Jul 12 - Governor of Hawaii Vetoed Bill Allowing Cannabis for Opioid Addicts

most viewed right now
+46  40
94 comments @hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

8 months ago '09        #1
564 page views
17 comments

messy marv stan 5197 heat pts5197
space
space
$70,361 | Props total: 114316 114316
Jul 12 - Governor of Hawaii Vetoed Bill Allowing Cannabis for Opioid Addicts

super glue - afghani x northern lights

visit this link https://hightimes.com/new .. pioid-addicts/

Despite overwhelming support from lawmakers, Hawaii Gov. David Ige has vetoed a bill that would have allowed medical marijuana treatments for opioid and substance use disorders.

The veto comes six months after the Hawaii State Legislature introduced the SB 2407, which passed by a large majority in early May. But by late June, Gov. Ige had announced his intention to veto the legislation. And on Tuesday, he followed through, returning SB 2407 to lawmakers without approval.

Hawaii Gov. David Ige Rejects Bill That Would Let Opioid Users Treat Addiction With Medical Marijuana

Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York, already allow medical cannabis use to treat opioid and opiate addiction. And Hawaii was prepared to follow the three states’ lead.

The Hawaii State Legislature moved quickly to pass a bill that would allow people suffering from opioid use or addiction to use medical cannabis with a doctor’s recommendation.

After Gov. Ige announced his intention to veto the bill in late June, medical marijuana advocates and state lawmakers urged him to reconsider.

Congresswoman Colleen Hanabusa called the matter “a life or death issue” for Hawaiians. Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard echoed Hanabusa. “This legislation has the potential to save people’s lives in Hawaii,” she said.

There is an ongoing opioid epidemic across the United States. Overdose fatalities are the leading cause of death for people under 50.

But statistically, the opioid problem in Hawaii is less severe than in other places. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, opioid-related death rates were less than half the national rate in 2017, with 5.2 deaths per 100,000 persons.

Still, opioid-related overdose deaths are on the rise in Hawaii. And that’s the case even though Hawaii has one of the lowest prescribing rates of opioids in the country, according to NIDA

Experts Debate Whether Cannabis Can Really Curb Opioid Use

The question of whether medical cannabis is an effective treatment for opioid addiction or an effective replacement painkiller is still up for debate.

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, who represents Hawaii’s 2nd district, cited a 20 percent decrease in opioid abuse deaths and lower addictions rates in Pennsylvania and New Jersey as evidence of the effectiveness of medical cannabis to treat these issues.

Additionally, researchers at the University of Georgia recently published a study which found the availability of medical cannabis reduced opioid prescriptions.

According to the study, which used data from Medicare Part D, prescriptions filled for all opioids decreased by 3.7 million daily doses a year in states that opened medical marijuana dispensaries.

But a recent landmark study out of Australia suggests the opposite. There, researchers found that cannabis use did not produce better outcomes than opioids for people suffering from chronic pain. The study also concluded that medical cannabis did not reduce or replace opioid use.

Here’s Why Hawaii’s Governor Vetoed a Medical Marijuana Bill for Opioid Addiction

Whether or not medical cannabis can effectively treat opioid addiction and chronic pain doesn’t seem to have influenced Gov. Ige’s decision, however.

Instead, the Governor of Hawaii had a different reason for vetoing SB 2407.

Gov. Ige pointed out that the Department of Health in Hawaii already has a process in place to add new qualifying conditions for medical cannabis treatments.

That formal process is something patients and physicians can initiate annually. The evidence-based petition process allows caregivers and patients to apply to add new conditions, including opioid use and withdrawal symptoms.

Gov. Ige, a Democrat, has consistently been cautious about his state’s cannabis policy. He opposes the legalization of recreational cannabis, for example, on account of the ongoing federal ban.

His decision to veto SB 2407 indicates the governor isn’t willing to put in place any “shortcuts” to accessing medical cannabis.

Gov. Ige is seeking re-election. But his opponent, Congresswoman Colleen Hanabusa has come out strongly in favor of more progressive cannabis policy for Hawaiians

17 comments for "Jul 12 - Governor of Hawaii Vetoed Bill Allowing Cannabis for Opioid Addicts"

8 months ago '16        #2
BossTonMA 16 heat pts16
space
space
$8,884 | Props total: 26416 26416
 messy marv stan said

[pic - click to view]

super glue - afghani x northern lights

Despite overwhelming support from lawmakers, Hawaii Gov. David Ige has vetoed a bill that would have allowed medical marijuana treatments for opioid and substance use disorders.

The veto comes six months after the Hawaii State Legislature introduced the SB 2407, which passed by a large majority in early May. But by late June, Gov. Ige had announced his intention to veto the legislation. And on Tuesday, he followed through, returning SB 2407 to lawmakers without approval.

Hawaii Gov. David Ige Rejects Bill That Would Let Opioid Users Treat Addiction With Medical Marijuana

Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York, already allow medical cannabis use to treat opioid and opiate addiction. And Hawaii was prepared to follow the three states’ lead.

The Hawaii State Legislature moved quickly to pass a bill that would allow people suffering from opioid use or addiction to use medical cannabis with a doctor’s recommendation.

After Gov. Ige announced his intention to veto the bill in late June, medical marijuana advocates and state lawmakers urged him to reconsider.

Congresswoman Colleen Hanabusa called the matter “a life or death issue” for Hawaiians. Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard echoed Hanabusa. “This legislation has the potential to save people’s lives in Hawaii,” she said.

There is an ongoing opioid epidemic across the United States. Overdose fatalities are the leading cause of death for people under 50.

But statistically, the opioid problem in Hawaii is less severe than in other places. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, opioid-related death rates were less than half the national rate in 2017, with 5.2 deaths per 100,000 persons.

Still, opioid-related overdose deaths are on the rise in Hawaii. And that’s the case even though Hawaii has one of the lowest prescribing rates of opioids in the country, according to NIDA

Experts Debate Whether Cannabis Can Really Curb Opioid Use

The question of whether medical cannabis is an effective treatment for opioid addiction or an effective replacement painkiller is still up for debate.

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, who represents Hawaii’s 2nd district, cited a 20 percent decrease in opioid abuse deaths and lower addictions rates in Pennsylvania and New Jersey as evidence of the effectiveness of medical cannabis to treat these issues.

Additionally, researchers at the University of Georgia recently published a study which found the availability of medical cannabis reduced opioid prescriptions.

According to the study, which used data from Medicare Part D, prescriptions filled for all opioids decreased by 3.7 million daily doses a year in states that opened medical marijuana dispensaries.

But a recent landmark study out of Australia suggests the opposite. There, researchers found that cannabis use did not produce better outcomes than opioids for people suffering from chronic pain. The study also concluded that medical cannabis did not reduce or replace opioid use.
Rehab and war on drugs is a racket for them to make money. Sad that a natural product that really helps is not legal for this specific use everywhere.

8 months ago '05        #3
Ron Swanson 336 heat pts336
space
space
$42,085 | Props total: 54348 54348
 BossTonMA said
Rehab and war on drugs is a racket for them to make money. Sad that a natural product that really helps is not legal for this specific use everywhere.

What's really sad is if u got a jackass doc that is against weed (even in legal states) if u tell them u smoke pot some of them will put in your charts that you are a high risk patient and possible drug addict and that info follows patients around their whole lives and could prevent them from getting the proper care they might need in the future...its total bullsh*t

But if u choke down the synthetic heroin they give you, you will be ok... fu*kin BULLsh*t dude

8 months ago '09        #4
messy marv stan 5197 heat pts5197 OP
space
space
 Ron Swanson said
What's really sad is if u got a jackass doc that is against weed (even in legal states) if u tell them u smoke pot some of them will put in your charts that you are a high risk patient and possible drug addict and that info follows patients around their whole lives and could prevent them from getting the proper care they might need in the future...its total bullsh*t

But if u choke down the synthetic heroin they give you, you will be ok... fu*kin BULLsh*t dude

i never tell the doctor about weed since she dont need to know. she never pushes big pharma synthetic sh*t or anything. isnt it illegal for physicians to discuss marijuana use with their patients smh

BossTonMA said

yup. without the phony war on drugs the drug test and rehab mafias wouldnt exist. i see those rehab ads on tv all the time. followed by a tv ad for lyrica or some other bullsh*t

8 months ago '05        #5
space
space
 messy marv stan said
i never tell the doctor about weed since she dont need to know. she never pushes big pharma synthetic sh*t or anything. isnt it illegal for physicians to discuss marijuana use with their patients smh

yup. without the phony war on drugs the drug test and rehab mafias wouldnt exist. i see those rehab ads on tv all the time. followed by a tv ad for lyrica or some other bullsh*t

I've only talked about bud with docs I've trusted and they never brought up any concerns about it being illegal to talk about or anything... I've heard some docs can be straight up as*holes about it tho. Treat patients with less care and just consider them to be drug addicts, it's so stupid and such and outdated mindset

8 months ago '16        #6
smokeytheblunt2 5 heat pts
space
space
$8,774 | Props total: 20739 20739
 creamcorn said
So.... Pop pills and become fu*kin dope head....

Start shooting or smoking or snorting heroin...

And crying cause you can't get a prescription for weed to help with your dope problem???

Make better life choices people
I hate when people speak on sh*t that they know nothing about......

8 months ago '16        #7
space
space
 Ron Swanson said

That last part isnt entirely true......

Being a suboxone or methadone pateint is like having a medical scarlet letter.....

I fu*king HATE the medical community for the most part.....

8 months ago '11        #8
Tony Franks 6 heat pts
space
space
$11,388 | Props total: 7487 7487
 Ron Swanson said
I've only talked about bud with docs I've trusted and they never brought up any concerns about it being illegal to talk about or anything... I've heard some docs can be straight up as*holes about it tho. Treat patients with less care and just consider them to be drug addicts, it's so stupid and such and outdated mindset
I tell all my doctors about it. Only cuz i wanted them to know everything going on in order to give the best diagnosis. Also cuz im certain that they cannot legally discuss what u say with anyone.

Usually comes up during the smoker/non smoker? question. I say "no tobacco. just weed" And they say oh no, im only talking about tobacco "

Back when i was having chronic bronchitis i did have a doc tell me to "lay off the blunts" when i said i only smoke MJ, and i havent had an issue with that since i switched to RAWs.

Last edited by Tony Franks; 07-13-2018 at 10:13 AM..

8 months ago '05        #9
space
space
 smokeytheblunt2 said
That last part isnt entirely true......

Being a suboxone or methadone pateint is like having a medical scarlet letter.....

I fu*king HATE the medical community for the most part.....

Suboxone and Methadone are totally different substances than the standard pain k*llers given out for chronic pain or for severe short term pain... the half life of methadone n suboxone are much longer and they are not traditional opiates and yes can be looked at as kind of a scarlet letter the addict must wear just to survive... what I was saying was is there are doctors that are more comfortable giving out painkillers than having their patients smoking bud and sadly it's still true in some areas more than others... of course not all docs are bad and would never be ok knowing most of his pain patients ended up on addiction medications after being prescribed short term opiates for pain... there are wrong ways and right says to dispense pain meds and it needs to be watched closely

8 months ago '05        #10
space
space
 Tony Franks said
I tell all my doctors about it. Only cuz i wanted them to know everything going on in order to give the best diagnosis. Also cuz im certain that they cannot legally discuss what u say with anyone.

Usually comes up during the smoker/non smoker? question. I say "no tobacco. just weed" And they say oh no, im only talking about tobacco "

Back when i was having chronic bronchitis i did have a doc tell me to "lay off the blunts" when i said i only smoke MJ, and i havent had an issue with that since i switched to RAWs.

Weed has nothing to do with a diagnoses 9.9 times out of 10 so I don't even trip on it... if u got lung issues going on then yes by all means disclose the info but if it's a pain literally any where else in the body I wouldnt worry about it being caused by herb

My MD knows and that's good enough for me... nobody should be smoking blunts, but damn they are good lol I stopped years ago tho and just use water pieces now

8 months ago '07        #11
yolaboy 188 heat pts188
space
space
$5,483 | Props total: 11075 11075
David Ige is getting some Big Pharma money...

8 months ago '16        #12
space
space
 Ron Swanson said
Suboxone and Methadone are totally different substances than the standard pain k*llers given out for chronic pain or for severe short term pain... the half life of methadone n suboxone are much longer and they are not traditional opiates and yes can be looked at as kind of a scarlet letter the addict must wear just to survive... what I was saying was is there are doctors that are more comfortable giving out painkillers than having their patients smoking bud and sadly it's still true in some areas more than others... of course not all docs are bad and would never be ok knowing most of his pain patients ended up on addiction medications after being prescribed short term opiates for pain... there are wrong ways and right says to dispense pain meds and it needs to be watched closely
I totally misunderstood your first post, my bad.......

8 months ago '15        #13
gaapplewood 
space
space
$3,187 | Props total: 4082 4082

[pic - click to view]

8 months ago '05        #14
space
space
 smokeytheblunt2 said
I totally misunderstood your first post, my bad.......

All good bro, it's why I elaborated on it cause I figured that's what had happened

8 months ago '05        #15
dasill 12 heat pts12
space
space
$7,353 | Props total: 7176 7176
Absolute bullsh*t that you can vote on something and then the governor or another state agency can veto it or change the way it was written.

Here in oklahoma 788 was pretty nuch rewrote. Even though the people knew what they were voting for the oklahoma medical departmebt made it where you cant sell smokeable mj and you have to have a Pharmacist

8 months ago '09        #16
messy marv stan 5197 heat pts5197 OP
space
space
 Ron Swanson said

the only visit this year was to update info and for migraines in may

yolaboy said
David Ige is getting some Big Pharma money...

those campaign donor list sites aint worth a sh*t

they make accessing the info more frustrating than wnba finances

Home      

most viewed right now
online now  17
BOX Broner's Sexuality Officially In Question by the Rainbow Community
69 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
online now  17
Google Stadia
139 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
-126online now  8
She's built for S*x...Its all she has to offer
123 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
online now  5
Akademiks is so desperate that he is now championing YNW Melly knowing he guilty
31 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy