Almost No One Is Making a Living on YouTube

most viewed right now
+24  47
57 comments @hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

9 months ago '06        #1
10592 page views
128 comments

1OverJordan24 237 heat pts237
space
space
$4,207 | Props total: 2767 2767
Almost No One Is Making a Living on YouTube

One of the main attractions of YouTube is that anyone can become a star. There are no gatekeepers. No talent agents or television executives need to be won over. Stars can come from anywhere. And they do.

Forbes' recent list of the richest YouTubers is proof: It's filled with people who post clips about playing video games or kids playing with toys. The top spot went to Daniel Middleton, known as DanTDM. He's a 26-year-old British gamer - and he earned $16.5 million (approximately Rs. 100.7 crores) last year.

But a new study finds that the odds of striking it rich on Google-owned YouTube - or even making a modest living - are vanishingly small.

Reaching the top 3.5 percent of YouTube's most-viewed channels - hich means at least 1 million video views a month - is worth only about $12,000 (roughly Rs. 7.82 lakhs) to $16,000 (approximately Rs. 10.4 lakhs) a year in advertising revenue, according to Mathias Bartl, a professor at the Offenburg University of Applied Sciences in Germany, whose study is one of the first to probe YouTube data for clues about how it works for creators.

Bartl found that it's gotten harder for new creators to reach the top, as YouTube alone adds 300 hours of video every minute and the biggest stars become more successful. The median views per video has plummeted to 89 in 2016 from 10,262 a decade earlier. At the same time, YouTube's biggest channels are gobbling up more eyeballs. The top three percent of channels got 64 percent of all views in 2006. A decade later, the top channels took 90 percent.

YouTube did not immediately respond to a request to comment on the study.

What's happening on YouTube is occurring across the Internet, where creators are finding that long odds of success in the online world are not so different from IRL (Internet-speak for "in real life").

In fact, they might be worse.

visit this link https://gadgets.ndtv.com/ .. outube-1819240

128 comments for "Almost No One Is Making a Living on YouTube"

9 months ago '07        #2
21 1580 heat pts1580
space
space
$62,961 | Props total: 68177 68177
I wonder how much MKBHD is making? Enough to afford that fancy studio in Hobeken. Cuz the only other thing he does is play frisbee.

9 months ago '07        #3
Itzike 
space
space
$3,019 | Props total: 1177 1177
sh*t I’ll take an extra 12k to post some videos doing sh*t I love. Just wish I wasn’t a lame a.ss n*gga

9 months ago '09        #4
AC SLATER 73 heat pts73
space
space
$52,574 | Props total: 20883 20883
Good. Go earn an audience with actual talent.

9 months ago '17        #5
AllWins 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,690 | Props total: 4312 4312
This may be true, but most get money in other ways and YouTube is their combo/marketing.

Yea 12k comes from YouTube, but this just one piece of the pie youngins

9 months ago '10        #6
DeathStar 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,086 | Props total: 11764 11764
most of the people making money on youtube get paid through partner channels & sponsors

9 months ago '16        #7
ozzy1990 
space
space
space
$645 | Props total: 2010 2010
 Itzike said
sh*t I’ll take an extra 12k to post some videos doing sh*t I love. Just wish I wasn’t a lame a.ss n*gga
Meant to prop!

9 months ago '14        #8
Sphynx 161 heat pts161
space
space
$9,868 | Props total: 33103 33103
Odds of becoming a famous YouTuber in 2018 about the same (or less) than becoming a famous rapper

Both jobs that lazy and stupid people want to do so they don't have to apply themselves, but then realize it's a lot more work to get on than they thought

9 months ago '17        #9
LegendaryLegend 7 heat pts
space
space
$2,838 | Props total: 8957 8957
Good, get a real fu*king job.

9 months ago '17        #10
Thierry Henry 
space
space
$735 | Props total: 2105 2105
 st21 said
I wonder how much MKBHD is making? Enough to afford that fancy studio in Hobeken. Cuz the only other thing he does is play frisbee.
Don't all his videos he uploads nowadays automatically get a million views?

9 months ago '13        #11
Catlin 830 heat pts830
space
space
space
$33,871 | Props total: 11413 11413
Be weird

9 months ago '04        #12
Javon23 311 heat pts311
space
space
$50,596 | Props total: 19091 19091
What the article failed to mention is the fact that Youtube keeps changing their policy. Their last recent change k!lled a lot of channels
Starting back in January
Channels will now need 4,000 hours of annual viewing time and over 1,000 subscribers

9 months ago '15        #13
The Flyin Lion 155 heat pts155
space
space
$5,049 | Props total: 10808 10808
 ozzy1990 said
Meant to prop!
Meant to slap!

9 months ago '04        #14
R0CAF3LLA_pimp 52 heat pts52
space
space
$7,833 | Props total: 5578 5578
 st21 said
Didn’t he just graduate college? Plus homie come from money I think

9 months ago '06        #15
realgunta 833 heat pts833
space
space
$25,911 | Props total: 42991 42991
 Thierry Henry said
Don't all his videos he uploads nowadays automatically get a million views?
^yup

9 months ago '06        #16
realgunta 833 heat pts833
space
space
$25,911 | Props total: 42991 42991
i find that article a bit misleading

u CAN make a living off of Youtube

I guess they are only considering making millions. But many Youtubers can make around $50,000 to $100,000 annually just from videos alone. Idk, but that seems pretty good to me. i can easily get by with that sorta money in a year. Also that sorta job will allow you a LOT more free time, compared to a traditional type of job.

But yes, a lot of Youtubers get money from Youtube views, Patreon support, sponsored videos, live stream donations etc

So in the end yeah it can add up a LOT

Look at someone like Flossy Carter, he has a job and does Youtube as well. He doesnt have sponsored videos, but has over 700k subscribers. That sorta subscribers would easily pull in $5,000 a month

IMO, if u do Youtube and make at least $3,000 a month, then u should be able to make a living. Just think smart, live within YOUR means and use your extra free time WISELY.

9 months ago '17        #17
S550 1 heat pts
space
space
$643 | Props total: 1894 1894
 realgunta said
i find that article a bit misleading

u CAN make a living off of Youtube

I guess they are only considering making millions. But many Youtubers can make around $50,000 to $100,000 annually just from videos alone. Idk, but that seems pretty good to me. i can easily get by with that sorta money in a year. Also that sorta job will allow you a LOT more free time, compared to a traditional type of job.

But yes, a lot of Youtubers get money from Youtube views, Patreon support, sponsored videos, live stream donations etc

So in the end yeah it can add up a LOT

Look at someone like Flossy Carter, he has a job and does Youtube as well. He doesnt have sponsored videos, but has over 700k subscribers. That sorta subscribers would easily pull in $5,000 a month

IMO, if u do Youtube and make at least $3,000 a month, then u should be able to make a living. Just think smart, live within YOUR means and use your extra free time WISELY.
You have to live in the Carolinas , Detroit or Texas to make ends meet with 3k a month .. 3k In NY is my mortgage lol

9 months ago '04        #18
Big War|M 
space
space
$15,418 | Props total: 3471 3471
 Javon23 said
What the article failed to mention is the fact that Youtube keeps changing their policy. Their last recent change k!lled a lot of channels
Starting back in January
Channels will now need 4,000 hours of annual viewing time and over 1,000 subscribers
The article did say that... OP just didn't put it...

Now, YouTube is taking steps that make it even harder for creators at the bottom. The company recently said channels need to reach 1,000 subscribers and 4,000 hours of watch time over the last 12 months before they can start to earn money from ads. YouTube said the change is aimed at discouraging videos with objectionable or offensive content and that it would "affect a significant number of channels."

9 months ago '17        #19
TheE 7 heat pts
space
space
$2,273 | Props total: 3843 3843
DTude + you can see your money under the video

and

9 months ago '17        #20
Exodus 313 33 heat pts33
space
space
$5,817 | Props total: 11621 11621
Most people get donations from they subscribers and that can add up trust me

You got over 100k followers even if half of them only donate let's say 5 dollars you still good. Live shows I watch people get donation after donation and some people not cheap and will drop 20 or 40 dollars

9 months ago '17        #21
Fortune 156 heat pts156
space
space
$6,248 | Props total: 34613 34613
I think a lot of them go about their marketing the wrong way. they are too dependent on social media, blogs, and youtube alone for getting the word out about them. with the landscape changing you have to be willing to change the way you acquire new viewers. if they don't then they will prob just scrape the bottom. it's never about what you make, but who can you get to buy it.

and on another note...it's entirely too many hatin mf on here.

9 months ago '15        #22
AlmightySae 
space
space
$1,170 | Props total: 1369 1369
 R0CAF3LLA_pimp said
Didn’t he just graduate college? Plus homie come from money I think
He graduated college about a year or two ago I believe. I’m pretty sure YouTube Adsense and other sponsors also with debut clothing line is paying him well enough for him to buy a 13k iMac pro. I wonder if he gets paid by phone companies that he does his reviews on.

9 months ago '15        #23
TethNeb 
space
space
$116 | Props total: 266 266
This story smells, of fake news.

Why would this even be of importance and why use such dire language?

I remember a time with internet became the top draw for ad revenue (billions) and traditional media went, further, into decline. Isn't that normal industry life cycle type paradigm. You rise, plateau, and at some point go into decline.

I think the adpocalypse was a crafty strategy to halt or impede the rise of the internet and draw monies and focus away from internet sites like YT.

It was a master-stroke of marketing, strategy, and social engineering.

All of YT/Internet is bad, because a few people do socially or morally or ethically discreditable things.

So, some media person convinced some big ad groups to pull funds away; since being exposed as giving money to contemptible person x would reflect badly.

But only later did people realize, viewers have greater choice on internet/YT.

You can cease viewing or following with a click, but MSM you are stuck with what they offer.

It was pure genius in my opinion, a great business tactic.

But they have to keep the pressure up to completely destroy it and route people back to corporate and main stream sources.

And it continues with the changing YT policies, purge, exodus of content makers, and resurgence of sourcing clicks to/from MSM.

9 months ago '09        #24
MS.KRISSY 191 30 heat pts30
space
space
space
$12,424 | Props total: 8478 8478
 st21 said
He also mentioned in one video (awhile back) that he had trouble with companies understanding that he works for himself....basically, they don't really see YouTube as "self-employment". That's another reason it took him a while to get the studio.

9 months ago '04        #25
joker 171 heat pts171
space
space
$7,317 | Props total: 16213 16213
its one stream of income

smart people have plenty more.

Home      

most viewed right now
+94online now  58
The Best Pancakes Of The 90's
203 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+36online now  38
Video inside 20 Sports Hats You Should Never Wear In Los Angeles
117 comments
22 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
-107online now  34
Image(s) inside Nicki Minaj and felon bae break the internet
108 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+82online now  28
Image(s) inside Malania Trump Ain't Got Sh!t On This First Lady
58 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+30online now  21
NFL When your teammate says they don't like eating W's
29 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+157online now  15
NFL Rg3 loses maga haircut due to boxden jokes
100 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+31online now  13
Video inside First look at Sonic the Hedgehog in his upcoming 'live-action' movie an..
79 comments
24 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
online now  12
Image(s) inside Nickis new man already got me tooed
119 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy