Apr 15 - Calls Grow to Boycott Starbucks After Bogus Arrest of Philadelphia Black Men

most viewed right now
+18  93
20 comments @thotties

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

8 months ago '06        #1
6981 page views
187 comments

RAZAH CUTS 6360 heat pts6360
space
space
$57,833 | Props total: 30762 30762
Apr 15 - Calls Grow to Boycott Starbucks After Bogus Arrest of Philadelphia Black Men

Calls are growing for a boycott of the Starbucks coffee shop chain after police were filmed arresting two black men waiting for a friend in a branch in Philadelphia.

Under the #BoycottStarbucks hastag on Twitter, people accused the chain’s employees of racially profiling the men, and criticised police for arresting them when they refused to leave.

Late Saturday, Starbucks CEO Kevin Johnson apologised for the incident. He promised a thorough investigation of the incident caught on the now-viral video by a patron.

The men were accused of trespassing, but have said they were simply waiting for a friend before ordering.

“The video shot by customers is very hard to watch and the actions in it are not representative of our Starbucks mission and values,” Johnson said in a statement. He added, “The basis for the call to the Philadelphia police department was wrong.”

Philadelphia’s police commissioner on Saturday defended the arrest, saying his officers had to act after Starbucks employees told them the pair were trespassing.

Video of Thursday’s incident showed other patrons telling officers the pair were doing nothing wrong and appeared to have been targeted merely because of their race.

Police Commissioner Richard Ross said he knew the incident had prompted a lot of concern, but said his officers “did absolutely nothing wrong.”

In a video statement, Ross said store employees called 911 to report a disturbance and trespassing.

When officers arrived, Ross said, staff told them the two men had wanted to use the restroom but were informed it was only for paying customers. The pair repeatedly refused to leave when politely asked to do so by the employees and officers, he said.

“If you think about it logically, that if a business calls and they say that someone is here that I no longer wish to be in my business, they (the officers) now have a legal obligation to carry out their duties. And they did just that,” Ross said.

“They were professional in all their dealings with these gentlemen, and instead they got the opposite back.”

Ross said that as an African-American man he was acutely aware of implicit bias. “We are committed to fair and unbiased policing and anything less than that will not be tolerated in this department,” he said.

The two men were released, Ross said, after officers learned Starbucks was “no longer interested” in prosecuting them.

In a post on Twitter earlier on Saturday, Starbucks Corp said it was sorry for what took place.

Johnson added his apology, saying the company would review its policies and “further train our partners to better know when police a.ssistance is warranted.”

Melissa DePino, an author who posted the video of the arrest, said staff called police because the two men had not ordered anything while waiting for a friend. She said white customers were “wondering why it’s never happened to us when we do the same thing.”

Police departments across the United States have come under criticism for repeated instances of k!lling unarmed black men in recent years, which activists blame on racial biases in the criminal justice system.

visit this link https://www.alternet.org/ .. phia-black-men

187 comments for "Apr 15 - Calls Grow to Boycott Starbucks After Bogus Arrest of Philadelphia Black Men"

8 months ago '17        #2
CJ Schwarz 69 heat pts69
space
space
$2,975 | Props total: 14375 14375
Why not a sit-in at that particular Starbucks?

8 months ago '12        #3
OldBusiness 172 heat pts172
space
space
$27,027 | Props total: 41237 41237
Get ready for other Americans to come in this thread hating Americans for exercising their right to protest.

8 months ago '16        #4
foshoVoodoo 228 heat pts228
space
space
$14,092 | Props total: 33431 33431
bye bye kimodo dragon expressos

8 months ago '05        #5
Woodwin 3 heat pts
space
space
$6,781 | Props total: 4289 4289
White people not giving up No damn Starbucks

8 months ago '17        #6
arms 17 heat pts17
space
space
$1,254 | Props total: 5753 5753
 CJ Schwarz said
Why not a sit-in at that particular Starbucks?

[video - click to view]

8 months ago '07        #7
stogz 19 heat pts19
space
space
$45,868 | Props total: 52322 52322
no more starbucks for me.... although, i didn't drink it that much.

8 months ago '17        #8
hiphop4ever 24 heat pts24
space
space
space
$914 | Props total: 5927 5927
Philly fu*kin up, but ima still have my tall chai lattes in the morning

8 months ago '08        #9
M 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,889 | Props total: 9575 9575
 hiphop4ever said
Philly fu*kin up, but ima still have my tall chai lattes in the morning
I rarely go to Starbucks but when I do it's usually a chai latte

8 months ago '17        #10
Naga Sadow 13 heat pts13
space
space
$8,867 | Props total: 35702 35702
Just hurt a corporation the best way you can, hurting their wallets. They'll get the message real quick when their sticks drop and they'll sing their song and dance about diversity and intolerance in hopes their stocks go back up and level off. And it's all because some bigots wanted to act.

Gotta love it.

8 months ago '14        #11
black cobra 755 heat pts755
space
space
$16,373 | Props total: 70889 70889
Never been to a Starbucks

That’s why it’s important to support black businesses it’s only a matter of time before these organizations under white supremacy do the same thing.

Boycott all them now

8 months ago '04        #12
two-face 97 heat pts97
space
space
$45,442 | Props total: 47668 47668
I dont drink coffee and never been to starbucks so im with it lol

8 months ago '04        #13
Sagat 2 heat pts
space
space
space
$199 | Props total: 629 629
nobody's got this manager's information yet?

Philly stand up??

8 months ago '04        #14
D.IrIsH 363 heat pts363
space
space
$5,956 | Props total: 9060 9060
 foshoVoodoo said
bye bye kimodo dragon expressos
It's Espresso you uncivilized boar.

Boycott supported.

8 months ago '16        #15
FlyinIron 
space
space
$6,113 | Props total: 14722 14722

8 months ago '04        #16
Hardkore 10 heat pts10
space
space
$19,799 | Props total: 2892 2892
they should have not been arrested.

8 months ago '05        #17
swyshasweets 
space
space
$2,190 | Props total: 631 631
it didn’t happen at my local starbucks so i dont give a fu*k.... my lil girl still get her iced coffee when she want

8 months ago '11        #18
PhantomRaviolis 
space
space
$477 | Props total: 1129 1129
I don’t drink that bullsh*t anyway.

Liquid sugar in a cup for 5 dollars? Gtfo

8 months ago '14        #19
Aries 94 heat pts94
space
space
$10,876 | Props total: 26998 26998
 swyshasweets said
it didn’t happen at my local starbucks so i dont give a fu*k.... my lil girl still get her iced coffee when she want
Slapped for giving your daughter that liquid diabetes and caffeine, thats bad parenting

8 months ago '13        #20
marietta92 26 heat pts26
space
space
$10,426 | Props total: 13218 13218
Starbucks needs to pay those two men, whether there’s a boycott or not.

8 months ago '13        #21
NY Knicka 21 heat pts21
space
space
$7,415 | Props total: 12937 12937
Black people boycotting Starbucks would not affect their bottom line. It’s not like we are their main customer. I would protest by “loitering”.

8 months ago '13        #22
saintluc 3 heat pts
space
space
$1,794 | Props total: 4057 4057
I'm from Seattle and rarely if ever drank that sh*t. fu*k starbucks there's hundreds of other local baristas worth spending your money than a global leech like starbucks.

like cowgirls
[pic - click to view]

gotta respect chicks wearing thongs in 45F degree temperature

8 months ago '16        #23
Boogersugar 54 heat pts54
space
space
$4,553 | Props total: 14885 14885
 Sagat said
nobody's got this manager's information yet?

Philly stand up??
Holly Hylton. She's wiped her social media but I think she's on LinkedIn still

saintluc said
I'm from Seattle and rarely if ever drank that sh*t. fu*k starbucks there's hundreds of other local baristas worth spending your money than a global leech like starbucks.

like cowgirls
[pic - click to view]

gotta respect chicks wearing thongs in 45F degree temperature
I saw these in Seattle and always thought they looked really unsafe and then that girl got flash fried when one exploded

8 months ago '05        #24
dasill 12 heat pts12
space
space
$6,859 | Props total: 6222 6222
 NY Knicka said
Black people boycotting Starbucks would not affect their bottom line. It’s not like we are their main customer. I would protest by “loitering”.
I dont know if you have noticed this. But when these rallies and organized boycotting happen the majority of people marching and protesting are not black people

8 months ago '05        #25
Daddy Black 2 heat pts
space
space
$8,569 | Props total: 4299 4299
Ive only had Starbucks three times ever. But this right here im all for it. Never having it again.

Home      

most viewed right now
+98online now  46
The Best Pancakes Of The 90's
216 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+88online now  44
Image(s) inside Malania Trump Ain't Got Sh!t On This First Lady
61 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+40online now  31
Video inside 20 Sports Hats You Should Never Wear In Los Angeles
126 comments
24 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  20
Video inside Footage Of Blueface Playing Division 1 Football Before Turning Rapper
60 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+31online now  14
Video inside First look at Sonic the Hedgehog in his upcoming 'live-action' movie an..
82 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
online now  12
Jada Pinkett-Smith used to send 2Pac Pictures In Lingerie While He Was In Prison
76 comments
18 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+18online now  12
NBA steph curry says the moon landing was faked
145 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
online now  7
Video inside Conway The Machine - E.I.F.2