Where are the MLB Games on the Xbox One?

most viewed right now
Big Gipp Exposes What REALLY Happened Between Pimp C & Master P Forcing P TO L..
52 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Rockets confirm right hamstring injury for Chris Paul, will be re-evaluate..
38 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Finished my 18 years of child support
20 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
So Kanye Dug Up Whitney Houston's Grave And Spit In Her Face Scust
89 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 3 months ago '16        #1
2190 pageviews
52 comments

Givenchyx 216 heat pts216
space
space
$1,773 | Props total: 7500 7500
Where are the MLB Games on the Xbox One?

Xbox owners have not had any quality Major League Baseball (MLB) games since MVP Baseball 2005. Playstation owners on the other hand have been able to enjoy the MLB: The Show series. In fact, there has only been one Major League Baseball series available for the Xbox One, the abysmal R.B.I. Baseball series. At least during the Xbox 360 years, the MLB 2K series of games was available, but that series ended with MLB 2K13. Why haven’t there been any good MLB games available for the Xbox platform in over ten years? The answer to that question involves football and licensing agreements.

What Did the MLB Games Landscape Look Like During Earlier Generations?
During the Xbox and Playstation 2 generation, there were several options for Xbox owners to play an MLB game. The two with the largest market share were the MVP Baseball series and the MLB 2K series (previously ESPN Major League Baseball). The two game franchises competed for sales like the Madden and 2K football games competed prior to the 2005 season.

In 2005, MVP Baseball was in its third year and built upon the strong foundation of MVP Baseball 2004. The MVP Baseball series was the reigning champion and received great reviews again that year (it has a Metacritic score of 87 on PS2 and 86 on Xbox). It added new innovations such as the Hitter’s Eye, three levels of Minor League Baseball teams and an in-depth Owner Mode. These were large leaps in terms of gameplay and features.

While the Xbox always had several options for MLB games, the Xbox 360 only had one serious game each year, MLB 2K. By all accounts, the 2K series of games was not good and took a huge step back from where the MVP series left off.

MVP Baseball 2003

MVP Baseball 2004

MVP Baseball 2005

MVP Baseball 2005 was the final MLB game made by EA Sports..

Football and Licensing Deals

In 2004, EA Sports released Madden 2005 (91 Metacritic score) and Take-Two Interactive released ESPN NFL 2K5 (92 Metacritic score). Both games received very high scores and had been competing against one another for a couple of years. Madden had the name recognition and deep history with gamers. The NFL 2K series was much newer and not as well regarded. All of this changed with NFL 2K5. Its reviews were better than that year’s Madden, and it also included ESPN branding and a SportsCenter-like feature.

NFL 2K5 also had one huge advantage over Madden; its retail price started at $19.99, while Madden’s price was $49.99. This price point definitely drove sales, and most likely contributed to more gamers trying it over Madden than would have if they had the same price. During this console era, most games started at $49.99, so it wasn’t that Madden was over-priced, it was that ESPN NFL 2K5 was much cheaper than anything else on the market (this also applied to that year’s 2K NHL and NBA games).

I remember this battle well, with the Terrell Owens commercials, and the focus on the price. The only reason I went with Madden that year was because you could import draft classes from NCAA Football 2005 (another game no longer available, but for a very different reason). If it hadn’t been for this feature, I probably would have picked up ESPN NFL 2K5 due to the good reviews and lower price point.

What do Football Games Have to do With MLB Games?

Why does the war between Madden 2005 and NFL 2K5 matter in an article about MLB games? One word: licensing. Due to the success of NFL 2K5, Electronic Arts snapped up the exclusive license for the NFL and the NFLPA (it also had the NCAA license). This effectively ended the NFL 2K series. Because of EA’s actions, 2K grabbed the license for the MLB and the MLBPA. The move effectively k!lled both the MVP and ESPN NFL 2K series of games. Many would argue that the companies got it backwards; EA should have gotten the MLB license and 2K the NFL one. The license agreement between the NFL and EA Sports actually led to a class action lawsuit. The foundation of the suit was that the deal k!lled off the only other competitor for NFL games, which also happened to be priced much lower. EA settled the lawsuit, and ended up paying gamers who had bought Madden and NCAA Football games in the subsequent years.

Where Are We Now? Are There Any MLB Games for the Xbox One?

MLB 2K5

MLB 2K6

MLB 2K7

MLB 2K8

MLB 2K9

MLB 2K10

MLB 2K11

MLB 2K12

MLB 2K13

MLB 2K13 was the last iteration of the series on the Xbox 360 and did not appear on the Xbox One..

With the competition for the games effectively k!lled, both Madden and MLB 2K started declining from year to year. For the most part, both games only made minor tweaks and updated rosters. It got so bad for MLB 2K, that literally the only change from MLB 2K12 to MLB 2K13 was a roster update. In fact, 2K Sports took out online play for the 2K13 version, so it was an even worse version. And, contrary to what they did in 2004 with NFL 2K5, they still sold it for the full new game price ($59.99).

Having played the MLB 2K games, I can say that they didn’t hold a candle to MVP Baseball 2005. They were barely playable and the only redeeming quality to them in my eyes was that they had a “My Player” mode. In this mode, you took control of a single player and tried to make him into a Hall of Famer. Even this mode had its issues. For example, playing defense was not very fun. I played a shortstop and the only time I’d actually play in the field was when there was a possibility of the ball being hit in my general direction. It was not the best experience. Pitching also never felt quite right, especially compared to the great pitching mechanics from MVP Baseball 2005. One of my friends in college always said that you could judge the quality by the smoothness of a double-play animation. MVP Baseball 2005 passed this test; the 2K series did not.

MLB The Show 17

MLB The Show 18

MLB: The Show is still going strong with the 2017 edition & Soon to come MLB The Show the 2018 edition (March 27, 2018)

Sony was able to keep making MLB: The Show due to how the licensing agreement was structured, and it quickly ascended to the top of the MLB game market. The game has continued to innovate and has a dedicated following on the Playstation platform. The final year of MLB 2K was 2013 and, as explained above, that wasn’t even a full game. Since MLB 2K13, there has only been one serious baseball game on the Xbox 360 and Xbox One: R.B.I. Baseball. Major League Baseball publishes R.B.I. Baseball, which is not known for video games… The game is not very good, and that is being generous. The games are so bad that most reviewers don’t even bother to review it. There are currently 3 Metacritic reviews, and they are not generous.

What’s Next?

EA has stated that they would like to make a new version of MVP Baseball, but it would need a new engine and that likely won’t happen anytime soon. In 2013, EA Sports Executive Vice President told Polygon that, “there is an inherent passion for baseball inside EA Sports,” so there is always a chance it may come back. The exclusive license for MLB 2K ended in 2012, so that is no longer a barrier for entry.

Until EA decides to make a new MVP Baseball game, I don’t believe there will be a serious baseball game on the Xbox One. This is a shame because there is a market for baseball games, which the success of Playstation’s MLB: The Show makes clear. There are reports of people who have bought Playstations just to be able to play The Show, and it is too bad that Xbox owners can’t have a similar experience. So, here is hoping that EA Sports can get its act together and create a new MVP Baseball that runs on modern hardware.

In 2006, EA published MVP ’06: NCAA Baseball instead of MLB due to licensing issues. While MVP 06 was fun, it didn’t have the same draw as 2005.
The Hitter’s Eye feature highlighted pitches based on which type of pitch was being thrown. It helped the player know if a fastball or breaking ball was coming. Some pitchers would “tip” their pitches much earlier than others, which was a huge advantage to the player.
The BIGS did release in 2007, but this was an arcade style game and not a serious baseball game.
The exclusive license only applied to 3rd Party publishers like Take-Two Interactive and EA Sports. This is how Sony was able to publish MLB: The Show. Even though the no longer had the MLB license, EA still produced a baseball game in 2006. They used their NCAA license to create an NCAA version of MVP, which while fun, did not have the same feel as the MLB version.

Article By Nate Johns

visit this link http://mulehorngaming.com .. -the-xbox-one/
Kingme and 13 others gave props

hellboy313 and 2 others slapped this ish

52 comments for "Where are the MLB Games on the Xbox One?"

3 months ago '05        #2
WCIB 116 heat pts116
space
space
$25,766 | Props total: 10969 10969
I think this hurts baseball more than MS/Xbox. Those Show games on the PlayStation are fu*king excellent and they’d be a notch below FIFA if they were on EVERY console including PC. The NBA and NFL stay in the consciousness of the youth and gamers of all ages by releasing games everywhere.

The MLB needs to address this before their sport continues to get aged out
Kingme and 18 others gave props

3 months ago '06        #3
Jhnnyblz427 188 heat pts188
space
space
$38,101 | Props total: 24136 24136
 WCIB said:
I think this hurts baseball more than MS/Xbox. Those Show games on the PlayStation are fu*king excellent and they’d be a notch below FIFA if they were on EVERY console including PC. The NBA and NFL stay in the consciousness of the youth and gamers of all ages by releasing games everywhere.

This doesn’t hurt baseball at all, they don’t have to address nothing concerning video games lol. Xbox has R.B.I. baseball so I’m sure mlb is fine
SlimReaper2324 and 5 others slapped this ish

3 months ago '05        #4
WCIB 116 heat pts116
space
space
$25,766 | Props total: 10969 10969
 Jhnnyblz427 said:
This doesn’t hurt baseball at all, they don’t have to address nothing concerning video games lol. Xbox has R.B.I. baseball so I’m sure mlb is fine
If you think that game is anywhere near The Show’s level then that just proves my point even more.
realgunta and 3 others gave props

3 months ago '04        #5
1000bluntz 
space
space
$18,260 | Props total: 15546 15546
 WCIB said:

The Show is the best sports game out there and easily. I wish these dudes made football, basketball, and hockey too
Jhnnyblz427 and 12 others gave props

3 months ago '09        #6
Tiko377 1914 heat pts1914
space
space
$16,050 | Props total: 10318 10318
 WCIB said:

Baseball been getting "aged" out they lucky tho last year's post season was amazing.

This year's off season seems very interesting
MOTTAFOOKAH gave props

shortdog26 and 1 others slapped this ish

3 months ago '11        #7
DRAGONFLY JONES 132 heat pts132
space
space
$9,327 | Props total: 4397 4397
The show brought out the mbl contract just like madden brought out nfl.. So until that contract is up or changes.. Anyone that makes a football or baseball game on console will have to create their own league and players.. Fuked up 2kbasball was my sht.. Don't know where that contract stand now but that was the explanation I was given and read about when they stopped making 2k football and baseball

Last edited by DRAGONFLY JONES; 02-12-2018 at 10:32 AM..
Jhnnyblz427 and 4 others gave props

BluRevolver slapped this ish

3 months ago '04        #8
CrAkKedOuT 989 heat pts989
space
space
space
$24,354 | Props total: 16709 16709
X1 has Rbi baseball
Jhnnyblz427 gave props

Burg Boy and 3 others slapped this ish

3 months ago '04        #9
dirtybayrecordz 1 heat pts
space
space
$3,341 | Props total: 2238 2238
The same place where all the boxing games are at
westsidedon and 4 others gave props

3 months ago '10        #10
WhoNextWithPlex 40 heat pts40
space
space
$10,108 | Props total: 8306 8306
 DRAGONFLY JONES said:
The show brought out the mbl contract just like madden brought out nfl.. So until that contract is up or changes.. Anyone that makes a football or baseball game on console will have to create their own league and players.. Fuked up 2kbasball was my sht.. Don't know where that contract stand now but that was the explanation I was given and read about when they stopped making 2k football and baseball
No, SDS didnt buy out the rights to MLB licencing like Madden. 2K just stopped making the game because it wasnt profitable. OOTP uses MLB licencing, and so do a few other games.

I think you mean that Sony owns the exclusive rights to SDS studios, which is the developer who makes The Show franchise, and so The Show will never make it to Xbox or any other platform, but SDS doesnt own exclusive rights to the MLB. Its just an expensive licence to own, which is why 2k couldnt justify making anymore games.
ThePainkiller and 4 others gave props

3 months ago '04        #11
D.IrIsH 346 heat pts346
space
space
$5,636 | Props total: 8202 8202
Jhnnyblz427 gave props

3 months ago '11        #12
DRAGONFLY JONES 132 heat pts132
space
space
$9,327 | Props total: 4397 4397
 WhoNextWithPlex said:
No, SDS didnt buy out the rights to MLB licencing like Madden. 2K just stopped making the game because it wasnt profitable. OOTP uses MLB licencing, and so do a few other games.

I think you mean that Sony owns the exclusive rights to SDS studios, which is the developer who makes The Show franchise, and so The Show will never make it to Xbox or any other platform, but SDS doesnt own exclusive rights to the MLB. Its just an expensive licence to own, which is why 2k couldnt justify making anymore games.
OK... Like I said thats what I was told years ago.. I don't know.. Never really cared to look into it once I knew we it was gone..nothing against Playstation..but I always liked Xbox online network better so I never really got into the show but I was always the best baseball game
realgunta gave props

3 months ago '05        #13
MP 52 heat pts52
space
space
$26,176 | Props total: 9658 9658
Roy Halladay
REG773 and 3 others gave props

pac_f slapped this ish

3 months ago '12        #14
BrokenSafety 40 heat pts40
space
space
$4,675 | Props total: 3100 3100
RBI 18 is being made by a new developer it's supposed to be better it won't be anywhere near the show but but it's been improving and it's only like 30$ at launch
 3 months ago '04        #15
erickonasis 21 heat pts21
space
space
$28,774 | Props total: 22639 22639
 CrAkKedOuT said:
X1 has Rbi baseball
Jhnnyblz427 and 3 others gave props

3 months ago '06        #16
SharpenUrSword 4 heat pts
space
space
$10,799 | Props total: 5577 5577
yea xbox does need a baseball game, its frustrating
realgunta and 2 others gave props

3 months ago '07        #17
jhj26 54 heat pts54
space
space
$15,981 | Props total: 1834 1834
 1000bluntz said:
The Show is the best sports game out there and easily. I wish these dudes made football, basketball, and hockey too

[video - click to view]

D1nOnlyMrM@ gave props

3 months ago '04        #18
tnice 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,798 | Props total: 4901 4901
I miss the OG days when we had 3 or 4 NBA,NFL and MLB titles to choose from
realgunta and 7 others gave props

3 months ago '06        #19
realgunta 749 heat pts749
space
space
$22,978 | Props total: 27734 27734
hold up....im reading the messages u guys posted and i have honestly never heard of a video game called RBI Baseball
BLACK FIST and 1 others slapped this ish

3 months ago '16        #20
postemupndunkit 
space
space
space
$3,397 | Props total: 10133 10133
 1000bluntz said:
Facts
Jhnnyblz427 and 2 others gave props

Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside You like t**ties? You'll like these ones... MILFY
33 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside May 23 - tough on crime republican state representative cries when caug..
56 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
May 23 - 7-Eleven Planning To Sell CBD Products in 4,000 Locations
71 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
condoms are lame as fu-k
64 comments
1 day ago