81-year-old woman learns programming from scratch, makes cool mobile game

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Mar 24 - "We Just Pulled It": Trump LAWST, Admits TrumpCare Defeat. GO..
130 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rick Ross in court for kidnapping, assault case Updated: Mar 24, 2017 ..
23 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Mar 23 - 1 in 3 Americans can't come up with $2,000—here's how much you should..
72 comments
@news
most viewed right now
NBA Westbrook Not Contesting Shots To Engineer RBs?
37 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

4 weeks ago '04        #1
1924 pageviews
35 comments

mr_underground|m 1749 heat pts1749
space
space
$21,547 | Props total: 21003 21003
81-year-old woman learns programming from scratch, makes cool mobile game

Programming isn’t just a young person’s game anymore.

Since the beginning of time, children unable to prove themselves physically have resorted to the playground classic, “my big brother/dad could beat up your big brother/dad with one arm behind his back/blindfolded.” Now “my gran can out-code your gran” can be added to that list.

81-year-old Japanese woman Masako Wakamiya set out to prove that making and using mobile phone applications wasn’t purely for young whipper-snappers. After six months studying programming and in regular contact with her teacher, she has produced her very own app, called Hinadan.

Every year on the 3rd of March, Japanese people celebrate Girl’s Day (fear not, boys also get their own holiday on the 5th of May – once called Boy’s Day, but know the more-inclusive Children’s Day) by decorating display stands with dolls dressed in Heian-era clothing, as seen in a recent cat-astrophe.

In Hinadan (a mix of the words hina, a type of doll, and dan, meaning tier or level), the player must position 12 dolls in their correct position on a display consisting of four levels. Should a doll be positioned correctly, a noise is heard, and if positioned incorrectly, a really quite aggressive buzzer sounds. The game has been designed not to rely on lightning-quick reflexes or feats of dexterity but on knowledge of the festival and its traditions, providing edu-tainment for all.

Should your knowledge not be up to scratch, there is voice guidance to help. If the player places all of the dolls in the right place, they are rewarded for the efforts with a message of congratulations, something not enough games include, in my humble opinion.

Hinadan is now available for free download from the Apple app store here. Japanese superstition suggests that to leave the dolls on display past the 4th of March is unlucky and will result in the household’s daughter marrying late, but the dolls seen in Masako’s foray into the gaming world are probably an exception.

visit this link http://en.rocketnews24.co .. l-mobile-game/
dj X and 20 others gave props

bonez79 and 1 others slapped this ish

35 comments for "81-year-old woman learns programming from scratch, makes cool mobile game"

4 weeks ago '12        #2
daman729 27 heat pts27
space
space
$11,105 | Props total: 7230 7230

Good for her, especially at 81. I never really got heavy into programming. Just didn't excite me. Most I've done was make amateur applications via Visual Basic.
DJ Maximum|M and 10 others gave props

chasepayper slapped this ish

3 weeks ago '15        #3
voltron 15 heat pts15
space
space
$1,304 | Props total: 1043 1043
 daman729 said:

Good for her, especially at 81. I never really got heavy into programming. Just didn't excite me. Most I've done was make amateur applications via Visual Basic.
That's how I was when I first started, it wasn't until I started looking into automating a lot of mundane tasks. Programming helped do all the "boring" stuff and let me focus on actual work.
daman729 and 2 others gave props

3 weeks ago '15        #4
LACOSTE 3 heat pts
space
space
$40 | Props total: 89 89
 voltron said:
That's how I was when I first started, it wasn't until I started looking into automating a lot of mundane tasks. Programming helped do all the "boring" stuff and let me focus on actual work.
Any of yall n*ggaz wanna colab ?
 3 weeks ago '14        #5
Daptism 14 heat pts14
space
space
$5,073 | Props total: 8655 8655
And we have bums on bx who can't even post an image without fu*king up.
voltron and 11 others gave props

3 weeks ago '15        #6
voltron 15 heat pts15
space
space
$1,304 | Props total: 1043 1043
 LACOSTE said:
Any of yall n*ggaz wanna colab ?
What are you working on? Or what would you like to work on?

I have experience with HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP and recently I've been messing a lot more with Python.

Last edited by voltron; 02-28-2017 at 01:18 PM..
Boogersugar gave props

3 weeks ago '16        #7
NYNY 
space
space
$1,487 | Props total: 2176 2176
Knew she was Japanese they can do anything when it comes to electrical sh*t
 3 weeks ago '16        #8
Boogersugar 19 heat pts19
space
space
$1,551 | Props total: 3867 3867
Folks are out of excuses for being broke! Software engineers get paid too much and all of the information you need is available for free online. I taught myself to code a few years back and my career has been groovy ever since. I strongly recommend it to any BXer that's looking for a different career or to make more cash. Make 2017 your bi*ch and get papered up
Zaosyn and 7 others gave props

3 weeks ago '09        #9
Zaosyn 258 heat pts258
space
space
$13,762 | Props total: 577 577
 Boogersugar said:
Folks are out of excuses for being broke! Software engineers get paid too much and all of the information you need is available for free online. I taught myself to code a few years back and my career has been groovy ever since. I strongly recommend it to any BXer that's looking for a different career or to make more cash. Make 2017 your bi*ch and get papered up
I'm learning to code now and it's easier than ever to learn how to code. Back in the day folks only had W3schools to really learn basic web development from but now there's Udemy and online courses and boot camps that are easy to understand and affordable (or free). Digital careers are booming and it's never too late to learn.i hope by the end of this year I have an entry level job in the digital field.
Boogersugar and 2 others gave props

3 weeks ago '16        #10
Dame Dash 
space
space
space
$294 | Props total: 727 727
i love coding in C
invaderchin gave props

3 weeks ago '15        #11
416recklezz 21 heat pts21
space
space
$3,764 | Props total: 2625 2625
 Dame Dash said:
i love coding in C
i'm not liking it at the moment

taking a course for C programming in uni, and the a.ssignments, while the idea is easy (ie: do some sh*t with linked lists), pointers are tricky, memory management is gay, and debugging (esp with segmentation faults) is a motherfu*ker

i know its hyper efficient, but python is my go to language for a reason lol
Dame Dash gave props

3 weeks ago '11        #12
GrindPOWER$ 371 heat pts371
space
space
$17,351 | Props total: 7425 7425
okay i got an mobile game idea i wonder who can i bring it to to make it for the cheap i see these people on twitter always promoting their mobile games i wonder how can i get mines out there.

good for this lady tho never too late to learn and earn.
 3 weeks ago '06        #13
RAZAH CUTS 5604 heat pts5604
space
space
$51,911 | Props total: 12543 12543
good for her...
 3 weeks ago '14        #14
5 Point Shot 
space
space
$443 | Props total: 329 329
 Boogersugar said:
After learning the basic and entry things what would you recommend doing in such as a job or career ?
Boogersugar gave props

3 weeks ago '16        #15
BoxdenThug 
space
space
space
$346 | Props total: 761 761
 Dame Dash said:
i love coding in C

Why???
 3 weeks ago '07        #16
DIPSET101 28 heat pts28
space
space
$8,877 | Props total: 4755 4755
And here I am getting the police virus on my phone trying to fap
 3 weeks ago '16        #17
Boogersugar 19 heat pts19
space
space
$1,551 | Props total: 3867 3867
 5 Point Shot said:
After learning the basic and entry things what would you recommend doing in such as a job or career ?
It depends on which basic and entry things you learn. Are you working on something already or looking into something specific?

If you're generally interested in CS, the best free resources online are geared towards web development and design. Personally, I learned how to code websites, taught myself C#, became a developer, then a consultant, then I taught myself Salesforce, became an administrator, and now I'm a Salesforce consultant.

I got my start with www.freecodecamp.com. It's interactive so you're not just reading, you're coding. You'll learn HTML, CSS, and JavaScript and you'll build a portfolio of projects along the way. I can't recommend FCC enough. www.theodinproject.com is also well-regarded, but I haven't used it myself.

I learned C# from Sam's Teach Yourself C#, which is a book series. It's much tougher than building websites because you also get to handle memory management and other fun stuff that's handled for you in most languages. Developing in C# paid better than what I do now, but I was treading water at best so I moved on.

I learned Salesforce through trailhead.salesforce.com, got certified in about a month, and have been an admin ever since. I'm slowly picking up Apex and Java so that I can become a full-fledged Salesforce developer and once I get there I'll take aim at climbing into management. You can get into the low six figures as an SFDC developer, but managing developers and projects is where the real loot is.

Daptism and 11 others gave props

3 weeks ago '11        #18
cincityvet89 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,278 | Props total: 307 307
 GrindPOWER$ said:
okay i got an mobile game idea i wonder who can i bring it to to make it for the cheap i see these people on twitter always promoting their mobile games i wonder how can i get mines out there.

good for this lady tho never too late to learn and earn.
go on upwork.com its legit as fu*k i use it all the time. Theres only one problem you have two options either a set price or pay by the half. Having a set price can hurt you. The best programmers dont come cheap.
 3 weeks ago '05        #19
KruptedWayz 17 heat pts17
space
space
space
$3,505 | Props total: 457 457
 Boogersugar said:
What would you recommend someone trying to learn from scratch?
 3 weeks ago '11        #20
bonez79 49 heat pts49
space
space
$9,033 | Props total: 6352 6352
She's Asian, slap to follow.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside This random post proves DRAKE's SIMP levels are unmatched
88 comments
22 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL Fake Miami Dolphin player has been scamming white women for years
149 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Mar 23 - 14 Girls is Washington DC between the ages of 10 - 18 are missing!!!!!
126 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside The Truth About your Birth Certificate! Smh
25 comments
22 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside MAKONNEN goes off on DRAKE!! OVO was like PRISON DRAKE used him and TH..
218 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Damn, She's Gorgeous........pt.4
66 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Troy Ave new song: 1st hand account of the assassination on his life
89 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Leaked Brad Pitt pictures released online...
91 comments
1 day ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy