Trump supports old/new bill for prison reform--do Kim and Kanye deserve some credit?

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

4 months ago '18        #1
251 page views
10 comments

brooklynzfinest 6 heat pts
space
space
space
$2,166 | Props total: 6093 6093
Trump supports old/new bill for prison reform--do Kim and Kanye deserve some credit?

visit this link https://www.cnn.com/2018/ .. orm/index.html

Cliffnotes for those with short attention span:

The President also spoke about Alice Johnson, a first-time nonviolent drug offender whose sentence he commuted over the summer after the case was brought to his attention by reality television star Kim Kardashian.
"I'll never forget the scene of her coming out of prison after 21 years and greeting her family and everybody was crying. Her sons, her grandsons, everybody was crying and hugging and holding each other. It was a beautiful thing to see, it was a very tough situation," he said.
The new legislation would eliminate "stacking" provisions that result in offenders serving consecutive sentences for crimes committed using firearms; shorten mandatory minimum sentences, including reverting life imprisonment to a 25-year minimum for those convicted under the "three strikes" provision; and expand the "drug safety valve" to reduce the number of nonviolent drug offenders receiving mandatory minimum sentences.
Proponents of the bill made several changes to it to win backing from law enforcement groups, including excluding individuals convicted of some fentanyl-related offenses from accessing good time prison credits and a compromise provision to modestly expand the definition of a serious violent crime.
Now, I've bashed Kanye's whitehouse debacle on this forum before, but always maintained that if it helps even 1 person (like Kim with Alice Johnson), that I would applaud it, no matter how silly he made himself look. I'm truly bipartisan and while I'm liberal, I don't just vote democrat down the line. I'm prefacing because I know this will quickly divulge in a us VS them type of thread and it's important to note that this bill is a bipartisan effort. Also important to note that Bill Clinton was the one who passed the existing sh*tty policies in 1994 (to the democrats who automatically give their votes away).

And really there's no way to tell what impact Ye may have had, if any (which is why I'm asking your opinions). We can't "prove" anything, but it can be debated.

On one hand, this bill has been worked on since the Obama administration by a lot of the same folks pushing it today, so calling it a Trump victory would be wrong. Obama admin ,because they lost big in the primaries, got obstructed by the Mitch Mcconnells of the game on this sh*t and it didn't go anywhere. Fast forward and the dynamics of congress has shifted to democrats at least controlling the house now and things like this will be easier to pass. For those who say this is not enough, you're absolutely right. This ain't actually "prison reform"...it's a "sentencing reform." The move to make "prisons" into actual 'rehabilitation centers' is what we need...treatment, not cages that reinforce the behaviors that got them there. BUT it's appropriately called the FIRST STEP act because everything begins somewhere and any little bit helps some people out there.

Tbh, I really don't care about the Kanye aspect and just wanted to bring this to your attentions, but know that's probably what this will turn into and it's tangentially hip hop-related, so have at it...thoughts?
+1   

10 comments for "Trump supports old/new bill for prison reform--do Kim and Kanye deserve some credit?"

4 months ago '18        #2
oldfoot 3 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,294 | Props total: 3063 3063
my guess is it's because in the midterm elections last week florida voted that people with prior felony convictions can now vote in elections

believe it or not, that's 1.4 million ex cons in florida who can now vote in the 2020 presidential elections ... which pretty often get decided by a few thousand votes in florida

so he's out the blue courting voters

second distant factor is it's jared kushner's influence whose dad was incarcerated. he's been vocal about it

maybe kanye coming in third in that the polls are telling trump to stop alienating black americans if he wants to win the next election

i think kim kardashian is on his radar because he's all about tv reality show ratings but he doesn't give much weight to anything a female says

i know you know the schisms, op - but theyre never really gonna break down how the prisons got privatized, how so called minority schools are a pipeline to the prison system, how cia drugs and guns were funneled into communities, the sentencing stats along racial lines, and how it's all part of an unspoken war on the black male in amerikkka

like you say - kanye's influence or lack of not provable but def debatable
+5   

4 months ago '10        #3
DATKIDD121 48 heat pts48
space
space
$9,997 | Props total: 12737 12737
Good sh*t, regardless of the conspiracies

Shout out to Trump

1st this:

[video - click to view]

Now the reform.... Trump comin thru

4 months ago '17        #4
Class of 2017 13 heat pts13
space
space
space
$2,267 | Props total: 8953 8953
More pandering and manipulating from the our sociopathic president.

[pic - click to view]

@
+5   

4 months ago '18        #5
brooklynzfinest 6 heat pts OP
space
space
space
$2,166 | Props total: 6093 6093
 oldfoot said
my guess is it's because in the midterm elections last week florida voted that people with prior felony convictions can now vote in elections

believe it or not, that's 1.4 million ex cons in florida who can now vote in the 2020 presidential elections ... which pretty often get decided by a few thousand votes in florida

so he's out the blue courting voters

second distant factor is it's jared kushner's influence whose dad was incarcerated. he's been vocal about it

maybe kanye coming in third in that the polls are telling trump to stop alienating black americans if he wants to win the next election

i think kim kardashian is on his radar because he's all about tv reality show ratings but he doesn't give much weight to anything a female says

i know you know the schisms, op - but theyre never really gonna break down how the prisons got privatized, how so called minority schools are a pipeline to the prison system, how cia drugs and guns were funneled into communities, the sentencing stats along racial lines, and how it's all part of an unspoken war on the black male in amerikkka

like you say - kanye's influence or lack of not provable but def debatable
Word and we (at least some of us) knows that Trump will/would never go for true prison reform because prisons make too much money. They're doing the same sh*t as forever with exploiting cheap labor and making money for the corporations who construct the prisons, sell 'prison food,' etc...

sh*t is truly disgusting...
+2   

4 months ago '06        #6
Skateboard T 49 heat pts49
space
space
$25,027 | Props total: 38466 38466
Yeah Trump had little to nothing to do with this. The senate and the house operate independent of POTUS more than they ever have in our lifetime. This was introduced over 6 months ago by a bipartisan coalition of representatives. It’s been pending in the senate for a while, they were just waiting until after the midterms to vote on it.

Good for Trump supporting a liberal policy, but he’s done very little to effectuate this change. It’s essentially like hopping on the bandwagon of a winning team.

4 months ago '06        #7
thekidd 52 heat pts52
space
space
space
$1,608 | Props total: 1291 1291
Y’all too worried about who wrote/passed the bill instead of how it’ll change lives and the potential for more bipartisan bills going through. Business is business free the people!

4 months ago '05        #8
blah blah blah 96 heat pts96
space
space
$30,258 | Props total: 42238 42238
So we want criminals to do less time now?

4 months ago '06        #9
Skateboard T 49 heat pts49
space
space
$25,027 | Props total: 38466 38466
 thekidd said
Y’all too worried about who wrote/passed the bill instead of how it’ll change lives and the potential for more bipartisan bills going through. Business is business free the people!
You can do both. The two are not mutually exclusive. I can be happy somebody did a good thing while at the same time making sure the right people get credit for it.

4 months ago '07        #10
Bighempin of QM 15 heat pts15
space
space
$5,495 | Props total: 5106 5106
Nah give Obama credit cuz this was in part the same bill he couldn't pass due to the racism he faced from the GOP

4 months ago '04        #11
mikielee213 53 heat pts53
space
space
$12,406 | Props total: 20377 20377
 blah blah blah said
So we want criminals to do less time now?
Yea man that's exactly what this means........

+1   

Home      

most viewed right now
+73online now  41
How's a nigga supposed to stay p0rn free with these hoes
128 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
online now  40
Lance STEPHENSON TRENDING After Teanna Trump Say She fu*k HIM AT 16 While DWIG..
343 comments
18 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
-54online now  28
Image(s) inside Ciara files petition to change her son with Future name to Russell Wil..
230 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  27
Video inside ‘Vegan’ YouTube star forced to beg forgiveness after she was outed for ..
57 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy