Red Dead Redemption 2 looks and plays best on Xbox One X

view more...

most viewed right now
+20  90
71 comments @hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

3 weeks ago '09        #1
3727 page views
171 comments

Tiko377 1960 heat pts1960
space
space
$16,788 | Props total: 11717 11717
Red Dead Redemption 2 looks and plays best on Xbox One X

Every console version tested.

PlayStation 4 - and latterly, PS4 Pro - have taken centre-stage in Red Dead Redemption 2's pre-release marketing campaign, meaning we have a pretty decent idea of how Rockstar's latest epic presents on Sony hardware. Today, we can discuss the Xbox One versions of the game, and the key takeaway is this: if you're looking for the very best RDR2 experience, Xbox One X is the go-to platform for this game. Rockstar's stunning technological achievement runs at native 4K on the X, and also delivers the smoothest performance. Bearing in mind just how far Rockstar is pushing current-gen hardware, that's a stunning achievement.

With that said, while there are key differences between the four different console versions, the level of commonality in terms of the visual feature set is worth emphasising. Long-time Digital Foundry readers may remember that the original Red Dead Redemption saw a reduction in environment detail - specifically with foliage - on PlayStation 3, with Xbox 360 delivering richer landscapes. There are no such differences that we could spot with the sequel. Environments are equally as lush on all platforms, rendering effects are almost a complete match, while draw distances and pop-in are just as solid regardless of the machine you play it on.

However, the implementation of certain effects - shadow quality and the intensity of depth of field - is tied to rendering resolution, an aspect of the presentation that varies substantially between each version of the game. At the top of the stack sits Xbox One X, rendering natively on ultra HD displays and looking magnificent. Taking the runner-up position here is PlayStation 4 Pro, which uses a reconstruction technique - likely checkerboarding - to take a native 1920x2160 framebuffer up to 4K.

Muddying the waters here a touch is the temporal anti-aliasing solution, which seems to interfere with the quality of the reconstructed output, giving a double-width pixel effect that emphasises the original 1920x2160 image, and it is noticeable on a 4K display. While it can't be completely ruled out, we found no evidence at all of dynamic resolution scaling (DRS) on any of the console versions of the game - the pixel counts are locked. Take a look at the screenshot comparisons on this page, and the X advantage is undeniable.

As expected, pixel-counts on PlayStation 4 resolve at the de facto standard 1080p, while the Xbox One S - quantifiably the lowest quality experience - delivers just 864p. The effectiveness of Red Dead Redemption 2's temporal anti-aliasing scales in line with pixel-count so while PS4 passes muster, Xbox One S looks blurry and grainy, with a particular impact on the quality of foliage and shadow rendering - which is perhaps not surprising as Microsoft's machine is only managing 66 per cent of full HD resolution. By extension, the resolution scaling between Xbox One and X is unprecedented: the enhanced console is designed to quadruple the base machine's pixel-pushing output but instead, Red Dead Redemption 2 is delivering a 6.2x boost to resolution, with further improvements on top of that.

It's not just resolution that separates base and enhanced consoles - there's texture quality too. Install sizes are identical between standard and 4K machines (106GB on Xbox One, 98GB on PS4) but the more powerful consoles deploy higher resolution textures, mostly noticeable in characters and clothing. Curiously though, there isn't a dramatic improvement in general quality terms - on both base and enhanced systems, the art sits well within the intended resolution 'canvas' of each system. Despite the X console's big RAM advantage over its PlayStation equivalent, art quality seems to be the same.

Beyond that, and aside from variation in the implementation of ambient occlusion, it's all about performance - and it's here where Xbox One X surprises us still further. Despite its immediately apparent resolution advantage over PS4 Pro and its massive boost to pixel count over Xbox One S, the X also has a tangible performance advantage over every other version of the game. Red Dead Redemption 2 targets 30 frames per second, frame-pacing is consistent on all platforms, but there's a clear difference in performance in the game's busiest areas, with the enhanced consoles clearly running more smoothly. Once again, top of the pile is Xbox One X. Bar one cutscene that strangely runs slower on X than any other platform, Microsoft's enhanced machine delivers a nigh-on locked 30fps with only very minor dips in performance in the most detailed city areas.

PlayStation 4 Pro is the next most stable platform, delivering entirely consistent performance in the wilderness but again, dropping frames in towns and cities. However, it's clearly not as stable as the X. For example, there are frame-rate dips in Valentine - a smaller town - while the Microsoft machine is basically flawless. Meanwhile, the base consoles both perform well in the wilderness, but performance is more variable in urban areas with the densest areas hitting the low 20s on both base consoles. In these areas, the standard Xbox One seems to have a small advantage over the PlayStation 4, suggesting that we may be hitting CPU limits (where the Microsoft machine has a frequency advantage). This may also explain why Pro is smoother, and how X offers up the most consistent experience of the bunch.

MORE STORIES
Four days before launch, Red Dead Redemption 2 suffers its first gameplay leak
Four days before Red Dead Redemption 2 is due to launch officially, its first gameplay leak has hit the internet.A 23-se…
Overall, while Red Dead Redemption 2 scales with the capabilities of each console, there's the sense that the standard Xbox One under-delivers in resolution terms, suffering visually because of it - the TAA system thrives on resolution and there's the sense that there just isn't enough for it to work as effectively as it does on the other systems. Meanwhile, on the flipside, the more you look at what the X is delivering, the more remarkable it is. Generally speaking, Xbox One X has 3.3x the compute power of PlayStation 4 - but what you're getting is a 4x resolution boost and a near-locked 30fps where Sony's base machine can struggle in some scenarios. And despite the TAA effect, intricate detail is still resolved on X - and you definitely feel that you're getting value from your 4K display.

There's clear variation between the consoles then, but it is worth stressing the positive points - there's platform parity in terms of the vast majority of the rendering features, with no noticeable omissions on the base machines, which are divided only by resolution. While performance can be variable, I'd still say that the PS4 and Xbox One S still hand in more stable frame-rates than the original Red Dead Redemption, with fewer variations in the visual make-up than the last game too. But really, to see this phenomenal game at its absolute best, Xbox One X is the platform of choice - and by quite a considerable margin.

visit this link https://www.eurogamer.net .. ion-2-face-off

171 comments for "Red Dead Redemption 2 looks and plays best on Xbox One X"

Top 10 most propped recently  3 weeks ago '06        #2
realgunta 814 heat pts814
space
space
$25,446 | Props total: 40415 40415
ppl still worrying about this sorta thing, geeze

if u have a PS4, PS4 Slim, PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X......the game will look GREAT

stop worrying about unimportant sh*t

the margin of difference is small. I really wish more gamers nowadays would be concerned about important stuff like...GAMEPLAY, so that game companies would focus more on that
+60   

3 weeks ago '05        #3
TonyCartagena 
space
space
space
$6,515 | Props total: 27387 27387
L Box Owners Tryna Treat This Game As A Exclusive Somehow Cuz Of The Framerate
Reaching For Any Little W Yall Can Get Off A Game Thats Multiplat
Anything To Dust Off That Console With No Games But To My Real Gamers
Copped On The Playstation Pro
+9   

3 weeks ago '17        #4
Cant Read Shit 8 heat pts
space
space
$2,385 | Props total: 10501 10501
 TonyCartagena said
L Box Owners Tryna Treat This Game As A Exclusive Somehow Cuz Of The Framerate
Reaching For Any Little W Yall Can Get Off A Game Thats Multiplat
Anything To Dust Off That Console With No Games But To My Real Gamers
Copped On The Playstation Pro

first game they've had to play all year they're just a bit excited

that PS4 pro version looks the same, we're just used to these kinda graphics so it seems normal to us sh*t is new to them
+11   

3 weeks ago '14        #5
DavidAames 17 heat pts17
space
space
$10,018 | Props total: 9885 9885
This is hilarious...
+1   

3 weeks ago '11        #6
Tooly Da Gawd 30 heat pts30
space
space
$4,906 | Props total: 3830 3830
 realgunta said

if u have a PS4, PS4 Slim, PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X......the game will look AWFUL and play at a bad frame rate due to underpowered hardware that console peasants have allowed themselves to tolerate
fixed

3 weeks ago '17        #7
SPdaGOAT 13 heat pts13
space
space
$10,825 | Props total: 23491 23491
 realgunta said
ppl still worrying about this sorta thing, geeze

if u have a PS4, PS4 Slim, PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X......the game will look GREAT

stop worrying about unimportant sh*t

the margin of difference is small. I really wish more gamers nowadays would be concerned about important stuff like...GAMEPLAY, so that game companies would focus more on that
Talk to em Gun.

As someone who only had a PC when RDR came out, I wouldve been willing to play this on PS2 lmfao. All i need is good gameplay and narrative. Yall can trip over 8K and 4D water.
+10   

3 weeks ago '17        #8
SPdaGOAT 13 heat pts13
space
space
 Tooly Da Gawd said
fixed
Take a screenshot of how it looks on your PC bro
+4   

3 weeks ago '05        #9
jaedot 26 heat pts26
space
space
$4,805 | Props total: 7277 7277
Didnt read none of this thread Im sure theres some stanning going, but that sh*t was amazing the 7-9 minutes I played yesterday! Those deep blacks and bright reds on my Oled really stands out in this game

3 weeks ago '11        #10
space
space
 SPdaGOAT said
Take a screenshot of how it looks on your PC bro
All i gotta do is slap a few screenshots in here and we have the same experience

I can flip more than 30 slides a second though

[pic - click to view]

3 weeks ago '17        #11
SPdaGOAT 13 heat pts13
space
space
 Tooly Da Gawd said
All i gotta do is slap a few screenshots in here and we have the same experience

I can flip more than 30 slides a second though

[pic - click to view]

We busy playing Red Dead and this guy is busy preparing midterm projects for his public speaking class. I understand the salt homie. You can get a PS4 for like $100 tho, maybe you should sell your sewing machine
+14   

3 weeks ago '11        #12
space
space
 SPdaGOAT said

We busy playing Red Dead and this guy is busy preparing midterm projects for his public speaking class. I understand the salt homie. You can get a PS4 for like $100 tho, maybe you should sell your sewing machine
lol my water cooler cost more than your console, my fu*king mouse pad damn near cost as much as your console

you bragging about your corolla while I ride a Ferrari lol like thats cool and all but we really know whos winning

3 weeks ago '17        #13
SPdaGOAT 13 heat pts13
space
space
 Tooly Da Gawd said
lol my water cooler cost more than your console, my fu*king mouse pad damn near cost as much as your console

you bragging about your corolla while I ride a Ferrari lol like thats cool and all but we really know whos winning
Shouldve bought a console instead of a water cooler then you wouldnt be wasting your Friday morning berating a game you’re not even playing. Maybe you can insert your disc in there and get the realistic water you’re looking for
+10   

3 weeks ago '11        #14
space
space
 SPdaGOAT said
Shouldve bought a console instead of a water cooler then you wouldnt be wasting your Friday morning berating a game you’re not even playing. Maybe you can insert your disc in there and get the realistic water you’re looking for
do you think a water cooler mean I get better looking water graphics? Is that what you just said?

Yikes dude lol fu*k a red dead

3 weeks ago '17        #15
SPdaGOAT 13 heat pts13
space
space
 Tooly Da Gawd said
do you think a water cooler mean I get better looking water graphics? Is that what you just said?

Yikes dude lol fu*k a red dead
Lmfao damn bro this the best you got? Really?
+6   

3 weeks ago '11        #16
space
space
 SPdaGOAT said
Lmfao damn bro this the best you got? Really?
thats literally what you inferred though, you're mad uneducated

I'm over here aruging with a 12 year old who got his mom to buy him a console for his birthday

3 weeks ago '17        #17
SPdaGOAT 13 heat pts13
space
space
 Tooly Da Gawd said
thats literally what you inferred though, you're mad uneducated

I'm over here aruging with a 12 year old who got his mom to buy him a console for his birthday
You really took me saying maybe you can put a game in a water cooler literally lol. Think my work here is done. Stop fixating yourself on extra frames and acquire some common sense.
+5   

3 weeks ago '11        #18
space
space
 SPdaGOAT said
You really took me saying maybe you can put a game in a water cooler literally lol. Think my work here is done. Stop fixating yourself on extra frames and acquire some common sense.
its not just about frames moron, input lag is a huge deal

but 30 fps and lower is literally unplayable, you simply don't understand because you can't afford luxury

3 weeks ago '17        #19
1Oh 4 heat pts
space
space
$2,466 | Props total: 12781 12781
Whether you got a Scorpio or a Pro, the game is gonna look amazing regardless.

Still copped on the Scorpio tho for that native 4K and locked framerate.
+11   

3 weeks ago '17        #20
SPdaGOAT 13 heat pts13
space
space
 Tooly Da Gawd said
its not just about frames moron, input lag is a huge deal

but 30 fps and lower is literally unplayable, you simply don't understand because you can't afford luxury
Input lag is irrelevant in non-f!ghting games. I understand what you’re trying to say because I’m a gamer and have been all my life, hence why I have the luxury and the “non-luxury”

Tell me, how many frames you running Red Dead on? Now ask me which PC game you own that I can’t possibly own lmao.

Just buy a console already, we can tell you’re dying to play this game

3 weeks ago '17        #21
SPdaGOAT 13 heat pts13
space
space
 1Oh said
Whether you got a Scorpio or a Pro, the game is gonna look amazing regardless.

Still copped on the Scorpio tho for that native 4K and locked framerate.
Its gonna look better than it does on PC thats for sure
+3   

3 weeks ago '11        #22
space
space
 SPdaGOAT said
Input lag is irrelevant in non-f!ghting games. I understand what you’re trying to say because I’m a gamer and have been all my life, hence why I have the luxury and the “non-luxury”

Tell me, how many frames you running Red Dead on? Now ask me which PC game you own that I can’t possibly own lmao.

Just buy a console already, we can tell you’re dying to play this game
input lag is relevant EVERYWEHERE even in general web browsing i can feel the difference easily

I have both consoles, I'm not interested in red dead for more reasons than 30 fps, like the fact its a terrible game thats super fu*king boring and over hyped

3 weeks ago '17        #23
SPdaGOAT 13 heat pts13
space
space
 Tooly Da Gawd said
input lag is relevant EVERYWEHERE even in general web browsing i can feel the difference easily

I have both consoles, I'm not interested in red dead for more reasons than 30 fps, like the fact its a terrible game thats super fu*king boring and over hyped
Ok cool so just say how you really feel about a game you havent even played. Cause this whole oh it looks trash so it must be trash argument you were forming was hella trash.

And yea, I feel the same way about games I cant afford on launch day too
+1   

3 weeks ago '11        #24
space
space
 SPdaGOAT said
Ok cool so just say how you really feel about a game you havent even played. Cause this whole oh it looks trash so it must be trash argument you were forming was hella trash.

And yea, I feel the same way about games I cant afford on launch day too
you just keep making things up about who I am as a person lol instead of f!ghting my facts with your facts you realize you're completely out matched in this conversation and start speaking nonsense

3 weeks ago '17        #25
SPdaGOAT 13 heat pts13
space
space
 Tooly Da Gawd said
you just keep making things up about who I am as a person lol instead of f!ghting my facts with your facts you realize you're completely out matched in this conversation and start speaking nonsense
What facts have you said?

Home      

most viewed right now
-41online now  16
Image(s) inside Hot convert Lindsay Lohan looking better than ever !
24 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+125online now  10
Image(s) inside in...
84 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+115online now  10
Image(s) inside Young Freckled Face Busty Venezuelan
56 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+102online now  8
Image(s) inside These bi-ches About To Leave A Nigga Not Breathin Right
37 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
online now  7
Driver in Chinx Murder agrees to Snitch on Gunmen Qwality!!
61 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+30online now  7
What happened to Dei Loaf?
140 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+73online now  6
Image(s) inside Diddy's ex GF and baby momma Kim Porter DEAD