online users
thotties       tv/movies       gaming       gear       tech       guap       rides       eats       health       bxwf       misc

ELEX | Review Thread

more
ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  1   0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section games

6 years ago '04        #1
1571 page views
0 comments

CrAkKedOuT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 27071 27 K  Slaps total: 4618 4 K
ELEX | Review Thread

Game Title: ELEX
Platforms: PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC
Trailer:
YT
Developers: Piranha Bytes, THQ Nordic
Review Aggregator:
OpenCritic - 61

AngryCentaurGaming - Jeremy Penter - Wait For Sale

Cerealki1lerz - Gabriel Bogdan - German - 6.7 / 10.0
If you're a RPG or Gothic Veteran you will find some enjoyment in the story behind Elex. Besides that everything else is so faulty and inaccessible that we can't recommend the game to anyone else. The terrible sounds and animations combined with the clunky gameplay make it hard to keep on playing this game.

COGconnected - James Paley - 65 / 100
Elex demands a certain species of patience, a particular brand of mental acuity.

Entertainment Buddha - Randy Ladyka - 65 / 100
The world of Elex is great to look at, but difficult to traverse. The mutants are unforgiving and you aren't well equipped for the job. Poor animation and an unpolished feel across the board make this a flop for the genre.

Eurogamer - Richie Sh0emaker - No Recommendation
Hokey, uneven and janky, Elex is nonetheless a compelling throwback to a time before open worlds became choose your own to-do lists.

Game News Plus - Emine Ozturk - 7 / 10.0
There is so much which can be done and more time to spend on the game to make it better, there are things to fix and need to be changed, but I am afraid now I am addicted to ELEX. Ultimately, ELEX is a mash-up of the things we are familiar with famous open-world games like Fallout and Skyrim and an intriguing story which combines sci-fi and fantasy successfully.

Game Revolution - Cody Perez - 2.5 / 5 stars
The world of Magalan is intriguing with its blend of technology and magic, but it's unfortunate that the game tucked inside of it is only fun to play half of the time.

GamePro - Dimitry Halley - German - 83 / 100
With great quests and an even better game world, Elex is the best Piranha bytes game since Gothic 2, but inherits its deficits.

GameSkinny - Kieran Desmond - 8 / 10 stars
I was very impressed by ELEX and I'm glad I didn't take the game at face value. If you're willing to put in the few hours it takes to figure out why ELEX is so great, then you'll be rewarded with an awesome and memorable experience -- especially if you're an RPG fan.

GameSpace - Suzie Ford - 7 / 10.0
All in all, if you’re a fan of open world exploration and complex combat, ELEX may be the game for you, though I would add the caveat that you may want to see how things improve over the coming months. There’s already a plan for a Day 1 patch that may take care of some of the game’s most glaring issues.

GameSpew - Sean Mesler - 60%
Elex needed much more time in the oven to be the game its promising previews made it seem to be, and with the dearth of games available this winter, I can't recommend it to anyone but the most hardcore fans of the genre.

GamingBolt - Alex Jackson - 5 / 10.0
ELEX has ambition it lacks focus and refinement to become something more than it is. Technical fumbles, bad writing and robotic animations all bring the game down from any possible greatness, and what's left can only be called mediocre.

GBAtemp - Tom Bond - 4 / 10.0
Overall, Elex had a lot of promise, but it's amalgamation of settings and mechanics do nothing positive for the game. With an utter nonsense mix of weapons, enemies, and settings, Elex might have been a decent game...for 2007. Unfortunately, it seems like Piranha Bytes still hasn't learned from their various mistakes with Risen 3. As it is now, there's simply no reason to try it unless you're a diehard Piranha Bytes fan.

GRYOnline.pl - Krzysztof Mysiak - Polish - 7.5 / 10.0
Elex is not an accessible game and doesn’t make a great first impression but it deserves more than one chance. Fans of Piranha Games should prepare themselves for more of what they love (but they must accept a strange fantasy & sci-fi mix). The final grade could have been higher if it weren't for too many technical issues.

IGN Spain - Carlos G. Gurpegui - Spanish - 6.5 / 10.0
Elex has, somewhere, a good game under all the apathy of it's surface. There are some good ideas that one can easily miss because of it's poor narrative, gameplay or aesthetic.

PlayStation LifeStyle - Ahmed Mohamed - 5 / 10.0
There's a lot of fun to be had in ELEX at higher levels, but the game opens far too slowly and spreads itself out too thin to make any sort of impact. It's a game that begs to be smaller in scope, and richer in depth. And while its animations and visuals are mostly uninspiring, there are some real moments of beauty that are found in its caves and crevasses if you choose to explore the land of Edan.

PlayStation Universe - Garri Bagdasarov - 3 / 10.0
ELEX is bad in almost every way. It's a poor attempt and impossible to enjoy anything outside of its interesting setting and backstory.

PS Site - Krzysiek Kalwasiński - Polish - 7 / 10.0
You simply have to try Elex for yourself, but be ready for some stiff animations, framerate drops, mediocre graphics and clunky combat. However if you are familiar with Piranha Bytes games, you'll be fine.

Sirus Gaming - May Alturas - 6.7 / 10.0
To wrap up, the game feels under developed where clearly it needs more time. Graphics wise isn’t something to be happy with it. It has a lot of bugs – clearly unfinished and combat system is something you don’t want to look forward to. Trailer looked really nice but the game just failed to deliver what they mentioned in Gamescon. ELEX being acronyms of Eclectic, Lavish, Exhilarating and Xenial, flashy words but unfortunately it fell short on my expectations and I want to give it another chance but I feel like I will be wasting my time.

Spaziogames - Gianluca Arena - Italian - 6.5 / 10.0
With Elex Piranha Bytes bited more than he could chew, unfortunately: the games is huge, and we're sure a great effort went into the storytelling and world building, but the combat system is just too clunky and the difficulty curve is off, too much to recommend it.

TeamNerd - Giulia Garassino - Italian - 7.2 / 10.0
ELEX is a title that leaves us so, in half, in a limbo of emotions a little upset. On the one hand we find an old RPG style that reminds us of the old Gothic years; an interesting story that is enriched by details and subversions that make perfect contours. A very ambitious setting that offers vast worlds and environments studied as well as several choices and paths to take. Opponents and NPCs of the most disparate who will have different means to face us and various stories to tell. On the other hand, however, we find an old gameplay, with woody movements and a often frustrating combat system. Animation and graphics leave a little to be desired, and although there is a texture improvement, the engine used does not show pace with the times, offering an interesting eye but not enough.

VideoGamer - Alice Bell - No Verdict
ELEX is a mixed bag so far, and that 'so far' refers to the starting area. The game density plus a min-max stats system means I haven't got further yet.

Wccftech - Alessio Palumbo - 6.4 / 10.0
ELEX is pretty much the gaming incarnation of a mixed bag. While exploring the massive world of Magalan is an enjoyable experience and the lore easily pulls players in with lots of interesting quests, the mediocre combat, poor companions AI and severe balance issues prevent it from securing a spot in the ever more crowded RPG limelight.

We Got This Covered - Dylan Chaundy - 3.5 / 5 stars
There's a great game hidden somewhere in ELEX, but there are just too many technical missteps and niggling bugs to give a wholehearted blanket recommendation to all RPG fans.

icon
best
icon
worst
0 comments

say something...

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
props+4112
Video inside This is Janet Jackson. She will be 58 this year 💋
68 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Birdman and slim pull up to a drake j cole concert
21 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
props+336
Post A Moment That Finished An Artist Career
286 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
props-204
Video inside Mar 16 - Trump: if I don't get elected it's going to be a bloodbath
758 comments
2 days ago
@news