Here’s why people go crazy for the NES Classic Edition

sponsored links

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 3 months ago '17        #1
3342 page views
52 comments

Enigmatic1 342 heat pts342
space
space
$2,625 | Props total: 12456 12456
Here’s why people go crazy for the NES Classic Edition

Even if you follow gaming news casually, you’ve probably heard that Nintendo will restock the NES Classic Edition next month and keep it in stock for the rest of 2018. Last year, the NES Classic Edition quickly turned into a hard-to-find sensation, and Nintendo caught a lot of heat for ending its production run well before everyone who wanted one was able to buy one. So, what’s the big deal? Why are people so obsessed with getting their hands on this thing?

First and foremost, there’s a strong feeling of nostalgia driving the hype behind the NES Classic Edition. The mini console serves up 30 classic NES games, with a lot of big names on the roster. Have a look at the list of all of the titles that come pre-installed on the NES Classic Edition:

Balloon f!ght
Bubble Bobble
Castlevania
Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Double Dragon II: The Revenge
Dr. Mario
Excitebike
Final Fantasy
Galaga
Ghosts’ N Ghoblins
Gradius
Ice Climber
Kid Icarus
Kirby’s Adventure
Mario Bros
Mega Man 2
Metroid
Ninja Gaiden
Pac-Man
Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
StarTropics
SUPER C
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Tecmo Bowl
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Some of those games are underwhelming (looking at you, Simon’s Quest), but most of them are among the best of what the NES had to offer. Castlevania, Super Mario Bros, Ninja Gaiden, Metroid, Final Fantasy, Kirby’s Adventure, and The Legend of Zelda all spawned massive franchises that are still going today, so for a lot of people, the NES Classic Edition is great way to revisit games they used to play and love as children in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

It isn’t all just nostalgia, though. Another reason why the NES Classic Edition took off is because it’s the first time Nintendo has released an official retro console. Retro consoles are nothing new, but most of the time, the ones we see are themed around classic Atari or Sega consoles. Before the NES Classic, we didn’t have any options for Nintendo-themed retro consoles (at least not officially), making this a pretty big deal among Nintendo fans.

Some people who have used an emulator to play ROMs of classic games have been left scratching their heads in response to the ridiculous amount of excitement the NES Classic Edition has generated. Indeed, those people frequently bring up the Raspberry Pi as a cheaper and more flexible alternative to the NES Classic, and though they have a point, it’s important to remember that the NES Classic offers hassle-free emulation to mainstream users. There are no ROMs to download, no emulator settings to configure, no controller compatibility to figure out – the NES Classic just works, and it offers features we’re used to seeing in most emulators these days.

For instance, each game on the NES Classic supports four different save states that can be locked to prevent other players from overwriting them. All of the titles are displayed on an great looking and easy-to-navigate menu, and each game has been optimized to look good on modern TVs. If you’ve tried to play an NES or any other console from that era on an HD TV, you know that’s a big deal. If, however, you long for the good old days, you can enable scanline and CRT filters for each game included on the NES.

Finally, the thing just looks cool. Modeled after the original NES but shrunk down to a size that can fit in your hand, the NES Classic Edition definitely wins points for its design. In fact, for anyone who grew up when the NES was the king of the gaming world, it’s hard not to love the NES Classic for its looks alone.

So, while it might be tempting to dismiss the popularity of the NES Classic as just another fad, there are a lot of reasons to like it. With all of this in mind, we can probably expect the NES Classic to be another popular seller once Nintendo brings it back to store shelves next month. The relaunch happens on June 29, so if you’re hoping to snag one for yourself, good luck!

visit this link Yes, SNES Classic controllers work with the NES Classic (and vice versa)
hot topic and 12 others gave props

cluckaluck and 1 others slapped this ish

52 comments for "Here’s why people go crazy for the NES Classic Edition"
 3 months ago '05        #2
WestbankThugBoy 23 heat pts23
space
space
$14,210 | Props total: 3631 3631
inb4igotallthisplusmorewithraspberrypi

redcodeinesyrup and 38 others gave props

Storchaveli and 1 others slapped this ish

3 months ago '04        #3
LovinPavan 
space
space
$5,842 | Props total: 1531 1531
so, wait: can it play cartridges or no?
Flatbush85 and 2 others slapped this ish

3 months ago '04        #4
jewelz1132 5 heat pts
space
space
$13,381 | Props total: 3048 3048
 LovinPavan said:
so, wait: can it play cartridges or no?
nah, man. NES Classic is a lot smaller than a NES cartridge.
HMAC22 gave props

3 months ago '16        #5
Knucklez 2 heat pts
space
space
space
$6,697 | Props total: 13817 13817
i got this plus more wit a raspberry pi
2Cold and 33 others gave props

WestbankThugBoy and 3 others slapped this ish

3 months ago '05        #6
JimDinO77 16 heat pts16
space
space
$23,763 | Props total: 6842 6842
Some people who have used an emulator to play ROMs of classic games have been left scratching their heads in response to the ridiculous amount of excitement the NES Classic Edition has generated. Indeed, those people frequently bring up the Raspberry Pi as a cheaper and more flexible alternative to the NES Classic, and though they have a point, it’s important to remember that the NES Classic offers hassle-free emulation to mainstream users. There are no ROMs to download, no emulator settings to configure, no controller compatibility to figure out – the NES Classic just works, and it offers features we’re used to seeing in most emulators these days
The price tag isn’t a good trade off for the “hassle” of downloading roms
YOURKINGB4EVER and 6 others gave props

3 months ago '06        #7
"SS" 29 heat pts29
space
space
$10,764 | Props total: 6845 6845
Bought the snes classic because i missed out on the nes classic. It was fun for about a weekend. Modded it and it was fun for another week. Just collects dust now...guess I'll cop this if i can this go round so it can collect dust next to its brother

Last edited by "SS"; 05-15-2018 at 12:40 PM..
P Glizzy and 7 others gave props

3 months ago '04        #8
NaMeLeSs- 84 heat pts84
space
space
$9,668 | Props total: 4303 4303
This time I will not fail.
RIAA and 1 others gave props

3 months ago '12        #9
gunshot225 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,594 | Props total: 4783 4783
Did they make wireless controllers for it yet?
slim_d20 and 3 others gave props

3 months ago '04        #10
Tic Toc 7 heat pts
space
space
$6,661 | Props total: 2217 2217
they took Mike Tyson's name off punchout???
 3 months ago '04        #11
patt24 53 heat pts53
space
space
$7,788 | Props total: 3872 3872
it needs contra
P Glizzy and 3 others gave props

3 months ago '16        #12
untouchabledj 
space
space
space
$15 | Props total: 26 26

Raspberry Pi with Retro Pie I have over 4k games from Atari - Game boy - Game boy color - SNES - NES - Sega...etc

Costs me less than $150 with a bomb a.ss SNES wireless controller and SNES case. Super easy to build....

Once you have your dream setup make an ISO file so you can just import the ISO file onto any other SD card and you can be pumping out a bunch of these in no time. Right now I could build anyone my system with over 4k games in less than 10 minutes (how long it takes to write to the SD Card). You can even make custom boot screens when the unit boots up.

Last edited by untouchabledj; 05-15-2018 at 11:10 AM..
P Glizzy and 14 others gave props

3 months ago '16        #13
P Glizzy 
space
space
$1,533 | Props total: 7188 7188
 untouchabledj said:

Raspberry Pi with Retro Pie I have over 4k games from Atari - Game boy - Game boy color - SNES - NES - Sega...etc

Costs me less than $150 with a bomb a.ss SNES wireless controller and SNES case. Super easy to build....

Once you have your dream setup make an ISO file so you can just import the ISO file onto any other SD card and you can be pumping out a bunch of these in no time. Right now I could build anyone my system with over 4k games in less than 10 minutes (how long it takes to write to the SD Card). You can even make custom boot screens when the unit boots up.
Sounds kinda fresh, you got any links or pics?
untouchabledj and 2 others gave props

3 months ago '16        #14
OgieOgilthorpe6 
space
space
space
$4,874 | Props total: 2847 2847
 JimDinO77 said:
The price tag isn’t a good trade off for the “hassle” of downloading roms
its 100 bucks though, seems like a good price to me, i have an emulator and still opted to buy the snes classic, my girl doesnt wanna fu*k with emulators, this sh*t for the casuals. Also the real snes controller is much better then anything you gonna plug into your comp
 3 months ago '16        #15
Knucklez 2 heat pts
space
space
space
$6,697 | Props total: 13817 13817
 Tic Toc said:
they took Mike Tyson's name off punchout???
you late fam

Punch-Out!!
After Nintendo's license to use Mike Tyson as a special Punch-Out!! character expired, it replaced Tyson with a fictional character called Mr. Dream and re-released the game for the NES as simply Punch-Out!! in limited quantities in North America in August 1990[6] and in Europe in 1991.[7]

Despite its short run as a NES cartridge, this is the version used in all Virtual Console releases, Animal Crossing as well as the NES Classic Edition compilation.

[pic - click to view]

Tic Toc and 2 others gave props

3 months ago '05        #16
JimDinO77 16 heat pts16
space
space
$23,763 | Props total: 6842 6842
 OgieOgilthorpe6 said:
its 100 bucks though, seems like a good price to me, i have an emulator and still opted to buy the snes classic, my girl doesnt wanna fu*k with emulators, this sh*t for the casuals. Also the real snes controller is much better then anything you gonna plug into your comp
Not really tho.... you can buy NES or SNES controllers with USBs.... and 100 bucks for 30 games when you can have the entire library for free with just a little tech work...

Like you said, its for casuals.... and those that want a nostalgic designed shell
OgieOgilthorpe6 and 2 others gave props

3 months ago '16        #17
OgieOgilthorpe6 
space
space
space
$4,874 | Props total: 2847 2847
 JimDinO77 said:
Not really tho.... you can buy NES or SNES controllers with USBs.... and 100 bucks for 30 games when you can have the entire library for free with just a little tech work...

Like you said, its for casuals.... and those that want a nostalgic designed shell
well anybody who is tech savvy enough to get an emulator working properly can buy one of these and load on a program that some guy designed for the nes classic, but made a version for snes as well, anyway it allows the system to be used as an emulator itself, so you are essentially jailbreaking the system so you can load every game onto it. I wouldnt pay much more then the 100 price tag but i thought it was a fair price.
JimDinO77 gave props

3 months ago '10        #18
bunun 2 heat pts
space
space
$698 | Props total: 1594 1594
ummm no, people go crazy for the nes cause resellers buy up all of them making them hard to find, inflating perception that there is demand
jdogg562 and 4 others gave props

3 months ago '17        #19
Ifeellikekobe 70 heat pts70
space
space
$5,132 | Props total: 22065 22065
I still want one. I just didnt want to put up with any bullsh*t to get it the first time.
 3 months ago '11        #20
sbrown1 5 heat pts
space
space
$2,417 | Props total: 1001 1001
i got the snes on release day last year, still play it, modded it to the max
Home      

top in section
59 comments
top in hiphop
top in section
6 comments
top in wild'ish
most viewed right now
67 comments
top in thotties

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Toooooo thick????
69 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside What income percentile are you for your age?
224 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Iraq got their own version of Amber Rose, and she BAAAAAAAD!
59 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Tiffany Haddish Exposed
139 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Angela Yee gets one of her dogs stolen
126 comments
2 days ago