lol

I just see through the smoke, and a lot of yall just want comedy to be no holds barred, which is cool to a degree. I think we can't innovate if we can't push margins, so I get it.

Yet, I don't think that margin necessarily needs to be instances where people are still grieving their dead teens... for your entertainment... And if you need that kind of entertainment that bad, acknowledge your niche and enjoy.

Just don't cry when people don't
The fact you don't get, that you don't get it.... is kind of telling.

If one thing is off limits, then EVERYTHING is off limits. You can't make a joke about the flowers you grew in your garden being a little better than someone elses. Cause that's offensive to someone.

It's confusing why you just can't say... "Yep, I don't like this, I won't watch/listen". And be done with it. Instead, you... and people of your ilk, need to make every single thing.... into a THING.
+15   

3 months ago '04        #21
regularjoe 62 heat pts62
space
space
Here's a very clear example.

Dave Chappelle R Kelly/MJ skit.

[video - click to view]

Funny, yet offensive to some, but still funny.

Does this mean you are ok with R Kelly/MJ touching/raping/molesting underage children? Obviously fu*king not.

Is it still ok to laugh at this skit? Absolutely.
+25   

3 months ago '18        #22
Lord God 78 heat pts78
space
space
 regularjoe said
The fact you don't get, that you don't get it.... is kind of telling.

If one thing is off limits, then EVERYTHING is off limits. You can't make a joke about the flowers you grew in your garden being a little better than someone elses. Cause that's offensive to someone.

It's confusing why you just can't say... "Yep, I don't like this, I won't watch/listen". And be done with it. Instead, you... and people of your ilk, need to make every single thing.... into a THING.
I don't think you're hearing me.

I don't think comedians should be silenced or censored. They should be free to say whatever they want... But people like yourself shouldn't get so worked up when people that aren't so desensitized to recent atrocities don't find humor in those kind of jokes. Like I said... If that humor is something that you enjoy, then acknowledge your niche and enjoy that sh*t. Some people don't like dark humor... Sue us?

The "don't listen then" thing is played too...because yall post the sh*t lol. I didn't seek out C.K. to hear his school shooting joke. Someone somewhere thought it was newsworthy enough to post it, which proves it's more than just normal humor. It was shocking enough to be newsworthy.

Last edited by Lord God; 01-11-2019 at 11:26 AM..

3 months ago '04        #23
regularjoe 62 heat pts62
space
space
 Lord God said
I don't think you're hearing me.

I don't think comedians should be silenced or censored. They should be free to say whatever they want... But people like yourself shouldn't get so worked up when people that aren't so desensitized to recent atrocities don't find humor in those kind of jokes. Like I said... If that humor is something that you enjoy, then acknowledge your niche and enjoy that sh*t. Some people don't like dark humor... Sue us?
You're changing your stance, while missing the point.

We SHOULD get worked up things like this. Because the crybaby minority has become the controlling direction of where things like this go, and it's wrong.
+4   

3 months ago '18        #24
Lord God 78 heat pts78
space
space
 regularjoe said
You're changing your stance, while missing the point.

We SHOULD get worked up things like this. Because the crybaby minority has become the controlling direction of where things like this go, and it's wrong.
No one's actually stopping a comedian from continuing though. Perhaps the people that like that humor should support the comedians enough that they stick around.

The problem you have though is that enough people are turning their backs on these comedians and they're disappearing. Maybe that's just the business... People are entertaining = you still have a job. The laughs stop, and you're done.

3 months ago '17        #25
1Oh 8 heat pts
space
space
$3,513 | Props total: 18072 18072
Offensive comedy is the best comedy in my opinion. As long as its clever and doesnt sound overly malicious, I can take an offensive joke even at my own detriment.
+11   

Home      

most viewed right now
+67online now  41
Image(s) inside Instant Nut Bust
73 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
online now  37
Image(s) inside TMZ NEW VIDEO: GETAWAY DRIVER in NIPSEY HUSSLE Shooting BEEN EXPOSED A..
166 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+77online now  36
Her wagon full of passion n I ain't passin
33 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
online now  25
MK 11 Follows Tradition by Scamming More Gamers Out of Content With Microtrans..
51 comments
20 hours ago
@games
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy