How Apple turned a PR nightmare into 100s of millions of $, and is forcing you to buy-in.

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

1 year ago '04        #1
5154 page views
88 comments

CoconutCoke 10 heat pts10
space
space
space
$910 | Props total: 340 340
How Apple turned a PR nightmare into 100s of millions of $, and is forcing you to buy-in.

By now you’ve all probably heard of the Apple battery fiasco. If you haven’t, here’s a quick rundown: Apple issued a software update that seemed to make the battery life of older iPhones worse and were caught doing so. They tried to explain it by saying they were doing something to help iPhone users, but later issued a mea culpa in the form of $29 battery replacements, instead of the normal $89 that it costs.

People were elated and thanked Apple for their kindness. The person who originally caught them on Reddit, even updated his post to let everyone know that “Apple is offering new batteries for only $29 for 1 year.” Wow, thank you so much Apple!

Here’s where this is utterly fu*ked up — Apple degraded their customers’ product to make it almost unusable in an effort to force them to purchase their new devices (I was definitely one of those people on the brink of just buying an iPhone X because my battery life and performance was awful). Once they were caught, instead of directly apologizing, they made an effort to come up with excuses. After that didn’t work, they pulled off what I believe is one of the most genius business moves ever — they dropped the price of battery replacements to $29 and made it seem like they were doing everyone a huge favor. The problem is, these battery replacements cost Apple single digit dollars. Replacement batteries, for a 6S for example, go for $10 on NewEgg with the toolkit. It’s possible that Apple will generate hundreds of millions of dollars off this program, considering the weeks-long waiting list at some stores.

…And it gets worse. I believe Apple is now using this public position they are in to try and force all older iPhone users to partake in this replacement program. How? By doing what they just did, but worse. On New Year’s eve, I received a push notification from Apple to upgrade my OS. A push notification I’ve seen countless times and always declined because I don’t like to update my OS too much. However, this time, the push notification was different. Typically, Apple push notifications are set up in the following manner (not the exact text):

“Update to the latest OS”
[ Not Now ] [ OK ]

The one that I received on New Year’s was set up in this manner:

“Update to the latest OS”
[ OK ] [ Not Now ]

This may not seem like a big deal, but having built software that sent out millions of push notifications, I know that changing a standard/templated push like this will trick a large swath of people because of ingrained behavior of hitting the left button. I was one of those people. I hit OK, accidentally, and Apple’s war on my battery began.

I started losing battery by the 10s and 20s. From 55% -> 21% after putting my phone in my pocket and taking it out a minute later. From 22% -> 7% in the same manner. Opening up an app k*lls battery %s by the minute, or worse. I open up my camera to take a picture in double digit battery life and my phone just dies.

Why does this all matter? Because it’s wrong. Apple, by making that small switch in the push notification is tricking all those who didn’t upgrade to the latest OS to do so in order to punish their battery and force them into the $29 replacement program so they can make money because you won’t buy their new iPhone. Wow, thank you so much Apple!

To put it simply — Apple knowingly fu*ked your iPhone up, and if they didn’t, they are making a concerted effort to do so and profiting off of you to fix it. It’s a $29 tax because you didn’t want to upgrade your phone. It would be similar to Tesla knowingly sending your car an update to ruin the battery life of the car in an effort to get you to buy the latest model, and instead of recalling it or fixing it for free once publicly caught, charging you to fix it and being applauded for it. WWED? What would Elon do?

Last edited by CoconutCoke; 01-04-2018 at 05:32 PM..

88 comments for "How Apple turned a PR nightmare into 100s of millions of $, and is forcing you to buy-in."

1 year ago '05        #2
eyestayhi 
space
space
$518 | Props total: 89 89
i'm 99.99999999% sure EVERY company does this with their phones... after a year devices are damn near unusable across the board

1 year ago '04        #3
nastynotic 4 heat pts
space
space
space
$758 | Props total: 527 527
They beat King Sammy again! Ha ha ha

1 year ago '05        #4
KruptedWayz 25 heat pts25
space
space
space
$3,866 | Props total: 1592 1592
I still cant believe how more Apple customers are not pissed that they are not getting a free battery and have to pay $29 for this.

1 year ago '17        #5
TROY 
space
space
$2,159 | Props total: 5297 5297
 eyestayhi said
i'm 99.99999999% sure EVERY company does this with their phones... after a year devices are damn near unusable across the board
I just got a 8+. Back on Apple since the 5 came out

I had a nexus 6p. Bought It in 2015. Itís cool for a min. Then I get crazy battery drain. Iím talking off the charger I lose like 5%

Phone is od slow. And the worst thing. The sh*t dies at 10% 15% 20% sometimes even 40%

Unbelievable. And this started happening when they released the next phone in that line - the pixel

But I stayed with the nexus and it got worse and worse. I know companies do this sh*t a lot. It sucks for us

1 year ago '10        #6
bx addict 
space
space
space
$180 | Props total: 169 169
 eyestayhi said
Agreed, just most peeps never see updates. And I know many people that never update any phone, period.

1 year ago '04        #7
VictoryThagr8 6 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,148 | Props total: 4423 4423
 nastynotic said
They beat King Sammy again! Ha ha ha
Guy who admits he likes getting butt r*pe due to brand loyalty.

1 year ago '08        #8
flav 2 heat pts
space
space
$4,808 | Props total: 7387 7387
I called it the day they came out with this excuse BS

"we didn't know it would behave like that"
F*K Apple do you really think people are THAT stupid? on one end you advertise yourself as being the most sophisticated and advanced company "thoroughly tested to enhance the customer's lifestyle" to "umm ohh we didn't know"

F*K outta here

1 year ago '11        #9
southpawdachamp 23 heat pts23
space
space
$2,993 | Props total: 4724 4724
 KruptedWayz said
I still cant believe how more Apple customers are not pissed that they are not getting a free battery and have to pay $29 for this.
Apple customers are the biggest flock of sheeple on the planet

1 year ago '04        #10
R0CAF3LLA_pimp 53 heat pts53
space
space
$8,000 | Props total: 5963 5963
more reddit garbage...

clearly written by a android user.

Last edited by R0CAF3LLA_pimp; 01-05-2018 at 08:16 AM..

1 year ago '04        #11
R0CAF3LLA_pimp 53 heat pts53
space
space
$8,000 | Props total: 5963 5963
 southpawdachamp said
Apple customers are the biggest flock of sheeple on the planet
or people are just so happy with Apple products that it takes alot to steer them to trashdroid phones. Cant hate on quality. Apple devices are JUST that GOOD.

1 year ago '11        #12
southpawdachamp 23 heat pts23
space
space
$2,993 | Props total: 4724 4724
 R0CAF3LLA_pimp said
or people are just so happy with Apple products that it takes alot to steer them to trashdroid phones. Cant hate on quality. Apple devices are JUST that GOOD.
Who said anything about switching phones :metsorly:

1 year ago '15        #13
Kden 59 heat pts59
space
space
space
$9,075 | Props total: 22769 22769
 eyestayhi said
Wishful thinking to justify this bullsh*t

Only way an Android phone's CPU is gonna be throttled is if you root your phone and do it yourself.

1 year ago '15        #14
414mvp 
space
space
$1,833 | Props total: 2411 2411
 eyestayhi said
I work for a cellular company and cell phones are only supposed to last 18 months that is facts. You get more out of Apple but still same premise.

1 year ago '16        #15
The Waraba 22 heat pts22
space
space
$1,134 | Props total: 3796 3796

[pic - click to view]

1 year ago '16        #16
The Waraba 22 heat pts22
space
space
$1,134 | Props total: 3796 3796
 R0CAF3LLA_pimp said

[pic - click to view]

1 year ago '05        #17
freshtoodef 5 heat pts
space
space
$6,100 | Props total: 5698 5698
My 6s still works fine

1 year ago '17        #18
justin747 42 heat pts42
space
space
$11,026 | Props total: 52711 52711
 eyestayhi said
If you think other companies do this, you don't understand what's happening. You're exactly the customer Apple was targeting by forcing people to pay for new batteries.

1 year ago '17        #19
BlakkJonSnow 3 heat pts
space
space
$759 | Props total: 2277 2277
 eyestayhi said
i have been android since 2009- never got scammed on my battery then forced to cop another battery for $30. Also have never had a device be unusable after a year

i have a lg g6 now as my phone, but still use my g4 around the house in wifi and my original G1 still works from 2009

basically apple said:

"sorry we fu*ked up and lied to you...to make up for it we'll allow you to spend more money on more sh*t that directly profits us"

(and as you will see in this thread-. they did it because they know not only will they get away with it, but their idiot stans are gonna do mental gymnastics to defend it)

.. it's the same strategy republicans/faux news have perfected.... get your supporters so brainwashed that they defend your bs, even when it hurts them

Last edited by BlakkJonSnow; 01-05-2018 at 09:47 AM..

1 year ago '17        #20
BlakkJonSnow 3 heat pts
space
space
 justin747 said
If you think other companies do this, you don't understand what's happening. You're exactly the customer Apple was targeting by forcing people to pay for new batteries.

who cares if 100 other companies do it? are they selling the mass amount the iphone is? does it make it right that they are greedy and corrupt because others are too?

you cape harder for a billion dollar company than you do for your own interest.

1 year ago '17        #21
justin747 42 heat pts42
space
space
 R0CAF3LLA_pimp said

[pic - click to view]

1 year ago '17        #22
justin747 42 heat pts42
space
space
 BlakkJonSnow said
who cares if 100 other companies do it? are they selling the mass amount the iphone is? does it make it right that they are greedy and corrupt because others are too?

you cape harder for a billion dollar company than you do for your own interest.
I don't cape for any of these sh*tty companies, but nobody else is pulling the bullsh*t Apple is. That's a fact.

Android manufacturers don't even control what goes into the OS or updates, Google does.

1 year ago '17        #23
BlakkJonSnow 3 heat pts
space
space
 justin747 said
I don't cape for any of these sh*tty companies, but nobody else is pulling the bullsh*t Apple is. That's a fact.

Android manufacturers don't even control what goes into the OS or updates, Google does.
fax. n*ggas want do what teump voters do (false equivalency)

this was some fukk shyt and an objective apple lover could admit it

1 year ago '04        #24
CoconutCoke 10 heat pts10 OP
space
space
space
$910 | Props total: 340 340
 R0CAF3LLA_pimp said
more reddit garbage...

clearly written by a android user.
I'm an iPhone user, have owned Mac computers/laptops since the big-chin iMac in 2004. I'm a loyal Apple enthusiast and I wrote this post. While I love their products, this is pure fu*kery on their part. The fact that they knew this was an an issue, didn't communicate it to the general public and then refused to make it easily or cheaply solvable and instead capitalized on it even more...I can't stand by Apple on this.

1 year ago '10        #25
marx1684 1 heat pts
space
space
$6,904 | Props total: 9734 9734
 KruptedWayz said
You really can't believe it? I easily can.

Home      

most viewed right now
+52online now  21
Video inside Gillie Tells Story About Birdman Ordering "Shrimp Lamborghini" At A Res..
100 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
-64online now  19
Image(s) inside Look how much Justin Bieber is enjoying his married life
149 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+38online now  19
Image(s) inside You young punks donít know nothing bout the originals #SpiceSampled
62 comments
24 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+52online now  14
NBA LeLottery ostracizes himself from the Lakers and Clyde Frazier sh-ts all o..
188 comments
1 day ago
@sports
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy