Mar 11 - Study reports that gluten-free diet increases risk of type 2 diabetes

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

3 years ago '04        #1
704 page views
8 comments

D.IrIsH  370 heat pts370
space
space
$6,138   Props total: 9528 9528
Mar 11 - Study reports that gluten-free diet increases risk of type 2 diabetes

In response to the trend for gluten-free products, on Thursday the American Heart a*sociation (AHA) announced research, based on 30 years of surveys, that establishes a link between gluten-free diets and a higher risk of type 2 diabetes.

To date, no scientific studies have demonstrated any health benefits that accrue from a gluten-free diet for the vast majority of people who do not suffer from Celiac disease (which affects one percent of the population in the US) or gluten intolerance.

Using data from three long-term studies that monitored 200,000 people over 30 years, researchers from the University of Harvard evaluated the impact of a gluten-free diet on the health of subjects with no medical diagnosis of gluten intolerance.

Their findings, which have now been made public by the AHA, are unequivocal. People who regularly consume gluten (an average of 5.8 to 7.1 grams per day) have a lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes. Bread, pizza, pasta, cereal, pretzels and even muffins were among respondents' most commonly listed sources of gluten.

At the same time, the researchers noted that those who sought to avoid gluten consumed less cereal fiber, which is known to reduce the risk of diabetes.

The study has added weight to warnings from nutritionists worried by the excessively high glycemic index of processed gluten-free products that lack fiber and nutrients and may contain additives. And that is not to mention the risk posed by the "healthy" image of these products, which may lead some consumers to overindulge.

In the US, a 2014 Consumer Reports National Research Centre survey found that 63% of Americans believe that a gluten-free diet would improve their physical and mental health.

The Harvard University study findings were presented at the at the American Heart a*sociation's Epidemiology and Prevention/Lifestyle and Cardiometabolic Health 2017 Scientific Sessions in Portland, Oregon.

visit this link Yahoo

best
worst
8 comments

3 years ago '04        #2
skillahmang  3 heat pts3
space
space
$29,366   Props total: 25861 25861
Wheat Lobbyist with the Propaganda

3 years ago '15        #3
POTUS2045  4 heat pts4
space
space
$2,240   Props total: 4032 4032
Sugar limited and meat limited is the healthiest diet.

3 years ago '04        #4
D.IrIsH  370 heat pts370 OP
space
space
$6,138   Props total: 9528 9528
 skillahmang said
Wheat Lobbyist with the Propaganda

Wheat Lobbyist???

3 years ago '16        #5
OWPE  112 heat pts112
space
space
$6,996   Props total: 18055 18055
Every year they say this is healthy or this isn't.

3 years ago '11        #6
Loso Luciano24  227 heat pts227
space
space
$14,493   Props total: 8393 8393
These n*ggaz need to make up their minds. This is getting absurd.

3 years ago '08        #7
Lot17  26 heat pts26
space
space
$3,729   Props total: 1975 1975
I don't buy this bs one bit. My whole family on a gfcf diet and its been nothing but improvement.

3 years ago '05        #8
olx9o  28 heat pts28
space
space
$7,661   Props total: 9958 9958
Yo lmao....I remember being admitted to the hospital...these people made me take a pill that increased my blood flow or something like that....then TESTED me right after to tell me that I'm at high risk for diabetes....

I wanted to chokeslam the lady who told me that

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+63online now  45
Video inside Vato thought he could take 50 shots of Patron
80 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  43
STRONG RUMOR: NFL has reportedly given the Chargers the option to relocate..
113 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+45online now  36
Image(s) inside Oct 14 - female columbian drug cartel assassin - i love to kill people
124 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  22
Video inside Ben Baller goes to press Trax NYC
42 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy