Feb 3 - Hill Republicans revolt over Trump's plans to build border wall

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

3 years ago '16        #1
216 page views
1 comments

foshoVoodoo  291 heat pts291
space
space
$17,270   Props total: 40252 40252
Feb 3 - Hill Republicans revolt over Trump's plans to build border wall

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump's plan to build a wall on the border with Mexico is facing a major problem: A wall of resistance from his own party.
A growing number of congressional Republicans are objecting to the cost and viability of a proposal that was a rallying cry for the billionaire businessman during his insurgent campaign. Interviews with more than a dozen GOP lawmakers across the ideological spectrum suggest Trump could have a difficult time getting funding for his plan approved by Congress.
Many bluntly told CNN they'd likely vote against any Trump plan that is not fully offset with spending cuts, while others questioned whether Trump's vision would adequately resolve the problems at the border.
"If you're going to spend that kind of money, you're going to have to show me where you're going to get that money," said Alaska Sen. Lisa Murkowski, a key swing vote who has already broken with Trump over his nominee for secretary of education.
"I don't see how you can get a bill like that through (Congress) without offsets," she added. "I don't see how that's possible."
Trump's wall already faces legal hurdles given the likelihood that it could spawn lawsuits at the border. But if Congress doesn't go along with his funding plan, it could effectively stall Trump's proposal right out of the gate. House Speaker Paul Ryan and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said last week that the cost could range from $12 billion-$15 billion, while Ryan suggested that the project may not be fully offset with spending cuts, saying the wall is "a national security priority."
Sen. John Cornyn, the No. 2 Senate Republican who represents the border state of Texas, was deeply skeptical about whether a wall alone would be enough to deter immigrants from entering the country illegally. And he issued a stark warning to Trump.
"I have concerns about spending un-offset money, which adds to the debt, period," Cornyn said bluntly when asked about the wall. "I don't think we're just going to be able to solve border security with a physical barrier because people can come under, around it and through it."
Trump has increasingly said that Congress would fund the wall initially but would later be reimbursed completely by Mexico. But prominent Republicans say flatly that they don't think Mexico will pay the United States back — and Mexican leadership has repeatedly said the same -- meaning that taxpayers would be left holding the bag.
"No," Arizona Republican Sen. John McCain said when asked if he thought Mexico would reimburse the United States for the wall. "It's not a viable option."
McCain added: "If you only build a wall, only a 'wall,' without using technology, individuals, drones, observations, etc., you're not going to secure the border."
Trump still has time to convince his party to go along, especially if he provides more details on his plans, given Republicans are largely united behind calls for more robust border security. And some GOP senators, like Ron Johnson of Wisconsin, suggest they're open to paying for the wall even if it's not offset by spending cuts.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/0 .. .html?adkey=bn

Mutiny's now image Trump wall gonna be made of cardboard.

best
worst
1 comments

3 years ago '04        #2
ItAlY2BkLyN  243 heat pts243
space
space
$26,380   Props total: 19518 19518
fools seriously thought Trump would get in and have free reign to do whatever he wants. Literally losing their minds over sh*t that hasn't happened yet. It's more likely that we'll be in a standstill for 4 years than Trump passing all his pipe dream promises without any push back.

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+39online now  33
I gotta give TI credit he almost got exposed and boided
127 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+33online now  29
Image(s) inside Yearbook Picture
107 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  21
Video inside Fortnite Season X Ends putting everyone inside a black hole.
64 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
online now  11
Video inside Former Jet life Affiliate Who was beefing with Curren$y , Succeed The P..
100 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy