Jun 13 - $466K a year to wash trucks? :iseeyou5:

sponsored links

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 2 months ago '11        #1
8349 page views
145 comments

Sin 1597 heat pts1597
space
space
$23,919 | Props total: 62480 62480
Jun 13 - $466K a year to wash trucks? :iseeyou5:

ON THE WATERFRONT, there’s a longshoreman on the books who washes trucks.

He gets paid $465,981 a year. To wash trucks.

Fired when his bosses discovered he wasn’t actually showing up when he claimed to be working, he nevertheless regained his job—after an arbitrator concluded it was not unusual in the industry for employees to be paid “without being expected to work all the hours for which they are being paid.”

The Port of New York Harbor is the busiest on the East Coast and the third largest in the nation. From the marine terminals in Port Newark and Port Elizabeth—where hulking gantry cranes that wait to load and unload ships from all over the world stand sentinel—to the terminals in Bayonne, Staten Island and Brooklyn, more than 6.7 million cargo containers came through the sprawling seaport last year. Ships carrying everything from food and clothes to furniture, machinery and coffee make port every day.

But labor costs here are the highest in the nation, making consumer goods more expensive and the port less competitive, officials say.

Part of the reason for those high labor costs, claim waterfront regulators and federal prosecutors, include $117 million in lucrative pay packages that go to more than 400 longshoremen in New Jersey and New York, some of whom are never, ever officially off the clock, every day of the year.

The top 100 dockworkers alone at the marine terminals on both sides of the river each get more than $300,000 a year, according to salary data obtained through public records requests by NJ Advance Media.

One makes $516,996, based on an hourly rate that pays him 24 hours a day, seven days a week, through a formula of straight time, overtime, double-time, as well as weekend and holiday pay. Another, who works as a timekeeper, is paid every hour that any union member is working. He received $513,382 last year.

The pay scales are all set in the dockworker union's collective bargaining agreement. But in March, longshoreman Paul Moe Sr., who made $493,029 a year, was sentenced to 2 years in federal prison for submitting false timesheets. While he was also paid for every hour of the day, prosecutors with the U.S. Attorney’s office in Newark said he was required to at least be physically at the job at least 40 hours a week.

Investigators who followed him testified that he was often seen fishing on his boat in Atlantic Highlands, at the movies, at home or on vacation in Florida or Aruba when his timesheets indicated he was at work.

When a dockworker prepared to testify against him, a not-so-subtle message was left for him. A plastic rat was placed on his front porch, federal prosecutors disclosed in court.

Policing the waterfront
Earlier this year, New Jersey moved to k!ll the Waterfront Commission of New York Harbor, the bi-state enforcement agency created by New York and New Jersey more than 60 years ago to police much of what goes on at the port—including who gets to work on the docks. It was the Waterfront Commission that gathered the evidence in the case against Moe.

The state's Democratically controlled Legislature argued the agency was a relic of the past.

But two weeks ago, U.S. District Judge Susan Wigenton—citing the need to reform corrupt and discriminatory hiring practices in the port, and continued mob influence there—said “it is in the public interest for the commission to continue its investigatory and regulatory work.”

In court filings, the Waterfront Commission officials, who challenged New Jersey's action, said the need for oversight was hardly over. They said the International Longshoremen’s a.ssociation, the powerful labor union that holds sway over the port, “still exerts control over hiring in the port, that waterfront employers have been forced to hire those that the ILA wants hired, and that the prime positions on the waterfront are given to those individuals with connections to the mainly all-white union leadership.”

In an interview, Walter Arsenault, the commission’s executive director, charged that the union’s ranks are replete with high-paying no-show or low-show jobs. Many, he said, go to insiders, relatives and friends.

“Why do we have a port where special deals are made?” asked Arsenault, a former a.ssistant district attorney who once headed the Manhattan District Attorney’s elite special homicide unit. “That’s the question.”

'That's not a lot of money today...'
ILA officials declined comment. But during a 2010 hearing on hiring practices at the marine terminals, Harold Daggett, now president of the union, defended the salaries paid to his members.

"I wish all the members earned more than $400,000," said Daggett. "Forget about $400,000. That's not a lot of money today. These guys work their a.sses off out there."

Daggett himself makes more than $400,000. As president of the national union, he is paid $523,566, according to filings with the Department of Labor. As president emeritus of Local 1804 in New Jersey, he is paid another $156,781, for a total $680,347.

Working on the docks, though, can indeed be a dangerous job. In 2015, Judy Jones, 49, of Newark, was struck and k!lled by a fellow longshoreman while he was moving shipping containers around the docks at the APM Port Elizabeth terminal along Newark Bay. Later found to be drunk while operating a top loader, Victor M. Belo, of North Arlington was sentenced to three years in prison earlier this year for second-degree manslaughter. Earline Brundage, 47, of Phillipsburg, died in February 2012 after being pinned between two shipping containers at the Port Newark Container Terminal.

Those earning in excess of $300,000, however, are not typically the ones working on the docks, said Arsenault.

The ILA, through its spokesman, referred questions about its contract and salaries to the New York Shipping a.ssociation, which represents the marine terminal operators, stevedores and shipping companies that operate in New York and New Jersey—who do the hiring of the longshoremen under a collective bargaining agreement with the union. The industry group is currently in extension talks with the union and John Nardi, the a.ssociation’s president, also declined comment, citing the ongoing labor negotiations.

for full long a.ss read click the link
visit this link http://www.nj.com/news/in .. imes_mean.html
datguyjr and 18 others gave props

145 comments for "Jun 13 - $466K a year to wash trucks? :iseeyou5:"

2 months ago '10        #2
datguyjr 2 heat pts
space
space
$853 | Props total: 1332 1332
How do I apply?
HughyBaby and 57 others gave props

2 months ago '15        #3
The Flyin Lion 155 heat pts155
space
space
$5,052 | Props total: 10807 10807
 datguyjr said:
How do I apply?
Word I'm in a construction union and our pay comes out to $66/hr. I thought we were overPaid Jesus Christ
QuietPack and 29 others gave props

OutWitU and 4 others slapped this ish

2 months ago '08        #4
tdnupe3 11 heat pts11
space
space
$7,758 | Props total: 20950 20950
That's straight union and mafia action right there.
Sin and 66 others gave props

2 months ago '11        #5
Sin 1597 heat pts1597 OP
space
space
 The Flyin Lion said:
Word I'm in a construction union and our pay comes out to $66/hr. I thought we were overPaid Jesus Christ
 datguyjr said:
How do I apply?
Waterfront Commission of New York Harbor, the bi-state enforcement agency created by New York and New Jersey more than 60 years ago to police much of what goes on at the port—including who gets to work on the docks.
you gotta know somebody
jsilerio and 72 others gave props

Hakeem and 1 others slapped this ish

2 months ago '08        #6
tdnupe3 11 heat pts11
space
space
 The Flyin Lion said:
What part of the country, and which union. If you don't mind me asking. That's REALLY good, and much better than some of my friends in construction.

Even the HEAVY machine operators here aren't anywhere close to that type of pay scale. I think one of my boys makes around $35/hour, but that's not on every contract.
jeffery225 and 6 others gave props

2 months ago '16        #7
BossTonMA 15 heat pts15
space
space
$8,052 | Props total: 23356 23356
Sign me up.
cal classick gave props

2 months ago '16        #8
BobbiHeadRagTop 23 heat pts23
space
space
$4,303 | Props total: 17443 17443
Bet
LovaOfDaLadies and 2 others gave props

2 months ago '17        #9
HughyBaby 17 heat pts17
space
space
$9,295 | Props total: 40314 40314
Damn I need ins
cal classick gave props

2 months ago '15        #10
gaapplewood 
space
space
space
$2,899 | Props total: 3499 3499
Going to get on one day soon

Hard to get in, but good once you’re in
Bruce Leeroy and 1 others gave props

iTrianglelevel3 slapped this ish

2 months ago '11        #11
Sin 1597 heat pts1597 OP
space
space
 HughyBaby said:
Damn I need ins
im thinking about hitting up the bars around the docks to make some new friends
Boxden25 and 9 others gave props

2 months ago '08        #12
tdnupe3 11 heat pts11
space
space
 Sin said:
im thinking about hitting up the bars around the docks to make some new friends
You just have to get in the union. I don't know what the dues are, or if you have to have so many years experience, but as you can see, it's worth it.
Sin gave props

2 months ago '14        #13
Aries 82 heat pts82
space
space
$10,104 | Props total: 23047 23047
 tdnupe3 said:
You just have to get in the union. I don't know what the dues are, or if you have to have so many years experience, but as you can see, it's worth it.
Nah getting in the longshoreman union over here is like the hardest construction/labor union to get into...You got a better chance playing the lotto. They don't open up like the other unions at all... and as he said, you really gotta be family or close friends to get in.
tdnupe3 and 13 others gave props

2 months ago '06        #14
jeffery225 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,692 | Props total: 1329 1329
Man, I have 2 college degrees, an a.ssociate degree, and I don't even make nowhere close to that amount. Geez, I'm going to have to make a move back home to NYC.
dagreat1_87 and 6 others gave props

2 months ago '17        #15
Belize123 
space
space
$199 | Props total: 499 499
Unions were created to safeguard Jobs for white workers, after American slaves were freed and begun looking for employment. I wonder what color the Longshoremen are.

Last edited by Belize123; 06-13-2018 at 05:10 PM..
ArKane24 and 84 others gave props

RAZER slapped this ish

2 months ago '12        #16
The Consultant 371 heat pts371
space
space
$27,663 | Props total: 35298 35298
Bruh
consigliereA gave props

2 months ago '08        #17
tdnupe3 11 heat pts11
space
space
 Aries said:
Nah getting in the longshoreman union over here is like the hardest construction/labor union to get into...You got a better chance playing the lotto. They don't open up like the other unions at all... and as he said, you really gotta be family or close friends to get in.
I can see why. With them having this type of hustle. You could have your family straight for GENERATIONS. Daddy gets son in the union, who then eventually gets his son in the union.
Sin and 15 others gave props

2 months ago '15        #18
kami 22 heat pts22
space
space
$13,182 | Props total: 14780 14780
they dont hire n*ggas at construction sites you not getting in there.
TroyNY and 33 others gave props

2 months ago '05        #19
HARBINGER 451 heat pts451
space
space
$50,695 | Props total: 9506 9506
No thanks. I'd rather be my own boss. Don't be a slave to money.. or society for that matter.
ShakeyDog and 10 others gave props

Sandyy and 13 others slapped this ish

2 months ago '11        #20
Sin 1597 heat pts1597 OP
space
space
 Belize123 said:
Unions were created to safeguard Jo's for white workers, after American slaves were freed and begun looking for employment. I wonder what color the Longshoremen are.

i sent this article to two cousins who are longshoremen in VA one said crane operators don't even make $46K in his area
The Dudeness and 2 others gave props

Home      

sponsored links

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Now, I ain't sayin' she a gold digger... But she ain't messin' with no..
15 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside @himynamesteee is Pretty As Fvck
80 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
who is she?
63 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
fu-k Benadryl
9 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
What was the better album.... Invasion of Privacy or #Queen
30 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Young Thug Announces Slime Language Drops Aug. 14th (Official Discussion Thread)
44 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Aug 14 - Lyric McHenry, pregnant internet star, found dead at 26 with ..
120 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Puma x Coogi - Y'all Copping?
42 comments
2 days ago
@gear
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy