DaOmega_1 reviews "Wonder Woman"

most viewed right now
72 comments @sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

2 years ago '05        #1
7586 page views
116 comments

DaOmega_1 294 heat pts294
space
space
$15,116 | Props total: 8102 8102
DaOmega_1 reviews "Wonder Woman"

“Wonder Woman” is the purest representation of a superhero the sub-genre has seen since the ’78 “Superman”. Guided by confident direction and a warmly earnest (yet subtly subversive) tone, “Wonder Woman” finds ways to stand out from the recent glut of superheroes films.

What makes this film so refreshing is how uncluttered it is. The modern superhero is embattled… Filled with personal struggle and trying to find a balance between their duties as heroes and their desires as humans. Spider-Man, Iron Man, Batman, and even Superman all seemed burdened by the sheer enormity of their responsibilities to this world.

Not Wonder Woman. She recognizes this responsibility and acts. She doesn’t think twice. She doesn’t doubt her duties as a hero. In fact, the “burden” of it all seems to empower her even more. She’s warm, empathetic, powerful, and most of all, she’s having fun discovering her powers.

This is such a welcome change from what we’re used to seeing these days. And, it’s all thanks to Gal Gadot’s star-making turn as Diana Prince/Wonder Woman. She embeds this movie with heart and soul. Her chemistry with Chris Pine as Steve Trevor is the glue the holds the story together. Their romance doesn’t feel forced or corny. It feels properly earned.

A thing this film does particularly well is it puts us in the head of Diana Prince without ever heavy-handedly pummeling us with obvious hints of where she’s at emotionally. Patty Jenkins’ sensitive direction brings these qualities forward. The first act and most of the second act is Wonder Woman experiencing the world for the first time. It starts out as fish-out-of-water comedy, then Diana slowly learns about humanity’s corruption. In fact, the action doesn't really get going until midway through the film. We don’t even see her in costume until then. However, at that point, we see Wonder Woman witness the world around her, see war, and see human suffering... So much so, that when she finally whips out the sword and shield, it feels like an appropriately big moment.

Moments like these are such a precious rarity in superhero films. When the emotion is properly earned, the tension is organically raised, and we’re 100% invested in our protagonist, it’s literal magic. And, this film conjures that with Wonder Woman’s story arc. I can count on one hand how many times I’ve seen a comic book movie do ALL of these things successfully. This would be one of those times.

The action is fantastic. Wonder Woman is probably the best f*ghter in the JLA. This film demonstrates that as she runs through a literal army with ease, having fun while she’s doing it. So are we. Each action sequence is based in emotion, and it’s hard not to get swept into it all. Even when we reach the noisy CGI-filled climax, the emotion is the thing that ties it all together and makes it work.

I do find myself wishing we got to spend more time on Themyscira. That world and the Amazonians are so badass, you feel legitimately sad that you don’t get to spend more time with them. This brings me to an issue with the film… Pacing. All the stuff on Themyscira feels like it happens too quickly. Whereas the stuff in London feels way too slow. I’m actually not sure how to fix this. So, it’s an issue that is unfortunately attached to the story being told.

Another problem is a fairly basic one: the villains. They’re ill-defined, and lack any real nuance. It’s disappointing because they have legit actors filling in these roles, and they’re not given much meat to chew on… Especially Dr. Poison. She is so interesting in what little we see… But, that’s the problem… We see so little. The same goes for the final big baddie we meet in the 3rd act. He shows up with very little fanfare.

Those things aside, what you have is a strong addition to the DCEU, and a purely entertaining blockbuster. Wonder Woman is a strongly acted and strongly directed film that does justice to its protagonist. If this is a sign of things to come for not only the DCEU but for superhero films in general, I think this genre has a longer shelf-life than originally thought.

Also, so far this year, it’s three for three in superhero films. All of them have been excellent thus far. Let’s hope a certain web crawler continues the trend.

Last edited by DaOmega_1; 06-03-2017 at 10:31 PM..

116 comments for "DaOmega_1 reviews "Wonder Woman""

2 years ago '06        #2
Michael 785 heat pts785
space
space
$88,922 | Props total: 23422 23422

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

Last edited by Michael; 06-03-2017 at 10:38 PM..

2 years ago '08        #3
tdnupe3 15 heat pts15
space
space
$9,063 | Props total: 27707 27707
@ review

2 years ago '08        #4
tdnupe3 15 heat pts15
space
space
I'll be honest, I was beginning to get burned out on superhero films because they all seem to tell the same story. Hero realizes he needs to be a hero and he struggles to balance his personal life and his hero life.

I really hoped that man of steel was going to break that trend. But it didn't. Then, I thought, well BvS might break it because we already had the superman origin story. But I was once again let down.

WW and Superman have always been interesting characters to me simply because of their complexity. Like, superman is really superman, and his costume is clark kent. He didn't turn into superman, he just is that way. Clark Kent is supposed to be the way that he views us as humans. Clumsy and weak. I think the two films i talked about did a poor job of portraying this. But I digress.

I'm excited to see Wonder Woman.

2 years ago '04        #5
JFamis 244 heat pts244
space
space
$17,570 | Props total: 5862 5862
Well said...

2 years ago '05        #6
DaOmega_1 294 heat pts294 OP
space
space
 tdnupe3 said
I'll be honest, I was beginning to get burned out on superhero films because they all seem to tell the same story. Hero realizes he needs to be a hero and he struggles to balance his personal life and his hero life.

I really hoped that man of steel was going to break that trend. But it didn't. Then, I thought, well BvS might break it because we already had the superman origin story. But I was once again let down.

WW and Superman have always been interesting characters to me simply because of their complexity. Like, superman is really superman, and his costume is clark kent. He didn't turn into superman, he just is that way. Clark Kent is supposed to be the way that he views us as humans. Clumsy and weak. I think the two films i talked about did a poor job of portraying this. But I digress.

I'm excited to see Wonder Woman.
I feel like this year has the potential to be one of the best the genre has ever seen. Not since 2008 have we seen such a wide variety of styles and tones. Logan was a gritty existential western. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is a space opera. Wonder Woman is a WWI-era film.

2 years ago '06        #7
Jhnnyblz427 198 heat pts198
space
space
$41,257 | Props total: 31775 31775

2 years ago '08        #8
tdnupe3 15 heat pts15
space
space
 DaOmega_1 said
I feel like this year has the potential to be one of the best the genre has ever seen. Not since 2008 have we seen such a wide variety of styles and tones. Logan was a gritty existential western. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is a space opera. Wonder Woman is a WWI-era film.
True. I really enjoyed Logan. I liked GGII as well, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the first one. It was almost like they were trying too hard to make the movie fun and "hip" that they didn't realize that the plot itself, mixed with the acting, was good enough to make the movie good. It was almost a victim of being "too fun of a movie".

2 years ago '04        #9
NAKHI ALLAH 1 heat pts
space
space
$8,058 | Props total: 2322 2322
 tdnupe3 said
@ review

the only person i trust when it comes to movies...

i knew Gal Gadot was goin to do her thing.....
my only concern at first was her size but after seeing the 1st trailer those doubts went out the window

2 years ago '05        #10
Micheal C. Will 27 heat pts27
space
space
$31,067 | Props total: 27030 27030
It was a good film but I really don't agree with that first statement....

“Wonder Woman” is the purest representation of a superhero the sub-genre has seen since the ’78 “Superman”

"Batman 1989", holds that honor.

Wonder Woman is on par with origins like Captain America: The First Avenger but not quite as good as DCEU Man of Steel. WW is conventional and safe...that's why everybody has mostly nothing negative to say.

Films like MOS and BVS had people talking and debating, rather good or bad we need that.

2 years ago '08        #11
tdnupe3 15 heat pts15
space
space
 NAKHI ALLAH said
the only person i trust when it comes to movies...

i knew Gal Gadot was goin to do her thing.....
my only concern at first was her size but after seeing the 1st trailer those doubts went out the window
I haven't seen it yet, but I feared they were going to make it the same old superhero origin story. Especially with it being DC. I thought they were going to make it dark and depressing with a hero overcoming his/her own demons and coming to grips with their powers while realizing they have to now be a hero.

It seems like this film is more about her discovering her powers and having fun with them while embracing the role as a hero instead of accepting the fact that she has to do it.

I knew she was going to be a beast in the film ever since seeing her in BvS.

2 years ago '12        #12
OldBusiness 176 heat pts176
space
space
$28,663 | Props total: 48156 48156
 tdnupe3 said
I haven't seen it yet, but I feared they were going to make it the same old superhero origin story. Especially with it being DC. I thought they were going to make it dark and depressing with a hero overcoming his/her own demons and coming to grips with their powers while realizing they have to now be a hero.

It seems like this film is more about her discovering her powers and having fun with them while embracing the role as a hero instead of accepting the fact that she has to do it.

I knew she was going to be a beast in the film ever since seeing her in BvS.
I'm a comic book movie hater tbh. My girl wanted to see it so we went the other day

I give it an 8/10, and if you know me-that's a great score lol. The only problem I had is a few cheesy forced feminist parts...I really liked the villain and I don't think those saying the way he was used at the end were right. I'd elaborate, but that would spoil a good bit of the movie...I did think the villain was dope

2 years ago '04        #13
Maroon_Tiger 30 heat pts30
space
space
$52,403 | Props total: 8258 8258
WW was a great film.... idk if DC can keep this sh*t up everytime...

I think the movie will be nominated and will win an oscar... maybe best orig screenplay or costume/makeup

Its better than the average marvel movie but i gotta take some time to think about where it ranks alltime

Where i think the movie will be hurt from is the runtime.. its tooo long... maybe a solid 30 mins too long(142mins)... but its a great film

2 years ago '05        #14
space
space
 tdnupe3 said
True. I really enjoyed Logan. I liked GGII as well, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the first one. It was almost like they were trying too hard to make the movie fun and "hip" that they didn't realize that the plot itself, mixed with the acting, was good enough to make the movie good. It was almost a victim of being "too fun of a movie".
I would disagree. I think GOTG2 is a stronger film than the first one... Better more nuanced villain (in fact, might be the strongest written Marvel villain), better more emotional story, inventive action sequences. I think it has the potential to be one of the best films in the entire MCU.

Micheal C. Will said
It was a good film but I really don't agree with that first statement....

“Wonder Woman” is the purest representation of a superhero the sub-genre has seen since the ’78 “Superman”

"Batman 1989", holds that honor.

Wonder Woman is on par with origins like Captain America: The First Avenger but not quite as good as DCEU Man of Steel. WW is conventional and safe...that's why everybody has mostly nothing negative to say.

Films like MOS and BVS had people talking and debating, rather good or bad we need that.
When I say that, I mean films that represent the entire idea of what a superhero is supposed to be... Without the baggage of modern-day conventions and angst. Neither Wonder Woman or '78 Superman wrestle with the idea of if they want to be a hero. They just know they are, and they know they must f*ght evil.

That's more of what I mean.

And, man.... Wonder Woman is much much MUCH better than the first Captain America. I loved MOS. BvS is, objectively speaking, not good (I still like it tho).

2 years ago '10        #15
Jonnyy McFly 263 heat pts263
space
space
$10,434 | Props total: 6467 6467
Patty made this movie with the Template of Donnie Superman. so great Comparison. Like i said before this Era was made for Donnie .

also those slaps

2 years ago '05        #16
space
space
 Jonnyy McFly said
Patty made this movie with the Template of Donnie Superman. so great Comparison. Like i said before this Era was made for Donnie .

also those slaps
I would've bet money on either of those slaps coming from either of those people.

2 years ago '07        #17
CadillacVyse 1018 heat pts1018
space
space
space
$28,742 | Props total: 21036 21036
I've ignored most wonderwoman threads, commercials, and trailers...but after reading this might give it a shot on netflix. Still aint seen BVS or MoS.

2 years ago '06        #18
shortdog26 26 heat pts26
space
space
$2,441 | Props total: 3707 3707
He-Man Woman hater club members have been pretty quiet so far...loved this movie, not as much as MoS but still gonna be a favorite of mine

2 years ago '05        #19
space
space
 CadillacVyse said
I've ignored most wonderwoman threads, commercials, and trailers...but after reading this might give it a shot on netflix. Still aint seen BVS or MoS.
WB movies usually don't end up in Netflix.

So, you'd either be waiting a little longer, or you could check out a matinee. There seems to be a consensus on the movie being really good. So, I'd say it's worth a shot.

2 years ago '07        #20
Daville502 1 heat pts
space
space
$3,428 | Props total: 2924 2924
As good as gal gadot was as ww i was even more impressed that chris pine made me like steve trevor a character i never cared for at all ever.

2 years ago '07        #21
calle13 465 heat pts465
space
space
$6,113 | Props total: 11663 11663
 Doc Zombie said

[pic - click to view]

.....DC did right by one of their chosen few.....Finally.
@ good review ! Glad you liked it man !! Most def DCEU's best

@ bro.. there you go.. There's enough proof that you should go see this movie in theaters ! Def worth watching.

2 years ago '09        #22
sammcc30 
space
space
$2,080 | Props total: 1898 1898
 CadillacVyse said
So you let reviews dictate what you watch?

2 years ago '07        #23
CadillacVyse 1018 heat pts1018
space
space
space
$28,742 | Props total: 21036 21036
 sammcc30 said
So you let reviews dictate what you watch?
On something yeah.

2 years ago '09        #24
Theodore Twombly 75 heat pts75
space
space
$8,529 | Props total: 16087 16087
 calle13 said
@ good review ! Glad you liked it man !! Most def DCEU's best

@ bro.. there you go.. There's enough proof that you should go see this movie in theaters ! Def worth watching.
@ is a cam wh*re. He ain't seeing sh*t in theaters.

2 years ago '05        #25
space
space
 Doc Zombie said
This movie JUST DON'T SEEM....money worthy.

This is just posturing at this point. Just see the f*cking thing.

Home      

most viewed right now
+45online now  24
Busting big nuts on this Big Butt
60 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+38online now  19
Image(s) inside Mar 24 - Man spikes coworkers’ drinks with LSD to change their ‘negati..
126 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
+31online now  19
I let it soak in but "Us" wasn't it.
183 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
online now  6
Paper work of Casanova 2x snitching surfaces