Rare pic of Fif when he got locked up!
21 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Lonzo Ball shuts down any psychological interpretation of his new look
36 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Backlash over Star Wars F*ckery Results End EA stock falling. Wall Street frea..
45 comments
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside And Another Unsatisfied Teacher Gets a Rape Charge
74 comments
@wild'ish

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 8 months ago '16        #1
1619 pageviews
32 comments

DizAznLuvPho 31 heat pts31
space
space
$651 | Props total: 2709 2709
Gizmodo Review for the Power Rangers

The final act of Power Rangers is everything you could want from a Power Rangers movie. It’s fun, funny, action-packed, and filled with so many Zords and monsters that you’ll actually feel like you’re watching a big-budget update of the popular kids’ franchise. The problem is that the 90 minutes preceding it wants as little to do with the Power Rangers as possible.

For its majority, Power Rangers is a heavy-handed, character-forward teen drama with a little bit of Rangers stuff sprinkled in. It’s way, way less interested in the characters as color-coded superheroes than it is with their struggles to grow up and accept the responsibility of being Power Rangers. It’s not a bad story, but it’s so devoted to its teen drama it doesn’t have time for f!ghting and Zords and everything that makes the franchise fun, so overall the movie feels wildly uneven and, ultimately, disappointing.

As you could tell right from the characters’ muted, overcomplicated uniforms, it’s obvious director Dean Israelite (Project Almanac) didn’t want to make a bright, colorful Power Rangers movie. After a promising, yet dark, prologue featuring Bryan Cranston’s Zordon and Elizabeth Banks’ Rita, we meet Jason (Dacre Montgomery) as he’s committing a crime and getting into a violent car accident. The film then cuts to black and the words “Power Rangers” appear in a very small font in the bottom corner of the screen—it’s the opening of a Steven Soderbergh movie, not a Power Rangers one. From there, we follow Jason as he goes into detention, meets a few fellow outcasts and, eventually, they all haphazardly meet at a rock quarry almost an hour outside of their town. There they find the power coins and begin their journey to becoming Power Rangers.

As this is all happening, it’s obvious from the realistic setting and muted visuals that the film is taking the material incredibly seriously. Yes, it gets to the Power Rangers stuff fairly quickly but it all feels secondary to the teenagers’ problems. Zack (Ludi Lin) has a sick mother. Trini’s (Becky G.) parents don’t understand who she truly is. Kimberly (Naomi Scott) is dealing with a bad case of cyber-bullying and Billy (R.J. Cyler) is ostracized because he’s on the spectrum. Add that to Jason’s problem of throwing his life away for a dumb prank and these kids obviously have some issues.

This could have been a great parallel, right? They need to deal with their personal problems and the difficulties of becoming Power Rangers simultaneously, and these conflicts could have informed each other. But at almost every turn the Power Ranger training and mythology plays back-up to the teen drama. There’s rarely a sense of “wow” early in the film and the characters almost never think about the bigger picture of the world being in danger. They are so laser-focused on their small-town lives and high school problems that it seems like they barely care about becoming Power Rangers or saving the world. They say they care, but the movie doesn’t show any evidence of it. And since they don’t care, neither do we. It all just ends up making the film feel super slow, with the exception of a training montage or two.

But once you get past all that the kids finally put on the costumes and jump into action. At this point, the audience I saw the film with cheered, because the movie has finally delivered on its promise. It’s the Power Rangers! Zords! Rita! Goldar! f!ghting! But something is off... literally. The kids don’t wear their iconic masks, so we can see their faces almost the whole time. Even in this huge, ludicrous action scene, the film refuses to fully embrace the mystique of the Power Rangers.

To their credit, the cast does their best in their roles. Elizabeth Banks seems to be the only person aware she’s in a Power Rangers movie and she acts with pure, devilish delight. The kids all embody their characters fairly well, too; obviously, the script was written to give them maximum room to grow as characters in the film and they do just that. R.J. Cyler’s Billy, in particular, is a character that’s the audience can latch on too. It’s just a shame they weren’t given the same memo as Banks that this franchise is less The Breakfast Club and more monsters and robots.

Despite the fun of the third act, it can’t erase those first 90 minutes, and the harsh tonal shift between the two. It’s hard to imagine that young kids—arguably the prime Power Rangers audience—would enjoy sitting through all that talking and angst before getting to the good stuff, although maybe they will. Maybe for kids, the teen heroes are simple and charismatic enough that they’ll latch onto and look up to them, sympathize with their problems and truly felt the evolution when they become Power Rangers.

Maybe. But walking out of the movie I had a revelation: The problem with Power Rangers is that it establishes a world where five kids in robot dinosaurs don’t belong. In a film devoted to exploring Billy, Jason, Kimberly, Zack, and Trini’s teenage angst, somehow it’s the Rangers who end up not fitting in.
hot topic and 2 others gave props

32 comments for "Gizmodo Review for the Power Rangers"

8 months ago '04        #2
JFamis 235 heat pts235
space
space
$16,940 | Props total: 4265 4265
I always knew this movie would be bad.
storyboutdamans and 2 others gave props

8 months ago '16        #3
DizAznLuvPho 31 heat pts31 OP
space
space
$651 | Props total: 2709 2709
 JFamis said:
I had High Hopes for it. Seems like all the good scenes are already in the previews
 8 months ago '07        #4
calle13 406 heat pts406
space
space
$5,167 | Props total: 8482 8482
The movie has been getting Bad to Okay reviews.. IGN gave it like a 6 or 7 i believe.. Alot of reviews i've been reading gave it " Okay " apparently the big show down doesn't happen till the last 30 minutes of the movie (meaning yes throughout the entire film is just them training & showing their background story).. not surprised at all.
 8 months ago '14        #5
Soaring Seagull 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,152 | Props total: 2990 2990
 calle13 said:
The movie has been getting Bad to Okay reviews.. IGN gave it like a 6 or 7 i believe.. Alot of reviews i've been reading gave it " Okay " apparently the big show down doesn't happen till the last 30 minutes of the movie (meaning yes throughout the entire film is just them training & showing their background story).. not surprised at all.
Critics 2ho favored the movie said that it took the batman begins approach with the reasonably heavy back story. Hopefully the sequel gets dirty
bugzy and 1 others gave props

8 months ago '05        #6
Quddus 12 heat pts12
space
space
space
$14,841 | Props total: 6109 6109
How good was the show? Other than we were all kids and even know it's still bad. Movie should be on par with the show.
Skrrt Loder gave props

8 months ago '07        #7
Bleezy 10 heat pts10
space
space
$14,441 | Props total: 8413 8413
It's the damn Powder Rangers. What did you really expect?
LicensedLegend and 13 others gave props

8 months ago '10        #8
JKO 2 heat pts
space
space
$3,236 | Props total: 924 924

[spoiler - click to view]

8 months ago '04        #9
Top Shelf 10 heat pts10
space
space
$2,169 | Props total: 3898 3898
No green ranger?
 8 months ago '09        #10
Tiko377 1852 heat pts1852
space
space
$15,053 | Props total: 8712 8712
42% at Rotten Tomatoes hopefully it gets higher.

seems better then Transformers
 8 months ago '04        #11
ike! 4 heat pts
space
space
$818 | Props total: 99 99
 Bleezy said:
It's the damn Powder Rangers. What did you really expect?
I came in here to say this. I don't understand why anyone would even look at a review for this or Transformers, TMNT, etc. You already know what it is. It might make you feel nostalgic and might even have some cool CGI action scenes, but other than that what are you really expecting?
Bleezy and 1 others gave props

8 months ago '05        #12
BurninLz 31 heat pts31
space
space
$10,305 | Props total: 832 832
Expecting some post credit shenanigans with the new kid Tommy showing up to school..
 8 months ago '11        #13
cincityvet89 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,374 | Props total: 375 375
for the people who have seen the movie what could have made the movie better
 8 months ago '04        #14
Maroon_Tiger 29 heat pts29
space
space
$50,350 | Props total: 5959 5959
 JFamis said:
Forst bomb of 2017... my prediction
 8 months ago '04        #15
kniccalodeon 
space
space
space
$1,409 | Props total: 1852 1852
 tupacnasfan said:
This reviewer is right, this movie is so bad, just another reason why the power rangers franchise jumped the shark after season 2.

(the first two seasons were good after that it shot to hell).
Nah, the show jumped the shark because it lost 3 main cast members, ran out of Zyuranger footage and they had to figure out a way to segue into another series like the Japanese counterpart.

Season 2 sucks after White Light. The difference in quality of episodes without Jason, zack and Trini is huge.

I'm gonna see the movie for nostalgia. I'm surprised they're taking such an adult approach to the rangers. Gotta be worth something at least. Makes up for all of those years of Tommy being a bi*ch.
 8 months ago '06        #16
Prince Ace 35 heat pts35
space
space
$15,662 | Props total: 8798 8798
i don't expect it to be great, but it's a movie based on a childrens show. i learned to take certain movies just for surface value with the recent TMNT movies
 8 months ago '07        #17
calle13 406 heat pts406
space
space
$5,167 | Props total: 8482 8482
POST CREDIT SCENE:

You're Welcome

oh and the Yellow Ranger is a Lesbian
and the Blue Ranger has some sort of Autism.

Last edited by calle13; 03-20-2017 at 10:15 PM..
TH35 and 1 others gave props

8 months ago '07        #18
TH35 100 heat pts100
space
space
$85,344 | Props total: 14270 14270
 JFamis said:
I'll see it for nostalgia
 8 months ago '07        #19
TH35 100 heat pts100
space
space
 calle13 said:
POST CREDIT SCENE:

You're Welcome

oh and the Yellow Ranger is a Lesbian
and the Blue Ranger has some sort of Autism.
Hopefully it makes enough money for

8 months ago '07        #20
TH35 100 heat pts100
space
space
 Maroon_Tiger said:
Forst bomb of 2017... my prediction
First bomb was monster trucks
sohofresco gave props

Home      

most viewed right now
Hoops hottie's sexy basketball videos are a total slam dunk
66 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ohhhh sh-t is this it fellas. Eminem "Revival" Tracklist!!!!!
71 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Columbian teacher arrested for forcing students to have sex with her
156 comments
2 days ago
@misc
most viewed right now
BX ever smashed any of these popular INSTAGRAM chicks?
200 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Rap God Back: Official Eminem "Revival" Anticipation and Discusion thre..
443 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Google Fiber 1000 now $55/month in its newest city
47 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Lame Ass Nigga Joins a NY Crip Gang
438 comments
1 day ago