online users
thotties       tv/movies       gaming       gear       tech       guap       rides       eats       health       bxwf       misc

South Park: The Fractured But Whole | Review Thread

more
ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  1   0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section games

6 years ago '04        #1
8326 page views
0 comments

CrAkKedOuT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 27071 27 K  Slaps total: 4618 4 K
South Park: The Fractured But Whole | Review Thread

AngryCentaurGaming - Jeremy Penter Buy ~ Buy Absolutely a 'Buy', the game is a blast. For me, it is a little better than the prior title, not just in the way it is delivered, but also in just the subject matter. I felt that they nailed the superhero parts; I get that some people won't like those, but for me this was so much fun. I will easily return to this as soon as I have the open time.

Gamers Heroes - Captain Camper 100 ~ 10 / 10 South Park: The Fractured But Whole has everything fans would hope for, and is a well crafted turn-based RPG to boot. Put simply, this is the funniest game I have ever played, period. PS4

The Daily Star - Dom Pepplatt 100 ~ 5 / 5 Parker and Stone once mentioned that the Ubisoft videogames may be the future of the South Park world - if The Fractured But Whole is what we can expect of the franchise going forward, it’s safe to say the legacy of the show is in remarkably good hands.

DualShockers - Taylor Lyles 95 ~ 9.5 / 10 All in all, South Park: The Fractured But Whole is a fantastic game. While there are some minor flaws, I couldn't put my controller down. Aside from being one of my personal favorite games of this year, it also holds a special place in my heart as one of the best Ubisoft games I have ever played. If you are a fan of the TV series, as well as The Stick of Truth, I highly recommend purchasing this game; it is well worth your time, and it is worth every penny of its purchase price. XB1

VGCulture HQ - Morgan Lewis 95 ~ 9.5 / 10 South Park: The Fractured But Whole takes the best elements of the show and improves upon them in an interactive format. It’s easily one of the best games of the year, and a must-play game for everyone. PS4

COGconnected - Alexander Thomas 94 ~ 94 / 100 South Park: The Fractured But Whole has been well worth the wait. Building off of the massive success of The Stick of Truth, Fractured But Whole has an incredibly satisfying combat system that leaves you constantly eager for the next fight, exemplary and natural dialogue from everyone in town, and a truly epic soundtrack. With a fully customizable character, loads of pop culture references, and political satire that might hit a little too close to home, this is exactly the game we hoped it could be. In terms of a raunchy, dirty, filthy, cuss-filled RPG that pushes the boundaries of comedy, no one does it better, and I mean that in the best possible way. PS4

Hardcore Gamer - Chris Shive 90 ~ 4.5 / 5 South Park: The Fractured But Whole could be summarized as The Stick of Truth with better combat featuring superheros instead of swords and sorcery. PS4

Pure Playstation - Jason Frye 90 ~ 9 / 10 South Park The Fractured But Whole builds on the previous game to provide better mechanics with a greatly improved UI to power its superhero-inspired story. Outside a few individuals, your favorite South Park residents are well represented in a crazy, fully explorable world that only South Park could create. PS4

GamingTrend - Mike Pearce 90 ~ 90 / 100 In the end, I'm struggling to find negative things to say about this game. From start to finish, South Park: The Fractured But Whole had me in stitches. It's the perfect of blend of smart and silly. It is magnificent and absurdly ridiculous in a way that only South Park can pull off. It's the best possible excuse to laugh about everything and everyone you know you're not supposed to. PC

GamesRadar+ - Sam Prell 90 ~ 4.5 / 5 stars South Park balances ample fan service with gameplay that stands on its own merits and an engaging story. It won't make you a fan if you weren't one already, but it's hard to imagine a better-realized adaptation.

Cerealki1lerz - Gabriel Bogdan - German 90 ~ 9 / 10 South Park: The Fractured but Whole comes with the quality you'd expect from the show and besides some repetitive Riddles it delivers a solid South Park Experience and an entertaining story. Tactical RPG Fans will miss some challenge and some more thought out upgrade mechanics would've been nice but it's definitely the funniest game of the year. PS4

PS Site - Adam Grochocki - Polish 90 ~ 9 / 10 A brilliant satire on modern pop culture with an engaging story and a great sense of humor. That's the newest South Park game for you. PS4

Gadgets 360 - Rishi Alwani 90 ~ 9 / 10 Minor technical issues aside, the stellar combat, engaging narrative, and quirky humour make this 30 hour romp through the quiet mountain town of South Park, Colorado, worth checking out. Particularly if the TV show's brand of humour gels with you. It's a marked improvement over South Park: The Stick of Truth in almost every way. XB1

Geek Culture Podcast - Dean James 90 ~ 9 / 10 With 21 years of being on the air, South Park: The Stick of Truth was the first game that truly captured the spirit of the series and that is continued with near perfection in South Park: The Fractured But Whole. Even if you never got around to playing The Stick of Truth, South Park: The Fractured But Whole is the very epitome of South Park at the very top of its game. XB1

Wccftech - Kai Powell 90 ~ 9 / 10 Much like a shart, The Fractured but Whole continues to surprise as the game of superheroes goes darker and cruder than anything else the kids of South Park have experienced. PS4

TechRaptor - Andrew Otton 90 ~ 9 / 10 South Park: The Fractured But Whole is South Park at its best backed up by gameplay that would stand on its own in any other game. PS4

PowerUp! - Matthew Mancherster 90 ~ 9 / 10 South Park: The Fractured But Whole really is an impressive game. Offensive and in your face, but impressive none the less.The gameplay and exploration are fun and fulfilling in all ways video game. The story is insane and keeps you entertained for the entirety of the playthrough.

EGM - Ray Carsillo 90 ~ 9 / 10 The new combat mechanics add tons of depth and strategy to the experience, and new exploration abilities really give Fractured But Whole an overall deeper RPG feel. The game is also absolutely hysterical; if you love the humor of South Park in general, then Fractured But Whole is a must have. XB1

GearNuke - Khurram Imtiaz 90 ~ 9 / 10 South Park: The Fractured But Whole feels just like an animated feature from the TV series with the same lewd jokes, satirical social commentary along with an improved combat and exploration system. PS4

Attack of the Fanboy - Kyle Hanson 90 ~ 4.5 / 5 stars South Park: The Fractured But Whole doesn’t remake the wheel that The Stick of Truth crafted so well. The first game made for a near perfect South Park experience, with bare bones RPG elements to make it all work. This sequel does mostly the same, only tinkering with a few things, making for a different but just as enjoyable final product. Those who don’t find South Park’s particular brand of comedy endearing will likely find little to enjoy here, but if you loved the first game, you’ll love this new one just as much. And if you’re a South Park fan who hasn’t played either, then you need to fix that ASAP. XB1

PlayStation LifeStyle - Chandler Wood 90 ~ 9 / 10 Despite these couple of technical misgivings, South Park: The Fractured But Whole is another interactive journey into the minds of Matt Stone and Trey Parker. I quite literally felt like I was playing the show for the 15 hours that I spent in South Park–not surprising, given that the first game met that uncanny caliber of delivering a near perfect recreation. If easily offended, chances are you’ve already written off South Park, and chances are even higher that you aren’t reading this review. Surrounding the fart jokes and fourth graders who love to say fu*k a lot, there is a brutally intelligent comedic commentary on many aspects of modern society. It’s something that South Park has always been great at, and something that tr@nslates incredibly well to interactivity. Where the first game made a believer out of me, The Fractured But Whole had me farting falling in love with South Park all over again. PS4

Game Informer - Kyle Hilliard 88 ~ 8.8 / 10 The Fractured But Whole is a worthy follow-up to one of the best video game adaptations of a TV show ever made. It has consistent humor, a story with a satisfying pay-off, and a fun new combat system PS4, XB1, PC

GamesBeat - Mike Minotti 88 ~ 88 / 100 The grid-based combat adds the layer of complexity that The Fractured but Whole needs to stand out from its excellent predecessor. You'll still need to be a fan of the show to get the most of this. But if you are a South Park aficionado, The Fractured but Whole is another hilarious and fun game that captures the spirit of series. PS4

Do You Even Game Bro? - Kieron Verbrugge 88 ~ 8.8 / 10 South Park: The Fractured but Whole goes beyond being just a fan’s wet dream, and is a legitimately great RPG in its own right. XB1

AusGamers - Steve Farrelly 88 ~ 8.8 / 10 It’s for both South Park fans and RPG fans, but finding that balance between the two audiences might prove a bit tricky. However, if you’re a fan of both you’re in for a challenging and investment-heavy treat. The game’s polish was worth the wait. It’s combat is much-improved and the story -- if you care -- has some wonderful peaks across a South Park consistent delivery of social commentary alongside all those aforementioned d1ck, sh*t and fart jokes. Boss battles are always engaging and when you do finally gain those abilities to tackle all of the Town’s secrets, it culminates in a fantastic and excellent experience. You just need to have the patience to sit on the pot for a while, before you can decide to sh*t and move on (to awkwardly mess up an old saying). XB1

Hobby Consolas - Martín Amechazurra Falagán - Spanish 86 ~ 86 / 100 South Park returns to our consoles not as a whole different game from The Stick of Truth, but rather as a new season within it's gaming universe, with the style and satire of the best South Park seasons, and plenty of jokes to acompany you through all the adventure. PS4

Destructoid - Brett Makedonski 85 ~ 8.5 / 10 The guy selling tickets at the movie theater flippantly asks every time you see him "Aren't superheroes kinda played out?" As it turns out, not quite yet. Not as far as South Park is concerned, at least. XB1

IGN - Dan Stapleton 85 ~ 8.5 / 10 South Park: The Fractured But Whole is another epic-length episode of the humor that's kept fans of the show laughing for 20 years. The Marvel vs DC parody delivers regular laugh-out-loud moments with only a few faltering gags, and the combat soon evolves into something much more complex and interesting than The Stick of Truth's simple system. Navigation and repetition of some of its simple puzzle mechanics drag a little, but it's otherwise an excellent South Park game that's also a strong RPG. PS4, XB1, PC

MMORPG.com - Scott Jeslis 85 ~ 8.5 / 10 Essential point, if you’re a South Park fan then you need this game! Nowhere else does a game like this one makes you, the player, the star in an episode of the popular South Park TV show. PC

God is a Geek - Chris White 85 ~ 8.5 / 10 A great sequel with much more going on, and is built with a lot of love and respect for the series it comes from. PS4

GamePro - Hannes Rossow - German 85 ~ 85 / 100 A surprisingly complex RPG that combines an exciting story with malicious humor. PS4, XB1

Shacknews - Brittany Vincent 80 ~ 8 / 10 Besides very minor issues, The Fractured But Whole's main problem is its reliance on familiarity with material outside the game. All the excellent cameos, self-references and a lot of plot points are dependent on players having at least a passing familiarity with the TV show. However, if you like South Park and video games (or just South Park), The Fractured But Whole is a must-have title, and improves on The Stick of Truth in every way.

Worth Playing - Chris "Atom" DeAngelus 80 ~ 8 / 10 All in all, South Park: The Fractured But Whole is a solid follow-up to the original game. It doesn't change too much, but the new combat system is an improvement over the original, and it retains the same sense of irreverent humor and love for the franchise as the first game. TFBW is a solid RPG on its own merits, and fans of South Park will find a ton to love here. The only thing that drags it down is feeling a bit too similar to the first game despite the differences, and some of the humor can fall dangerously flat. It's a fun, solid, and well-made licensed title that captured the good and bad of South Park while managing to craft an enjoyable gaming experience. What more can fans ask for? PS4

Spaziogames - Mario Petillo - Italian 80 ~ 8 / 10 South Park: The Fractured but Whole is a nice sequel, with so much fun and irreverence, but equally repetitive. PS4

Easy Allies - Michael Damiani 80 ~ 4 / 5 stars It’s clear that The Fractured But Whole has a few issues that could have been ironed out prior to release, which is surprising given the game’s delays. However, like The Stick of Truth before it, this game absolutely nails the look and feel of the show. Overall it’s a slightly weaker effort than its predecessor, but it is still one of the funniest games out there. Written PS4

icon
best
icon
worst
0 comments

say something...

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
props+438
Video inside This is Janet Jackson. She will be 58 this year 💋
69 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
logo LeBron gets called out for stat padding
97 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
props+345
Post A Moment That Finished An Artist Career
287 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
props+523
Video inside Man builds backyard bar to get away from his wife..
77 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish