Mar 13 - Flippy the burger-flipping robot was fired after one day

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

What do you think?
This robot will put half of BX out of work in the future 34 73.91%
the unabomber was right technology in evil 11 23.91%
i need one of these robots ASAP 5 10.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. This poll is closed

9 months ago '11        #1
3486 page views
51 comments

Sin 1764 heat pts1764
space
space
$26,261 | Props total: 72350 72350
Mar 13 - Flippy the burger-flipping robot was fired after one day

PASADENA, Calif. — Flippy, the burger-flipping robot that threatens to supplant short-order cooks, has taken its first extended break.

But the burger maker isn't blaming balky robotics for the snafu. Rather, it says humans -- or in this case, not enough of them -- are at fault.

After word got out about a human-replacing robot that could grill as many as 2,000 burgers a day, the Cali Group, which operates the Cali Burger chain says it was swamped with more interest, both from curious diners and potential robot buyers, than it could handle.

When news coverage about Flippy went viral, the Cali Group said it realized it needed to spend more time on training humans to keep up.

While Flippy held up its end of the deal, the restaurant is short of humans to prepare the patties for the grill and then pile on the lettuce and other fixins', said Anthony Lomelino, chief technology officer for Cali Group. For now, there's no robot for those tasks.

The robotic arms of "Flippy's Kitchen" is still on static display at Caliburger. The stage where patrons would normally line up for a peek was dark when USA TODAY visited Thursday, and there was little sign that Flippy would be coming back, but just when was "TBA" -- or to be announced. The restaurant was operating without the robot using its regular, human-run kitchen.

Flippy may be temporarily down, but he's far from out.

So far, tests by restaurants using robots have been mostly viewed as public-relations stunts. In the San Francisco Bay Area, the Zume Pizza chain uses a pizza-making robot to cook the pies while Sally the robot, also in the San Francisco area, makes your salad.

But whether it's burgers, cars or farming, robots are gradually becoming capable of doing jobs that employ millions of workers. In late 2017, a study by the Pew Research Center showed three-quarters of Americans said it is at least "somewhat realistic" that robots and computers eventually will perform most of the jobs now done by people. The survey found respondents worried about the fallout, such as income inequality that would result from mass unemployment.

In the decade leading up to last year, restaurant jobs that focused on fast food rose 40% to 4.9 million, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. That's faster than health care, construction or manufacturing.

Fast-food workers have been pushing for higher wages. Some big chains, facing high turnover and voter mandates, have complied.

But not all. Many workers are still f!ghting to earn $15 an hour. Caliburger pays employees from $13 to $14 an hour, depending upon the location.

"People who work in fast food aren’t scared of robots. What’s really scary is getting paid so little we need food stamps and public a.ssistance to take care of our families," says Rosalyn King, a McDonald’s worker from Detroit who is active in the union-backed f!ght for $15 movement.

For Caliburger, which advertises $3.99 "Southern California-style" hamburgers, keeping employees in the kitchen is difficult, the company says.

“We train them, they work on the grill, they realize it’s not fun ... and so they leave and drive Ubers,” says John Miller, CEO of the Cali Group.

Caliburger hopes to have 50 restaurants open by the end of the year. After Pasadena, it hopes to have a Flippy at its locations in Seattle; Washington, D.C.; and Annapolis, Md.

Once Caliburger works the kinks out, Flippy robots will certainly take jobs away, says Julie Carpenter, a research fellow with the Ethics and Emerging Sciences Group at California Polytechnic State University at San Luis Obispo, Calif. But she doesn't see fast food going 100% robotic. Restaurants will still need cashiers, people to open and close up, and workers for other tasks.

As for reception from the public, she says, "people might think it's cool, or angry that machines are taking over."

Cali's Lomelino was enlisted to get Flippy up and running, and is now training the store manager about the ins and outs of working with robots. Specifically, that means putting burger patties together, seasoning them, and prepping them for the robot to grab, grill, flip and making them ready for customers.

"Mostly it's the timing," he said. "When you're in the back, working with people, you talk to each other. With Flippy, you kind of need to work around his schedule. Choreographing the movements of what you do, when and how you do it."

The moral to the story: technology is cool and can do many wonderful things, but advancements like robots that can cook a hamburger won't happen overnight, Lomelino said.

His advice to other restaurants looking to enter the robotic revolution: "Be ready for a whole lot of inbound calls."

visit this link https://www.usatoday.com/ .. ady/405580002/

51 comments for "Mar 13 - Flippy the burger-flipping robot was fired after one day"

9 months ago '13        #2
3nl1ght3ned 12 heat pts12
space
space
$13,435 | Props total: 6375 6375

9 months ago '07        #3
Cartel-Clipz 38 heat pts38
space
space
$34,693 | Props total: 42581 42581
that sh*t just made me want a burger

9 months ago '11        #4
Sin 1764 heat pts1764 OP
space
space
 Cartel-Clipz said
i know its been 9 months since i've had one

9 months ago '07        #5
MELODY 123 heat pts123
space
space
$13,025 | Props total: 6270 6270
Felons live another day.

9 months ago '08        #6
cohs 6 heat pts
space
space
space
$3,956 | Props total: 8911 8911
need a double sided grill. cook both sides at once and scrap them into a container.

9 months ago '11        #7
PotheadFocker 174 heat pts174
space
space
$34,694 | Props total: 12040 12040
Would be a damn shame if someone threw a cup of water on your new "cook"

9 months ago '07        #8
Cartel-Clipz 38 heat pts38
space
space
$34,693 | Props total: 42581 42581
 Sin said
I hadn't been eating meat for almost 2 years but I fu*ked around and had a burger from 5 guys like a month ago...

pray for me

9 months ago '11        #9
Sin 1764 heat pts1764 OP
space
space
 Cartel-Clipz said
I hadn't been eating meat for almost 2 years but I fu*ked around and had a burger from 5 guys like a month ago...

pray for me
i miss 5 guys

im off of beef but im not off meat yet

9 months ago '05        #10
OG T Gutta N 10 heat pts10
space
space
$7,060 | Props total: 3286 3286
While Flippy held up its end of the deal, the restaurant is short of humans to prepare the patties for the grill and then pile on the lettuce and other fixins', said Anthony Lomelino, chief technology officer for Cali Group. For now, there's no robot for those tasks.
basically flippy flip too much and n*ggas cant keep up , wait to letty lay some lettuce and its over for u low wage 15 dollar askin u stupid a.ss fast food workers who cant figure out how to make a "plain" fu*king burger

9 months ago '17        #11
Eviction Notice 401 heat pts401
space
space
space
$6,103 | Props total: 18699 18699
Maybe flippy qualifies for Unemployment

9 months ago '09        #12
messy marv stan 5036 heat pts5036
space
space
$67,893 | Props total: 106487 106487
they want $15 a hour idiots at mcdonalds cant even get a simple 2 item order right. i order 2 plain cheese burgers every single time. yet theres mayo and all that other sh*t on there. they deserve $10 a hour tops

9 months ago '16        #13
Humblegold 8 heat pts
space
space
$2,698 | Props total: 4595 4595
I want a robot to do all my work, while i profit.

But yo, as a former cook, who ran lines. i want flippy just to clean the flattop every night

9 months ago '17        #14
MilliRock 109 heat pts109
space
space
$4,461 | Props total: 23205 23205
We don't use a T12000 to flip burgers

Humangang burger flippers at McDowell

[pic - click to view]

9 months ago '09        #15
Scallinno 232 heat pts232
space
space
$1,817 | Props total: 910 910
 messy marv stan said
they want $15 a hour idiots at mcdonalds cant even get a simple 2 item order right. i order 2 plain cheese burgers every single time. yet theres mayo and all that other sh*t on there. they deserve $10 a hour tops
1 time at Burger King I ordered a bacon cheeseburger with nothing but mayo and lettuce and they actually left the burger off. I didn't know till I was almost home and didn't go back. I laughed about an hour.

9 months ago '14        #16
TooFatToFish 
space
space
$6,122 | Props total: 13610 13610
 Sin said
8 years on May 1st

Miss it every single day

9 months ago '16        #17
BossTonMA 16 heat pts16
space
space
$8,755 | Props total: 25916 25916
 Humblegold said
I want a robot to do all my work, while i profit.

But yo, as a former cook, who ran lines. i want flippy just to clean the flattop every night
For real, I cooked for 2 years when I was in college, until I became the bartender / bar back there, cleaning the grill was easy the worst part of being a line cook.

9 months ago '10        #18
GwopNation 
space
space
$245 | Props total: 395 395
Brrruuuhhh that title got me dying laughing

9 months ago '14        #19
Comicsnow 115 heat pts115
space
space
$2,827 | Props total: 11521 11521
 Cartel-Clipz said
 Sin said
n*gga was hungry at 6:30 seen a two for 4 deal at McDonald's , n*gga ate 4 mcgriddles

n*gga stomach look nasty ads sh*t

Did 2hr on thread mill

9 months ago '17        #20
92baby 1 heat pts
space
space
$9,306 | Props total: 18526 18526
 MilliRock said
We don't use a T12000 to flip burgers

Humangang burger flippers at McDowell

[pic - click to view]

You're playing but there will be a uprising people will feel robots making burgers isn't natural so there will be a market for human "ran" places watch.

Robots running sh*t like this won't be the norm many decades to go. And it will be fought every step of the way.

When people can't afford their drugs and other vices cuz you want machines to do all the work.

You n*ggas watch

9 months ago '14        #21
Dawknight316 3 heat pts
space
space
$2,891 | Props total: 3474 3474
I discriminate against Automatons.

9 months ago '17        #22
MilliRock 109 heat pts109
space
space
$4,461 | Props total: 23205 23205
 92baby said
You're playing but there will be a uprising people will feel robots making burgers isn't natural so there will be a market for human "ran" places watch.

Robots running sh*t like this won't be the norm many decades to go. And it will be fought every step of the way.

When people can't afford their drugs and other vices cuz you want machines to do all the work.

You n*ggas watch
n*gga I'll be dead af when that happens

my kid kid kids tho

9 months ago '16        #23
Humblegold 8 heat pts
space
space
 Scallinno said
1 time at Burger King I ordered a bacon cheeseburger with nothing but mayo and lettuce and they actually left the burger off. I didn't know till I was almost home and didn't go back. I laughed about an hour.
Del Taco the WORST.

One time, my buddy ordered a half dozen soft tacos with only lettuce, at Del Taco. Buddy recieved 6 soft tacos with ONLY lettuce. Lmfao but way fu*ked up.

Another time, my pops got a breakfast burrito and it had lettuce in it. He threw that sh*t out on the highway. LOL smh.

In another note, Culvers is the bomb but everytime I order the bacon deluxe combo they be like you want everything on it? Duh, its the fu*king deluxe.

9 months ago '14        #24
strungout 391 heat pts391
space
space
$32,415 | Props total: 75955 75955
 Scallinno said
im on a keto diet and i just want the patty without the bun ... i literally try to explain give me everything except the bun and im met with a puzzled look staring at my face instead , its like pulling teeth so i dont even bother anymore unless the restaurant has a low carb option on the menu already

Last edited by strungout; 03-13-2018 at 07:42 PM..

9 months ago '16        #25
Humblegold 8 heat pts
space
space
 strungout said
im on a keto diet and i just want the patty without the bun ... i literally try to explain give me everything except the bun and im met with a puzzled look staring at my face instead , its like pulling death i dont even bother anymore unless the restaurant has a low carb option on the menu already
how are you serving food in 2018 and don't know what a lettuce wrap is?

Home      

most viewed right now
online now  27
Wassup With This Nigga Cassidy All Jokes Aside
98 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+33online now  18
Dec 16 - How Britain stole $45 trillion from India
83 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
+144online now  16
Nice Pawg
55 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
online now  8
Video inside *New* World War Z Trailer 4!!!
17 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
online now  7
Image(s) inside Travis Scott STICKS BY his word and SONS KANYE
90 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
-19online now  6
3 kids or 50 bodies which one will be your queen?
111 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  5
Video inside Tupac’s Quad Studio Robber Dexter Isaac Says Pacs Man Stretch Set Him U..
192 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  4
Video inside South Carolina Pastor Defends Gifting Wife A $200K+ Lamborghini Truck!
61 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy