Apr 14 - Men Arrested at Starbucks For...Waiting

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

8 months ago '04        #1
12049 page views
342 comments

eazyvaboy 58 heat pts58
space
space
$4,022 | Props total: 13578 13578
Apr 14 - Men Arrested at Starbucks For...Waiting

A viral video of two men being arrested in a Starbucks has raised questions about police procedure and created a firestorm of debate online.

Footage of the startling incident was shared on Twitter by writer Melissa DePino. The video of the event, which reportedly took place on Thursday inside a Philadelphia Starbucks, has been viewed almost two million times (as of this writing) since it was uploaded. DePino wrote in her tweet that “The police were called because these men hadn’t ordered anything.”

The clips show the two black men being removed from the restaurant as another man is seen talking to a police officer, telling him the situation is “ridiculous.”

The officer says, “We got called. We didn’t just come out here.”

But the man doesn’t back off, asking the officers, “What did they get called for? Because they were two black guys sitting waiting to meet me? What did they do? What did they do? Tell me what they did.”

You can hear a woman saying, “They didn’t do anything, I saw the entire thing,”

DePino claimed on Twitter that a Starbucks employee phoned police. A debate about the cause of the arrest started almost instantly, with DePino tweeting people have a.ssumed there “must be something more to this story.”

The a.ssociated Press reports that Philadelphia’s police commissioner is defending his officers’ decision to arrest the two men in Starbucks.

Commissioner Richard Ross, who is black, said police asked the men to leave three times but they refused. They were arrested and released. Ross said his officers “did absolutely nothing wrong.”

There was no mention of the white man in the video who said he was meeting with the men. He called the arrest “ridiculous” on video.

Starbucks tweeted an additional message, further apologizing for the incident.

342 comments for "Apr 14 - Men Arrested at Starbucks For...Waiting"

8 months ago '11        #2
SomeOnesoN 206 heat pts206
space
space
$18,072 | Props total: 4243 4243

8 months ago '16        #3
Aztlan 67 heat pts67
space
space
$10,784 | Props total: 27092 27092
Why call the police?

8 months ago '05        #4
Da Gooneyz 5 heat pts
space
space
$8,316 | Props total: 1457 1457
Debate??? Really????? fu*king hell...

8 months ago '04        #5
Marccoogs19 192 heat pts192
space
space
$10,926 | Props total: 7647 7647
There's more to this story too

Outrage is mounting after two men were arrested at a Philadelphia Starbucks, and an eyewitness said a manager escalated the situation by calling police instead of asking the men to buy something or leave.

Lauren, who asked that her last name not be used, shot video of the two men being arrested at the Starbucks just before 5 p.m. on April 12. She said the incident began after the men asked to use the bathroom and were told that it was only available for paying customers, which Philadelphia Police Commissioner Richard Ross later confirmed.

After the men had been "quietly hanging out, chatting and waiting for their friend," she said officers entered the restaurant and asked the two men to leave, saying that they would be trespassing if they did not leave.

"The two young men politely asked why they were being told to leave and were not given a reason other than the manager wanted them to leave," she told ABC in an email.

The men told the officer that they were waiting for a friend to arrive and offered to call that friend to prove that they had legitimate business at the restaurant, she said.

At that point, she said several officers began to move tables and chairs around the two men and take them into custody.

The friend for whom the men were waiting then arrived and attempted to intervene, but police told him the men "were not paying customers and thus were trespassing," Lauren recalled.

"The two men stayed calm and did not raise their voices once. Everyone else in the Starbucks, however, was appalled," she added.

Lauren said another woman had entered the Starbucks minutes before the men were arrested and was given the bathroom code without having to buy anything and that another person in the restaurant at the time of the incident "announced that she had been sitting at Starbucks for the past couple of hours without buying anything."

"These men were discriminated against and unjustly detained. Being a person of privilege, it's hard to believe things like this still happen in 2018," Lauren told ABC. "Sometimes you don't fully believe it until you see it with your own eyes."

8 months ago '04        #6
Chronos 4 heat pts
space
space
$7,439 | Props total: 3955 3955
I’ve seen numerous people hangout at Starbucks before without ordering anything and never have they been asked to leave, this is clearly discrimination and the fact that they called the police on them shows that the employees profiled the men and Starbucks response isn’t good enough.

8 months ago '16        #7
3 bs 35 heat pts35
space
space
$14,613 | Props total: 32256 32256
They were asked to leave 3 times tho and didn’t

8 months ago '05        #8
GST 
space
space
$15,714 | Props total: 3992 3992
I knew it ... thread title says it all

8 months ago '14        #9
black cobra 755 heat pts755
space
space
$16,372 | Props total: 70889 70889
 3 bs said
If they were two middle eastern men I bet you would have a different tone

8 months ago '08        #10
tdnupe3 11 heat pts11
space
space
$8,214 | Props total: 23170 23170
Hopefully they get an attorney good enough to get them a nice 7 figure settlement out of this. Starbucks will pay it too.

On another note, this is an excellent opportunity for Dunkin Donuts to start promoting a diverse welcoming environment.

Just a thought.

8 months ago '12        #11
OldBusiness 172 heat pts172
space
space
$27,027 | Props total: 41236 41236
Me and my homie always talk about how the one in this area is a hangout spot. We've seen people take food into it and sh*t from other restaurants. People don't like going cause high school kids loiter there like he'll.

This sh*t is crazy

8 months ago '12        #12
OldBusiness 172 heat pts172
space
space
$27,027 | Props total: 41236 41236
 tdnupe3 said
Hopefully they get an attorney good enough to get them a nice 7 figure settlement out of this. Starbucks will pay it too.

On another note, this is an excellent opportunity for Dunkin Donuts to start promoting a diverse welcoming environment.

Just a thought.
The Fox News crowd gone start buying and then burning breakfast from Duncan Donuts.

Florida Man gone run up in there with a gun for his 'rights'.

8 months ago '09        #13
UrbanEnterprise 146 heat pts146
space
space
$23,552 | Props total: 26585 26585
Can they sue?

8 months ago '07        #14
Cartel-Clipz 38 heat pts38
space
space
$34,603 | Props total: 42180 42180
I don't even know what I want to say, man...

8 months ago '15        #15
blaphy 363 heat pts363
space
space
space
$17,177 | Props total: 33219 33219

[pic - click to view]

I hate Starbucks, Dunkin 4 life

8 months ago '08        #16
tdnupe3 11 heat pts11
space
space
 OldBusiness said
The Fox News crowd gone start buying and then burning breakfast from Duncan Donuts.

Florida Man gone run up in there with a gun for his 'rights'.
What did Eazy say: "they can do what they want with em'. They bought them muffakas".

And the majority of the fox news crowd can't even afford dunkin donuts, let alone starbucks. They have to brew their coffee on the stove because they threw all their keurigs off their 2nd story apartment balconies and out their trailer park windows.

8 months ago '14        #17
DUENASnoches 5 heat pts
space
space
$1,570 | Props total: 1062 1062
sh*t is damn sad. I applaud how the two men handled it as written in the story above. Brings more of the right type of attention to these ridiculous occurrences and terrible treatment.

8 months ago '08        #18
tdnupe3 11 heat pts11
space
space
 UrbanEnterprise said
Can they sue?
Hell yeah they can sue. They didn't do anything but wait on a friend before ordering. And ask to use a bathroom. The manager clearly was biased because she let others loiter and use the bathroom according to other employees and witnesses. All they have to say is that they were waiting on a friend before ordering and have one of the witnesses or employees back up their story. I don't think they can sue the police dept though. I mean the cops were d!cks, but I don't see how the police broke the law.

@ would know better than me though. I could be completely wrong.

Last edited by tdnupe3; 04-14-2018 at 09:00 PM..

8 months ago '08        #19
flav 2 heat pts
space
space
$3,820 | Props total: 5659 5659
This is riduculous

I bet tho idiot who called the cops on’em “felt unsafe”

Same shiet happened to me in a nice area around VA beach on the street by the beach houses. I was riding a motorcycle looking electric bike and some dumbf*k called the cops because they felt some type of way. Oddly, my homie owns 5 houses over there and i was just chillin in one of them. The callers were likely vacation renters from wherever the f*k they came visiting from

I was confronted by the cops who were more than ready to make sh*t happen, especially this “chief” but i dismantled his useless argument as my engine was under 500watts, so there was no need for a helmet or a license plate (that was their excuse for stopping me btw), as he realized he wasn’t dealing with an idiot he calmed down reeaaall quick for some reason and suddenly became a ‘gentleman’

After they left and of course 100 eyes stared at me from every direction, i get back in the house as everyone asks me what happened, and after they were surprised, the white family friend who was doing THE SAME DAMN THING told me that he did ride by a police car, and he told me that they waved at him, and he waved back so you KNOW whoever called specifically described my azz

I get that the police have to address an issue especially when called, but useless attitude is uncalled for, and whoever the hell the caller is, fuk’em. Call the popo when you witness a potential REAL danger not some “oh they MUST” be doing something wrong

8 months ago '16        #20
3 bs 35 heat pts35
space
space
 Black Anaconda said
If they were two middle eastern men I bet you would have a different tone
Nope, if manager/cops told them to leave since they didn’t buy anything thems the rules. Wait outside

8 months ago '08        #21
flav 2 heat pts
space
space
$3,820 | Props total: 5659 5659
I hope they sue and get their $$’s worth. The embarrassment they had to endure boils my blood

8 months ago '07        #22
FeedTheBeast 23 heat pts23
space
space
$14,643 | Props total: 12332 12332
 3 bs said
Don’t be an idiot.....even online just don’t

8 months ago '16        #23
3 bs 35 heat pts35
space
space
 FeedTheBeast said
Don’t be an idiot.....even online just don’t
What’s the problem? They were loitering

8 months ago '05        #24
Flatbush85 58 heat pts58
space
space
$15,201 | Props total: 3545 3545
I agree with the arrest if the reason they were waiting is to be a grown man and meeting up to hear a Herbalife pitch.

8 months ago '05        #25
Gully Reloaded 
space
space
$1,167 | Props total: 2018 2018
 tdnupe3 said
Hell yeah they can sue. They didn't do anything but wait on a friend before ordering. And ask to use a bathroom. The manager clearly was biased because she let others loiter and use the bathroom according to other employees and witnesses. All they have to say is that they were waiting on a friend before ordering and have one of the witnesses or employees back up their story. I don't think they can sue the police dept though. I mean the cops were d!cks, but I don't see how the police broke the law.

@ would know better than me though. I could be completely wrong.

What do you think the legal basis is for them to sue?

Home      

most viewed right now
+97online now  36
The Best Pancakes Of The 90's
216 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+40online now  35
Video inside 20 Sports Hats You Should Never Wear In Los Angeles
126 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+88online now  30
Image(s) inside Malania Trump Ain't Got Sh!t On This First Lady
61 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
online now  18
Video inside Footage Of Blueface Playing Division 1 Football Before Turning Rapper
60 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+31online now  17
Video inside First look at Sonic the Hedgehog in his upcoming 'live-action' movie an..
80 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+18online now  15
NBA steph curry says the moon landing was faked
145 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+158online now  14
NFL Rg3 loses maga haircut due to boxden jokes