Well Damn Google is celebrating the birth of hip hop on its front page

most viewed right now
NBA LeBron James Covered His Mouth While Talking To Lonzo Ball After The Game ..
109 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside DJ Khaled pays homage to Wayne
13 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Even Dr.Disrespect can get caught up in the life it seems......
59 comments
@games
most viewed right now
NBA CHARLES BARKELY JUST PUNCHED SHAQ AND RAN FOR HIS LIFE :mjlmao:
57 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 4 months ago '17        #1
1015 pageviews
21 comments

ovogoon 187 heat pts187
space
space
$872 | Props total: 6313 6313
Well Damn Google is celebrating the birth of hip hop on its front page

I'm over on google mixing like a muthafukka image

visit this link https://www.google.com/we .. MKHd70ArEQPAgD

In August 11, 1973, an 18-year-old, Jamaican-American DJ who went by the name of Kool Herc threw a back-to-school jam at 1520 Sedgwick Avenue in the Bronx, New York. During his set, he decided to do something different. Instead of playing the songs in full, he played only their instrumental sections, or “breaks” - sections where he noticed the crowd went wild. During these “breaks” his friend Coke La Rock hyped up the crowd with a microphone. And with that, Hip Hop was born.

Today, we celebrate the 44th anniversary of that very moment with a first-of-its-kind Doodle featuring a custom logo graphic by famed graffiti artist Cey Adams, interactive turntables on which users can mix samples from legendary tracks, and a serving of Hip Hop history - with an emphasis on its founding pioneers. What’s more, the whole experience is narrated by Hip Hop icon Fab 5 Freddy, former host of “Yo! MTV Raps.”

To dig deeper into the significance of this moment and culture from a personal perspective, we invited the project’s executive consultant and partner, YouTube’s Global Head of Music Lyor Cohen (and former head of Def Jam Records), to share his thoughts:

“Yes, yes y'all! And it don't stop!” Today we acknowledge and celebrate a cultural revolution that's spanned 44 years and counting. It all started in the NYC Bronx, more commonly known as the Boogie Down Bronx. Following the fallout from the construction of the Cross Bronx Expressway in 1972 that demolished a lot of the neighborhood, times were particularly tough. The youth needed an outlet - a unifying sound, a beat, a voice to call their own. The Bronx DJ’s and MC’s rose to the task and the city loved them for it.

Hip Hop was accessible. A kid with little means and hard work could transform their turntable into a powerful instrument of expression (also illustrating hip hop’s technical innovation). Starting with folks like DJ Kool Herc, DJ Hollywood, and Grandmaster Flash, the grassroots movement created a new culture of music, art, and dance available to the 5 boroughs of the city and beyond.

Hip Hop was also rebellion against several norms of the time, including the overwhelming popularity of disco, which many in the community felt had unjustly overshadowed the recent groundbreaking works of James Brown and other soul impresarios from the 60’s. Specifically, they felt that the relatable storytelling and emotional truths shared in soul and blues had been lost in the pop-centric sounds of Disco. So Hip Hop recaptured that connection, beginning with the pioneers who brought back the evocative BOOM! BAP! rhythms of James Brown's drummer, Clyde Stubblefield.

It should be noted that early Hip Hop stood against the violence and drug culture that pervaded the time. My dear friend & first client Kurtis Blow once said “On one side of the street, big buildings would be burning down…while kids on the other side would be putting up graffiti messages like, 'Up with Hope. Down with Dope,' 'I Will Survive' and 'Lord, Show Me the Way!’”. The messages of resilience unified a community of people and were the backdrop of hip hop’s beginnings.

I won’t pretend I was present when Hip Hop began. I first engaged with Hip Hop music about ten years after its birth, when the culture was still a kid. I’d graduated from college and was working at a bank in Los Angeles. A year later, bored as hell, I quit. On a whim, I rented an abandoned hall and started booking shows. My policy was to provide a stage for the music that promoters were ignoring: punk-rock, reggae, and rap. It turned out to be a winning strategy. One of my very first shows included RUN DMC, and they absolutely k!llED IT. Following the success of those shows, I left LA for NYC and started working for Russell Simmons, who appointed me road manager for RUN DMC just as they were embarking on a European tour. It was December of 1984 and they found nothing but love on both sides of the English Channel. A month later, RUN DMC, along with Kurtis Blow, the Fat Boys, and Whodini, started touring massive arenas across the U.S.. To the rock establishment and corporate music business, hip hop was little more than a fad. But with acts selling out shows around the globe night after night, it was obvious that something bigger was brewing...

Hip Hop was disruptive. Ultimately, to me, it shows that people in any situation have the ability to create something powerful and meaningful. The progression of this culture and sound - from Kool Herc spinning James Brown breaks at a block party to Jay-Z, Kanye West, and Drake being some of the biggest forces in music 44 years later - is something that few people at that first party could have anticipated.

Hip Hop has done exactly what its founders set out to do, whether wittingly or unwittingly. It placed an accessible culture, relatable to any marginalized group in the world, at the forefront of music. In that spirit, here’s to BILLIONS of people getting a brief reminder that “Yes, yes y’all! And it WON’T stop!”
Sin and 17 others gave props

21 comments for "Well Damn Google is celebrating the birth of hip hop on its front page"

4 months ago '16        #2
Player Hater 177 heat pts177
space
space
$5,486 | Props total: 13878 13878
So what?

It surpassed rock as the number one genre not too long ago .

But hey mumble rap and skinny jeans ain't making money according to bx
Sin and 12 others slapped this ish

4 months ago '15        #3
NEWSKULL 107 heat pts107
space
space
$1,373 | Props total: 953 953
and it won't STOP!
Sin and 5 others gave props

4 months ago '11        #4
DJ Linx 4 heat pts
space
space
$890 | Props total: 1043 1043
Google ftw
Sin gave props

4 months ago '13        #5
Big Smoke FLA 
space
space
$3,623 | Props total: 9999 9999
Dope sh*t
Sin gave props

4 months ago '17        #6
antiHERO 22 heat pts22
space
space
space
$1,289 | Props total: 4087 4087
Love it!
Sin gave props

4 months ago '14        #7
consigliereA 80 heat pts80
space
space
$24,956 | Props total: 26470 26470
 4 months ago '05        #8
THEINFAMOUS 19 heat pts19
space
space
$47,194 | Props total: 11799 11799
They got real records on here
 4 months ago '16        #9
Toast2the 9 heat pts
space
space
$2,521 | Props total: 9489 9489
This is dope
 4 months ago '07        #10
young mad 1 heat pts
space
space
$11,599 | Props total: 7514 7514
 NEWSKULL said:
and it won't STOP!
Ever!
Sin gave props

4 months ago '07        #11
Ghost Terp 18 heat pts18
space
space
$15,623 | Props total: 3265 3265
Didn't know I shared my birthday with Hip Hop
Sin and 3 others gave props

4 months ago '12        #12
The Consultant 367 heat pts367
space
space
$25,322 | Props total: 30391 30391
I couldn't hear sh*t
Sin gave props

4 months ago '06        #13
ChevyBrah 216 heat pts216
space
space
space
$15,404 | Props total: 961 961
i need that program helpppppppp
 4 months ago '16        #14
Blackaveli 
space
space
space
$412 | Props total: 659 659
Between the sheets and stay with me

4 months ago '06        #15
servesurite 42 heat pts42
space
space
$9,315 | Props total: 1085 1085
best doodle yet...

fo' da culture
Mr Scaramucci and 1 others gave props

4 months ago '16        #16
Chevygang 21 heat pts21
space
space
$1,059 | Props total: 8176 8176
Why they really got some fire samples on there though...
 4 months ago '04        #17
TwinCaliber2kz 9 heat pts
space
space
$4,482 | Props total: 1887 1887

Jdog168 gave props

4 months ago '16        #18
PartiaI Reader 12 heat pts12
space
space
$2,103 | Props total: 7426 7426
 Ghost Terp said:
Didn't know I shared my birthday with Hip Hop

alright we get it, its your birthday today

happy birthday
Ghost Terp and 2 others gave props

4 months ago '08        #19
bkid 126 heat pts126
space
space
$9,244 | Props total: 4542 4542
just did the Apache break on this sh*t lol im feeling like Grandmaster Flash

too dope
 4 months ago '16        #20
Negusis 2 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,916 | Props total: 4662 4662
I spent 20 minutes on that page djing lol.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thread worthy Cute thick Latina
14 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Houston Better Stop Playing With Me 😩
38 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
99 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside 2 Arrest Made in The Murder of Rapper Chinx
116 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Michael Blackson comes for Kevin Hart, t.i. Comments
161 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
50 Cent screenshots Holyfathersteve’s thread
227 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ayo Cardi B sister tho.....!!!
66 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Lil Duval with the joke of the year
49 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy