Article inside They're shutting down sites out here! :mad:
55 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Imhotep Puzzy Nation! Angela Rye Just Caught Another Body On CNN
142 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Read The Story Of #UberBae: Woman Who Drove A Side Chick To Her Man’s ..
77 comments
@wild'ish

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

1 week ago '16        #1
1039 pageviews
32 comments

DizAznLuvPho 23 heat pts23
space
space
space
$309 | Props total: 1295 1295
Gizmodo Review for the Power Rangers

The final act of Power Rangers is everything you could want from a Power Rangers movie. It’s fun, funny, action-packed, and filled with so many Zords and monsters that you’ll actually feel like you’re watching a big-budget update of the popular kids’ franchise. The problem is that the 90 minutes preceding it wants as little to do with the Power Rangers as possible.

For its majority, Power Rangers is a heavy-handed, character-forward teen drama with a little bit of Rangers stuff sprinkled in. It’s way, way less interested in the characters as color-coded superheroes than it is with their struggles to grow up and accept the responsibility of being Power Rangers. It’s not a bad story, but it’s so devoted to its teen drama it doesn’t have time for f!ghting and Zords and everything that makes the franchise fun, so overall the movie feels wildly uneven and, ultimately, disappointing.

As you could tell right from the characters’ muted, overcomplicated uniforms, it’s obvious director Dean Israelite (Project Almanac) didn’t want to make a bright, colorful Power Rangers movie. After a promising, yet dark, prologue featuring Bryan Cranston’s Zordon and Elizabeth Banks’ Rita, we meet Jason (Dacre Montgomery) as he’s committing a crime and getting into a violent car accident. The film then cuts to black and the words “Power Rangers” appear in a very small font in the bottom corner of the screen—it’s the opening of a Steven Soderbergh movie, not a Power Rangers one. From there, we follow Jason as he goes into detention, meets a few fellow outcasts and, eventually, they all haphazardly meet at a rock quarry almost an hour outside of their town. There they find the power coins and begin their journey to becoming Power Rangers.

As this is all happening, it’s obvious from the realistic setting and muted visuals that the film is taking the material incredibly seriously. Yes, it gets to the Power Rangers stuff fairly quickly but it all feels secondary to the teenagers’ problems. Zack (Ludi Lin) has a sick mother. Trini’s (Becky G.) parents don’t understand who she truly is. Kimberly (Naomi Scott) is dealing with a bad case of cyber-bullying and Billy (R.J. Cyler) is ostracized because he’s on the spectrum. Add that to Jason’s problem of throwing his life away for a dumb prank and these kids obviously have some issues.

This could have been a great parallel, right? They need to deal with their personal problems and the difficulties of becoming Power Rangers simultaneously, and these conflicts could have informed each other. But at almost every turn the Power Ranger training and mythology plays back-up to the teen drama. There’s rarely a sense of “wow” early in the film and the characters almost never think about the bigger picture of the world being in danger. They are so laser-focused on their small-town lives and high school problems that it seems like they barely care about becoming Power Rangers or saving the world. They say they care, but the movie doesn’t show any evidence of it. And since they don’t care, neither do we. It all just ends up making the film feel super slow, with the exception of a training montage or two.

But once you get past all that the kids finally put on the costumes and jump into action. At this point, the audience I saw the film with cheered, because the movie has finally delivered on its promise. It’s the Power Rangers! Zords! Rita! Goldar! f!ghting! But something is off... literally. The kids don’t wear their iconic masks, so we can see their faces almost the whole time. Even in this huge, ludicrous action scene, the film refuses to fully embrace the mystique of the Power Rangers.

To their credit, the cast does their best in their roles. Elizabeth Banks seems to be the only person aware she’s in a Power Rangers movie and she acts with pure, devilish delight. The kids all embody their characters fairly well, too; obviously, the script was written to give them maximum room to grow as characters in the film and they do just that. R.J. Cyler’s Billy, in particular, is a character that’s the audience can latch on too. It’s just a shame they weren’t given the same memo as Banks that this franchise is less The Breakfast Club and more monsters and robots.

Despite the fun of the third act, it can’t erase those first 90 minutes, and the harsh tonal shift between the two. It’s hard to imagine that young kids—arguably the prime Power Rangers audience—would enjoy sitting through all that talking and angst before getting to the good stuff, although maybe they will. Maybe for kids, the teen heroes are simple and charismatic enough that they’ll latch onto and look up to them, sympathize with their problems and truly felt the evolution when they become Power Rangers.

Maybe. But walking out of the movie I had a revelation: The problem with Power Rangers is that it establishes a world where five kids in robot dinosaurs don’t belong. In a film devoted to exploring Billy, Jason, Kimberly, Zack, and Trini’s teenage angst, somehow it’s the Rangers who end up not fitting in.
hot topic and 2 others gave props

32 comments for "Gizmodo Review for the Power Rangers"

1 week ago '04        #2
JFamis 214 heat pts214
space
space
$16,297 | Props total: 2423 2423
I always knew this movie would be bad.
storyboutdamans and 2 others gave props

1 week ago '16        #3
DizAznLuvPho 23 heat pts23 OP
space
space
space
$309 | Props total: 1295 1295
 JFamis said:
I had High Hopes for it. Seems like all the good scenes are already in the previews
 1 week ago '08        #4
tupacnasfan 49 heat pts49
space
space
$15,935 | Props total: 1908 1908
This reviewer is right, this movie is so bad, just another reason why the power rangers franchise jumped the shark after season 2.

(the first two seasons were good after that it shot to hell).
 1 week ago '07        #5
calle13 323 heat pts323
space
space
$4,064 | Props total: 4779 4779
The movie has been getting Bad to Okay reviews.. IGN gave it like a 6 or 7 i believe.. Alot of reviews i've been reading gave it " Okay " apparently the big show down doesn't happen till the last 30 minutes of the movie (meaning yes throughout the entire film is just them training & showing their background story).. not surprised at all.
 1 week ago '14        #6
Soaring Seagull 1 heat pts
space
space
$3,322 | Props total: 1289 1289
 calle13 said:
The movie has been getting Bad to Okay reviews.. IGN gave it like a 6 or 7 i believe.. Alot of reviews i've been reading gave it " Okay " apparently the big show down doesn't happen till the last 30 minutes of the movie (meaning yes throughout the entire film is just them training & showing their background story).. not surprised at all.
Critics 2ho favored the movie said that it took the batman begins approach with the reasonably heavy back story. Hopefully the sequel gets dirty
bugzy and 1 others gave props

1 week ago '05        #7
Quddus 11 heat pts11
space
space
space
$13,382 | Props total: 4054 4054
How good was the show? Other than we were all kids and even know it's still bad. Movie should be on par with the show.
Skrrt Loder gave props

1 week ago '07        #8
Bleezy 10 heat pts10
space
space
$13,606 | Props total: 5635 5635
It's the damn Powder Rangers. What did you really expect?
LicensedLegend and 13 others gave props

1 week ago '10        #9
JKO 2 heat pts
space
space
$3,141 | Props total: 462 462

[spoiler - click to view]

1 week ago '04        #10
Top Shelf 7 heat pts
space
space
$1,788 | Props total: 2386 2386
No green ranger?
 1 week ago '09        #11
Tiko377 1683 heat pts1683
space
space
$13,927 | Props total: 5538 5538
42% at Rotten Tomatoes hopefully it gets higher.

seems better then Transformers
 1 week ago '04        #12
ike! 4 heat pts
space
space
$796 | Props total: 86 86
 Bleezy said:
It's the damn Powder Rangers. What did you really expect?
I came in here to say this. I don't understand why anyone would even look at a review for this or Transformers, TMNT, etc. You already know what it is. It might make you feel nostalgic and might even have some cool CGI action scenes, but other than that what are you really expecting?
Bleezy and 1 others gave props

1 week ago '05        #13
BurninLz 31 heat pts31
space
space
$10,266 | Props total: 742 742
Expecting some post credit shenanigans with the new kid Tommy showing up to school..
 1 week ago '11        #14
cincityvet89 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,280 | Props total: 310 310
for the people who have seen the movie what could have made the movie better
 1 week ago '04        #15
Maroon_Tiger 25 heat pts25
space
space
$49,300 | Props total: 4466 4466
 JFamis said:
Forst bomb of 2017... my prediction
 1 week ago '04        #16
kniccalodeon 
space
space
space
$1,037 | Props total: 884 884
 tupacnasfan said:
This reviewer is right, this movie is so bad, just another reason why the power rangers franchise jumped the shark after season 2.

(the first two seasons were good after that it shot to hell).
Nah, the show jumped the shark because it lost 3 main cast members, ran out of Zyuranger footage and they had to figure out a way to segue into another series like the Japanese counterpart.

Season 2 sucks after White Light. The difference in quality of episodes without Jason, zack and Trini is huge.

I'm gonna see the movie for nostalgia. I'm surprised they're taking such an adult approach to the rangers. Gotta be worth something at least. Makes up for all of those years of Tommy being a bi*ch.
 1 week ago '06        #17
Prince Ace 30 heat pts30
space
space
$14,439 | Props total: 5863 5863
i don't expect it to be great, but it's a movie based on a childrens show. i learned to take certain movies just for surface value with the recent TMNT movies
 1 week ago '07        #18
calle13 323 heat pts323
space
space
$4,064 | Props total: 4779 4779
POST CREDIT SCENE:

You're Welcome

oh and the Yellow Ranger is a Lesbian
and the Blue Ranger has some sort of Autism.

Last edited by calle13; 03-20-2017 at 09:15 PM..
TH35 and 1 others gave props

1 week ago '07        #19
TH35 93 heat pts93
space
space
space
$80,603 | Props total: 9534 9534
 JFamis said:
I'll see it for nostalgia
 1 week ago '07        #20
TH35 93 heat pts93
space
space
space
$80,603 | Props total: 9534 9534
 calle13 said:
POST CREDIT SCENE:

You're Welcome

oh and the Yellow Ranger is a Lesbian
and the Blue Ranger has some sort of Autism.
Hopefully it makes enough money for

Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bald head with a stupid fat ass!!!
222 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Mar 28 - Nigerians boycott Coca-Cola drinks after court rules them 'poi..
34 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Fake Gabrielle Union v. Fake Beyonce
44 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Michelle Pfeiffer Says Al Pacino Had Her ‘Terrified’ While Filming ‘Sc..
106 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Danny Brown Confirms He's The Rapper Dave Chappelle Talked About In Net..
33 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Mar 29 - Man mauled to death by dog during interview with BBC
84 comments
20 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
NBA Video: LaFather & Lonzo on UNDISPUTED going at Skip
107 comments
20 hours ago