Nvidia's new $200 4KShield TV launches with HDR support, and connected home smarts on deck

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

2 years ago '04        #1
4266 page views
47 comments

fat_boyy21 329 heat pts329
space
space
$10,028 | Props total: 4091 4091
Nvidia's new $200 4KShield TV launches with HDR support, and connected home smarts on deck

After making a splash at CES, Nvidia's new $200 Shield TV is now on sale.

visit this link pcworld

Nvidia’s second-generation Shield TV had us turning our heads at CES thanks to its slimmed down profile, HDR support, and smart home features. Now, a little more than a week later, the new Shield TV is available for sale for $200. The higher priced $300 Shield Pro is expected to start shipping at the end of January.

NVIDIA SHIELD TV Streaming Media Player

$199.99MSRP $199.99VIEWon Amazon
The impact on you at home: The internals of the new Shield TV are pretty much the same as its predecessor that rolled out in 2015. For that reason, Nvidia plans to roll out a software update to the original Shield that will bring many of the same features the new version has. Despite what you may have read online this update has not yet rolled out but Nvidia’s Manuel Guzman says we can expect the update to arrive in the next “week or so.”

Meet the new Nvidia Shield TV

While the internals are the same, Nvidia was able to reduce the size of the second-generation box by 40 percent. The controller also got an overhaul with a significant reduction in size and weight after losing its touchpad. And in an especially nice touch, Nvidia's media remote now comes stock with the Shield TV rather than being a $50 add-on.

The hardware is nice, but it’s the software that really makes the Shield what it is. There are new apps for Amazon Instant Video with HDR support and YouTube 360, while the game section now shows you all the games you interact with via the Shield—not just Android games.

nvidia shield 6

Brad Chacos
The revamped Shield TV controller.
Where the two Shield boxes begin to diverge is with the smart home features. The second-generation box will—in the coming months—be able to act as a Smart Home hub supporting the Zigbee and Z-Wave protocols via a SmartThings app. Google a*sistant, the brains behind Google Home, is also scheduled to land on the Shield, allowing you to turn the lights on with your voice. It’s not clear when those news features will land, but when they do arrive they will not be available automatically to old school Shield TV owners.

NVIDIA SHIELD Controller

The good news is that the original Shield TV can still get all that smart home goodness with one of the new Shield controllers, which are available now from Nvidia for $60.

47 comments for "Nvidia's new $200 4KShield TV launches with HDR support, and connected home smarts on deck"

2 years ago '15        #2
storyboutdamans 6 heat pts
space
space
space
$375 | Props total: 482 482
That is one s*xy controller and I been thinking about copping the OG one for over a year now. Mainly just to play android games on tv. kodi is also luring

2 years ago '06        #3
memphisboi55 
space
space
$3,613 | Props total: 1684 1684
never dealt with nvidia

any good?

OR just stick to my firestick and apple tv?

2 years ago '07        #4
PLAN_B 
space
space
$877 | Props total: 51 51
One of my best purchases was the Og model. Super fast and responsive. No hiccups. Kodi runs great, 4k looks awesome. I have zero complaints. And it's getting all the new models features via OTA update. Only prob is the old one is hard to find now. Def. cop

2 years ago '04        #5
quintosis03 4 heat pts
space
space
$4,312 | Props total: 1337 1337
Thinking about getting this as an upgrade to the nexus player.

2 years ago '04        #6
J_Brew 
space
space
space
$204 | Props total: 51 51
 memphisboi55 said
never dealt with nvidia

any good?

Yeah it's worth a cop if your into gaming as well. I have one and enjoy it and barely use the gaming aspect as well. It's basically has all the functions of a smart tv and firestick/apple tv but on STEROIDS! The device is superfast an smooth! And the graphics and 4K streaming capablity are definitely a noticeable difference for most apps.

2 years ago '15        #7
Tw1tter Gang 64 heat pts64
space
space
$8,942 | Props total: 9109 9109
That's cool, I'll get one for 4k

2 years ago '13        #8
pizzolini 2 heat pts
space
space
space
$638 | Props total: 1607 1607
Man I've been eyeing out the 1st gen for awhile now. I'm still not sure if it's worth it for me. I seen Kodi can be installed or already is but I have firesticks and a PS4. If I buy it, I'll end up selling it with a good build for Kodi. I came across a media box, zoomtak and that was pretty fire but I don't need it or use it

2 years ago '06        #9
jreaper 
space
space
$1,634 | Props total: 2364 2364
Best Device i bought last year, not much 4K sh*t out but it has 500gb and i can do almost anything on it with Kodi

2 years ago '04        #10
NyShow 106 heat pts106
space
space
$5,325 | Props total: 616 616
This thing is like the Alpha Male of streaming systems in a room full distant runner-ups. I picked up my Shield last year when Nvidia dropped the first one... k*lls everything claiming to be a set top media streamer.

2 years ago '04        #11
fat_boyy21 329 heat pts329 OP
space
space
$10,028 | Props total: 4091 4091
 pizzolini said
Man I've been eyeing out the 1st gen for awhile now. I'm still not sure if it's worth it for me. I seen Kodi can be installed or already is but I have firesticks and a PS4. If I buy it, I'll end up selling it with a good build for Kodi. I came across a media box, zoomtak and that was pretty fire but I don't need it or use it
I forgot to put Kodi access in the title

2 years ago '16        #12
GazaVybz7 1 heat pts
space
space
$716 | Props total: 1058 1058
Nah I Dead Need This.. First Gen been sold out for a minute.

Fck Around Get All My Emulators & sh*t Back

2 years ago '15        #13
Bonaparte 3 heat pts
space
space
$1,196 | Props total: 2556 2556
Is the pro model worth the extra $100 for the 500gb?
Any opinions?

2 years ago '07        #14
Drk 10 heat pts10
space
space
$9,130 | Props total: 606 606
So this device has access to the games in steam store?

2 years ago '06        #15
MThoro75 
space
space
space
$317 | Props total: 265 265
Anyone have any news on an updated version of the Shield Tablet K1?

2 years ago '04        #16
Budala 420 heat pts420
space
space
$12,621 | Props total: 2347 2347
 memphisboi55 said
never dealt with nvidia

any good?

I been using one for few months and its a monster. Mind you I mostly use it for Kodi but its seamless.

Depending on what you will use it for (Gaming, Kodi, Plex integration) I think its one of the best Android boxes available, if not the best.

2 years ago '06        #17
Cezaroh 1 heat pts
space
space
$10,463 | Props total: 1835 1835
weak get the retro pie with koid so you can play games too and add whatever to it only for 65 bux

2 years ago '11        #18
Ant O 5 heat pts
space
space
$7,775 | Props total: 9534 9534
So what is this exactly??? A scaled down pc in a console form????

2 years ago '04        #19
Tha754kid 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,672 | Props total: 2368 2368
So if the internals are the same, what's keeping me from just copping an old one for cheaper?? Slim profile doesn't mean much to me

2 years ago '15        #20
Bonaparte 3 heat pts
space
space
 Tha754kid said
So if the internals are the same, what's keeping me from just copping an old one for cheaper?? Slim profile doesn't mean much to me
They cost the same.

2 years ago '15        #21
Bonaparte 3 heat pts
space
space
 Ant O said
So what is this exactly??? A scaled down pc in a console form????
Android box with gaming capabilities in mind. Android games, but apparently it can run most emulators pretty well not including ps2 and above...maybe gamecube, i really don't know.

2 years ago '13        #22
HEAT4Life 33 heat pts33
space
space
$444 | Props total: 361 361
 Drk said
So this device has access to the games in steam store?
Wondering the same exact thing. My PC can't handle CS-GO anymore

2 years ago '08        #23
Keno 19 heat pts19
space
space
space
$7,841 | Props total: 7778 7778
I've had my original over a year I bleieve. Love that thing dearly .

2 years ago '07        #24
Drk 10 heat pts10
space
space
$9,130 | Props total: 606 606
someone that owns the device how does the game part work?

2 years ago '16        #25
Jumpchambers 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$2,600 | Props total: 4574 4574
Steam capability?

Home      

most viewed right now
+180online now  27
Video inside wife of brazilian billionaire getting pounded out by security [caught o..
422 comments
2 days ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+76online now  20
Image(s) inside Haitian KiKY wit dem swangass
66 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
-33online now  13
Video inside BlueFace Allegedly Hooked Up With A Transgender