Google may bring RCS to Android Message w/o Carrier Approval

most viewed right now
Big Gipp Exposes What REALLY Happened Between Pimp C & Master P Forcing P TO L..
52 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Rockets confirm right hamstring injury for Chris Paul, will be re-evaluate..
38 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Finished my 18 years of child support
20 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
So Kanye Dug Up Whitney Houston's Grave And Spit In Her Face Scust
89 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 3 months ago '07        #1
1757 pageviews
46 comments

st21 1373 heat pts1373
space
space
$58,765 | Props total: 53250 53250
Google may bring RCS to Android Message w/o Carrier Approval

What’s more interesting is an apparent promotional stress from Google to try and send text messages over WiFi, as well as other RCS-like features. It appears as if Google may just start building out RCS features into Android Messages without carrier support, since carriers aren’t exactly rushing to join their party. Code within the app talks about enabling an upgraded chat experience that is “powered by Google,” where you can send messages over WiFi, see when friends are typing, and share high-quality messages.

For those not familiar, RCS (Rich Communication Services) is super-powered text messaging, in a way, that does all of the stuff I just mentioned. Up until this point, carriers had to provide some of the support for using RCS in order for you to get access to those features in Android Messages. If this update is hinting at the future, Google may not be waiting around any longer and instead may be creating its own iMessage…finally.
Y.G. and 5 others gave props

46 comments for "Google may bring RCS to Android Message w/o Carrier Approval"

3 months ago '04        #2
R0CAF3LLA_pimp 42 heat pts42
space
space
$7,368 | Props total: 4498 4498
1OverJordan24 gave props

Y.G. and 3 others slapped this ish

3 months ago '05        #3
Y.G. 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$42,772 | Props total: 17023 17023
I think dude at Android Police, who did the teardown of the new apk, misinterpreted the lines of text.

Where things get really interesting is that Google is offering to provide some of the services rather than leaving them up to carriers. One line even specifies that "chat features are powered by Google," which makes it sound like Google may be offering to act as the intermediary for your messaging.

[pic - click to view]

I think this is the part of the RCS guidelines that let 3rd-parties, like Textra, make universal RCS compatible apps. I can see other text apps having similar taglines.
st21 and 2 others gave props

3 months ago '04        #4
Fresh Beats 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,504 | Props total: 2280 2280
They should've had this in like 2015. They gave us most of the stuff we wanted for messaging, but in like 3 separate apps.
Y.G. and 3 others gave props

TheNetworkBlast slapped this ish

3 months ago '16        #5
JSN 1 heat pts
space
space
$152 | Props total: 732 732
I was a huge Android fan for years, I've owned so many flagships I wouldn't be able to recall half of them... but god damn, this is a situation that's so pathetic and inexcusable by now

Google has known for YEEEAAAARS that one of the main pulls of iOS in the US is iMessage. They haven't made a single smart move in that realm yet. All those stupid messaging apps they're always releasing, discontinuing, re-purposing, etc. And they think an everyday iPhone user is going to deal with that bullsh*t? That's if Google could even get them to switch in the first place, which they still have done a sh*t job of doing (in terms of an attractive messaging client).

And now they're back on this RCS protocol, which has been rumored and discussed for years as well. I'm tired of hearing about it tbh, and we know it's still gonna be fu*ked up somehow and still won't result in a good iMessage competitor.

As much as I'm into phones/technology, I still can't fathom how Google has managed to fu*k this up for so long, and in such an embarrassing way. iMessage hasn't even had that many crazy features all this time. Google barely had to do anything to make a good competitor. Just finally flip the fu*king switch on RCS and give users typing status/read receipts already. I'm so tired of hearing about Google's new conundrums with this sh*t
Fresh Beats and 5 others gave props

messy marv stan slapped this ish

3 months ago '05        #6
Y.G. 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
 JSN said:
I was a huge Android fan for years, I've owned so many flagships I wouldn't be able to recall half of them... but god damn, this is a situation that's so pathetic and inexcusable by now

Google has known for YEEEAAAARS that one of the main pulls of iOS in the US is iMessage. They haven't made a single smart move in that realm yet. All those stupid messaging apps they're always releasing, discontinuing, re-purposing, etc. And they think an everyday iPhone user is going to deal with that bullsh*t? That's if Google could even get them to switch in the first place, which they still have done a sh*t job of doing (in terms of an attractive messaging client).

And now they're back on this RCS protocol, which has been rumored and discussed for years as well. I'm tired of hearing about it tbh, and we know it's still gonna be fu*ked up somehow and still won't result in a good iMessage competitor.

As much as I'm into phones/technology, I still can't fathom how Google has managed to fu*k this up for so long, and in such an embarrassing way. iMessage hasn't even had that many crazy features all this time. Google barely had to do anything to make a good competitor. Just finally flip the fu*king switch on RCS and give users typing status/read receipts already. I'm so tired of hearing about Google's new conundrums with this sh*t
Universal RCS is enabled for certain carriers already. Sprint is the first so far in the US The problem is the carriers themselves. Google should have just made Hangouts/Allo have SMS as a fallback and called it a day. Much easier than relying on US carriers to implement RCS.
P-Hill|M and 2 others gave props

3 months ago '16        #7
JSN 1 heat pts
space
space
$152 | Props total: 732 732
 Y.G. said:
Universal RCS is enabled for certain carriers already. Sprint is the first so far in the US The problem is the carriers themselves. Google should have just made Hangouts/Allo have SMS as a fallback and called it a day. Much easier than relying on US carriers to implement RCS.
That's true, I remember hearing about Sprint doing it a while ago. I guess I should say the blame falls on Google for many reasons and the carriers for many other reasons.

US carriers been known to be sh*theads
 3 months ago '17        #8
Jermz 7 heat pts
space
space
$1,144 | Props total: 3066 3066
Hangouts was perfect not sure whey they gave us 4 different messaging apps.
Mr Scaramucci and 2 others gave props

3 months ago '04        #9
murdahudawg 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,215 | Props total: 1075 1075
When I stopped putting new roms on droid phones I became open to iPhone and made the switch.

The only thing I like about iPhone is iMessage and some of the apps ...
I like being able to group chat with my fam. (iMessage)
If they found a way to level the playing field or god forbid be able to integrate people with iPhones into their chat clients I probably would switch back.

iPhone be 46 years late on features and the cameras have not been winning for years now idk
I'm comfortable tho on this 6s+
Mr Scaramucci and 1 others gave props

3 months ago '17        #10
justin747 12 heat pts12
space
space
$3,147 | Props total: 13478 13478
 JSN said:
That's true, I remember hearing about Sprint doing it a while ago. I guess I should say the blame falls on Google for many reasons and the carriers for many other reasons.

US carriers been known to be sh*theads
I agree but I say it's all on the carriers. They shouldn't need Google or any other company to upgrade the SMS standard. They should have upgraded SMS features years ago.

Now Google is to blame for fu*king up Android messaging with all these half a.ssed messaging apps, but Google wouldn't have even needed to create RCS if the carriers would get their sh*t together and agree on a new standard.
LYTE gave props

3 months ago '17        #11
justin747 12 heat pts12
space
space
 Y.G. said:
I think dude at Android Police, who did the teardown of the new apk, misinterpreted the lines of text.

Where things get really interesting is that Google is offering to provide some of the services rather than leaving them up to carriers. One line even specifies that "chat features are powered by Google," which makes it sound like Google may be offering to act as the intermediary for your messaging.

[pic - click to view]

I think this is the part of the RCS guidelines that let 3rd-parties, like Textra, make universal RCS compatible apps. I can see other text apps having similar taglines.
If this is going to work in the web, Google will have to have something on the back end to at least forward SMS to the browser. They broke down the code on Android Police.

<string name="action_scan_qr_code">Messages for web</string>
<string name="qr_welcome_banner_url_text">On your computer, go to %s</string>
<string name="qr_welcome_button_text">Scan QR code</string>

<string name="qr_welcome_bottom_text">Use your phone to scan the QR code on your computer screen</string>

[pic - click to view]

<string name="conversation_list_fast_track_popup_title">New! Text over Wi‑Fi and data</string>

<string name="conversation_list_fast_track_paragraph">Plus get other chat features from Google like high-quality photo sharing. By continuing, you agree to the %1$s.</string>

[pic - click to view]

So if this code is accurate, they have to have some kind of backend setup that allows SMS forwarding, or SMS fallback when the Google services fail. The former is basically what iMessage is.

The bad news is I think this is probably something exclusive to Project Fi. I'm hoping I'm wrong tho.
 3 months ago '05        #12
Y.G. 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
 justin747 said:
If this is going to work in the web, Google will have to have something on the back end to at least forward SMS to the browser. They broke down the code on Android Police.

<string name="action_scan_qr_code">Messages for web</string>
<string name="qr_welcome_banner_url_text">On your computer, go to %s</string>
<string name="qr_welcome_button_text">Scan QR code</string>

<string name="qr_welcome_bottom_text">Use your phone to scan the QR code on your computer screen</string>

[pic - click to view]

<string name="conversation_list_fast_track_popup_title">New! Text over Wi‑Fi and data</string>

<string name="conversation_list_fast_track_paragraph">Plus get other chat features from Google like high-quality photo sharing. By continuing, you agree to the %1$s.</string>

[pic - click to view]

So if this code is accurate, they have to have some kind of backend setup that allows SMS forwarding, or SMS fallback when the Google services fail. The former is basically what iMessage is.

The bad news is I think this is probably something exclusive to Project Fi. I'm hoping I'm wrong tho.
The syncing SMS to the web portion of code is separate from RCS. It's similar to what Allo does today to sync messages onto a desktop.
 3 months ago '09        #13
messy marv stan 4698 heat pts4698
space
space
$60,805 | Props total: 85201 85201
apple vs android stans part who gives a sh*t

a $654 iphone works just as good as a $35 android

slap away d!cklickers
OgieOgilthorpe6 gave props

st21 slapped this ish

3 months ago '05        #14
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space
$37,974 | Props total: 12642 12642
 messy marv stan said:
apple vs android stans part who gives a sh*t

a $654 iphone works just as good as a $35 android

slap away d!cklickers
You the homie but this thread is far from that
messy marv stan and 1 others gave props

Y.G. slapped this ish

3 months ago '05        #15
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space
$37,974 | Props total: 12642 12642
 Y.G. said:
The syncing SMS to the web portion of code is separate from RCS. It's similar to what Allo does today to sync messages onto a desktop.
Yeah I think Allo is using the CRS standard that Qualcomm introduced a few years ago. If I'm not mistaken, it uses the Axium protocol to create a private bridge between the phone and carriers for high bandwidth messaging
Y.G. gave props

3 months ago '11        #16
Slingy 59 heat pts59
space
space
$4,723 | Props total: 3659 3659
2018 still cant text an hd gif or 10+ sec video on android without compressing it smh
VictoryThagr8 and 1 others slapped this ish

3 months ago '17        #17
justin747 12 heat pts12
space
space
 Y.G. said:
Sorta...

Technically everything in all the code reads like they're separating primary messaging from the carrier SMS standard, but keeping everything within the same app instead of the split like Allo. That's what the "text over wifi and data" means. The app would use your phone number as the "username" and all text messages would pass through Google's servers via data/wifi instead of the carrier, and the app would just use traditional SMS as a fall back when data/wifi aren't available. This is how iMessage and Samsung Advanced Messaging both work.

Basically what it looks like they're doing is using the RCS code, but just going around the carriers. I skipped a few lines of code that explain everything better.

<string name="conversation_list_rcs_promo_subtitle">Turn on chat features like messaging over Wi-Fi and more</string>

<string name="conversation_list_rcs_promo_subtitle_1">Plus you can text over Wi-Fi, share high-quality photos, and more</string>

<string name="conversation_list_rcs_promo_subtitle_2">Plus you can share high-quality photos and more</string>

<string name="conversation_list_rcs_promo_subtitle_3">Plus you can text over Wi-Fi, see when friends read your messages, and more</string>

<string name="conversation_list_rcs_promo_subtitle_4">Upgrade messages to get the latest texting features</string>

<string name="conversation_list_rcs_promo_title_1">New! See when friends are typing</string>

<string name="conversation_list_rcs_promo_title_2">New! Text over Wi-Fi and data</string>

<string name="conversation_list_rcs_promo_title_3">New! Share high-quality photos</string>

<string name="conversation_list_rcs_promo_title_4">Want to text over Wi-Fi?</string>

<string name="conversation_list_rcs_promo_button_negative_ sms_only">Use SMS Only</string>

<string name="conversation_list_rcs_promo_button_negative_ no_sms_only">No, Use SMS Only</string>

<string name="conversation_list_rcs_promo_button_negative_ dont_upgrade">Don\'t Upgrade App</string>

[pic - click to view]

3 months ago '17        #18
justin747 12 heat pts12
space
space
 Slingy said:
2018 still cant text an hd gif or 10+ sec video on android without compressing it smh
It's mostly the carriers fault.

Apple gets props for catching this first. Basically what happened is Google decided to use the carrier standard SMS, and Apple bypassed the carriers and made their own sh*t.

The carriers will NEVER agree with each other on a new standard so Google needs to copy Apple and create their own standard.
Slingy and 1 others gave props

3 months ago '11        #19
Slingy 59 heat pts59
space
space
$4,723 | Props total: 3659 3659
 justin747 said:
It's mostly the carriers fault.

Apple gets props for catching this first. Basically what happened is Google decided to use the carrier standard SMS, and Apple bypassed the carriers and made their own sh*t.

The carriers will NEVER agree with each other on a new standard so Google needs to copy Apple and create their own standard.
yes i know 100% about it. I prefer an android over an iphone but nothing beats imessage BUT nothing beats a jailbroken iphone
 3 months ago '05        #20
Y.G. 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
 justin747 said:
Sorta...

Technically everything in all the code reads like they're separating primary messaging from the carrier SMS standard, but keeping everything within the same app instead of the split like Allo. That's what the "text over wifi and data" means. The app would use your phone number as the "username" and all text messages would pass through Google's servers via data/wifi instead of the carrier, and the app would just use traditional SMS as a fall back when data/wifi aren't available. This is how iMessage and Samsung Advanced Messaging both work.

Basically what it looks like they're doing is using the RCS code, but just going around the carriers. I skipped a few lines of code that explain everything better.

<string name="conversation_list_rcs_promo_subtitle">Turn on chat features like messaging over Wi-Fi and more</string>

<string name="conversation_list_rcs_promo_subtitle_1">Plus you can text over Wi-Fi, share high-quality photos, and more</string>

<string name="conversation_list_rcs_promo_subtitle_2">Plus you can share high-quality photos and more</string>

<string name="conversation_list_rcs_promo_subtitle_3">Plus you can text over Wi-Fi, see when friends read your messages, and more</string>

<string name="conversation_list_rcs_promo_subtitle_4">Upgrade messages to get the latest texting features</string>

<string name="conversation_list_rcs_promo_title_1">New! See when friends are typing</string>

<string name="conversation_list_rcs_promo_title_2">New! Text over Wi-Fi and data</string>

<string name="conversation_list_rcs_promo_title_3">New! Share high-quality photos</string>

<string name="conversation_list_rcs_promo_title_4">Want to text over Wi-Fi?</string>

<string name="conversation_list_rcs_promo_button_negative_ sms_only">Use SMS Only</string>

<string name="conversation_list_rcs_promo_button_negative_ no_sms_only">No, Use SMS Only</string>

<string name="conversation_list_rcs_promo_button_negative_ dont_upgrade">Don\'t Upgrade App</string>

[pic - click to view]

This is where I believe the author misinterpreted the strings. You can't integrate SMS fallbacks without the carrier. RCS apps (Jibe, the company Google bought comes to mind) independent of carriers have been done before. None have SMS integration.

What's more likely is that Google is branding its app as pretty soon 3rd-party SMS apps will be able to do the same. The API isn't public yet but once it is, you'll get apps like Textra hooking into to it and using similar "enhance chat powered Textra" lines.
justin747 gave props

Jody slapped this ish

Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside You like t**ties? You'll like these ones... MILFY
33 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside May 23 - tough on crime republican state representative cries when caug..
56 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
May 23 - 7-Eleven Planning To Sell CBD Products in 4,000 Locations
71 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
condoms are lame as fu-k
64 comments
1 day ago