Jul 15 - What Should We Make of Katt Williams’ Emmy Nomination in the #MeToo Moment?

most viewed right now
+53  98
42 comments @thotties

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

8 months ago '05        #1
6652 page views
66 comments

phantomnation 3108 heat pts3108
space
space
$11,053 | Props total: 48144 48144
Jul 15 - What Should We Make of Katt Williams’ Emmy Nomination in the #MeToo Moment?

In the premiere of Atlanta’s second season, Katt Williams makes his first appearance on television in more than 10 years, appearing as Uncle Willy, or rather, the “Alligator Man.” When Earn (played by series creator Donald Glover) arrives at Uncle Willy’s house, the man we see is a far cry from the persona of Williams’ stand-up sets in the early 2000s, bouncing around the stage in flamboyant, brightly colored suits, his permed hair dripping in sweat, advising black people how to deal with their white friends and other essential bits of wisdom.

No, the Williams we meet on Atlanta is an angry man in a bathrobe with a cigarette in hand, arguing with his girlfriend, who he has trapped in their bedroom. As absurd as it sounds, Williams delivers a performance here that is as touching as it is bizarre, leaning into his comedic strengths to portray a man burdened by his own big ego, whose erratic behavior has pushed away his loved ones. (Did I mention he has a pet alligator, earning him the name?) It’s clear the character’s life took a path he didn’t expect, serving as a cautionary tale to Earn. The performance garnered Williams some rightful praise and, as of Thursday, his first Emmy nomination.

But on a closer look, there are some uncomfortable parallels between Uncle Willy and the actor who played him. In 2016, a young actress sued Williams for allegedly orchestrating a physical a*sault on her, a claim eventually settled out of court, just one of a string of violent incidents that Williams has been a*sociated with. That same year, he got in a f*ght with a teenage boy, which was caught on a video that made the rounds online, and surveillance footage of him slapping a Target employee also surfaced. Williams was arrested for throwing a salt shaker at a restaurant employee in Atlanta and arrested again on suspicion of battery for allegedly attacking a female employee of a restaurant in California.

The #MeToo movement has forced the industry to take another look at the powerful men who receive accolades even as they exercise that power by abusing the people—mostly the women—around them. And the resounding cry from some of the biggest names in Hollywood is that a change is needed. Williams is far from an industry heavy-hitter, but a role on a popular show like Atlanta brings him back into the cultural conversation in a different way, and the Emmy nomination is evidence of that. Does a strong performance earn an actor a pass from having to explain past bad behavior? I thought we had already answered that question with Kevin Spacey, who was dropped from House of Cards after Anthony Rapp and others accused him of s*xual misconduct, but apparently we have not.

So in the case of Williams and his Emmy nomination, who bears the responsibility for giving a man with such a troubled history a platform for acclaim? Is it on the Television Academy for actually giving him that recognition? Is it on the studio executives that put him up for consideration for the award? (Notably, CBS did not submit the Kevin Spacey-hosted Tony Awards for consideration, for obvious reasons.) Or is it on Atlanta’s creators and the casting directors, who chose someone with a history like Williams’ for the role in the first place?

There have been a lot of moves to hold men accountable in Hollywood, some symbolic, like the stars wearing all black in protest at the Golden Globes, and other more material ones, like the Time’s Up legal defense fund, which helps women who have experienced abuse, harassment, or retaliation in the workplace pay for legal representation. But not every man being accused is as powerful as someone like Harvey Weinstein, and not every alleged victim works in the industry. Where do we draw the line?

66 comments for "Jul 15 - What Should We Make of Katt Williams’ Emmy Nomination in the #MeToo Moment?"

8 months ago '15        #2
T-Money 22 heat pts22
space
space
$869 | Props total: 2775 2775
You shouldn't be denied accolades of industry performance because of nonrelated personal issues.

It's like selling 100 cars at your dealership and receiving a salesmanship award then have it stripped away because you and one of these unstable creatures get into it outside of work.

I don't doubt these stars get into some foul sh*t behind the scenes but an exceptional performance and body of work still stands as such and praise and accolades should be judged solely on that.

OJ still has his Heisman

Top 10 most propped recently  8 months ago '15        #3
2Cold 612 heat pts612
space
space
$39,463 | Props total: 171589 171589
fu*k i hate today’s climate..

unarmed black men get gunned down.

white serial k*llers get fed fast food before they go to jail.

superman says he’s scared to talk to females cause he doesnt know if they if they will false claim r*pe. proceeds to get destroyed online.

a man that has nothing to do with the #metoo gets caught up in it because he is an alcholic and has done harder drugs and was unstable for awhile

what the fu*k is going on in this world? there is something seriously wrong and i think it will only get worse

[pic - click to view]

Last edited by 2Cold; 07-15-2018 at 03:50 AM..

8 months ago '15        #4
40 acres 34 heat pts34
space
space
$3,393 | Props total: 7298 7298
So what is exactly the moral difference between the dude asking to get his d*ck suck by an actress for a deal? Versus the actress who accepts the deal and sucked the d*ck. She at that moment accepted the proposition in order to jump the competition. Further fueling those situations. Does she have a right to complain about the situation years later when her career is fading? Being painted as a victim. That pretty much makes her a hoe who regrets her life choices. She could have said no. That is one of the hypocritical holes in this movement, in my opinion. I am not talking r*pe situations by the way.

8 months ago '04        #5
realkilla3 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,979 | Props total: 10159 10159
What do these incidents have to do with people in power abusing that power tk get s*xual favors? Isn't that what me too is about? Not f*ghting teens and throwing salt shakers?

8 months ago '18        #6
TiredTim 
space
space
space
$182 | Props total: 346 346
Katt like 4’10. bi*ch, beat him up

8 months ago '17        #7
1Oh 7 heat pts
space
space
$3,327 | Props total: 17158 17158
A slippery slope they about tread on.

I wish this story would start to trend. These weird a*s fu*kers are gonna paint themselves into a box that eventually nobody will want to be in.

8 months ago '16        #8
BathWaterMelody 41 heat pts41
space
space
$6,876 | Props total: 25245 25245
didn't read OP but Alligator Man is GOAT lvl cameo sh*t.

8 months ago '10        #9
Big Louie Guwop 160 heat pts160
space
space
$14,857 | Props total: 19096 19096
fu*k these hoes

8 months ago '13        #10
North!!! 440 heat pts440
space
space
$59,776 | Props total: 50117 50117
 40 acres said
So what is exactly the moral difference between the dude asking to get his d*ck suck by an actress for a deal? Versus the actress who accepts the deal and sucked the d*ck. She at that moment accepted the proposition in order to jump the competition. Further fueling those situations. Does she have a right to complain about the situation years later when her career is fading? Being painted as a victim. That pretty much makes her a hoe who regrets her life choices. She could have said no. That is one of the hypocritical holes in this movement, in my opinion. I am not talking r*pe situations by the way.
agree wholeheartedly

But they'll throw the card

That if they don't comply they would have been blackballed or something or that nature

8 months ago '10        #11
marx1684 1 heat pts
space
space
$6,904 | Props total: 9734 9734
 realkilla3 said
What do these incidents have to do with people in power abusing that power tk get s*xual favors? Isn't that what me too is about? Not f*ghting teens and throwing salt shakers?
It's cool. Don't ask questions. I see them blowing their feet off w/bs like this is the next few years. There haven't been enough reprocussions for false accusers & it keeps happening. Then you have unrelated situations like this being grouped in.

Never believd a movement should've been called, "Me Too" in an age of known for social media followers known to follow damn near anything trendy. Folks already jump on anything trendy that makes money. Although many are right in their claims & have been negativity affected many will run & tell for a quick buck while they know they're lying. These cases only get shine when someone has a lot to lose.

8 months ago '14        #12
Tony318 32 heat pts32
space
space
$7,089 | Props total: 7994 7994
Yo I saw a gif of Katt running in the show, but I hadn't heard much about his role in the show, if dude getting an Emmy for his performance he def need to do more TV.

I need to get into the show tho I'm tripping

This sh*t here is classic

[video - click to view]

Last edited by Tony318; 07-15-2018 at 06:33 AM..

8 months ago '11        #13
Tony Franks 6 heat pts
space
space
$11,378 | Props total: 7477 7477
wow. someone need to spit in the mouth of the writer and editor of this trash.

Last edited by Tony Franks; 07-15-2018 at 02:15 PM..

8 months ago '11        #14
BaseWhitaker 
space
space
$4,965 | Props total: 8454 8454
 Tony318 said
Yo I saw a gif of Katt running in the show, but I hadn't heard much about his role in the show, if dude getting an Emmy for his performance he def need to do more TV. I need to get into the show tho I'm tripping
It's basically the Black Seinfeld. It's funny but very random and there's no real point to the show

8 months ago '04        #15
cuzjuan 16 heat pts16
space
space
$5,338 | Props total: 3329 3329
 phantomnation said

In the premiere of Atlanta’s second season, Katt Williams makes his first appearance on television in more than 10 years, appearing as Uncle Willy, or rather, the “Alligator Man.” When Earn (played by series creator Donald Glover) arrives at Uncle Willy’s house, the man we see is a far cry from the persona of Williams’ stand-up sets in the early 2000s, bouncing around the stage in flamboyant, brightly colored suits, his permed hair dripping in sweat, advising black people how to deal with their white friends and other essential bits of wisdom.

No, the Williams we meet on Atlanta is an angry man in a bathrobe with a cigarette in hand, arguing with his girlfriend, who he has trapped in their bedroom. As absurd as it sounds, Williams delivers a performance here that is as touching as it is bizarre, leaning into his comedic strengths to portray a man burdened by his own big ego, whose erratic behavior has pushed away his loved ones. (Did I mention he has a pet alligator, earning him the name?) It’s clear the character’s life took a path he didn’t expect, serving as a cautionary tale to Earn. The performance garnered Williams some rightful praise and, as of Thursday, his first Emmy nomination.

But on a closer look, there are some uncomfortable parallels between Uncle Willy and the actor who played him. In 2016, a young actress sued Williams for allegedly orchestrating a physical a*sault on her, a claim eventually settled out of court, just one of a string of violent incidents that Williams has been a*sociated with. That same year, he got in a f*ght with a teenage boy, which was caught on a video that made the rounds online, and surveillance footage of him slapping a Target employee also surfaced. Williams was arrested for throwing a salt shaker at a restaurant employee in Atlanta and arrested again on suspicion of battery for allegedly attacking a female employee of a restaurant in California.

The #MeToo movement has forced the industry to take another look at the powerful men who receive accolades even as they exercise that power by abusing the people—mostly the women—around them. And the resounding cry from some of the biggest names in Hollywood is that a change is needed. Williams is far from an industry heavy-hitter, but a role on a popular show like Atlanta brings him back into the cultural conversation in a different way, and the Emmy nomination is evidence of that. Does a strong performance earn an actor a pass from having to explain past bad behavior? I thought we had already answered that question with Kevin Spacey, who was dropped from House of Cards after Anthony Rapp and others accused him of s*xual misconduct, but apparently we have not.

So in the case of Williams and his Emmy nomination, who bears the responsibility for giving a man with such a troubled history a platform for acclaim? Is it on the Television Academy for actually giving him that recognition? Is it on the studio executives that put him up for consideration for the award? (Notably, CBS did not submit the Kevin Spacey-hosted Tony Awards for consideration, for obvious reasons.) Or is it on Atlanta’s creators and the casting directors, who chose someone with a history like Williams’ for the role in the first place?

There have been a lot of moves to hold men accountable in Hollywood, some symbolic, like the stars wearing all black in protest at the Golden Globes, and other more material ones, like the Time’s Up legal defense fund, which helps women who have experienced abuse, harassment, or retaliation in the workplace pay for legal representation. But not every man being accused is as powerful as someone like Harvey Weinstein, and not every alleged victim works in the industry. Where do we draw the line?
if this is to be taken as is, why isnt robert downey jr the fuk outta here then?

8 months ago '10        #16
dcumberlander90 
space
space
space
$19 | Props total: 19 19
honestly, you're the only one that brought this to life.

8 months ago '04        #17
zone3cp 4 heat pts
space
space
$6,688 | Props total: 25613 25613
Kat played that role way too easy...Natural ..A breeze for him. He’ll be on season 3.

8 months ago '15        #18
RiichDolla 
space
space
$55 | Props total: 143 143
 BaseWhitaker said
It's basically the Black Seinfeld. It's funny but very random and there's no real point to the show
Every episode has a point that ties into the theme of the season

8 months ago '10        #19
Flex Luger 320 heat pts320
space
space
$14,194 | Props total: 51810 51810
All these ups and downs, feels like I been knowing Katt for a lifetime.

8 months ago '16        #20
MrNobody 
space
space
space
$2,548 | Props total: 7834 7834
 North!!! said
agree wholeheartedly

But they'll throw the card

That if they don't comply they would have been blackballed or something or that nature

if the barometer of morality becomes the victim, we’ll see how this country really feels about those who except “offers” to get ahead.

a lot of sjw’s found x*x guilty as a human and deserving of death for his choices. him being a bl
[spoiler - click to view]

man and america’s willingness to ignore their circumstances to place the blame on them always eventually becomes the standard of treatment for everybody.

if our ppl are seen as unworthy of life after making mistakes whether it’s x*x or an unarmed black man catching an attitude and being k*lled for it at a traffic stop by cops, what u take as acceptable for us, others outside of our culture will eventually get caught up in the effects. that’s jus how intolerance works.

so here’s what i think would put a stop on the me too movement.

let it come out that one of your favorite rappers got #metoo’d. they did something for a nasty exec for promotion.

the one oppressed group told to be responsible for their actions and pull themselves up are brave men.

so is this movement about women or the oppressed? cause women by and large have more power than brave men.

so if it comes out that a successful gangsta rapper accepted the same kind of deal for success that many in prison accept for protection, will we keep that same energy?

or are we gonna really dive into why “bad” ppl make the choices they do? women often aren’t seen as accountable when they exchange s*x for security, because that’s how society has worked for the most part. we call it marriage.

but guess what? now that a lot of women are educated and don’t need to give their bodies away for security, are they happier being less married?

this situation has so many layers that it’s making me ramble, but i believe at its core it’s using economics to ignore and also create new issues no one really wants to address.

8 months ago '04        #21
jsmooth-117 14 heat pts14
space
space
space
$13,780 | Props total: 14686 14686
 TiredTim said
Katt like 4’10. bi*ch, beat him up

8 months ago '09        #22
TroyNY 2 heat pts
space
space
space
$3,676 | Props total: 4026 4026
Long as Trump in office the whole metoo movement is a failure

8 months ago '09        #23
Jacc Blacc 59 heat pts59
space
space
$26,687 | Props total: 11708 11708
for people to fix this movement you need men coming out oointing fingers at some high level chicks for s*xual harassmeent or abuse of power, once chicks start getting in tropuble all this he say she say sh*t will be dead

get a super important chick like glen close and watch how this sh*t crubmles

8 months ago '17        #24
2007 1 heat pts
space
space
$3,190 | Props total: 3199 3199
 T-Money said
You shouldn't be denied accolades of industry performance because of nonrelated personal issues.

It's like selling 100 cars at your dealership and receiving a salesmanship award then have it stripped away because you and one of these unstable creatures get into it outside of work.

I don't doubt these stars get into some foul sh*t behind the scenes but an exceptional performance and body of work still stands as such and praise and accolades should be judged solely on that.

OJ still has his Heisman
Thats how white people get u.

8 months ago '18        #25
S-Class 5 heat pts
space
space
$3,743 | Props total: 11611 11611
Wait Katt Williams got #metoo’d??

Home      

most viewed right now
+38online now  33
Image(s) inside You young punks don’t know nothing bout the originals #SpiceSampled
60 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+51online now  32
Video inside Gillie Tells Story About Birdman Ordering "Shrimp Lamborghini" At A Res..
100 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
-64online now  28
Image(s) inside Look how much Justin Bieber is enjoying his married life
149 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+20online now  13
Image(s) inside DJ Build a brawd