David Stern says the Lakers could’ve traded for Chris Paul if Mitch Kupchak hadn’t ‘panick

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

2 years ago '11        #1
7185 page views
79 comments

Bullet22 75 heat pts75
space
space
$12,959 | Props total: 7577 7577
David Stern says the Lakers could’ve traded for Chris Paul if Mitch Kupchak hadn’t ‘panick

For any Los Angeles Lakers fans who have only begun watching the team after their rejected trade for Chris Paul known only as “The Veto,” first of all I’m sorry. You’ve had to watch some terrible basketball.

As a refresher, the Lakers agreed in principle to a three-team trade with the New Orleans Hornets and Houston Rockets that would’ve allowed Los Angeles to dump salary while ending up with Chris Paul in possibly the biggest trade heist of all-time.

That was not to be, however, with then-NBA Commissioner David Stern stepping in and infamously vetoing the trade for “basketball reasons” (yes, that’s an actual quote).

Since that fateful day, Stern has said many times he rejected the trade in his capacity as acting owner of the Hornets (the NBA owned the team at the time), not as commissioner, but during an appearance on the “Nunyo and Company” podcast, Stern revealed some new information: The Lakers still could have potentially completed a deal for Paul (emphasis mine).

“(My decision) was only based on what was good for New Orleans, or what was not good for New Orleans. It had nothing to do with the Lakers at all. And in fact, in the course of the weekend, we thought we could re-do the deal. We really thought that Houston would be ready to part with Kyle Lowry; and we had a trade lined up for Odom that would have gotten us a good first round draft pick. Not we, but my basketball folks. But Mitch Kupchack at the time panicked and moved Odom to Dallas. So the piece wasn’t even there for us to play with at the time. So that was it — just about what was good for the then-New Orleans Hornets."

It’s important to note here that this is just Stern’s view/statement on what happened, and the Kupchak wasn’t given a chance to tell his side of the story. The former Lakers general manager might have seen the situation differently, or seen variables Stern is either unaware of or ignoring.

That being said, if Kupchak really did trade Odom to Dallas with a Paul deal potentially still on the table, it’s impossible to argue that decision didn’t hurt the Lakers. The team only received a trade exception and a top-20 protected first-round pick in exchange for Odom, so it’s not like they had some massive haul on the table that couldn’t wait.

It’s understandable if Kupchak felt pressure to trade Odom in the wake of his reaction nearly being traded for Paul, but if the deal for Paul was still somewhat on the table like Stern says it was, he should have been more patient.

We’ll likely never know for sure what exactly happened in some of the weirdest and most controversial trade talks in NBA history, but it seems like new details about “The Veto” won’t stop trickling out anytime soon.

visit this link http://www.silverscreenan .. k-podcast-veto

79 comments for "David Stern says the Lakers could’ve traded for Chris Paul if Mitch Kupchak hadn’t ‘panick"

2 years ago '16        #2
MHP Trotty 471 heat pts471
space
space
$11,164 | Props total: 45025 45025
Mitch fu*ked up his last 6 years in LA.

It's like he lost all his magic.

2 years ago '05        #3
Ron Swanson 257 heat pts257
space
space
$39,077 | Props total: 47559 47559
Stern, shut the fu*k up

2 years ago '16        #4
Glove 64 heat pts64
space
space
$5,374 | Props total: 14891 14891
Old fu*king gremlin trying to save face. Go die in peace f*ggot. We know what you are and what you did to the Lakers

2 years ago '05        #5
Stuart Scott 221 heat pts221
space
space
$26,813 | Props total: 26557 26557
David stern >>>

2 years ago '14        #6
4evaabso 47 heat pts47
space
space
$23,476 | Props total: 21342 21342
Sure David, sure...
We all know, Dan Gilbert and Mark Cuban bi*ched and moaned..

2 years ago '11        #7
Bullet22 75 heat pts75 OP
space
space
 Trotty Glizzy said

I mean, they recovered decently with the Howard and Nash trades. Easy to say now it was terrible, but it was the best chance possible to keep Kobe's window open for another title.

After that though, it kinda seemed like there was no plan in place to get guys here. The negative feedback Magic got from free agents was the end for him and Jim.....and the Deng and Mozgov contracts. Good God those were atrocious.

2 years ago '07        #8
joshdogg26 194 heat pts194
space
space
$35,634 | Props total: 15686 15686
 4evaabso said
Sure David, sure...
and owned the team, so...

2 years ago '14        #9
Mr Harrow 44 heat pts44
space
space
$16,417 | Props total: 21203 21203
 Clutch City Kid said
Stern, shut the fu*k up

[pic - click to view]

2 years ago '16        #10
MHP Trotty 471 heat pts471
space
space
$11,164 | Props total: 45025 45025
 Mr Harrow said

[pic - click to view]

The Melo remix is BX suicide

2 years ago '16        #11
BxCastro 1 heat pts
space
space
$6,621 | Props total: 11634 11634
 Stuart Scott said
David stern >>>
Facts....

Silver listens to bron too much talking bout cutting down on back to back to backs after Bron complained. Stern would of told him to kick rocks

2 years ago '13        #12
dUb IV 8 heat pts
space
space
$752 | Props total: 1729 1729
 Glove said
Old fu*king gremlin trying to save face. Go die in peace f*ggot. We know what you are and what you did to the Lakers
Why are you so angry?

2 years ago '11        #13
Bullet22 75 heat pts75 OP
space
space
 ThirtyThree said
They were gonna get dragic, why do they need Lowry? They were gonna get some picks too
Not sure, but doubt they would have complained about taking him as well. Wonder if the Rockets still regret moving Lowry btw

2 years ago '16        #14
dj31590 
space
space
$5,219 | Props total: 10742 10742
 Glove said
Oooooooh I get it now. No wonder you hate Bron so much, you're a Kobe stan

It all makes sense

dUb IV said
Why are you so angry?
I just figured it out, he's a Kobe stan.

2 years ago '07        #15
kakish 9 heat pts
space
space
$13,560 | Props total: 2557 2557
 Trotty Glizzy said

He never had Magic. He just had Kobe.

2 years ago '10        #16
olook up 
space
space
$3,898 | Props total: 4077 4077
Let that dumpster fire burn. Along with the knicks

2 years ago '06        #17
Don Kaliko 16 heat pts16
space
space
$4,821 | Props total: 2745 2745
But there was no cp3 deal the story keeps changing.

Last edited by Don Kaliko; 05-27-2017 at 01:26 PM..

2 years ago '13        #18
Murker99 89 heat pts89
space
space
$5,143 | Props total: 3782 3782
sh*t was a funny situation at time. The hornets have been trash since then and so have the Lakers. Instead of having one sh*tty team now you created another sh*tty team with the Lakers. This was good for basketball eh? A lot of Lakers fans haven't recovered....That hurts ratings

2 years ago '13        #19
i? 789 heat pts789
space
space
$17,913 | Props total: 40058 40058
Lonzo, DLo, bi > cp3

2 years ago '12        #20
Outcast Outlaw 
space
space
$1,956 | Props total: 4366 4366
didnt odom want out after the failed trade? and odom chose dallas too right?

2 years ago '14        #21
valleyxxlordz 14 heat pts14
space
space
$5,826 | Props total: 6424 6424
As a lakers fan I'm really not that bitter anymore this all happened I mean if it wasn't for stern and his corrupt ways the stars wouldn't have aligned for us getting Lonzo this year's draft, getting Ingram and Russell hell randle wouldn't have been here either so to that thanks David stern thank you and god bless your righteous soul

I've always been a Silver type of guy anyways

2 years ago '14        #22
valleyxxlordz 14 heat pts14
space
space
$5,826 | Props total: 6424 6424
 Eazy123 said
Lonzo, DLo, bi > cp3
Add randle Larry nance Jr and Clarkson to that bruh >>>>

2 years ago '16        #23
Donald Slump 3 heat pts
space
space
$1,139 | Props total: 3504 3504
Stupid a.ss Laker fans think the world is out to get them Stern himself said if he could, he'd have a "Lakers vs Lakers" finals every year

It's obvious that trade was a terrible deal for New Orleans, that is why Stern who was the ACTING OWNER for the Hornets at the time, rejected the trade. It is not that difficult people.

2 years ago '16        #24
Glove 64 heat pts64
space
space
$5,374 | Props total: 14891 14891
 dj31590 said
Oooooooh I get it now. No wonder you hate Bron so much, you're a Kobe stan

It all makes sense

I just figured it out, he's a Kobe stan.
I'm a Laker fan and have always said the Lakers are bigger than Kobe. It's understandable you would conflate my Laker fandom with Kobe stans since a great portion of them are fans of Kobe himself rather than the team as a whole. First and foremost I recognize Kareem and Jordan as the GOAT. My fave team is the Lakers, and Le-Larry is a fraud. Part 3 later this afternoon. Stick around.

2 years ago '12        #25
sayyam 22 heat pts22
space
space
$1,054 | Props total: 1067 1067
 4evaabso said
Sure David, sure...
Meant to prop

Home      

most viewed right now
+30online now  27
Florence, SC: Routine Traffic Stop Ends With Officers Discovering Bag Of Human..
106 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+63online now  25
Video inside So Basically Gucci Mane Confirmed Niggas Don't fu-k With Eminem Like Th..
792 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+102online now  22
Image(s) inside Slim with a cake
74 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+21online now  20
Dec 17 - Donald Trump has fu-ked the stock market
130 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
+50online now  14
Video inside You’re Doing it Wrong... The REAL Double Wrench Method
35 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+16online now  14
Video inside Tupac’s Quad Studio Robber Dexter Isaac Says Pacs Man Stretch Set Him U..
214 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+26online now  10
Kage (Evil Ryu) Street Fighter 5
76 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
online now  6
Red Dead Online's Biggest Problem Is Not That It Costs $600 To Buy Everything