What was the black market in your high school?

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

2 weeks ago '13        #1
526 page views
34 comments

uoeno 96 heat pts96
space
space
space
$8,463 | Props total: 22916 22916
What was the black market in your high school?

Downloading unreleased from the jukebox and selling them was the move

visit this link https://www.reddit.com/r/ .. ur_highschool/

s3xual favors. When I was a junior, they caught several girls trading blowjobs for money in the auditorium. I never got involved (gay guy here), but my classmates still talk about it years later.
Our high school had an internet filter

An enterprising friend of mine set up a FreeBSD server in his basement, and put together some 256mb flash drives with an executable version of Firefox (could run directly from the flash drive without installs) and a SSH client. You could plug it in, connect SSH, then use the server as a proxy for all the Firefox traffic and get around any website you wanted.

Those flash drives were a hot commodity, let me tell you. You could set up in the library and just start casually browsing a banned website, and people would start coming up and asking how you could do it.
Ti-83 calculators. Everyone had to have one and some people could not afford them. We had one guy that was KNOWN to steal them from other students and resell to people that needed them. The theft was so bad that the administration bought an etching tool and we had to etch our names into the calculators. It all came down when the supplier sold a kid back his own calculator, with his name on it. The kid got in a fist f!ght with the supplier, bad f!ght, we broke it up and administration came running in. They picked up the suppliers backpack and he had like 50 calculators in it. He was expelled. He was also really really dumb. He is currently in prison for trying to hold up a taxi cab with a squirt gun. Cab driver pulled out a real gun and called the cops.
The cafeteria (not school run, kind of just a cafe inside the school) would charge $3-4 for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, so one girl kept the ingredients in her locker and charged $1. When the school caught wind and shut it down, they tried to guilt us all by saying how the cafeteria was someone's livelihood and we were taking away from that. But like. $4 for peanut butter?
These things people called Ghetto Bears, they were Gummy bears covered with powdered Kool-Aid
My school ended up banning soda because it was “too sugary.” They replaced all the soda vending machines with Gatorade, and started to serve only fruit punch and pink lemonade in the cafeteria.

So my band teacher started secretly selling soda out of his classroom. The classroom was by itself on the far end of campus, so no other teachers were around. The band students spread the word to other students, so he had a nice stream of customers, and he used the money to buy band equipment since the school wouldn’t fund him (band, theater, and art shared a budget with sports, so of course sports always got all the money).
I sold cup noodles in my locker because we didn't have a very good timetable for lunch.
So, you know how every high school has a trench coat kid? Well the trench coat kid at my high school would open up his trench coat to reveal dozens upon dozens of sewn on pockets stuffed to the brim with snacks and candies. He had them organized like shelves at a candy store too-gummies on the inside right brea$t flap, trolli eggs on one side of the second pocket from the lapel, peach rings on the other. He sold snacks for half the price of the vending machines and would add the cash to this giant wad secured by a rubber band in the only interior pocket on the trench coat.

Also, everything he sold was that kind of rare and coveted varieties of snacks that you only find in that sort of occasional, unassuming gas station you stop at the beginning of a road trip but can’t find again on your way back. He also had popular snacks in packaging I’ve never seen anywhere else. Like comically miniature takis- that came in a dollhouse sized bag.
Went to a very strict boarding school that essentially prohibited most things. So a “black market,” existed with practically every student having their own product speciality, from music, to potato chips, to drugs, to pr0n, to candy, to books etc etc.

I was the soda guy. You wanted soda. I had you covered.
Handballs. Went to intermediate school in a coastal city where kids were fu*king nuts for handball. The school wasn’t very big so every once in a while kids would hit the ball in a weird angle and have it go flying onto the roof, lost for eternity.

For reasons I won’t get into, during lunch I would volunteer as a garbage collector - picking up people’s plates and dumping them out, packing up the garbage bags, etc. I became really good friends with the janitors and so one day I mentioned to them how the roof was probably the holy grail of handballs. The next day one of them handed me a huge trash bag filled with handballs that he had picked up from the roof.

For about a month I became the most popular kid in school.
This didn't happen in highschool, but rather in elementary school.

Every few months we would have a book fair type of thing at school, and every time I bought a pokemon book.

By grade 3 I had about 6 of them.

I started lending the books to other kids in my class, and they would read them instead of paying attention. The teachers caught on to this and started banning the pokemon books. This just increased demand.

In order to keep track of who had which books, I gave all of the regulars book cards that they could trade.

One of my friends who somehow always had candy saw a market there, and so I told people they could also trade in the pokemon cards with him for candy.

We created a currency and we were the mint.

Eventually the teachers traced it back to us. Some of them laughed, but our main teacher was piiiiiisssed.

sh*t was cash, yo
condoms oddly enough, can you tell i live in a small town in the bible belt, hell you could get the things for free from the health dept. but damned if people didn't recognize each other and talk, same with buying 'em in stores. hell my ma didn't care we'd take my sister for her depo shot, i'd pick up a paper sack of condoms sell 'em for 50 cents a pop to the junior high kids, hell it's how i paid for art club fees and money for the trips.
Not high school, but year 7 (11-12 years old). In 1999, it was absolutely mandatory to be listening to the Slim Shady LP. A friend of mine happened to have an older brother with the CD and a Dad with a CD burner - quite the little hot shot, he was.

He made a k!lling selling copies for £5 a go.

Last edited by uoeno; 12-05-2018 at 01:20 PM..
+3   

34 comments for "What was the black market in your high school?"

2 weeks ago '15        #2
KING SOULJA 32 heat pts32
space
space
$10,597 | Props total: 14225 14225
I used to sell cds back in school to kids cus I was big pimping with a CD burner back when most kids my way didn’t even have a computer I Already has most of the albums they wanted anyway. I remember some bi*ch waltzed up to me talking about you got that new Toby Keith or some country bozo and I told her I only do rap so I sold the bi*ch Eminem show I think was the album. And y’all probably would never believe me but back in those days, I used to be quite the Nelly stan. I even rocked the band aid
+5   

2 weeks ago '15        #3
KING SOULJA 32 heat pts32
space
space
$10,597 | Props total: 14225 14225
Oops double post oh that makes me so angry

2 weeks ago '15        #4
SeraphKin 5 heat pts
space
space
$8,161 | Props total: 32837 32837
My boy sold candy and drinks out his duffle. Graduated to pounds and kilos after high school, beat his trafficking charge on a technicality.

Also any new music CD was burned and sold.
My boy had dreamcast and pc games and another was the pr0n plug.

Middle school it was weed. High school everybdy just did drugs together, never paid for weed in high school.

2 weeks ago '15        #5
414mvp 
space
space
$1,380 | Props total: 1867 1867
Self Snitching thread ?

2 weeks ago '18        #6
Oswaldgatesjr 14 heat pts14
space
space
space
$4,116 | Props total: 8151 8151
Our school had some kind of filter that blocked pr0nsites and other non edcuational sites but if you put the website address in while holding a certain key down and putting spme letters in front of website name u coulf get on it.

This one guy use to burn cds and sell them for 5 bucks. My freshman year i gave homie 5 bucks and got a fu*ked up version of the black album wit tracks skipping and missing.two weeks before it was released. Also brought street disciple my sophomore year.

Another guy use to rent out pr0n vcr tapes for a dollar a day. Since dvd had just became the most useful way to watch a movie no one would rent them but me

I sold tree for a small bit but one day i had a ounce in my locker in a sock. They announced over the pa to lock all classroom doors and let no students out. I just knew i was fu*ked and was scared. They sent the k9s thru but miraculously i didnt get caught. Stopped that day.

Last edited by Oswaldgatesjr; 12-05-2018 at 01:59 PM..

2 weeks ago '04        #7
Tastemaker331 68 heat pts68
space
space
$41,540 | Props total: 19331 19331
Burned CD's of the latest album or mixtape
The n*ggas that included the album cover in the slim jewel case usually charged more. n*ggas used copy paper lmao

Years later I found out that the n*gga who had the latest albums was downloading from Boxden

During the last few months of senior year, me and a few guys sold burned DVDs and Data Discs of pr0n. I'd download files from the Jukebox and my Indian homie would burn them. n*ggas used to tell me I was better than selling smut but I honestly saw nothing wrong with it. These days I earn my living b/c of it. Crazy lol

Last edited by Tastemaker331; 12-05-2018 at 02:04 PM..
+2   

2 weeks ago '06        #8
realgunta 842 heat pts842
space
space
$26,072 | Props total: 43735 43735
bootleg CDs was the main thing back when i was in high school

nothing was wrong with that though
+2   

2 weeks ago '16        #9
BossTonMA 16 heat pts16
space
space
$8,757 | Props total: 25922 25922
Mixtapes, weed and E. That’s about it.

2 weeks ago '06        #10
detroitdipset 
space
space
$733 | Props total: 864 864
I had all the candy in highschool. Moms ahd the sams card.... took my lil $6.50/hr check and cashed out.

doubled up every week and even sold to teachers.

from then it was dreamcast games. My asian guy made me one for $10...immediately I told him id give him $200 for 30. n*ggas i was caking!
+1   

2 weeks ago '08        #11
ExNihilo 53 heat pts53
space
space
$22,418 | Props total: 30266 30266
Old Head checkin in

Elementary school - Candy

Middle School: Comic books, videogame trading (we were gamefly )

High School: Weed and the occasional firearm....but I'm from a major city, so most of the "black market" stuff you could get at school you could get in the hood, so it wasn't a big deal. I remember when we needed TI calculators, so I lifted a few from class. Felt bad cuz the teacher was cool.

Edit - First few weeks of school we wouldn't have our IDs yet, and had paper copies with our schedules. We needed them to get into the building. Of course they got ripped, folded into paper balls or lost, but I dusted off a old dot matrix printer in the basement and reprinted one for myself. A few of my boys wondered how mines was still clean and I told them I made it. So I became the go to for new IDs Only did it for friends free of charge, but I wasn't about to change the schedule, so everyone had my schedule with their name and ID number.

Last edited by ExNihilo; 12-05-2018 at 02:13 PM..
+1   

2 weeks ago '15        #12
Jarett718 
space
space
$1,445 | Props total: 4688 4688
Elementary school sold pokemon cards

High School candy and (right before the kazaa/bearshare era) im from Brooklyn but went to school in North Carolina a had every mixtape a week or two before they reached the south djclue and 50 paid for alot of things
+1   

2 weeks ago '15        #13
Jarett718 
space
space
Shoutout to all my high school burn/bootleg cd sellers in the early 2000s
+6   

2 weeks ago '15        #14
Jarett718 
space
space
Shoutout to all my elementary candy/snacks sellers in the 90s/early 2000s
+1   

2 weeks ago '05        #15
BurninLz 35 heat pts35
space
space
$10,922 | Props total: 3288 3288
First it was just burning mixtapes/albums/movies etc at $5 a pop

then it was Modded Xbox 360s and burnt games

Buy one game for $60, or 5 for $60? Kids were lining up

Also fixing the red ring of death. Microsoft charged out the a.ss but all you had to do was wrap some pennies in electrical tape and put them under the heat sinks. A hundred dollar fix i'd charge, literally cost like 10 cents

Made a k!lling, everyone thought i was a drug dealer.

Last edited by BurninLz; 12-05-2018 at 02:31 PM..
+1   

2 weeks ago '15        #16
Jarett718 
space
space
 BurninLz said
First it was just burning mixtapes/albums/movies etc

then it was Modded Xbox 360s and burnt games

Buy one game for $60, or 5 for $60?

Also fixing the red ring of death. Microsoft charged out the a.ss but all you had to do was wrap some pennies in electrical tape and put them under the heat sinks. A hundred dollar fix i'd charge, literally cost like 10 cents

Made a k!lling, everyone thought i was a drug dealer.

5 for $60 that’s nice but fixing the ring of death (not all heroes wear capes) only using 10 pennies and charging $99.90 that’s a finesse
+1   

2 weeks ago '16        #17
Negusis 6 heat pts
space
space
space
$3,615 | Props total: 8877 8877
My friend ran a makeshift candy shop.

He had a better variety than our snack machines and lower prices.

Our school was a little over 2000 kids, pmus teachers, admin and everybody else that was there.

From 8 to 5 he was slinging candy. He got so big that he had employees and he himself was making abiut 3k a month. I thi k he peaked at about 4500 a month.

Then the school nutired the business and told him he vould only sell at certain hours and certain stuff. He started cutting in heavy to the snack machine and cafeteria business. He was getting too much money. A 16 year old gettimg 3k a month tax free. He was our valedictorian. He was getting more money than the drug dealers.

2 weeks ago '06        #18
"SS" 30 heat pts30
space
space
$11,031 | Props total: 8086 8086
We had one of those descrambler boxes, so i would record the spice channel on one of those 6 hour vhs tapes every night and sell it at school the next day. Also sold all wwf ppv the Monday after. Only bad thing was i could only do 1 tape a day, but it was gas and lunch money. I graduated a couole years before cd burning really caught on, but I'm sure i woulda cleaned up on that sh*t.
+1   

2 weeks ago '17        #19
thegreygoose11 17 heat pts17
space
space
$1,116 | Props total: 2069 2069
TI-83 programs
stolen gameboys
stolen northface jackets
butterfly knives
burned CDs
drugs
firearms
+1   

2 weeks ago '15        #20
Jarett718 
space
space
 Negusis said
My friend ran a makeshift candy shop.

He had a better variety than our snack machines and lower prices.

Our school was a little over 2000 kids, pmus teachers, admin and everybody else that was there.

From 8 to 5 he was slinging candy. He got so big that he had employees and he himself was making abiut 3k a month. I thi k he peaked at about 4500 a month.

Then the school nutired the business and told him he vould only sell at certain hours and certain stuff. He started cutting in heavy to the snack machine and cafeteria business. He was getting too much money. A 16 year old gettimg 3k a month tax free. He was our valedictorian. He was getting more money than the drug dealers.
Tyson,general mills, kraft and nestle saw kid was taking over the block and called up snoop and chris

2 weeks ago '06        #21
imthatinfamous 40 heat pts40
space
space
$9,532 | Props total: 6445 6445
T style clippers
Burned CD's and Movies
White and Black T's
girbaud jeans
one kid had a monopoly on Jamaican beef patties
herb
Nextel phones

2 weeks ago '13        #22
dUb IV 8 heat pts
space
space
$752 | Props total: 1729 1729
I used to sell CDs, DVDs and mixtapes. My dads best friend worked at circuit city and got me the circuit city branded blanks for free. Limewire and Morpheus gave my parents computers AIDS something serious lmao
+2   

2 weeks ago '16        #23
kushmasterflex2 
space
space
space
$718 | Props total: 1404 1404
Burning and selling cds
And lots of reggie being sold

2 weeks ago '14        #24
black cobra 770 heat pts770
space
space
$16,483 | Props total: 71635 71635
CDs
Answer keys for test & quizzes
Hw/essays
+2   

2 weeks ago '18        #25
BrooklynDamien 
space
space
$1,330 | Props total: 5731 5731
Weed. We spent all our money on weed.

Home         

most viewed right now
-59online now  16
Rap legend DJ Quik Broke & forced to do local news to make $$$. Talks Offset C..
38 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+32online now  16
Florence, SC: Routine Traffic Stop Ends With Officers Discovering Bag Of Human..
114 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  15
Video inside She wanted to lie but ....
28 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+62online now  9
Video inside So Basically Gucci Mane Confirmed Niggas Don't fu-k With Eminem Like Th..
798 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+16online now  9
Video inside Famous Dex nodding off on IG Live
89 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+21online now  7
Dec 17 - Donald Trump has fu-ked the stock market