Phone-addicted teens aren’t as happy as those who play sports and hang out IRL

most viewed right now
+45  35
93 comments @hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

1 year ago '06        #1
1129 page views
19 comments

1OverJordan24 237 heat pts237
space
space
$4,208 | Props total: 2767 2767
Phone-addicted teens aren’t as happy as those who play sports and hang out IRL

To no parent’s surprise, too much smartphone use makes teens unhappy.

So says a new study from San Diego State University, which pulled data from over one million 8th-, 10th-, and 12th-graders in the U.S. showing teens who spent more time on social media, gaming, texting and video-chatting on their phones were not as happy as those who played sports, went outside and interacted with real human beings.

But is it the screen time bringing them down or are sadder teens more likely to insulate themselves in a virtual world? Lead author of the study and professor of psychology Jean M. Twenge believes it’s the phone that contributes to making them unhappy, not the other way around.

“Although this study can’t show causation, several other studies have shown that more social media use leads to unhappiness, but unhappiness does not lead to more social media use,” Twenge said.

Though abstinence doesn’t seem to fix the problem, either, as noted in the study, there’s something to Twenge’s theory. Another recent study by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and also lead by Twenge, found a spike in depression and suicide among teen girls increased the more time they spent on their phones.

That’s alarming, especially considering the age in which kids get smartphones has continued to climb lower — dropping from 12 in 2012 to 10.3 years in 2016.

Twenge has been studying teen behavior since the early 90’s and has been on the forefront of research suggesting an abrupt change in behavior and emotional states of teenagers due to smartphone use. She says there’s been a dramatic shift starting in 2012 when younger and younger kids starting getting more screen time.

Researchers found more of the same while sifting through the data for this study. Teenagers’ life satisfaction, self-esteem and happiness plummeted after 2012.

To back up that work, Twenge’s previous studies suggest kids who spend at least four or five hours on their phone increase their risk factor for suicide by a whopping 71 percent, regardless of whether it was cat videos or something else. It was the time spent on the device, not the content, that mattered most.

“By far the largest change in teens’ lives between 2012 and 2016 was the increase in the amount of time they spent on digital media, and the subsequent decline in in-person social activities and sleep,” Twenge said. “The key to digital media use and happiness is limited use.”

She suggests teens aim to spend no more than two hours a day on digital media, exercise more and try to hang out with friends face-to-face to increase happiness — all things adults could probably use more of as well.

visit this link https://techcrunch.com/20 .. tudy-suggests/

19 comments for "Phone-addicted teens aren’t as happy as those who play sports and hang out IRL"

1 year ago '16        #2
KWizzle 1 heat pts
space
space
$6,620 | Props total: 11843 11843
Of course not humans need social interaction

1 year ago '08        #3
d3athb4dishonor 5 heat pts
space
space
$8,641 | Props total: 2654 2654
Well fu*kin go outside then.

1 year ago '11        #4
CALViiiN 740 heat pts740
space
space
$20,137 | Props total: 43352 43352
maybe its a good thing batteries die fast.

1 year ago '08        #5
Nut-In-Honeys 12 heat pts12
space
space
$6,969 | Props total: 9990 9990
Pitiful

1 year ago '06        #6
RAZAH CUTS 6470 heat pts6470
space
space
$58,640 | Props total: 33511 33511
no simulation of real human interaction will ever come close to the real thing....

the simulation is merely a way to coax your brain into multiple dopamine hits...

1 year ago '07        #7
Itzike 
space
space
$3,063 | Props total: 1227 1227
You don’t say

1 year ago '17        #8
AllWins 3 heat pts
space
space
$2,497 | Props total: 6222 6222
Not a teen, but I meet a lot of women who are completely disconnected from reality and not fun to be around because they live on social media/their phone.

We go out.. they are more concerned with taking pics of themselves than having fun, laughing, engaging with their environment, (or getting bent)

Not all of course, but I’ve noticied a trend of this more and more, sure it’s men too, but just my experience. Of course they’re not happy they don’t no how to live! Glad they are studying it, but most already knew this.

1 year ago '04        #9
RatedQue 51 heat pts51
space
space
$4,047 | Props total: 1930 1930
 AllWins said
Not a teen, but I meet a lot of women who are completely disconnected from reality and not fun to be around because they live on social media/their phone.

We go out.. they are more concerned with taking pics of themselves than having fun, laughing, engaging with their environment, (or getting bent)

Not all of course, but I’ve noticied a trend of this more and more, sure it’s men too, but just my experience. Of course they’re not happy they don’t no how to live! Glad they are studying it, but most already knew this.
Trust me I know, i see bi*ches posting sh*t when they are at a concert or an event. Literally posting the entire fu*king concert. Like damn we get it you there, enjoy the fu*king concert stop living through a phone screen.

1 year ago '17        #10
AllWins 3 heat pts
space
space
$2,497 | Props total: 6222 6222
 RatedQue said
Trust me I know, i see bi*ches posting sh*t when they are at a concert or an event. Literally posting the entire fu*king concert. Like damn we get it you there, enjoy the fu*king concert stop living through a phone screen.
Yea that’s terrible. Let’s be honest, no one watches the concert videos more than like 1 more time after you take it. Usually can’t see sh*t and the sound quality is trash.

Couldn’t agree more, be where you are, be on your phone when your by yourself on the couch or taking a sh*t...

1 year ago '17        #11
Dennis Reynolds 3 heat pts
space
space
$434 | Props total: 1045 1045
I've started using my phone almost exclusively for email, Spotify, texting, and Waze. I don't have social media.

I'll browse Boxden on my phone nearing the NBA trade deadline, though. I have to get my fix during that time.

1 year ago '07        #12
iswerve 185 heat pts185
space
space
$6,523 | Props total: 12561 12561
 RAZAH CUTS said
no simulation of real human interaction will ever come close to the real thing....

the simulation is merely a way to coax your brain into multiple dopamine hits...
and thats how flat earth started

1 year ago '14        #13
El Genio 12 heat pts12
space
space
$455 | Props total: 796 796
Next study reveals, students who drink more water are less likely to suffer dehydration than students who don't get enough.

1 year ago '14        #14
Greenghost2212 3 heat pts
space
space
$3,836 | Props total: 1440 1440
I like my phone more than anybody but let's be real aint sh*t like real life human interaction.

1 year ago '04        #15
RatedQue 51 heat pts51
space
space
$4,047 | Props total: 1930 1930
I wont even fu*k with a bi*ch if she in her phone too much that sh*t is annoying as hell. I tell bi*ches all the time that are all in their phone or wanna use the "I m busy" excuse for sh*t, you not a fortune 500 CEO. Whatever you doing in your phone isnt that important.

1 year ago '06        #16
realgunta 887 heat pts887
space
space
$27,137 | Props total: 49530 49530
 Itzike said
You don’t say
^^lol this

1 year ago '05        #17
projectd06 2 heat pts
space
space
$7,826 | Props total: 11514 11514
 El Genio said
Next study reveals, students who drink more water are less likely to suffer dehydration than students who don't get enough.
:jtlol:

1 year ago '05        #18
Tranquilo 30 heat pts30
space
space
$6,506 | Props total: 2441 2441
"teens"? all folks get addicted

1 year ago '14        #19
dublos 
space
space
$860 | Props total: 886 886
Duuuuh @ the title.

1 year ago '06        #20
Be Easy 3 heat pts
space
space
$2,982 | Props total: 6613 6613
I hate when people say irl

like life is a hobby

Home      

most viewed right now
online now  18
BOX Broner's Sexuality Officially In Question by the Rainbow Community
69 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
online now  17
Google Stadia
139 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
-126online now  12
She's built for S*x...Its all she has to offer
123 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
online now  3
Akademiks is so desperate that he is now championing YNW Melly knowing he guilty
31 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy