Android Auto is going wireless for 2018

most viewed right now
+34  108
94 comments @sports
most viewed right now
34 comments @wild'ish

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

1 year ago '04        #1
1009 page views
13 comments

Fresh Beats 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,017 | Props total: 4447 4447
Android Auto is going wireless for 2018

Ever since Android Auto first hit the market back in 2015, you've needed to plug your phone directly into a compatible head unit in order to get the apps and screens mirrored from mobile to car. In 2018, that setup will change, as Android Auto goes wireless.

JVC Kenwood is planning to introduce a couple of wireless Android Auto units at the big CES show next week, reports CNET. One will have JVC branding, one Kenwood, and they're both going to feature a 1,280 x 720 pixel HD display for seeing your sat nav apps at a nice, sharp resolution.

Like a lot of similar units, the devices will support Apple CarPlay as well as Android Auto, though right now it's not clear whether that functionality will also be wireless. A small number of wireless CarPlay units have already appeared.
Android Auto upgrades

Google teased the arrival of wireless Android Auto support back in May during Google I/O, so this isn't a complete surprise. Support for the "OK Google" voice command, and the ability to use Android Auto on your phone as well as a head unit, was announced at the same time.

That's all we know so far about the new devices – JVC Kenwood hasn't said anything official as yet – but all the blanks should be filled in when CES gets underway next Monday, January 8. Of course we'll be there to bring you all the news from Las Vegas.

There'll be a flood of new tech on show and car tech is likely to play a major role as our motors get smarter and smarter. Look out for a slew of new car stereos to be announced at the show, supporting the platforms developed by Google and Apple – and this time requiring no wiring.

visit this link http://www.techradar.com/ .. eless-for-2018

13 comments for "Android Auto is going wireless for 2018"

1 year ago '09        #2
Baynut 5 heat pts
space
space
$9,593 | Props total: 4152 4152
Good sh*t. I was this close to coppin the Pioneer 8200NEX for my 96 SS Impala, but something told me to wait. I'm glad I did.

1 year ago '11        #3
xxflyingarmbarx 34 heat pts34
space
space
$2,242 | Props total: 1082 1082
Wonder if this could be software integration, or a hardware addition. Just picked up a '16 Veloster Turbo that has android auto functionality.

1 year ago '05        #4
Y.G. 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$43,853 | Props total: 19847 19847
 xxflyingarmbarx said
Wonder if this could be software integration, or a hardware addition. Just picked up a '16 Veloster Turbo that has android auto functionality.
Needs the proper hardware. This requires the head unit to have Wi-Fi.

1 year ago '04        #5
DJ Maximum|M 63 heat pts63
space
space
$46,470 | Props total: 24407 24407
Needs WiFi connection so I'll stick with mines

Ok Google working on mine and I have a dedicated button on steering wheel controls as well.

Way too much involved you can just plug it in and have it charged at the same time. If you want to take pictures or Snapchat or even YouTube you can still do it plugged up

I don't see the benefit you'll still want your phone charging while you're in the car. Don't want to turn your phone into a hotspot just to use it.

Last edited by DJ Maximum; 01-05-2018 at 11:18 AM..

1 year ago '11        #6
xxflyingarmbarx 34 heat pts34
space
space
$2,242 | Props total: 1082 1082
 Y.G. said
Needs the proper hardware. This requires the head unit to have Wi-Fi.
Damn that sucks. Thanks for the heads up.

1 year ago '04        #7
Fresh Beats 2 heat pts OP
space
space
 DJ Maximum said
Way too much involved you can just plug it in and have it charged at the same time.

I don't see the benefit you'll still want your phone charging while you're in the car. Don't want to turn your phone into a hotspot just to use it.
I don't like plugging my phone up for short drives. That's the reason why I have bluetooth instead of an Aux cord. If the battery drain is bad with this, I plan to just get a wireless charging pad to throw my phone on when I'm driving. Hopefully it won't come to that tho.

1 year ago '05        #8
Bourbon Finest 21 heat pts21
space
space
$1,729 | Props total: 627 627
 Baynut said
Good sh*t. I was this close to coppin the Pioneer 8200NEX for my 96 SS Impala, but something told me to wait. I'm glad I did.
Looking to buy a 96 SS this year, you think 10 stacks should get me a good one

1 year ago '09        #9
Baynut 5 heat pts
space
space
$9,593 | Props total: 4152 4152
 Bourbon Finest said
Looking to buy a 96 SS this year, you think 10 stacks should get me a good one
Depends what you mean by "good one." If you mean one that looks ok/good and has high mileage, yea, no problem. If you looking for something with low mileage and looks good, no way.

1 year ago '10        #10
M2CEO 31 heat pts31
space
space
space
$5,348 | Props total: 4570 4570
i have a 10.1" tablet that i used to use as an alternative to my stock head unit and I use automate (from the google app store). I paid 1.99 for the full version and it resembles android auto. I also purchased a bluetooth audio adaptor and a usb cig lighter adaptor. My car has a cig adaptor and 3.5mm in the glove box, so it wa easy for me to set everything up. I have the tablet mounted using a scoche magnet mount kit. its really low profile and can hardly be seen.

BTW I drive a 2010 Mercedes C300

best thing I could have done!!

1 year ago '04        #11
space
space
 Fresh Beats said
I don't like plugging my phone up for short drives. That's the reason why I have bluetooth instead of an Aux cord. If the battery drain is bad with this, I plan to just get a wireless charging pad to throw my phone on when I'm driving. Hopefully it won't come to that tho.
I had bought type c cables so I have 2 extra in the car USB audio is way better than aux and Bluetooth. The difference is noticeable. To me I don't mind plugging it in. I still can Snapchat and do everything else while I drive.

I can imagine the settings won't sync everything with the first gen dealing with WiFi

Not I know some cars have cheap built in usb and doesn't adequately charge Android and even some iphones

1 year ago '04        #12
Fresh Beats 2 heat pts OP
space
space
 DJ Maximum said
I had bought type c cables so I have 2 extra in the car USB audio is way better than aux and Bluetooth. The difference is noticeable. To me I don't mind plugging it in. I still can Snapchat and do everything else while I drive.

Not I know some cars have cheap built in usb and doesn't adequately charge Android and even some iphones
I'm in the same boat with the USB-C connection. I can barely tell the difference, but I drive a sports car where the stereo isn't the selling point of the car.

The newer decks have higher amperage (1.5 compared to 1), so I expect these to charge phones a lot quicker. I have a Pioneer 4200 and my phone actually charges pretty fast via USB-C, even without the higher amps.

1 year ago '04        #13
space
space
 Fresh Beats said
I'm in the same boat with the USB-C connection. I can barely tell the difference, but I drive a sports car where the stereo isn't the selling point of the car.

The newer decks have higher amperage (1.5 compared to 1), so I expect these to charge phones a lot quicker. I have a Pioneer 4200 and my phone actually charges pretty fast via USB-C, even without the higher amps.
Yeah I have the same radio in my Camaro I bought a dual USB that would normally plug into cigarette lighter so I can plug two at a time but it runs the Android auto and Apple carplay.

It charges my phone faster than when I had micro USB as long as the cables are solid you're fine

1 year ago '04        #14
space
space
It would be cool if an American brand make Android radio head units I seen alot of Tesla style Android units but they all from China

Home      

most viewed right now
online now  42
Image(s) inside TMZ NEW VIDEO: GETAWAY DRIVER in NIPSEY HUSSLE Shooting BEEN EXPOSED A..
175 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+72online now  41
Image(s) inside Nice hot tea >>> coffee 🍵
32 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
online now  25
Apr 21 - Pentagon Issues Proposal to Classify Fentanyl as a Weapon of Mass Des..
38 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
+62online now  17
Image(s) inside No Plastic Surgery
28 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy