squad up!

Apr 14 - Men Arrested at Starbucks For...Waiting

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 months ago '04        #1
11612 page views
342 comments

eazyvaboy 58 heat pts58
space
space
$3,799 | Props total: 12651 12651
Apr 14 - Men Arrested at Starbucks For...Waiting

A viral video of two men being arrested in a Starbucks has raised questions about police procedure and created a firestorm of debate online.

Footage of the startling incident was shared on Twitter by writer Melissa DePino. The video of the event, which reportedly took place on Thursday inside a Philadelphia Starbucks, has been viewed almost two million times (as of this writing) since it was uploaded. DePino wrote in her tweet that “The police were called because these men hadn’t ordered anything.”

The clips show the two black men being removed from the restaurant as another man is seen talking to a police officer, telling him the situation is “ridiculous.”

The officer says, “We got called. We didn’t just come out here.”

But the man doesn’t back off, asking the officers, “What did they get called for? Because they were two black guys sitting waiting to meet me? What did they do? What did they do? Tell me what they did.”

You can hear a woman saying, “They didn’t do anything, I saw the entire thing,”

DePino claimed on Twitter that a Starbucks employee phoned police. A debate about the cause of the arrest started almost instantly, with DePino tweeting people have a.ssumed there “must be something more to this story.”

The a.ssociated Press reports that Philadelphia’s police commissioner is defending his officers’ decision to arrest the two men in Starbucks.

Commissioner Richard Ross, who is black, said police asked the men to leave three times but they refused. They were arrested and released. Ross said his officers “did absolutely nothing wrong.”

There was no mention of the white man in the video who said he was meeting with the men. He called the arrest “ridiculous” on video.

Starbucks tweeted an additional message, further apologizing for the incident.

342 comments for "Apr 14 - Men Arrested at Starbucks For...Waiting"
 5 months ago '11        #2
SomeOnesoN 206 heat pts206
space
space
$17,966 | Props total: 3785 3785

5 months ago '16        #3
Aztlan 65 heat pts65
space
space
$9,954 | Props total: 24753 24753
Why call the police?

5 months ago '05        #4
Da Gooneyz 5 heat pts
space
space
$8,266 | Props total: 1344 1344
Debate??? Really????? fu*king hell...

5 months ago '04        #5
Marccoogs19 190 heat pts190
space
space
$10,860 | Props total: 7253 7253
There's more to this story too

Outrage is mounting after two men were arrested at a Philadelphia Starbucks, and an eyewitness said a manager escalated the situation by calling police instead of asking the men to buy something or leave.

Lauren, who asked that her last name not be used, shot video of the two men being arrested at the Starbucks just before 5 p.m. on April 12. She said the incident began after the men asked to use the bathroom and were told that it was only available for paying customers, which Philadelphia Police Commissioner Richard Ross later confirmed.

After the men had been "quietly hanging out, chatting and waiting for their friend," she said officers entered the restaurant and asked the two men to leave, saying that they would be trespassing if they did not leave.

"The two young men politely asked why they were being told to leave and were not given a reason other than the manager wanted them to leave," she told ABC in an email.

The men told the officer that they were waiting for a friend to arrive and offered to call that friend to prove that they had legitimate business at the restaurant, she said.

At that point, she said several officers began to move tables and chairs around the two men and take them into custody.

The friend for whom the men were waiting then arrived and attempted to intervene, but police told him the men "were not paying customers and thus were trespassing," Lauren recalled.

"The two men stayed calm and did not raise their voices once. Everyone else in the Starbucks, however, was appalled," she added.

Lauren said another woman had entered the Starbucks minutes before the men were arrested and was given the bathroom code without having to buy anything and that another person in the restaurant at the time of the incident "announced that she had been sitting at Starbucks for the past couple of hours without buying anything."

"These men were discriminated against and unjustly detained. Being a person of privilege, it's hard to believe things like this still happen in 2018," Lauren told ABC. "Sometimes you don't fully believe it until you see it with your own eyes."

5 months ago '04        #6
Chronos 3 heat pts
space
space
$7,228 | Props total: 3695 3695
I’ve seen numerous people hangout at Starbucks before without ordering anything and never have they been asked to leave, this is clearly discrimination and the fact that they called the police on them shows that the employees profiled the men and Starbucks response isn’t good enough.

5 months ago '16        #7
3 bs 35 heat pts35
space
space
$14,603 | Props total: 32253 32253
They were asked to leave 3 times tho and didn’t

5 months ago '05        #8
GST 
space
space
$15,566 | Props total: 3818 3818
I knew it ... thread title says it all

5 months ago '14        #9
black cobra 596 heat pts596
space
space
$14,915 | Props total: 63060 63060
 3 bs said
If they were two middle eastern men I bet you would have a different tone

5 months ago '08        #10
tdnupe3 11 heat pts11
space
space
$7,865 | Props total: 21491 21491
Hopefully they get an attorney good enough to get them a nice 7 figure settlement out of this. Starbucks will pay it too.

On another note, this is an excellent opportunity for Dunkin Donuts to start promoting a diverse welcoming environment.

Just a thought.

5 months ago '12        #11
OldBusiness 166 heat pts166
space
space
$25,471 | Props total: 34673 34673
Me and my homie always talk about how the one in this area is a hangout spot. We've seen people take food into it and sh*t from other restaurants. People don't like going cause high school kids loiter there like he'll.

This sh*t is crazy

5 months ago '12        #12
OldBusiness 166 heat pts166
space
space
$25,471 | Props total: 34673 34673
 tdnupe3 said
Hopefully they get an attorney good enough to get them a nice 7 figure settlement out of this. Starbucks will pay it too.

On another note, this is an excellent opportunity for Dunkin Donuts to start promoting a diverse welcoming environment.

Just a thought.
The Fox News crowd gone start buying and then burning breakfast from Duncan Donuts.

Florida Man gone run up in there with a gun for his 'rights'.

5 months ago '09        #13
UrbanEnterprise 110 heat pts110
space
space
$22,385 | Props total: 23366 23366
Can they sue?

5 months ago '07        #14
Cartel-Clipz 34 heat pts34
space
space
$33,358 | Props total: 37101 37101
I don't even know what I want to say, man...

5 months ago '15        #15
blaphy 363 heat pts363
space
space
space
$17,178 | Props total: 33177 33177

[pic - click to view]

I hate Starbucks, Dunkin 4 life

5 months ago '08        #16
tdnupe3 11 heat pts11
space
space
 OldBusiness said
The Fox News crowd gone start buying and then burning breakfast from Duncan Donuts.

Florida Man gone run up in there with a gun for his 'rights'.
What did Eazy say: "they can do what they want with em'. They bought them muffakas".

And the majority of the fox news crowd can't even afford dunkin donuts, let alone starbucks. They have to brew their coffee on the stove because they threw all their keurigs off their 2nd story apartment balconies and out their trailer park windows.

5 months ago '14        #17
DUENASnoches 5 heat pts
space
space
$1,546 | Props total: 1027 1027
sh*t is damn sad. I applaud how the two men handled it as written in the story above. Brings more of the right type of attention to these ridiculous occurrences and terrible treatment.

5 months ago '08        #18
tdnupe3 11 heat pts11
space
space
 UrbanEnterprise said
Can they sue?
Hell yeah they can sue. They didn't do anything but wait on a friend before ordering. And ask to use a bathroom. The manager clearly was biased because she let others loiter and use the bathroom according to other employees and witnesses. All they have to say is that they were waiting on a friend before ordering and have one of the witnesses or employees back up their story. I don't think they can sue the police dept though. I mean the cops were d!cks, but I don't see how the police broke the law.

@ would know better than me though. I could be completely wrong.

Last edited by tdnupe3; 04-14-2018 at 08:00 PM..

5 months ago '08        #19
flav 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,844 | Props total: 4398 4398
This is riduculous

I bet tho idiot who called the cops on’em “felt unsafe”

Same shiet happened to me in a nice area around VA beach on the street by the beach houses. I was riding a motorcycle looking electric bike and some dumbf*k called the cops because they felt some type of way. Oddly, my homie owns 5 houses over there and i was just chillin in one of them. The callers were likely vacation renters from wherever the f*k they came visiting from

I was confronted by the cops who were more than ready to make sh*t happen, especially this “chief” but i dismantled his useless argument as my engine was under 500watts, so there was no need for a helmet or a license plate (that was their excuse for stopping me btw), as he realized he wasn’t dealing with an idiot he calmed down reeaaall quick for some reason and suddenly became a ‘gentleman’

After they left and of course 100 eyes stared at me from every direction, i get back in the house as everyone asks me what happened, and after they were surprised, the white family friend who was doing THE SAME DAMN THING told me that he did ride by a police car, and he told me that they waved at him, and he waved back so you KNOW whoever called specifically described my azz

I get that the police have to address an issue especially when called, but useless attitude is uncalled for, and whoever the hell the caller is, fuk’em. Call the popo when you witness a potential REAL danger not some “oh they MUST” be doing something wrong

5 months ago '16        #20
3 bs 35 heat pts35
space
space
 Black Anaconda said
If they were two middle eastern men I bet you would have a different tone
Nope, if manager/cops told them to leave since they didn’t buy anything thems the rules. Wait outside

5 months ago '08        #21
flav 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,844 | Props total: 4398 4398
I hope they sue and get their $$’s worth. The embarrassment they had to endure boils my blood

5 months ago '07        #22
FeedTheBeast 23 heat pts23
space
space
$14,515 | Props total: 11957 11957
 3 bs said
Don’t be an idiot.....even online just don’t

5 months ago '16        #23
3 bs 35 heat pts35
space
space
 FeedTheBeast said
Don’t be an idiot.....even online just don’t
What’s the problem? They were loitering

5 months ago '05        #24
Flatbush85 55 heat pts55
space
space
$15,037 | Props total: 2336 2336
I agree with the arrest if the reason they were waiting is to be a grown man and meeting up to hear a Herbalife pitch.

5 months ago '05        #25
Gully Reloaded 
space
space
$1,057 | Props total: 1610 1610
 tdnupe3 said
Hell yeah they can sue. They didn't do anything but wait on a friend before ordering. And ask to use a bathroom. The manager clearly was biased because she let others loiter and use the bathroom according to other employees and witnesses. All they have to say is that they were waiting on a friend before ordering and have one of the witnesses or employees back up their story. I don't think they can sue the police dept though. I mean the cops were d!cks, but I don't see how the police broke the law.

@ would know better than me though. I could be completely wrong.

What do you think the legal basis is for them to sue?

5 months ago '05        #26
ceo-of-hucworld 52 heat pts52
space
space
$8,687 | Props total: 13408 13408
The only time I ever fcuked with Starbucks was if my mom asked me to bring her a coffee when I came over. Since she don’t drink the sh*t anymore I have no reason to patronize this sh*thole. My only concern is that we as blacks will only boycott this bullsh*t and be right back in this bi*ch Monday morning.

5 months ago '07        #27
FeedTheBeast 23 heat pts23
space
space
$14,515 | Props total: 11957 11957
 3 bs said
What’s the problem? They were loitering
The manager was pus*y and probably scared of black people. They should have been approached by the manager before the police were called. sh*t I have seen white people chilling hard af in Starbucks just for the WiFi and ain’t bought a damn thing. They don’t get arrested.

5 months ago '15        #28
liquidzero 
space
space
$562 | Props total: 3542 3542

[pic - click to view]

5 months ago '15        #29
thirssty58 6 heat pts
space
space
$12,381 | Props total: 16927 16927
Man listen I've walked in so many spots and presence alone has people giving off so many funny vibes...def not surprising. I was in a restaurant the other day literally waiting for my food takeout and like three waitresses some black whispering and snickering what does he want whys he just standing there guess we don't look like we belong or are making patrons uncomfortable...rough out here

5 months ago '08        #30
tdnupe3 11 heat pts11
space
space
 Gully Reloaded said
What do you think the legal basis is for them to sue?
I would say descrimination or profiling in the broad sense of the terms. I mean, they would have to prove certain things to be true (that the police were called because of race, or they were asked to leave when other weren't for doing the exact same thing).

Like I said though, I would ask @. He is much more versed in legal jargon than myself, so I'll defer to him on this one.

But, I would definitely contact a lawyer and try to get them to settle out of court. It's almost more beneficial for starbucks to settle this than to let it go all the way to a judgement. Even if starbucks wins the case, they lose in the court of public opinion for supporting racist behavior (well, what appears to be racist behavior anyways). Imagine if just 10% of their PAYING customers decided to go elsewhere for a month. The power of internet videos/pictures and public perception is strong.

They don't have to worry about me stepping foot in one of their stores or purchasing their nasty drinks for my son, sister, mom, gf, etc. until they provide an acceptable response to this.

Home      

top in section
online now  37
12 comments
top in movies
top in section
online now  35
110 comments
top in hiphop
top in section
online now  36
34 comments
top in tech

most viewed right now
online now  40
audio inside Lupe Fiasco – King Nas
169 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  38
No wine no roses just 7 min n some bb oil
33 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
online now  38
Article inside Huge marijuana bundles are washing up on Florida beaches after hurric..
57 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  15
Woman exposes rapper, Kid Buu being a 30 year old criminal
126 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  13
Video inside Joe Budden Said Diddy Told Him Eminem Is Going To Be "Handled" & His MG..
238 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  13
Video inside Lost City of Atlantis hidden in plain sight?
65 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  11
Video inside OBH rapper Skinny on the Run for MURDER gives Live update from UHAUL tr..
116 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  10
YelaWolf-Shade (Machine Gun Kelly Diss)
90 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy