Genius Bar Quotes Teen $1,200 For Repair

view more...

most viewed right now
50 comments @wild'ish
most viewed right now
+39  29
19 comments @thotties

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Top 10 most propped recently  3 weeks ago '06        #1
3653 page views
61 comments

realgunta 814 heat pts814
space
space
$25,407 | Props total: 40059 40059
Genius Bar Quotes Teen $1,200 For Repair

+37   

61 comments for "Genius Bar Quotes Teen $1,200 For Repair"

3 weeks ago '05        #2
86'd 157 heat pts157
space
space
$18,851 | Props total: 13958 13958
love this guy, he knows his sh*t

he constantly exposes apple for their grimey practices and is making a way for change with the Right To Repair bill.

+35   

3 weeks ago '12        #3
daman729 27 heat pts27
space
space
$12,943 | Props total: 14625 14625
Good hearted dude who knows his craft!!

Computer repair is challenging work real talk. Especially the hardware/wiring aspect of it. Even those micro jobs where you have to zoom in and be very very precise. And its hard to find legit repairmen who can get the job done and not take advantage of you while doing it. Geek Squad, Apple, etc. This is exactly why its good to "know" people. Certain aspects of computer repair you cant just look up on youtube and do it. It has to be embedded in you. It takes years of trial and error. Everyone doesn't have the money to just buy new PCs and laptops. Props to this dude.

Last edited by daman729; 10-26-2018 at 03:03 PM..
+21   

3 weeks ago '16        #4
Rumble 1 heat pts
space
space
$385 | Props total: 2242 2242
Eh. This video kinda trash a little. The kid doesn't recall what the technician said verbatim, so it's very likely that he's misquoting the story. Something as simple as him adding "GPU" when a genius said "graphics related" gives this an entirely different context. I know he's misquoting the technician because Apple computers don't have motherboards, they have "logic boards" and an Apple fanboy employee wouldn't have made that mistake.

What most people don't understand is how the pricing works. Apple Stores have a flat-rate repair option for customers that is tiered based on what needs to be repaired. At the highest tier (imagine a run over computer, or a computer that was left outside during a rainstorm), the flat-rate is $1200 and replaces EVERYTHING in the computer and gives you a 90 warranty. A logic board is a a $600 part. A display is a $500 part. Labor is $150, flat rate. That's already $1200. If they quoted him 1200, its because they were trying to save him money. At the point that certain parts are damaged and the computer is out of warranty, it makes more sense to either buy a new computer (based on the age of your non-functioning one) or have them repair everything. The flat-rate repair is actually a great deal if you don't buy a base model computer. I've got a $4k laptop and it's nice to know that if the very worst happens I could take this to the Apple Store and get the same 4k laptop for 1200. But if you only spent $1300 on your computer, I get it.

I'll tell you this much - Apple technicians aren't how or why, just WHAT. They know how to identify problems, but aren't provided with comprehensive training on what causes these issues, just focused training on the most recurrent ones. So, the experience you get in the Apple Store largely varies on the individual you get - some people are in school for CS or IT or they have a background, or have a genuine interest in technology and do their own research, therefore are able to better communicate issues effectively as a result of it. Conversely, you might get a somebody who obviously is only there for the paycheck with no interest in technology or helping people, and that'll be reflected in your experience.

They have diagnostics tools that take all of the work out of their job - they literally plug the computer up, run tests and the tests tell them EXACTLY what needs to be repaired. In the off cases where you have an intermittent, unreproducible issue, that isn't caught by a test, the technician has TWO options.

1. Tell you honestly "I can't reproduce your problem, take it home and bring it back when you can make the problem happen or show me the problem" which customers HATE to hear and get combative about. So lots of technicians end up cornered into

2. Taking a computer in to replace a part they know isn't going to fix the problem because a customer either can't comprehend a 1 off software glitch or differentiate between software and hardware OR because they got a genius that told them how much it was going to cost up front and they pressed them for ANY alternatives - I.e. "Is there ANYTHING that's cheaper that could POSSIBLY work?" which allows the customer to leave hopeful and satisfied, but most importantly just LEAVE because Genius Bars are always fu*king SLAMMED.

Either way, like anywhere, it just depends on who you get.

3 weeks ago '15        #5
Flaming Meth 3 heat pts
space
space
$134 | Props total: 454 454
 Rumble said
Eh. This video kinda trash a little. The kid doesn't recall what the technician said verbatim, so it's very likely that he's misquoting the story. Something as simple as him adding "GPU" when a genius said "graphics related" gives this an entirely different context. I know he's misquoting the technician because Apple computers don't have motherboards, they have "logic boards" and an Apple fanboy employee wouldn't have made that mistake.

What most people don't understand is how the pricing works. Apple Stores have a flat-rate repair option for customers that is tiered based on what needs to be repaired. At the highest tier (imagine a run over computer, or a computer that was left outside during a rainstorm), the flat-rate is $1200 and replaces EVERYTHING in the computer and gives you a 90 warranty. A logic board is a a $600 part. A display is a $500 part. Labor is $150, flat rate. That's already $1200. If they quoted him 1200, its because they were trying to save him money. At the point that certain parts are damaged and the computer is out of warranty, it makes more sense to either buy a new computer (based on the age of your non-functioning one) or have them repair everything. The flat-rate repair is actually a great deal if you don't buy a base model computer. I've got a $4k laptop and it's nice to know that if the very worst happens I could take this to the Apple Store and get the same 4k laptop for 1200. But if you only spent $1300 on your computer, I get it.

I'll tell you this much - Apple technicians aren't how or why, just WHAT. They know how to identify problems, but aren't provided with comprehensive training on what causes these issues, just focused training on the most recurrent ones. So, the experience you get in the Apple Store largely varies on the individual you get - some people are in school for CS or IT or they have a background, or have a genuine interest in technology and do their own research, therefore are able to better communicate issues effectively as a result of it. Conversely, you might get a somebody who obviously is only there for the paycheck with no interest in technology or helping people, and that'll be reflected in your experience.

They have diagnostics tools that take all of the work out of their job - they literally plug the computer up, run tests and the tests tell them EXACTLY what needs to be repaired. In the off cases where you have an intermittent, unreproducible issue, that isn't caught by a test, the technician has TWO options.

1. Tell you honestly "I can't reproduce your problem, take it home and bring it back when you can make the problem happen or show me the problem" which customers HATE to hear and get combative about. So lots of technicians end up cornered into

2. Taking a computer in to replace a part they know isn't going to fix the problem because a customer either can't comprehend a 1 off software glitch or differentiate between software and hardware OR because they got a genius that told them how much it was going to cost up front and they pressed them for ANY alternatives - I.e. "Is there ANYTHING that's cheaper that could POSSIBLY work?" which allows the customer to leave hopeful and satisfied, but most importantly just LEAVE because Genius Bars are always fu*king SLAMMED.

spotted the apple tech

+53   

3 weeks ago '05        #6
86'd 157 heat pts157
space
space
$18,851 | Props total: 13958 13958
 Rumble said

[pic - click to view]

+49   

3 weeks ago '04        #7
CrAkKedOuT 1033 heat pts1033
space
space
space
$25,231 | Props total: 19337 19337
 Rumble said

4k on a laptop.....

Top 10 most slapped recently  3 weeks ago '15        #8
suavehooper 808 heat pts808
space
space
space
$10,343 | Props total: 32048 32048
 86'd said
love this guy, he knows his sh*t

he constantly exposes apple for their grimey practices and is making a way for change with the Right To Repair bill.

Apple is always scamming its customers

It's kind of sad when you think about it too, because they target the non-technical minded people with their products for the most part.

They basically prey on the people, they know they have the best chance of scamming

The technical minded people who buy their products know about their scamming ways, but still use their products for functionality and security reasons which I can respect though.
+8   

3 weeks ago '16        #9
Rumble 1 heat pts
space
space
$385 | Props total: 2242 2242
 Flaming Meth said
spotted the apple tech

Former.
+2   

3 weeks ago '05        #10
projectd06 2 heat pts
space
space
$6,620 | Props total: 9104 9104
 Rumble said

So in short, they dont actually know what they are doing?
+13   

3 weeks ago '16        #11
Killumination 
space
space
$20 | Props total: 39 39
 Rumble said

Eh. This post kinda trash a little.
+14   

3 weeks ago '04        #12
nwo504 32 heat pts32
space
space
$14,138 | Props total: 9922 9922
pay apple of find someone else to do it

3 weeks ago '09        #13
messy marv stan 4941 heat pts4941
space
space
$66,769 | Props total: 102611 102611
the apple reguime controls the process and parts for its products...sheep will continue to get scammed just because its apple...if the regime opened up0 the process imacs wouldnt need to cost $3000...slap away but that $3000 would buy 6 used windows laptops
+3   

3 weeks ago '13        #14
NY Knicka 21 heat pts21
space
space
$7,350 | Props total: 12645 12645
There is so much information on YouTube and the internet that you can fix your computer yourself.
+1   

3 weeks ago '10        #15
GBREEZE 275 heat pts275
space
space
$12,945 | Props total: 10652 10652
You Apple Stanley's lost eternally
+6   

3 weeks ago '04        #16
fat_boyy21 329 heat pts329
space
space
$9,989 | Props total: 4007 4007
I thought the iphone was better than the pixel cuz of some youtube speedtests tho

3 weeks ago '06        #17
Hit Em' Up 62 heat pts62
space
space
space
$5,466 | Props total: 2893 2893
 Rumble said
Eh. This video kinda trash a little. The kid doesn't recall what the technician said verbatim, so it's very likely that he's misquoting the story. Something as simple as him adding "GPU" when a genius said "graphics related" gives this an entirely different context. I know he's misquoting the technician...
This part I agreed with. Kid seemed a little iffy about the repair details from Apple. Only those of you with Apple products can tell me whether or not the sh*t he said sounds like Apple tech support.

Anyway the rest of your post was kinda trash. That 4k laptop of yours is equivalent to a 2k competitor laptop
+1   

3 weeks ago '04        #18
astrotrain 4 heat pts
space
space
$2,794 | Props total: 603 603
 suavehooper said
Apple is always scamming its customers

It's kind of sad when you think about it too, because they target the non-technical minded people with their products for the most part.

They basically prey on the people, they know they have the best chance of scamming

The technical minded people who buy their products know about their scamming ways, but still use their products for functionality and security reasons which I can respect though.
i own a macbook pro and an ipad pro. I bought them specifically as they ran certain design apps that didnt run on PC. On the one hand i love them and their connectivity and seamless integration with eachother but on the other hand i hate that they try and pull you all in into their ecosystem. I hate that i bought a laptop that cant be upgraded because they have soldered the parts to the logicboard. I hate that the ipad pro runs mobile apps and cant run full apps like the surface pro.
+2   

3 weeks ago '04        #19
jsmooth-117 14 heat pts14
space
space
space
$13,144 | Props total: 12235 12235
 Rumble said

I can't tell if you're trying to defend apple techs practices or agreeing with everyone's sentiment that Apple tech support is trash. Either way, it's clear this guy in the video knows his stuff and its inexcusable that Apple techs are not remotely comparable.

You mention Genius bars are slammed, so? Who gives a fu*k? People shouldn't be price gouged because genius bars 62,000 miles apart and are understaffed by untrained techs.

Now please don't get me wrong, I mean no disrespect to you in any way, but Apple's business practices are simply inexcusable and are of no fault of the employees.
+2   

3 weeks ago '04        #20
mr_underground|m 2083 heat pts2083
space
space
$24,004 | Props total: 33195 33195
 astrotrain said
i own a macbook pro and an ipad pro. I bought them specifically as they ran certain design apps that didnt run on PC. On the one hand i love them and their connectivity and seamless integration with eachother but on the other hand i hate that they try and pull you all in into their ecosystem. I hate that i bought a laptop that cant be upgraded because they have soldered the parts to the logicboard. I hate that the ipad pro runs mobile apps and cant run full apps like the surface pro.
i have to give props to apple and their ecosystem. its by far the easiest. they locked me in. i have an iphone, my kid has an iphone, we have apple music family, upgraded icloud, apple watch, airpods and i sure more stuff soon. its just easier to use, control and connect.

i had spotify but apple music works on apple watch without the phone so its better for working out and the family share is perfect for kids as they can have their own device and sub-account but i control the permission and share resources from the main. the system is set up to make you say 'fu*k it im getting apple everything'

surprisingly i like apple music better than spotify. i thought it would be comparable apple music playlist are much better. i have an ultra powerful post production PC with 16gb ram, intel xion, and getforce 1080ti but i still like using the mac better.

I have IT/marketing/advertising/multimedia production consulting company but the apple stuff just work and allow me to focus other things knowing the tech and multimedia is taken care of from all angles.

Last edited by mr_underground; 10-27-2018 at 10:16 AM..

3 weeks ago '17        #21
TeamBrinkz 
space
space
space
$81 | Props total: 64 64
buying apple products is not really geared towards computer people anyway, it's more of a fad/cool type of product. everything is grossly overpriced when you first buy it, of course the labor is going to be the same way, you are just begging to be ripped off and overpay buying anything apple. if you were tech savy at all and knew anything about computers/parts you'd never buy an apple to begin with. they are charging probably $100 over retail value on each individual part that goes into the computers.

apple mac pro 2,999, pc same exact parts $1500 or less.
+1   

3 weeks ago '17        #22
TeamBrinkz 
space
space
space
$81 | Props total: 64 64
 mr_underground said
i have to give props to apple and their ecosystem. its by far the easiest. they locked me in. i have an iphone, my kid has an iphone, we have apple music family, upgraded icloud, apple watch, airpods and i sure more stuff soon. its just easier to use, control and connect.

i had spotify but apple music works on apple watch without the phone so its better for working out and the family share is perfect for kids as they can have their own device and sub-account but i control the permission and share resources from the main. the system is set up to make you say 'fu*k it im getting apple everything'

surprisingly i like apple music better than spotify. i thought it would be comparable apple music playlist are much better. i have an ultra powerful post production PC with 16gb ram, intel xion, and getforce 1080ti but i still like using the mac better.

I have IT/marketing/advertising/multimedia production consulting company but the apple stuff just work and allow me to focus other things knowing the tech and multimedia is taken care of from all angles.
sounds like you work for apple or just love paying thousands of dollars extra so you don't have to create accounts for your family? lol

there is literally nothing I do with a windows computer, and non apple products that doesn't work, or connect. NOTHING. from gaming to graphics, to music/movies.

apple may work great with it's own products, but try buying different products and see how easily they stop working. of course something is going to easily work if it's all from the same company, it's set exactly to work with it's counterpart. but when you start using other things and playing games etc, apple stops working.
+1   

3 weeks ago '13        #23
SimpinAintEz 
space
space
$14,584 | Props total: 22452 22452
 GBREEZE said
You Apple Stanley's lost eternally
Anyone who stans for an electronics company that they don’t own lost eternally.
+2   

3 weeks ago '04        #24
mr_underground|m 2083 heat pts2083
space
space
$24,004 | Props total: 33195 33195
 TeamBrinkz said
sounds like you work for apple or just love paying thousands of dollars extra so you don't have to create accounts for your family? lol

there is literally nothing I do with a windows computer, and non apple products that doesn't work, or connect. NOTHING. from gaming to graphics, to music/movies.

apple may work great with it's own products, but try buying different products and see how easily they stop working. of course something is going to easily work if it's all from the same company, it's set exactly to work with it's counterpart. but when you start using other things and playing games etc, apple stops working.
thats why i keep the PC, that does most of the leg work. amazon, apple, microsoft and google all want you in their ecosystem to the max. i find it easier with apple. i have all virtual a.ssistants which is usually the entry point into an ecosystem and tried to go all in with the google one as thats the best but apple one was a smoother process. to many exclusive apps i use and would disrupt my flow to much

3 weeks ago '05        #25
ayoking 6 heat pts
space
space
space
$918 | Props total: 237 237
 Rumble said

your missing the whole point. APPLE Wants to control ALL ASPECTS in regard to their products. they want to control. They dont sell spare parts to try and fix yourself. Even something as replacing the battery yourself on the iphone can brick the phone when you update it.

Imagine if you bought a car and you could only get it repaired from the company you bought it from and even so when you get there instead they tell you just get a entire new car cause the cost of repair is gonna be same price as getting a new vehicle. Tesla is already starting to do that. These companies are getting ridiculous. Apple actually are trying to sue Louis Rossman the guy in the video helping people fix their computers
+3   

Home      

most viewed right now
+55online now  16
Video inside Pinky still flexible enough to buss it open
93 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+43online now  12
Image(s) inside Bruhhhhhhhhh
119 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+21online now  8
Image(s) inside Bebe Rexha vs Iggy Azalea
44 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+63online now  8
Video inside Rapper Who Threatened To Kill Boosie Son on Boosie IG Live Shot Dead A ..
264 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+45online now  6
NBA James Harden already poisoning Youth Basketball
54 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
online now  4
NBA NBA Exec Says Lebron James & Ingram Pair Is Not Working
119 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+53online now  4
Video inside The Tragic Story Of Kurt Angle
68 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+22online now  3
Video inside Brittany Renner puts Joe Budden on blast.
203 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy