Icelandic Breaks DJ Goes Digging in Iceland (Video) & Sampler

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

1 year ago '08        #1
232 page views
8 comments

WavyGnu 214 heat pts214
space
space
$9,943 | Props total: 26726 26726
Icelandic Breaks DJ Goes Digging in Iceland (Video) & Sampler

[video - click to view]

[video - click to view]

Buy Here Only 1000 being printed -
[pic - click to view]

https://www.fatbeats.com/ .. g-the-ice-2xcd

“I always wanted to tie all these records from the motherland into some sort of release, ever since I started messing around DJing in my teens,” says DJ Platurn, who originally came to the U.S. from Iceland. “They traveled over 4,000 miles and all over the West Coast of the U.S. until pops finally let me have ’em. He played some of ’em on his radio shows and the clubs and events he used to DJ at almost fifty years ago.”

Watch the premiere of the mini-documentary Breaking the Ice by Peter Magnusson (pka Kicker Dixon) above, and you can buy the mixtape here. It releases on March 23 via Needle to the Groove and will be sold as a 2xCD package that includes rare photos and liner notes from Wax Poetics scribe David Ma.

“My fascination eventually got serious enough that I started to dig much deeper,” Platurn continues. “Slim pickings and deep obscurity/rarity made finding the kind of stuff I like even more difficult. Finally I had enough. Magnus, excavating with my cousin Sveimhugi back home, and my own research culminated into a lifetime worth of vinyl tinkering.

“Iceland isn’t known for the funk, but anyone who’s a fan of the funk knows it can emit from the unlikeliest of places. Groove-based music is a feeling that comes [from] within, as a fan and a composer. No one’s ever put it that well into words. I’m not gonna attempt to either. It’s just that thing that makes finding soulful music on an island deep in the North Atlantic an actual possibility.”

Double disc all vinyl DJ mix packaged in 16 page high quality digibook with extensive liner notes, rare photos, & free download code. Limited to 1000 copies worldwide.

Breaking the Ice is an extended mix of rare—mostly never before heard—Icelandic tracks that are heavily underscored with funk, soul, disco, and in-the-pocket rhythms, all of which are expertly mixed by renowned DJ and turntablist, DJ Platurn. The music presented has been compiled through a lifetime of collecting, while others have been passed down through Platurn’s familial, musical roots. The packaging includes rare photos, via Platurn's father Magnus Thordarson, and other ephemera from Iceland's small yet vibrant music scene during the late 1960s thru the early 1980s. The release also features extensive liner notes by longtime music journalist David Ma, couching the music’s history as well and the region’s bygone era in which it arose.

"Whoa! This is funky…It’s like a rare music 101." - Prince Paul

"It's very rare when someone comes along and displays a genre of music so unique and inspiring that it makes you re-think how to collect music. DJ Platurn effortlessly mixes Icelandic Funk cold enough to bring our polar caps back!" - DJ Nu-Mark

“I have no idea what any of the words mean listening to this thing, but Platurn loaded it with extremely rare & groovy Icelandic music; and that I totally understand!” - DJ Z-Trip

"BTI is a cache of gorgeous, mostly unheard songs that ring both familiar and exotic, faraway yet American, grounded and brave. This expertly tailored mix shows Platurn's immense technicality, as well a tasteful awareness to let the music breath." - David Ma (The Guardian, Wax Poetics, Rollingstone.com)

image looks like a good series starting possibly.
@LA REID N FACE @Captain Freedom @timdog @jj01 @Dee Grande @Vercetti @Guvnor @rekshots @ddash @AlBooBoo @youngmic @Ash10 @KnicksLost @Clutch City Kid

@dOwnByLaw310 @kindabizzie @fatman @fallguy @AC SLATER

@Saiyaman @Cutty Olds @USC

@tRollin 60s @ItsAlwaysMe @driveslowhomie @The Originator @Tha Boss @Big Smoke FLA @Hellmatic @D34THW15H

@OldeEnglish22oz @Veno da Don @J Hilla @HIGH LVLD @vgdw @The TC
@1996 @786 @187Proof @RubbahBandMayn @HPKill @strungout @The Bully @madness @Shipwreck @thatnig22 @bigscore @Ace dealer @samich please @Dicemoney6 @ErnieB
@mjcry @Illuminati Bob @quan3106 @Japan @tokinjohn @Chris444 @rawchester @Player2 @Masterstothemax @smokeytheblunt2 @Bidam7 @Beejay @KindaBlue @CROWN @Vinyl @theillest11 @Toast2DaKing @fully_amazing @Big Bear @deadpres @consigliereA @deathStar @PlayMeSumPimpin @kevin Spacey @messy marv stan @iLurk @iswerve @The Boss @invaderchin @weed @TwinCaliber2kz @Ant McQueen @Rhyming Joints @deadpres @kronzsw @Knowledgeable @Flex Luger @PharaohKush @Tony Toni Tone @ @flipdipbone @Rockstar718 @dloc757 @ruddiger @CheebaHawk21 @DougTheMerciles @popogogo @kniv3smillions @maI @mad hatt3r @marx1684 @MJB @GravityEraser52 @marx1684 @Adwerdz @bradleyb87 @foestacks @AJtheGreat @Neohuey89 @JayStayPaid @Young Perm @Mr_GooD_NeWs @authenic @moth818 @D-Clutch @Reggie Noble 86 @C.R.I.P. @Machine @IllClinton @GREEDY BEATZ @Ron Swanson @Avon_Barksdale

8 comments for "Icelandic Breaks DJ Goes Digging in Iceland (Video) & Sampler"

1 year ago '04        #2
Adwerdz 414 heat pts414
space
space
$37,989 | Props total: 38160 38160
Dope tunes, good sampling digs too, dope find yo

1 year ago '16        #3
Bidam7 178 heat pts178
space
space
$25,117 | Props total: 60868 60868
Some Timeless music found this was great to watch props for this Wavygnu

1 year ago '08        #4
WavyGnu 214 heat pts214 OP
space
space
 Bidam7 said
Some Timeless music found this was great to watch props for this Wavygnu
One of these days soon, I'm going to post something & you are going to say "what the fu*k is this sh*t? this ain't timeless! Don't post that garbage, wavy. my head hurts now! "

That's the odds,

1 year ago '16        #5
Bidam7 178 heat pts178
space
space
$25,117 | Props total: 60868 60868
 WavyGnu said
One of these days soon, I'm going to post something & you are going to say "what the fu*k is this sh*t? this ain't timeless! Don't post that garbage, wavy. my head hurts now! "

That's the odds,
Nah never man u post good stuff im always digging it not that i ain't say wtf i come across the same things as u do pretty much.I just don't post it don't wanna riff off of u which is why i never made a page i be like wavy the teacher did that so i pretty much store it on my hardrive and terabyte. Im digging now as i'm talking to u all the time I try not to say too much to overpower what u have on ur page i remember one time i revealed something u said wait let em hear it first before u do that
Timeless Music props for this

Last edited by Bidam7; 02-28-2018 at 05:29 AM..

1 year ago '05        #6
kronzsw 59 heat pts59
space
space
$7,082 | Props total: 13743 13743
Bro!!!! This is 100% fire

1 year ago '08        #7
WavyGnu 214 heat pts214 OP
space
space
 kronzsw said
Bro!!!! This is 100% fire
Dont sleep, Fat Beats probably going to sell out with this comp from this dj. 1000 copies won't last the year if they packaged everything right. Which I'm a*suming he did.

1 year ago '16        #8
DougTheMerciles 
space
space
$634 | Props total: 639 639

we dont deserve you mane

1 year ago '17        #9
Tony Outlaw 20 heat pts20
space
space
$2,445 | Props total: 2803 2803
A lot of heat here, props for sharing man

Home      

most viewed right now
+24online now  43
Image(s) inside Shorty from tory lanez video
35 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+95online now  42
The RATCHETS in Miami Beach was CUTTING UP for Spring Break 2019.
260 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
online now  27
NBA Dwayne Wades son werks the runway better than Tyra Banks
83 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+145online now  11
Image(s) inside Come Get Your Auntie Before I Fvck Her, Bruh