Patrick Mahomes Camp Interception Fest

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section sports

3 years ago '04        #1
5698 page views
124 comments

NoLedge18720 
Props total: 16088 16 K  Slaps total: 2369 2 K
Patrick Mahomes Camp Interception Fest

ST. JOSEPH, Mo. -- Patrick Mahomes made a choice early in Wednesday's training camp practice that the Kansas City Chiefs' starting quarterback immediately regretted.

With the offense close to the goal line, Mahomes dropped to pass but had a running lane so wide he could have scored the touchdown himself. Mahomes instead threw into the end zone, where the pass was intercepted by reserve defensive back Leon McQuay.

"That was on me," Mahomes said. "I easily could have run in it. We were in a live period and I kind of didn't want to hear the defense talking trash to me for running it in because they can't tackle me [during practice]. So I threw the ball. ... You just have to play the game how it's supposed to be played [and] don't try to force something in because they can't tackle you. It's just something I have to learn from, and hopefully in a game I just run it in.

"That's the first thing I said when I came to the sideline: I could have run it. [The coaches] said, 'Then just do it. Don't train bad habits.' ... That was the play that needed to be made on that one."

It was a learning moment for Mahomes and a mistake he might not make again. But it's not the only mistake he has made in camp. He threw two other interceptions Wednesday and has seven in six camp practices. Six of the picks have come during the three practice sessions in pads, when play is most competitive.

"He had a few hiccups today," offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy said. "But that's a part of the process. When you're young you need those hiccups because they become valuable lessons. ... Would we like for him to be perfect? Yes. We'd like for him to have the highest quarterback rating ever. ... He just needs to be poised under pressure."

Mahomes -- who only played in one game last season as a rookie -- is also making his share of big plays at practice. On Wednesday he threw over the top to Tyreek Hill for a long touchdown pass.

But dealing with interceptions is something new for the Chiefs, who had the conservative Alex Smith as their quarterback for the last five seasons. Smith threw just five picks last season in 505 pass attempts.

Mahomes made another error Wednesday, once calling the wrong play in the huddle. As a result, his receivers were running routes he wasn't expecting and he threw an interception.

That's another mistake Smith rarely made, if ever.

"Being able to get in and out of the huddle, calling the right plays and then not making a bad play worse is something I've got to keep getting better at," Mahomes said.

"I have to eliminate those mistakes. It's something that can be described as a learning process. Hopefully I make those mistakes now and don't make them in the game."

Despite the six camp interceptions, Bieniemy said he's not seeing Mahomes repeat any of his mistakes. They're all the result, he said, of different factors.

He also said he's convinced Mahomes won't throw another interception when such a big running lane is available.

"He even said, 'I could have run it,'" Bieniemy said. "I said, 'Listen, they all count the same. Six points is six points. If you can run it, go get."

visit this link http://www.espn.com/nfl/s .. agued-mistakes

best
worst
124 comments

3 years ago '12        #2
AlBooBoo 
Props total: 94492 94 K  Slaps total: 15194 15 K
Thread title

3 years ago '08        #3
VerbalAssassin 
Props total: 15917 15 K  Slaps total: 1050 1 K
Week 3

3 years ago '17        #4
RastaMon 
Props total: 9087 9 K  Slaps total: 1096 1 K
Damn

3 years ago '18        #5
Sandyy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 59070 59 K  Slaps total: 11576 11 K
He throws a nice ball tho
+2   

3 years ago '17        #6
Tempus1 
Props total: 14465 14 K  Slaps total: 3361 3 K
People don’t believe in processes anymore. Let the man develop
+12   

3 years ago '10        #7
USC 
Props total: 27344 27 K  Slaps total: 2888 2 K
Well this thread is a guaranteed bump.
+34   

3 years ago '07        #8
capone3pbs  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 14504 14 K  Slaps total: 1469 1 K
That week 17 "meaningless" game really got you bothered huh
+2   

3 years ago '04        #9
NoLedge18720  OP
 Tempus1 said
People don’t believe in processes anymore. Let the man develop
This thread was only made for the Chiefs fans on here who have claimed he was going to be great this entire off-season because of a week 17 3pt win against Paxton Lynch I enjoy a good laugh

3 years ago '04        #10
NoLedge18720  OP
 capone3pbs said
That week 17 "meaningless" game really got you bothered huh
It was literally the first thing in the stories from camp on espn. Hard to miss it. In fact I stole their link for the thread title

3 years ago '04        #11
all3rd  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x24
Props total: 52861 52 K  Slaps total: 13863 13 K

sh*t can the preseason start
+3   

3 years ago '07        #12
 NoLedge18720 said
It was literally the first thing in the stories from camp on espn. Hard to miss it. In fact I stole their link for the thread title
Oh ok, thought u was out here just searching for some Chiefs news

I can see why you'd want to post it, being our rival and all. But I didn't see any post from ESPN on Mahomes being like 31-34 during his last live practice with one of those incompletes being an open drop. He's young, I expect him to have his bumps on the road to being a franchise qb. Just keep that same energy when he's doing well is all I ask
+2   

3 years ago '07        #13
 VerbalAssassin said
Week 3
I can't wait for the home opener... 9ers leaving with that L

But careful what you ask for

3 years ago '07        #14
pete jr 
Props total: 9184 9 K  Slaps total: 974 974
The QBs that depend on arm talent and athleticism always struggle early. Hopefully he can figure it out. Thought thy gave up on Alex Smith a year early

Last edited by pete jr; 08-01-2018 at 03:36 PM..

3 years ago '04        #15
NoLedge18720  OP
 capone3pbs said
Oh ok, thought u was out here just searching for some Chiefs news

I can see why you'd want to post it, being our rival and all. But I didn't see any post from ESPN on Mahomes being like 31-34 during his last live practice with one of those incompletes being an open drop. He's young, I expect him to have his bumps on the road to being a franchise qb. Just keep that same energy when he's doing well is all I ask
The article actually mentions he had good plays too. Yea it just popped up today under the NFL tab on espn.com. The thing today was actually a paragraph but it had a link to the article I posted.

And I'll keep the same energy as long as you don't disappear when the Broncos beat that a*s this year

Last edited by NoLedge18720; 08-01-2018 at 03:17 PM..

3 years ago '18        #16
Armstrong 102 
Props total: 8042 8 K  Slaps total: 2870 2 K
Lolol who counts picks in practice lolol 6 in 7 practice sessions lolol I’m dying it’s fuxkin practice that’s where you as a player will try to be extra and sh*t and not going 100 it’s practice

3 years ago '16        #17
TrillPeez  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 54174 54 K  Slaps total: 10105 10 K
 capone3pbs said

Ferrari Foster is back that game ain't he?

3 years ago '07        #18
KeepinItTrill 
Props total: 71184 71 K  Slaps total: 4558 4 K
 pete jr said
He QBs that delend on arm talent and athleticism always struggle early. Hopefully he can figure it out. Thought thy gave up on Alex Smith a year early
what?

3 years ago '11        #19
eliwood 
Props total: 27683 27 K  Slaps total: 1661 1 K
 KeepinItTrill said
what?
"The QBs that depend on arm talent and athleticism always struggle early."

That wasn't hard to decipher

3 years ago '08        #20
VerbalAssassin 
 capone3pbs said

Well, you're not using one of our former QBs for once so I'm truly intrigued as to how you'll actually fare with a QB y'all drafted for the first time since Microsoft Word debuted

3 years ago '16        #21
ahonui06  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x29
Props total: 137766 137 K  Slaps total: 30430 30 K
 capone3pbs said

49ers didn't ask for the Chiefs. NFL creates the schedule

3 years ago '08        #22
VerbalAssassin 
 TrillPeez said
Ferrari Foster is back that game ain't he?
Yep

3 years ago '04        #23
mac58  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 23798 23 K  Slaps total: 6282 6 K
fu*k outta here..people worried about 3 days into camp. .

get a fu*kin life. . .Massive Meat Mahomes about to run the game. .

+3   

3 years ago '14        #24
Los Pollos 
Props total: 19038 19 K  Slaps total: 9254 9 K
Aaron Rodgers is throwing a lot of picks too. It’s fu*king training camp.

3 years ago '07        #25
Boston 
Props total: 6070 6 K  Slaps total: 2112 2 K
I have a lot of faith in Mahomes. With that being said, chiefs are going nowhere anyways this year.
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
-75online now  46
Image(s) inside Young Dolph Buried with 50k in cash
136 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+93online now  32
Dec 1 - Oxford High School Shooter Identified