most viewed right now
NBA D. Wade Is Giving J.R. His Spot Back
49 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
 Image(s) inside The tweets Lil B got his ass whooped for
35 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 4 months ago '07        #1
7654 pageviews
307 comments

Jago 1012 heat pts1012
space
space
space
$3,720 | Props total: 5113 5113
PCWorld: Can You Currently Get An Xbox One X PC Build For $500? Naw

Microsoft’s Xbox One X presents an interesting challenge for PC builders. Sure, if you want raw power, nothing beats the PC. But can you put together an Xbox One X equivalent for $500?

At that price point (and outside of that golden window of Black Friday sales and stellar combo/bundle deals on PC components), you're pushing the limits of what’s possible, particularly if you want to completely replicate the same experience Microsoft is promising hardcore console fans. Given today’s high RAM prices, the low availability of certain GPUs, and the dearth of 4K UHD drives, the results don’t come out cleanly in favor of a DIY PC.

Build #1: A basic 4K/30-fps gaming PC

To start, we’ll walk through a baseline build, which makes a few sacrifices but should still perform at 4K/30 fps.

Build notes

1. Prices current as of June 15, 2017.
2. Retailers chosen with shipping costs in mind—and the a.ssumption most people have an Amazon Prime account.
3. Cheap AM3+ motherboards like the ASRock 970 Pro R2.0 lack on-board Wi-Fi, so if you want wireless connectivity, prepare to shell out for either a Wi-Fi adapter or a better motherboard.
4. The price for this ASRock motherboard is after a $20 mail-in rebate.
5. See the Build Summary section for notes on availability.
6. This price is after $20 mail-in rebate.

Build breakdown

When comparing our build to the Xbox One X piece by piece, each platform’s advantages are clear. Our PC has more flexibility and muscle, while the Xbox One X is both highly compact and set in stone.

For the Xbox One X’s CPU, GPU, and memory, Microsoft chose a custom AMD APU that features eight 2.3GHz custom x86 cores, 40 Radeon compute units running at 1,172MHz, and 12GB of GDDR5 memory. AMD doesn’t have an equivalent APU available for DIY build purposes, so I chose to walk the line between the Xbox One X’s specs and recommended specs for a smooth PC gaming experience. In our build is the eight-core 3.3GHz AMD FX-8300, 8GB of DDR3/1600 RAM, and an 8GB Radeon RX 580. (My GPU choice does have one catch, which I’ve noted in the Build Summary below.)

This configuration nets you a (faster) eight-core CPU, enough RAM to avoid bottlenecks in system performance, and a GPU capable of 4K gaming at a minimum of 30 fps on Medium settings. However, some Xbox One X games may end up running more smoothly or with better visual fidelity on console than on this homebrew 4K machine. Unlike with the PC, developers can fine-tune their games for Microsoft’s console through a low-level API.

For storage, Microsoft hasn’t yet shared details on drive speed, type, or interface. All we currently know is what Digital Foundry revealed in its April 2017 preview: The Xbox One X will have a “1TB hard drive with a 50 percent increase in bandwidth.”

Without knowing how Microsoft arrived at that 50 percent figure, we could spend a lot of time speculating on what it means. (Do they mean a shift from SATA II/3Gbps to SATA III/6Gbps? Use of a solid-state hybrid drive? A larger cache?) Instead, I chose to keep this exercise simple and selected a SATA III 7200rpm Western Digital hard disk drive. While it’s possible that the Xbox One X's $500 price tag includes a SSHD, like in its now-discontinued Xbox One Elite model, that raises the price of this build without explicit cause.

The Xbox One X hard drive, as shown at Microsoft’s Xbox showcase at E3 2017.

The final pieces of this build are straightforward. In fact, you can use any reputable 500W power supply (the minimum you’ll need for this build), ATX case, and Blu-Ray drive—the ones listed in our build were chosen for how cheap they were at the time of publication.

Speaking of that Blu-Ray drive, it’s a far step down from the Xbox One X’s 4K UHD Blu-Ray drive. To stay even remotely near a final total of $500, you have to ditch support for playback of 4K UHD discs. So that means you can’t play your collection of 4K UHD movies in HDR on a compatible TV, if you already own one.

As for the operating system, we can’t go as cheap as the Xbox One X’s included variant of Windows 10, but we can get a W10 Home license at a heavy discount. How? By using a trick that Brad Chacos has mentioned to our staff for a while now: Buying a product key through Kinguin. It works, but be sure to get the Buyer Protection—the site functions like an eBay for software, and that insurance will protect you from shady sellers.

Build summary

As mentioned above, we wanted to replicate both the functionality and the price of the Xbox One X as closely as possible. You can’t do an exact 1:1 duplicate, thanks to a mix of Microsoft’s custom hardware design and slow release of specs, but this build is a fairly decent compromise between Xbox One X’s main features and the cost of PC components. This rig should play games in 4K at a minimum of 30 fps on a Medium graphics setting, support HDR, and play optical discs.

However, it’s more expensive than an Xbox One X by $152 (or more, if you’re bad about filing mail-in rebates). It lacks support for 4K UHD Blu-Ray discs. It uses a GPU that’s extremely difficult to find right now, so currently you’d have to pay more for a used RX 580 or buy a graphics card with less memory (Nvidia’s 6GB GTX 1060 instead of a 8GB Radeon RX 580). It doesn’t have built-in Wi-Fi support. And it’s not nearly as compact or small.

Build #2: The upgraded 4K/30-fps gaming PC

Our second build swaps out the standard Blu-Ray drive for a 4K UHD Blu-Ray drive—and changes the CPU and motherboard configuration as well.

Build Notes

1. Prices current as of June 15, 2017.
2. Retailers chosen with shipping costs in mind—and the a.ssumption most people have an Amazon Prime account.
3. The price for this ASRock motherboard is after $10 mail-in rebate.
4. See the Build Summary section for notes on availability.
5. This price is after $20 mail-in rebate.

Build breakdown

For the most part, this build shares the same approach as our first one. The key difference is the addition of Pioneer’s 4K UHD Blu-Ray drive to closely match what the Xbox One X has.

That 4K UHD Blu-Ray drive makes this build quite a bit more expensive than an Xbox One X. The BDR-211UBK itself is $130, and its highly restrictive system requirements also require a more expensive CPU and motherboard. The cheapest compatible processor is a $187 Kaby Lake Core i5-7400, and since only a few motherboards support the draconian DRM specifications for 4K UHD Blu-ray disc playback, the lowest-cost option is $149.

For the moment, you can’t get around this painful jump in cost. Pioneer has the only options for a 4K UHD Blu-Ray drive currently—and this one we’ve picked is the cheaper of the two.

Build summary

This upgraded rig nails the Xbox One X’s main features: It should run games in 4K at a minimum of 30 fps on a Medium graphics setting, support HDR, and play 4K UHD optical discs.

However, like the first build in this article, it has its downsides. First of all, if you build this PC at this very moment, you’ll have a rough time finding an RX 580. You’ll end up paying more or purchasing a GTX 1060 (which has less memory) instead.

It’s also much more expensive than the Xbox One X. At $944, you could buy the Xbox One X almost twice over.

Final thoughts

For the moment, Microsoft’s created a machine that the DIY PC crowd can’t currently match—not when you try to copy both its feature set and cost at the same time, at least. The 4K UHD Blu-Ray disc drive really throws a wrench into this build challenge, and even without it, the Xbox One X holds its own. This situation might be a first, given how often PC gamers tout benefits that console fans miss out on.

Still, it’s not a complete victory for the Xbox One X. PC gaming doesn’t require an optical drive, after all, so you can enjoy 4K gaming, 4K video content, and HDR through digital downloads. (The RX 580 will handle all that just fine.) That already drops the cost of the cheaper build we priced out.

Beyond that, these builds could change the closer we get to the Xbox One X’s launch date. When AMD’s Ryzen 3 line launches, it might offer even better CPU performance for the same price as the FX-8300. Prices might come down for RAM and Pioneer’s 4K UHD Blu-Ray drive. Availability for the RX 580 may increase again. And of course, the holiday shopping season should yield some sweet deals on at least some of these build components. By November 7th, the Xbox One X may be far easier to reproduce as a punchy $500 PC.
visit this link Can you build a $500 PC that beats the Xbox One X?
hot topic and 11 others gave props

TonPirecauchema slapped this ish

307 comments for "PCWorld: Can You Currently Get An Xbox One X PC Build For $500? Naw"

4 months ago '08        #2
Kewop Decam 78 heat pts78
space
space
space
$15,686 | Props total: 9180 9180
 BlaqThumGrows said:
I keep wanting to get into building a gaming PC but I'm not sure if the online experience is the same... PS4 is like the wild wild west with the shyt talking I don't wanna leave that behind makes gaming fun
Online in pc games when it comes to chat is different than ps4 and x1. Theres much more people talking through text than chat
MrMention gave props

Player Hater slapped this ish

4 months ago '05        #3
danny|M 7 heat pts
space
space
$36,171 | Props total: 2479 2479
This was already posted in another thread, but I will post this again.

Although $500 for this is a good value for what you're getting, you can definitely build a PC for around that same price that is comparable in performance or better. They're most likely using retail prices, but there are other ways to buy hardware. Some are legal, some are not, and some are loopholes.

I've seen some media outlets compare it to a high end PC, but that's simply not true at all. A "high end" PC is most likely going to run in the thousands of dollars, but the performance will be miles ahead of the X.
gizzle slapped this ish

4 months ago '14        #4
Pilscy 25 heat pts25
space
space
$6,512 | Props total: 10824 10824
I wanted to build a gaming PAC strictly for modding gta 5 but with the recent sh*t that basically have mods fu*king up the launcher, I'll stick to my MacBook and Xbox 1.

I can't still mod gta4 but it won't be gta 5 with all the nice mods and sh*t
 4 months ago '05        #5
WCIB 111 heat pts111
space
space
$24,948 | Props total: 9044 9044
Dead Masons gave props

4 months ago '05        #6
Micheal C. Will 14 heat pts14
space
space
$27,886 | Props total: 14303 14303
You can't upgrade the Xbox One X GPU or CPU, so this article is

[pic - click to view]

TonPirecauchema and 10 others gave props

Ejoly slapped this ish

4 months ago '07        #7
Jago 1012 heat pts1012 OP
space
space
space
 Hamadori Jin said:
1) Can definitely find a few better parts than what they gathered, and can do it at a better price than what they quoted.

2) Essentially you'd pay around $100 more for a PC of equal specs. Not to mention the fact that you're not just getting a "game console" - you're getting a full-fledged operating system.

3) You're easily paying 30-50% more for games with Xbox. That $100 difference is erased within a few mere game purchases.

4) While console players are hoping for sh*t like emulators, such applications are obviously already available.

5) Zero monthly fees to play online.

6) You won't pay $20-$40 for a higher resolution of a game that you already paid for when Xbox Two or whatever releases. Not to mention you have completely backwards compatibility.

Nice try, though.
 danny said:
This was already posted in another thread, but I will post this again.

Although $500 for this is a good value for what you're getting, you can definitely build a PC for around that same price that is comparable in performance or better. They're most likely using retail prices, but there are other ways to buy hardware. Some are legal, some are not, and some are loopholes.

I've seen some media outlets compare it to a high end PC, but that's simply not true at all. A "high end" PC is most likely going to run in the thousands of dollars, but the performance will be miles ahead of the X.
Feel free to list a budget build that's no more than $500 that has all the comparable hardware and features of an Xbox One X. If you're able to legitimately find better prices, please share.
landlord151515 and 7 others gave props

4 months ago '08        #8
Gmo BlaZe 28 heat pts28
space
space
$3,864 | Props total: 630 630
Irregardless of the specs. An Xbox One X is still an Xbox One. Its biggest flaw.

Nothing will make this console good other than the games on it.

PS2>Xbox 360>PS3. All about software.
BasedGawd and 2 others gave props

landlord151515 and 14 others slapped this ish

4 months ago '05        #9
danny|M 7 heat pts
space
space
$36,171 | Props total: 2479 2479
 Jago said:
Feel free to list a budget build that's no more than $500 that has all the comparable hardware and features of an Xbox One X. If you're able to legitimately find better prices, please share.
I could, but given the fact that you didn't even read/comprehend my post in its entirety I'm not going to waste my time.
Hamadori Jin and 2 others gave props

Kden and 10 others slapped this ish

4 months ago '15        #10
TonPirecauchema 4 heat pts
space
space
$547 | Props total: 1286 1286
My ninja had to the price of the Xbox one x what you pay to play online for 1 year... Nah 5 years, your console doesn't have all the other features a pc can offer, you dont only play game on a pc, foh with that, in less than five years you will need to buy another upgraded console but that's your money do what you want stop justifying your purchase
Static3IVERSON gave props

landlord151515 and 2 others slapped this ish

4 months ago '14        #11
bangaondatrack 
space
space
$179 | Props total: 335 335
play on whatever the fu*k you wanna play on.

cuz at the end of the day, who really gives a fu*k about your decision to
go console or pc? you and your damn self.
Kden and 10 others gave props

4 months ago '16        #12
Quinn 8 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,769 | Props total: 2222 2222
i just relaized...you think we have to build entire PC's to play games

the price for playing 4k is roughly the price of the GPU you purchase...since 90% of general home PCs can just upgrade with a GPU.....since 90% of the general population already has a desktop at home.....so yea....cheaper to play PC
Ejoly and 4 others slapped this ish

4 months ago '14        #13
LocdUpProd 625 heat pts625
space
space
$14,646 | Props total: 7718 7718
Whats funny is most people who want a scorpio owns a One already

Essentially already paying more than $800+
mastermind_AD and 6 others gave props

Ejoly and 1 others slapped this ish

4 months ago '07        #14
Jago 1012 heat pts1012 OP
space
space
space
 danny said:
I could, but given the fact that you didn't even read/comprehend my post in its entirety I'm not going to waste my time.
You came to the conclusion that I didn't read or couldn't comprehend your post because I simply asked you to list out the parts for a comparable build?

Would have been easier for you say you couldn't create the list for $500.
CrAkKedOuT and 7 others gave props

4 months ago '04        #15
One-O-One 14 heat pts14
space
space
$10,198 | Props total: 8911 8911
The Xbox One X is definitely a luxury item and kinda pointless right now. That sh*t ain't for penny pinchers. The cost is high and it's usage as far as gaming is low (at least for the next two years).
 4 months ago '15        #16
Kden 44 heat pts44
space
space
$6,400 | Props total: 14138 14138
 Quinn said:
i just relaized...you think we have to build entire PC's to play games

the price for playing 4k is roughly the price of the GPU you purchase...since 90% of general home PCs can just upgrade with a GPU.....since 90% of the general population already has a desktop at home.....so yea....cheaper to play PC
90% of people have desktops?

Maybe over the age of 40 have sh*tty old ones that you couldnt even upgrade. People have phones and laptops nobody buying a desktop unless they want to play pc games.
Ejoly and 4 others gave props

enetblazin4eva slapped this ish

4 months ago '07        #17
mainevent4u88 98 heat pts98
space
space
$9,115 | Props total: 4441 4441
Peasants still trying to claim PC gaming is too expensive?

You clowns must not realize that 10 console games cost more than the console itself.

For you peasants who are bad at math:

Ten $60 games costs over $600.

So if you want a console and ten games it will cost you over $1000
Plus subscription fees to play online.

You could have a PC and twice as many games for less.

Meanwhile my average price spent per game (according to steam) is around $26.

Hell I've bought humble bundles that INCLUDE ten games for less than $10.

But y'all too busy buying $60 games and trading them in for $10 to realize you are being finessed.

Static3IVERSON and 20 others gave props

Ejoly and 5 others slapped this ish

4 months ago '04        #18
CrAkKedOuT 938 heat pts938
space
space
space
$23,402 | Props total: 14451 14451
Good article. Biggest pain in the a.ss is the Blu-Ray 4K UHD drive.
 4 months ago '16        #19
drFlex 
space
space
$1,270 | Props total: 3169 3169
If you aren't willing to spend $1000+ on building a pc take your broke a.ss home
prettytony514 and 1 others slapped this ish

4 months ago '16        #20
Bean2k33 
space
space
space
$453 | Props total: 1008 1008
n*ggas didnt add 4k TVs with HDR capabilities into the equation either. You spending atleast a grand to get the full experience of the Xbox one X.
gagethedesigner gave props

CrAkKedOuT and 1 others slapped this ish

Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Boxden member flies 6000 miles from Barcelona to Las Vegas to meet a gi..
325 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside ATL come get ya mans
70 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Obie Trice says he doesn't talk to Dr Dre and still has unreleased Proo..
65 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Oct 22 - 9.7 Million-Year-Old Human Teeth Fossil Could 'Rewrite Human History'
118 comments
20 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Niggas what the fu-k is going on at neogaf?
103 comments
20 hours ago
@games
most viewed right now
How Every Nigga Acts for 24 Hours After A Haircut
66 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Well Damn French must be packing something huge under them trousers
77 comments
2 days ago