Instagram Users Are Disappointed With IGTV: Now What?

most viewed right now
+54  192
168 comments @hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

2 weeks ago '04        #1
1052 page views
20 comments

mr_underground|m 2112 heat pts2112
space
space
$24,224 | Props total: 34475 34475
Instagram Users Are Disappointed With IGTV: Now What?

IGTV has been makings headlines, and many of them have been less than favorable.

Itís worth pointing out that Instagramís approach had some things going for it.

For example, when IGTV came onto the radar in June, it appeared as though Instagram was officially taking on video behemoth YouTube. It seemed like a bold move, made more remarkable by the fact that IGTV content would be vertical only.

YouTube, however, is already in the business of vertical video. In 2017, it updated its mobile application to accommodate a vertical video format. (And, to no oneís surprise, YouTube hasnít gone out of its way to emphasize this update.)

But hereís the thing: Instagram is very good at successfully launching new features by emulating or improving what has worked for other platforms. Stories, after all, was originally panned and called a replica of Snapchat. Nonetheless, Instagram recently shared that Stories had over 400 million daily users, more than double that of Snapchat.

So, the question we really need to ask is: Can Instagram still get IGTV right?

Clearly, Instagram isnít planning to give up anytime soon. ďWe have to wait for people to adopt it, and that takes time,Ē outgoing Instagram CEO Kevin Systrom said in a recent interview with TechCrunch.

If adoption ďtakes time,Ē then, for the time being, it seems imperative to understand what some of the major missteps were, and if theyíll continue to matter. And, following that, we can start to determine if brands should look for ways to use IGTV or just look away altogether.

Mass accessibility
In the blink of an eye, IGTV was accessible to every user. Piloting IGTV to a group of niche brands, influencers and content creators for a longer period of time would have been idealóthe average user would have better understood how to use this fresh update, and there would be more original content for them to engage with.

Without such guidance, many people have resorted to using IGTV as if it were Stories or Live.

And now that YouTube is reportedly offering six-figure checks to its most popular creators, IGTV has yet another hurdle to clear if Instagram wants premium talent sharing original goods.

Ads arenít currently running, but, at the least, having premium content in the short term could have heightened an advertiserís desire to appear within IGTV once the opportunity presented itself.

By becoming available to everyone so soon, IGTV has run the risk of burning out before it can really take off.

Functionality issues
Searching within IGTV doesnít provide the best user experience and often yields rudimentary results. If a user wants to find fashion content, theyíre currently only going to see channels that have the word ďfashionĒ represented in the handle or account name.

The recent update to Instagramís Explore section could be of great benefit to IGTV. It would be smart for the photo- and video-sharing network to use its algorithm to populate a list of relevant topics or categories for each user. This could increase a userís ability to discover new content.

Making IGTV a legitimate destination within the application, rather than a passive destination, would also optimize the userís experience. Right now, one wrong tap or swipe takes you back to your main Instagram feed, which doesnít provide a positive interaction and is just plain annoying.

Do people actually want this format?
Viewing video in a horizontal format is, without question, the standard. This is not to say that horizontal video will always be the standard, but itís a gamble for anyone to think that they can thwart such an ingrained behavior.

Also, this format isnít attention-span-friendly (not in an Instagram context, at least). The rampant success of Stories stems largely from its ephemeral nature and interactive features like stickers and questions. Itís easy to go down a rabbit hole in Stories because theyíre over in a flash and the user can jump to the next thing. Thatís very different from devoting a chunk of time to digesting a story if, of course, thatís where IGTV is heading.

Granted, many thought that YouTube was only good for watching videos of cats or babies doing the darnedest things. Now, popular content creators like Jackie Aina and Casey Neistat can pull in hundreds-of-thousands to 1 million views on videos up to 10+ minutes long.

The bottom line?
Brands should still think long-term with IGTV. Now is not a good time to rush in and try to force IGTV to work. After all, itís OK not to be everywhere on social media. Itís even more important to speak to an audience where a brand sees the most beneficial interactions.

If that kind of thinking leads a brand to IGTV, it would do well to take this time to observe the landscape, take note of what competitors might be doing and craft a real strategy that enables it to make a splash in the best way possible. Being first-to-market is exciting, but crushing it is even better.

One more important fact: IGTV may seem like the wild west right now, but video content has become an indisputably powerful tool for brands and influencers alike. Instagram has always had a knack for being a successfully disruptive brand. And if history repeats itself, then IGTV may yet turn out to be a true game changer in video consumption.

visit this link https://www.adweek.com/di .. igtv-now-what/

20 comments for "Instagram Users Are Disappointed With IGTV: Now What?"

2 weeks ago '09        #2
All Star Flow 4 heat pts
space
space
$1,825 | Props total: 1672 1672
I think there will always be a YouTube
+1   

2 weeks ago '18        #3
BrooklynDamien 
space
space
$1,329 | Props total: 5718 5718
Still no idea what igtv is... Read the whole article... Or what stories is... I've never done snap chat to compare it so...idk
+6   

2 weeks ago '11        #4
Anti 11 heat pts11
space
space
$5,498 | Props total: 11724 11724
I want vertical videos on YouTube man.

2 weeks ago '04        #5
mr_underground|m 2112 heat pts2112 OP
space
space
$24,224 | Props total: 34475 34475
 BrooklynDamien said
Still no idea what igtv is... Read the whole article... Or what stories is... I've never done snap chat to compare it so...idk
IGTV is facebook/instagrams attempt at creating a video platform like youtube but with vertical videos only.

Anti said
I want vertical videos on YouTube man.
youtube has vertical video support.

2 weeks ago '18        #6
DrizzyStan06 47 heat pts47
space
space
$1,256 | Props total: 10909 10909
Instagram has 2 years left at most.

2 weeks ago '05        #7
CartelFamill 61 heat pts61
space
space
space
$5,906 | Props total: 3124 3124
IG and Youtube aint goin nowhere but If IG want IGTV to even resemble comp for Youtube They gotta Drop that BAG

2 weeks ago '06        #8
Doe Sun 3 heat pts
space
space
space
$927 | Props total: 496 496
 DrizzyStan06 said
hope so, all these ig models thinking they the sh*t. since IG founders left and mark zuck took over, i've noticed they have been pushing a lot more ads. i quit facebook because i counted 13 posts in a row were ad / nonrelevant info related. IG is heading towards that path....
+2   

2 weeks ago '09        #9
DatBrownDood 112 heat pts112
space
space
$26,576 | Props total: 3166 3166
Take away algorithm. Why the fu*k won’t they listen to us???
+4   

2 weeks ago '15        #10
Madethagreat 9 heat pts
space
space
$4,543 | Props total: 10657 10657
It’s stale bruh

I feel like social media may die out and everyone will enjoy outside again. Being realistic, all social media will probably down trend and and go all minimal with their interfaces. All this trying to cram extra sh*t on your screen ruins the experience. All this extra advertisement ruins it for everyone.

Last edited by Madethagreat; 12-05-2018 at 07:31 PM..
+3   

2 weeks ago '05        #11
bqstudios 8 heat pts
space
space
$2,471 | Props total: 4256 4256
Igtv just needs a better looking layout, its not user friendly , doesnt make me want to look around like youtube does. the idea is actually great , especially for musicians that want to promote their music videos in their entirety without having to leave instagram and launch another app (youtube).

2 weeks ago '15        #12
JayJedi 3 heat pts
space
space
$571 | Props total: 1764 1764
 DrizzyStan06 said
Another social media platform always follows the slow death of the most popular one, and even then, it may be innacurate to say. Facebook still has a LOT of active users..

Unfortunately, social media will never die I think. Too much money to be made at the expense of peoples need for validation.
+2   

2 weeks ago '16        #13
postemupndunkit 4 heat pts
space
space
$6,061 | Props total: 20173 20173
If you ain't selling anything or networking you shouldn't be on that bi*ch anyways
+1   

2 weeks ago '06        #14
sj808 
space
space
space
$551 | Props total: 685 685
 DrizzyStan06 said
Ha.

1 week ago '18        #15
Ryo857 
space
space
$739 | Props total: 973 973
 DrizzyStan06 said
Snapchat**

1 week ago '09        #16
Fly or Die 48 heat pts48
space
space
$29,968 | Props total: 5821 5821
 Ryo857 said
Snapchat**
snapchat is already washed. they lost when they changed the layout, you know these hoes attention spans are too short to try to learn new things

plus rihanna and kylie jenner openly criticized them, it was a wrap after that. most of these hoes dont even post on snapchat anymore they migrated to ig stories

Last edited by Fly or Die; 12-08-2018 at 09:56 AM..
+2   

1 week ago '05        #17
Bigrel 7 heat pts
space
space
$827 | Props total: 498 498
 Madethagreat said
Itís stale bruh

I feel like social media may die out and everyone will enjoy outside again. Being realistic, all social media will probably down trend and and go all minimal with their interfaces. All this trying to cram extra sh*t on your screen ruins the experience. All this extra advertisement ruins it for everyone.
Wishful thinking but that sh*t will never die, as long as you have attention wh0ores (males included) thirsty for fame and attention. The players might change like if Facebook and Instagram fall off, but the game is here to stay.
+1   

1 week ago '07        #18
ptwist 50 heat pts50
space
space
$17,393 | Props total: 10559 10559
BX been saying sh*t like this for a near decade about Facebook.

Ya'll don't understand the genius of Mark Zuckerberg... literally the only mogul to figure out how to monetize social media and he was playing chess back in 2008-2009 by doing all he can to get his users up before he slowly implemented "sponsored" posts.

IG already washed Snapchat and is just a very profitable extension to FB. I'm impressed by Twitter though... I thought they would be wrapped up by now but they finally found their niche in breaking real time news.

1 week ago '17        #19
therunawayx 7 heat pts
space
space
$770 | Props total: 2857 2857
 ptwist said
BX been saying sh*t like this for a near decade about Facebook.

Ya'll don't understand the genius of Mark Zuckerberg... literally the only mogul to figure out how to monetize social media and he was playing chess back in 2008-2009 by doing all he can to get his users up before he slowly implemented "sponsored" posts.

IG already washed Snapchat and is just a very profitable extension to FB. I'm impressed by Twitter though... I thought they would be wrapped up by now but they finally found their niche in breaking real time news.
agreed. I'm interested to see how IG is going to respond to troll/memes pages. It might be their downfall

Troll culture is growing and I don't think IG is the type of platform that can balance trolling and legitimate business pages for a long period of time

Last edited by therunawayx; 12-10-2018 at 02:27 AM..

1 week ago '14        #20
Aries 94 heat pts94
space
space
$10,925 | Props total: 27458 27458
 All Star Flow said
I think there will always be a YouTube
YouTube is a Google platform so youre right, it will always be around.

1 week ago '13        #21
boopityboop 23 heat pts23
space
space
$8,322 | Props total: 5450 5450
 DatBrownDood said
Take away algorithm. Why the fu*k wonít they listen to us???
But then they wouldn't be able to control what you see. Where's the fun in that?

Home      

most viewed right now
+85online now  44
Image(s) inside Slim with a cake
62 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+42online now  30
Video inside Youíre Doing it Wrong... The REAL Double Wrench Method
30 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+21online now  19
Dec 17 - Donald Trump has fu-ked the stock market
125 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
+86online now  18
Video inside Package Thief vs. Glitter Bomb Trap
81 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  17
Red Dead Online's Biggest Problem Is Not That It Costs $600 To Buy Everything
77 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
-33online now  14
Image(s) inside Is this broad prettier than Rihanna?
53 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
online now  13
Video inside Tupacís Quad Studio Robber Dexter Isaac Says Pacs Man Stretch Set Him U..
210 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  9
NBA ESPN DISRESPECTS the LATE DRAZEN PETROVIC while talking on CARMELO ANTHONY..
37 comments
20 hours ago
@sports
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy