AT&T turned off its 2G network on Jan 1st; spectrum will be used to expand 4G LTE capacity

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

2 years ago '09        #1
1738 page views
9 comments

Tiko377 1979 heat pts1979
space
space
$17,204 | Props total: 12396 12396
AT&T turned off its 2G network on Jan 1st; spectrum will be used to expand 4G LTE capacity

Just announced on Monday, AT&T greeted the new year by shutting down its 2G network. So much has taken place in the wireless industry since AT&T launched the network. Since 2007, data use on AT&T's network has grown an astonishing 250,000% led by video streaming. 2007, of course, was the year that the Apple iPhone first launched as an exclusive on AT&T. The carrier first announced that it was going to shut down its 2G pipeline more than four years ago.

The nation's second largest carrier says that it will use the spectrum over the next few months to expand its LTE network. Eventually, some of it will be used for future technologies including 5G service. Currently, AT&T's 3G and 4G LTE signal cover 99% of the U.S. population. Adding the spectrum to its 4G LTE network will allow AT&T to carry more traffic without purchasing additional capacity.

Over the more than four years that has passed since AT&T first announced its plans to close the 2G network, the carrier used various techniques in order to help subscribers migrate to 4G and prevent them from being stranded. To accomplish this, AT&T gave away devices and offered discounts to certain customers. Subscribers making the jump from 2G to 4G LTE will get to experience faster data speeds, and will benefit from smoother video streams.

"Newer, faster technologies will improve the wireless experience. IoT customers will be able to better serve their customers with improved applications and solutions because of the higher speeds of the upgraded network. Mobility customers will enjoy faster speeds to share photos and watch video.
The retirement of our 2G network – like our earlier retirement of the analog wireless network – is part of our 5G Evolution, which includes continued deployment of our 4G LTE and other technologies in the years to come."-John Donovan, Chief Strategy Officer and Group President, AT&T Technology and Operations
visit this link http://www.phonearena.com .. pacity_id90078

9 comments for "AT&T turned off its 2G network on Jan 1st; spectrum will be used to expand 4G LTE capacity"

2 years ago '07        #2
killacar 6 heat pts
space
space
$6,233 | Props total: 9600 9600
Damn, I couldn't imagine coming from 2G to 4G now skipping right over 3G and experiencing the speeds we get now. Probably feel like going from dial up to fiber

2 years ago '04        #3
mt fuji 17 heat pts17
space
space
$11,553 | Props total: 767 767
 killacar said
Damn, I couldn't imagine coming from 2G to 4G now skipping right over 3G and experiencing the speeds we get now. Probably feel like going from dial up to fiber
Most of those customers won't either.
Att sent them non smart phones for free with not contract.
For a lot of customers like these,a smart phone would simply complicate their lives.

2 years ago '12        #4
FrescoB 75 heat pts75
space
space
$13,150 | Props total: 35047 35047
I got fam that still doesn't own smartphones or computers..hopefully they try to educate their customers before making them switch over

2 years ago '04        #5
mt fuji 17 heat pts17
space
space
$11,553 | Props total: 767 767
 FrescoB said
I got fam that still doesn't own smartphones or computers..hopefully they try to educate their customers before making them switch over
No need to.

Those people received a non smart phone for free with no contractual obligations or installment payments.

Most received a LG flip phone.

Top 10 most propped recently  2 years ago '15        #6
MichaelVickStan 47 heat pts47
space
space
$9,393 | Props total: 18918 18918
that spectrum sh*t was slow af

2 years ago '12        #7
kej718 293 heat pts293
space
space
space
$5,073 | Props total: 6091 6091
I got text that won't go through for some reason, and when someone send me a pic I don't get it. I hope this fixes those problems.

2 years ago '16        #8
Negusis 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$3,967 | Props total: 9891 9891
 MichaelVickStan said
that spectrum sh*t was slow af
Actually they weren't bad. Extremely useful in rural areas.

2 years ago '09        #9
nyrizzie 11 heat pts11
space
space
$604 | Props total: 903 903
Hold pp hold up. So what the fu*k am I on when I go over my 10gb limit. Says they knock me down to 2g speeds. I need to find a way around this sh*t.

Home      

most viewed right now
+126online now  16
Image(s) inside 48 And Still Got It
73 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
-73online now  11
Rebel Wilson: Black Men In Atlanta Thought I Was A '10'!!
235 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  3
Michael RacistPort wants to take back Meek Mill comments.
116 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
-33online now  3
Video inside BlueFace Allegedly Hooked Up With A Transgender
77 comments
2 days ago
@misc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy