Against All Odds! EA Sent 'A Way Out' out to die, it exceeded their expectations

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

8 months ago '07        #1
1625 page views
24 comments

CadillacVyse 1018 heat pts1018
space
space
space
$28,742 | Props total: 21033 21033
Against All Odds! EA Sent 'A Way Out' out to die, it exceeded their expectations

A Way Out is not a particularly good game, but its goofy co-op story about two soon-to-be escaped prisoners has proved a hit with players. Developer Hazelight Studios announced yesterday that the game has sold more than one million copies since it released in late March. Given that only one of your co-op duo has to own the game in order for you to play, its total player count is probably even higher than that.

It's done far better than publisher EA thought it would, according to a marketing plan for the game that was leaked last year. In that plan, EA predicted the game would sell 203,000 copies in its first week, and would go on to sell 894,000 total. It's good to see a narrative-driven game smash a publisher's expectations.

24 comments for "Against All Odds! EA Sent 'A Way Out' out to die, it exceeded their expectations"

8 months ago '10        #2
pacman45 4 heat pts
space
space
$3,761 | Props total: 6833 6833
The best part is that I heard EA doesnt get a dime from this game.

8 months ago '16        #3
OgieOgilthorpe6 
space
space
space
$5,776 | Props total: 3455 3455
 Doc Logical said

[pic - click to view]

lol it is though, the commercial sold me and it wasnt at all like i expected, have fun watching a boring videos for 20 minutes and playing for 3 then watching another 20 minute video on and on

8 months ago '11        #4
xArchangeLx 3 heat pts
space
space
$882 | Props total: 1555 1555
It was a good game
Played with my brother and my gf cried at the end lmao

8 months ago '09        #5
DEATH 60 heat pts60
space
space
$23,508 | Props total: 3753 3753
Maybe they will add a single player option now

8 months ago '06        #6
philly337 26 heat pts26
space
space
$31,837 | Props total: 17002 17002
Was a good game and they need to bring coop back. Nerds with no friends who live on xbox live k!lled it. Co-op stories with your homie >>>

8 months ago '15        #7
Kdub31 10 heat pts10
space
space
$1,462 | Props total: 4423 4423
They have to bring bacc co-op! Theres no point in owning a console if only one person can play at a time. PC's do that better and cheaper.

8 months ago '04        #8
Grisly 38 heat pts38
space
space
$8,807 | Props total: 5486 5486
 pacman45 said
if we're being honest, that's the reason that i bought this

i think most people are thinking like me and seen that there is a game with pretty solid looking graphics and story, and its being sold for $30, and you get to play with a friend for free?

it's about fu*king time something like this came along to save gamers from the raping we've been taking

this is gamers literally putting their money where their mouth is and saying HEY we support THIS company and these devs and we will make sure its known cause we want them to continue pushing the envelope

hopefully this sh*t really causes the industry to take a step back and look at the way they been making and marketing videogames

theres motherfu*kers literally selling BETAS for $60 and then dropping 'DLC' 6 months later and that sort of sh*t is just really making gamers not even want to buy sh*t anymore

A Way Out was a breath of fresh fu*king air in several ways
and they even brought back that old school feel of being able to play a game locally with ur homey on the same couch

glad my BX brethren aint sleeping on this either

8 months ago '07        #9
killacar 6 heat pts
space
space
$6,002 | Props total: 8951 8951
 OgieOgilthorpe6 said
lol it is though, the commercial sold me and it wasnt at all like i expected, have fun watching a boring videos for 20 minutes and playing for 3 then watching another 20 minute video on and on
Tomb Raider???

8 months ago '10        #10
pacman45 4 heat pts
space
space
 Grisly said

i think most people are thinking like me and seen that there is a game with pretty solid looking graphics and story, and its being sold for $30, and you get to play with a friend for free?

it's about fu*king time something like this came along to save gamers from the raping we've been taking

this is gamers literally putting their money where their mouth is and saying HEY we support THIS company and these devs and we will make sure its known cause we want them to continue pushing the envelope

hopefully this sh*t really causes the industry to take a step back and look at the way they been making and marketing videogames

theres motherfu*kers literally selling BETAS for $60 and then dropping 'DLC' 6 months later and that sort of sh*t is just really making gamers not even want to buy sh*t anymore

and they even brought back that old school feel of being able to play a game locally with ur homey on the same couch

I fully agree with your sentiments.

8 months ago '17        #11
Magic Johnson 
space
space
$593 | Props total: 1594 1594
 OgieOgilthorpe6 said
That game is amazing for the budget and amount of people working on it. Got some bugs in the game but outside of that this game was a breath of fresh air compared to the trash we get nowadays.

8 months ago '04        #12
deziking 113 heat pts113
space
space
$21,941 | Props total: 10391 10391

[video - click to view]

Joseph the goat.

8 months ago '16        #13
OgieOgilthorpe6 
space
space
space
$5,776 | Props total: 3455 3455
 Magic Johnson said
That game is amazing for the budget and amount of people working on it. Got some bugs in the game but outside of that this game was a breath of fresh air compared to the trash we get nowadays.
i didnt notice bugs had nothing to do with that, you cant argue with me here, you play for five minutes tops then you watch a 15-20 min video then play for 5 watch a video rinse and repeat, no matter how good the gameplay is its boring to watch those vids, they are way too long and way too boring, me n my buddy were playing it day one n i passed out watching a video lol

8 months ago '05        #14
projectd06 2 heat pts
space
space
$6,852 | Props total: 9597 9597
Glad this sold well, shows co-op is still popular amongst gamers, maybe we can get more of this.

8 months ago '12        #15
Faythung 1391 heat pts1391
space
space
$15,387 | Props total: 10233 10233
 pacman45 said
 Grisly said

EA funded the development of the game and are the ones who decided that all the profits go to the developers.

8 months ago '11        #16
xArchangeLx 3 heat pts
space
space
$882 | Props total: 1555 1555
 OgieOgilthorpe6 said
i didnt notice bugs had nothing to do with that, you cant argue with me here, you play for five minutes tops then you watch a 15-20 min video then play for 5 watch a video rinse and repeat, no matter how good the gameplay is its boring to watch those vids, they are way too long and way too boring, me n my buddy were playing it day one n i passed out watching a video lol
You're exaggerating.
I played the entire game.
Yes there are cut scenes but it's the inverse of what you said. You play maybe 20 minutes then watch a small cutscene, which is integral to the story. You prob one of those dudes that presses x through the cutscenes of any game just to get to the f!ght scene with no idea of what the fu*k is going on.
This is a story not a f!ghter or shooter man.

8 months ago '10        #17
pacman45 4 heat pts
space
space
 Faythung said
EA funded the development of the game and are the ones who decided that all the profits go to the developers.
I think thats how publishers do business lol EA likes to set some of these devs up and be doa on a release. From their projections they figured the game wouldnt really make much by their standards, so its good to see the opposite.

8 months ago '04        #18
CrAkKedOuT 1033 heat pts1033
space
space
space
$25,262 | Props total: 19467 19467
 killacar said
Tomb Raider???
Metal Gear Solid?

8 months ago '12        #19
Faythung 1391 heat pts1391
space
space
$15,387 | Props total: 10233 10233
 pacman45 said
I think thats how publishers do business lol EA likes to set some of these devs up and be doa on a release. From their projections they figured the game wouldnt really make much by their standards, so its good to see the opposite.
Publishers most definitely do not do business where they take no money from the sale of the game. This game is part of EA Originals or whatever they're calling it which is where they fund developers and give them creative control to allow lesser known, more 'indie' like games to be made and thrive.

8 months ago '17        #20
Magic Johnson 
space
space
$593 | Props total: 1594 1594
 OgieOgilthorpe6 said
I hear you I guess I was too in to the story. In the beginning scenes (prison scenes) it is slow and full of talking but once you get past the first part, the game is amazing. The last part of the game is worth the play thru depending on who you're playing with (I know people literally cry over the ending). If you go back and finish it to the end, you'll probably change your mind.

8 months ago '12        #21
Nest 19 heat pts19
space
space
$3,716 | Props total: 489 489
 xArchangeLx said
You're exaggerating.
I played the entire game.
Yes there are cut scenes but it's the inverse of what you said. You play maybe 20 minutes then watch a small cutscene, which is integral to the story. You prob one of those dudes that presses x through the cutscenes of any game just to get to the f!ght scene with no idea of what the fu*k is going on.
This is a story not a f!ghter or shooter man.
you just described my best friend perfectly. He was the first person I tried playing this game with. Kept complaining and quit when you're in the nurses room. Thats literally when the game starts getting real dope. Tried to get him to come back after beating it with someone else but he wasnt having it.

Recently tried to play Farcry 5 with him and he kept wanting to skip all the scenes or ignore when people were talking. I cant play like that lol.

8 months ago '04        #22
Grisly 38 heat pts38
space
space
$8,807 | Props total: 5486 5486
 Nest said
you just described my best friend perfectly. He was the first person I tried playing this game with. Kept complaining and quit when you're in the nurses room. Thats literally when the game starts getting real dope. Tried to get him to come back after beating it with someone else but he wasnt having it.

Recently tried to play Farcry 5 with him and he kept wanting to skip all the scenes or ignore when people were talking. I cant play like that lol.
yea man some people are just weird / as*holes

8 months ago '10        #23
pacman45 4 heat pts
space
space
 Faythung said
Publishers most definitely do not do business where they take no money from the sale of the game. This game is part of EA Originals or whatever they're calling it which is where they fund developers and give them creative control to allow lesser known, more 'indie' like games to be made and thrive.
You're correct, im really speaking from the standpoint of how they do certain devs. EA never thought this would be truly successful, I do however like that program. Its the one thing I give them credit for, I heard they treated those guys pretty good too.

Im not disagreeing with anything your saying, my initial comment was just me feeling good that EA doesnt get anything from this. Of course without them this game wouldnt be in existence. The devs wanted the game to be consumer friendly, and no bullsh*t business practices which is what we need these days. No loot boxes, no games as a service, none of the bullsh*t we have to deal with constantly these days.

8 months ago '15        #24
kingjappyjoe 
space
space
space
$7,868 | Props total: 9358 9358
It’s kinda linear but the multiplayer co op is what drives the game. Graphics are sh*t too and the animations but the idea and story( stolen from many movies such as Shawshank Redemption among others mostly striking when thunder stuck lmaoo how can that not be claimed as stolen) game was fun though solid

7.3/10

Low replayability as well

Home      

most viewed right now
+102online now  44
The Best Pancakes Of The 90's
222 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+40online now  41
Video inside 20 Sports Hats You Should Never Wear In Los Angeles
130 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+93online now  37
Image(s) inside Malania Trump Ain't Got Sh!t On This First Lady
68 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
online now  17
The Ghost Of Yummy Murder In Chicago Documentary
35 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+33online now  16
Image(s) inside Why my hairline ain't straight like khaleds, why did bush knock down t..
92 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  12
Jada Pinkett-Smith used to send 2Pac Pictures In Lingerie While He Was In Prison
77 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+31online now  11
Video inside First look at Sonic the Hedgehog in his upcoming 'live-action' movie an..
82 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
online now  10
Dec 10 - Verizon says 10,000 employees have accepted its buyout offer
94 comments
19 hours ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy