squad up!

Black Panther’ Editor Reveals Two ‘Painful’ Scenes Cut From Film

view the rest of most viewed

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 months ago '17        #1
3130 page views
34 comments

O1as 223 heat pts223
space
space
$7,686 | Props total: 16387 16387
Black Panther’ Editor Reveals Two ‘Painful’ Scenes Cut From Film

Even a juicy, global sensation like "Black Panther" had some fat to trim -- not that anyone involved in the blockbuster was happy about leaving moments on the cutting room floor.

The film's editor and frequent Ryan Coogler collaborator Michael Shawver spoke with ThewWrap about his latest gig, a cultural phenomenon that on Sunday crossed the billion-dollar mark at the worldwide box office.

"Hands down the most painful scene to cut was [one] with Danai Gurira and Daniel Kaluuya," Shawver said of the actors, who play Wakanda's armed forces General Okoye and tribe ambassador W'Kabi, respectively. They're also onscreen lovers.

"Toward the end, after things go bad and k!llmonger [Michael B. Jordan] is in control and all that, we're talking about, what are they going to do? What is Wakanda going to become?" Shawver recalled.

"Those are two powerhouse actors and it was an incredible scene with so many layers to it -- boyfriend and girlfriend, it was general and her advisor, all those things. That was painful," he said.

In his role as editor, Shawver said his priority was to "have your finger on the pulse of what the audience is feeling. At that point in the movie, it's about two thirds through, and that's when most movies drag. Ours was taking a while to get to that point."

The other cut scene was a grounding moment for Chadwick Boseman's T'Challa and Forest Whitaker's Zuri, the latter serving as an elder statesman for the fictional African country under the black panther's rule.

"There's a scene between Chadwick and Forest's characters which sets up their relationship. It sort of lets you attach yourself to their father-son dynamic so that later on in the film ... you really feel more," he said.

Shawver confirmed that the scenes would be included on the forthcoming home entertainment release of "Black Panther," available as DVD extras.

The editor and director met as film school students at the University of Southern California, where Shawver said he gravitated toward Coogler's bold and personal filmmaking style. Shawver never imagined they would reach this level of success, he admitted.

"Ryan and I have been a team for five years, it's honestly hard to wrap my head around it," said Shawver, who said Coogler approached Marvel executives with the same determination and heart he had for their indie "Fruitvale Station."

"It was a great excuse as an adult male to read as many comics as I could. I got a sense of it, Ryan brought me to Marvel and they asked me everything from 'Will you be able to handle this?' to, 'What is your favorite Marvel movie?" Shawver said. "Ryan likes to be able to trust everybody he works with."

In his job interview, Shawver told the executives his favorite Marvel film was "The Avengers." We dare say he's got a new favorite now.

visit this link https://www.msn.com/en-us .. ilm/ar-BBK96Ow

34 comments for "Black Panther’ Editor Reveals Two ‘Painful’ Scenes Cut From Film"
 6 months ago '09        #2
ahmadou1 47 heat pts47
space
space
$9,851 | Props total: 17426 17426
Definitely getting the full directors cut.

6 months ago '06        #3
LeMar G 247 heat pts247
space
space
$17,311 | Props total: 45489 45489
Did they ever explain why they removed his intelligence and gave it to shuri?

Why is BP a mandingo f!ghter now?

6 months ago '17        #4
1Oh 4 heat pts
space
space
$2,223 | Props total: 11588 11588
 LeMar G said

So you missed the part when T'Challa said he designed the Civil War armor, when T'Challa strategized Nakia's rescue in the beginning of the movie, when T'Challa bugged Agent Ross during the Klaw interrogation on the low, and when T'Challa strategically deactivated Erik & his own armor in the great mound.

There's more than one way to be intelligent. You don't have to be an obvious computer whiz (Shuri's character). T'Challa is a subtle, calm, strategist and leader; and plays at least one step ahead.

6 months ago '16        #5
Frankie Needles 74 heat pts74
space
space
space
$2,310 | Props total: 10620 10620
 ahmadou1 said
Definitely getting the full directors cut.
I need that full 4 hour cut that was rumored...fu*k deleted scenes as extras...put them sh*ts in the edit and give me the full thing, I don't care if the run time bloats to 6 hours it'll be worth it

6 months ago '14        #6
mumbosauce 271 heat pts271
space
space
space
$10,337 | Props total: 14626 14626
 1Oh said
So you missed the part when T'Challa said
Over his head like bird sh*t

6 months ago '04        #7
ATLDOPEBOI30 74 heat pts74
space
space
$33,965 | Props total: 7928 7928
Yea when that 4hr cut go on preorder

6 months ago '06        #8
LeMar G 247 heat pts247
space
space
 1Oh said
So you missed the part when T'Challa said he designed the Civil War armor, when T'Challa strategized Nakia's rescue in the beginning of the movie, when T'Challa bugged Agent Ross during the Klaw interrogation on the low, and when T'Challa strategically deactivated Erik & his own armor in the great mound.

There's more than one way to be intelligent. You don't have to be an obvious computer whiz (Shuri's character). T'Challa is a subtle, calm, strategist and leader; and plays at least one step ahead.
This goes against his character tho

He IS probably top 3 smartest individulas in the Marvel universe.

So what he can strategize, even cap can do that.

If you only know MCU miss me with that commentary

[pic - click to view]

Last edited by LeMar G; 03-13-2018 at 12:05 PM..

6 months ago '17        #9
YAYO101 
space
space
$3,328 | Props total: 8732 8732
Yeah sign me up for the 4 Hour cut too not just the same fu*king Deleted Scenes and Gag Reel Bullsh*t

It will likely break records when it releases Blu Ray and Digital as well

6 months ago '07        #10
Rico23 23 heat pts23
space
space
$45,207 | Props total: 10612 10612
This n*gga @ be having the funniest avy's

That said, MCU has cut down the IQ(at face value) of 2 prominent black superheroes in both Falcon and Black Panther. and that said they are both supposed to be as smart as Tony, arguably smarter in the case of T'Challa.

Something i personally noticed and i'm FAR from the heavy comic head. So if I can see this, not sure how ppl can question comic heads who have more knowledge than me

6 months ago '17        #11
CJ Schwarz 64 heat pts64
space
space
$2,623 | Props total: 12490 12490
 LeMar G said

[pic - click to view]

Your probably new to Marvel comics but the top 3 smartest earth based characters canon wise are Reed, Doom, and Valeria. Cho is 7 so T'challa is btwn 4-6 or 8-10. You take your pick.

6 months ago '06        #12
LeMar G 247 heat pts247
space
space
 CJ Schwarz said
Your probably new to Marvel comics but the top 3 smartest earth based characters canon wise are Reed, Doom, and Valeria. Cho is 7 so T'challa is btwn 4-6 or 8-10. You take your pick.

Im not new to sh*t,

and that's your opinion since intelligence isnt ranked in cannon.

And you didnt even mention Pym

FOH

6 months ago '07        #13
Rico23 23 heat pts23
space
space
$45,207 | Props total: 10612 10612
 CJ Schwarz said

Thanks for keeping up with the real issues in this thread

6 months ago '17        #14
BXSPAGHETT 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,747 | Props total: 1925 1925
This is like star wars for black people. GOD DAMNNNNNNN

6 months ago '17        #15
1Oh 4 heat pts
space
space
 LeMar G said

So in the context of this movie's plot, what exactly did you want him to do to prove that he's super intelligent?

You needed a montage of him in a lab coat with test tubes and tinkering with wakandan technology to prove he's smart?

6 months ago '17        #16
CJ Schwarz 64 heat pts64
space
space
 LeMar G said

Im not new to sh*t,

and that's your opinion since intelligence isnt ranked in cannon.

And you didnt even mention Pym

FOH
You said T'challa was top 3 and this the only site I've seen it stated as so. It's just an understanding that the top 3 is Reed, Valeria, and Doom.

1. REED
2. DOOM
3.Valeria
4. Pym
5. Banner
6. T'challa

6 months ago '06        #17
LeMar G 247 heat pts247
space
space
 CJ Schwarz said
You said T'challa was top 3 and this the only site I've seen it stated as so. It's just an understanding that the top 3 is Reed, Valeria, and Doom.

1. REED
2. DOOM
3.Valeria
4. Pym
5. Banner
6. T'challa
reread what i wrote, I said probably,

but regardless i'm not mad at that

Although there is no understanding on anything thats not cannon. I could argue moon girl is smarter than all of them.

But, I would argue that Stark and Tchalla should be on that list over banner

Reed's intelligence is overrated AF

But thats the nice thing about comics. I can make that claim anytime I want.

6 months ago '17        #18
CJ Schwarz 64 heat pts64
space
space
 LeMar G said

Although there is no understanding on anything thats not cannon. I could argue moon girl is smarter than all of them.

Respect bro Black Panther hit a billy that's all that matters, Wakanda forever
[pic - click to view]

6 months ago '08        #19
Kewop Decam 87 heat pts87
space
space
space
$17,703 | Props total: 14146 14146
 1Oh said

Based on the actual character from the comics, he in the movie is kind a dumb dumb when compared to.

6 months ago '17        #20
GDmoney 
space
space
space
$236 | Props total: 183 183
 1Oh said

Damn !!!😲
But true !

6 months ago '06        #21
LeMar G 247 heat pts247
space
space
 Kewop Decam said
Based on the actual character from the comics, he in the movie is kind a dumb dumb when compared to.
They dont even know

6 months ago '15        #22
SeraphKin 4 heat pts
space
space
$7,236 | Props total: 28486 28486
 LeMar G said

"Future" Trunks

6 months ago '17        #23
1Oh 4 heat pts
space
space
 Kewop Decam said
True, but MCU T'Challa is most certainly not dumb or just a "mandingo f!ghter". You have to ignore A LOT to come up with that conclusion.

Even in Civil War, T'Challa showed signs of being one step ahead (Ex: secretly tailing Tony Stark to get to Bucky) and made good/sound decisions (Ex: choosing not to be consumed by vengeance like Tony, Cap, Zemo). All of these signs of his personality are further defined in the Black Panther movie; T'Challa is different kind of intelligent.

The "science geek" aspect of T'Challa in the comics is a worthy sacrifice to make Shuri a more unique character, and more vital to T'Challa on & off the field of battle. T'Challa doesn't necessarily NEED Shuri to be Black Panther, to solve problems for him, or to get him out of trouble; but he delegates her as his tech sidekick to make him more effective at his job. I like the James Bond & Q teamwork. Plus it also sets Shuri up to be a more distinctly different kind of Black Panther if/when becomes she Queen of Wakanda in future films.

6 months ago '13        #24
BoxdenNiggas 
space
space
space
$2,056 | Props total: 2289 2289
This is why I hate this movie biz sometimes if it actually helps the story and the film then keep that sh*t in the fans will not give a damn about a lenghtly movie if it's good and the scenes actually help the story move

6 months ago '14        #25
Sphynx 161 heat pts161
space
space
$9,357 | Props total: 30794 30794
You n*ggas are nerds

6 months ago '05        #26
projectd06 2 heat pts
space
space
$6,155 | Props total: 8223 8223
 LeMar G said

[pic - click to view]

They aren't really focusing on their intelligence much in marvel at all, tony MAYBE(but thats just more his inventions), but even Bruce Banner doesnt have any scenes where hes shown as being a genius, hes got maybe 1 scene in avengers when hes working with Tony but nothing showcasing his intelligence

I could be wrong, damn trees be fu*king with my memory some times.

6 months ago '15        #27
CheapWomenOkay 
space
space
space
$143 | Props total: 329 329
 1Oh said
True, but MCU T'Challa is most certainly not dumb or just a "mandingo f!ghter". You have to ignore A LOT to come up with that conclusion.

Even in Civil War, T'Challa showed signs of being one step ahead (Ex: secretly tailing Tony Stark to get to Bucky) and made good/sound decisions (Ex: choosing not to be consumed by vengeance like Tony, Cap, Zemo). All of these signs of his personality are further defined in the Black Panther movie; T'Challa is different kind of intelligent.

The "science geek" aspect of T'Challa in the comics is a worthy sacrifice to make Shuri a more unique character, and more vital to T'Challa on & off the field of battle. T'Challa doesn't necessarily NEED Shuri to be Black Panther, to solve problems for him, or to get him out of trouble; but he delegates her as his tech sidekick to make him more effective at his job. I like the James Bond & Q teamwork. Plus it also sets Shuri up to be a more distinctly different kind of Black Panther if/when becomes she Queen of Wakanda in future films.
I swear to God I hope that Shuri doesn't become the Black Panther at all. Every white male character got three movies. Give T'Challa the same. Shuri is so overrated, but this feminist crap once is once again tied to black male characters and only black male characters.

6 months ago '05        #28
HiRolliN 110 heat pts110
space
space
$21,130 | Props total: 3527 3527
T'Challa is still in his origin story phase hes still learning sh*t

if anything happens to shuri then T'Challa gonna have to step up and create his own sh*t.

Last edited by HiRolliN; 03-13-2018 at 08:53 PM..

6 months ago '15        #29
AmillionMo 10 heat pts10
space
space
$3,792 | Props total: 6198 6198
 LeMar G said

1Oh said

I actually agree with the 1st guy. Sure, we know he is supposed to be and is super smart but we know who he is. For newcomers and black women who saw the movie, they focused on Shuri being the most intelligent and they loved it. I tried to explain how T'Challa was actually more intelligent and his rank in the universe and she felt like I was saying that cause I didn't want a woman to be smarter. Crazy I know, but the bulk of people who saw this movie aren't like us and I think it's is slick speaking on the black man not being as intelligent as the black woman, only to subliminally uplift the woman more. Overall, im just glad a black person was portrayed as being brilliant, male or female

6 months ago '17        #30
1Oh 4 heat pts
space
space
 CheapWomenOkay said
I swear to God I hope that Shuri doesn't become the Black Panther at all. Every white male character got three movies. Give T'Challa the same. Shuri is so overrated, but this feminist crap once is once again tied to black male characters and only black male characters.
fu*k dat. I'm tryin to see the Shuri outfit in live action.

[pic - click to view]

Im totally fine with T'Challa going through a "King of the Dead" arc, and Shuri taking over for a bit while T'Challa goes through his personal journey. All the main Marvel characters have their life-altering 3rd movie in their trilogy (Ironman 3, Civil War, Ragnarok). T'Challa feeling unfit to rule Wakanda by the end of his 3rd film would be controversial and dope.

Home      

top in section
online now  36
40 comments
top in sports
top in section
online now  37
39 comments
top in hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  29
55 comments
top in thotties

most viewed right now
online now  64
my sister's friend
32 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
online now  44
Image(s) inside Who has the most swag in human history?
56 comments
2 days ago
@gear
most viewed right now
online now  42
8 masterpiece movies of the last 18 years
35 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
online now  19
Video inside Just some random fu-kery from my explore page..
40 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  15
Video inside Red Grant responds to Kevin Hart, Tiffany Haddish, Katt Williams & C th..
88 comments
19 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
online now  14
Video inside NICKI MINAJ just SHUT DOWN the INTERNET :mjdamn:
95 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
online now  13
Video inside Flabby Diddy Performing In Miami Club, NO ONE Feeling Him
21 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  11
Image(s) inside Sep 22 - Apple Begins Tracking Your Calls and Emails to Assign You a ‘..
28 comments
22 hours ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy