Jan 11 - Trump says won't divest from his business while president

most viewed right now
NBA LaMelo Ball Blown out by 50 in front of Harden and Lonzo!
94 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside She's definitely not a THOT!!!
22 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA The no call that changed the NBA landscape forever...
113 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Zach Lavine's girlfriend
69 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 4 months ago '05        #1
282 pageviews
5 comments

phantomnation 1810 heat pts1810
space
space
$4,981 | Props total: 10472 10472
Jan 11 - Trump says won't divest from his business while president

U.S. President-elect Donald Trump said on Wednesday he would maintain ownership of his global business empire but hand off control to his two oldest sons while president, an arrangement that watchdogs said would not prevent conflicts of interest in the White House.

Trump told a news conference he would resign from all positions overseeing hotels, golf courses and hundreds of other businesses and move his a.ssets into a trust to help ensure that he will not consciously take actions as president that would benefit him personally.

Trump, a Republican, is under pressure to distance himself from his businesses before he moves into the White House on Jan. 20. Unlike other U.S. government officials, the president is not required by law to steer clear of conflicts of interest.
ADVERTISING

"I could actually run my business and run government at the same time. I donít like the way that looks, but I would be able to do that if I wanted to," Trump said.

Ethics experts said the arrangement did not go far enough.

"Mr. Trump's ill-advised course will precipitate scandal and corruption," said Norm Eisen, a former White House ethics adviser under Democratic President Barack Obama.

Trump appears to be still involved with his business while preparing to take office, saying he had turned down a $2 billion development deal in Dubai he had been offered over the weekend.

The company that made the proposal, DAMAC, confirmed the discussions had taken place.

The Trump Organization will not enter into any new overseas deals while Trump is president and will only undertake domestic projects after a company ethics adviser has approved them, said Trump adviser Sheri Dillon.

Trump will only know of those deals if he hears about them through the news media, said Dillon, a lawyer at Morgan Lewis who focuses on tax and ethics.

Trump's daughter, Ivanka, is to have no further involvement with management authority in the group, she said. Trump has appointed her husband, Jared Kushner, to a senior advisory role in the White House.

Since Trump sold all his stocks last year, the Trump trust will hold only business a.ssets and liquid a.ssets such as cash, Dillon said.

Many other ethics experts, including the U.S. Office of Government Ethics, have urged Trump to completely divest or set up a blind trust for his a.ssets. In a blind trust, the owner does now know what the holdings are or how their a.ssets are managed. Trumpís oldest sons will be running his business, so the arrangement does not meet that standard.

Dillon said that was not a realistic possibility for a family-owned company and any sudden divestment would hurt Trump financially. Unlike liquid a.ssets like stocks and investment funds, much of Trump's wealth comes from office towers and other real estate that cannot be sold easily, as well as licensing deals that could be difficult to unwind.

Stripped of the Trump name, many of these a.ssets would lose much of their value, Dillon said.

"President-elect Trump should not be expected to destroy the company he built," she said.

Dillon dismissed concerns that Trump could violate an anti-bribery provision in the U.S. Constitution, known as the Emoluments Clause. That applies to gifts, but not business transactions like renting a hotel room, she said.

Nevertheless, profits generated at Trump's hotels by foreign governments will be donated to the U.S. Treasury, she said.

(Additional reporting by Alexander Cornwell in Dubai; Editing by Anna Driver, Grant McCool and James Dalgleish)

Source: visit this link http://in.reuters.com/art .. source=Twitter
hot topic gave props

5 comments for "Jan 11 - Trump says won't divest from his business while president"

4 months ago '11        #2
Sin 972 heat pts972
space
space
$14,401 | Props total: 19561 19561
not surprised at all,

he was elected president without releasing his tax returns

Last edited by Sin; 01-11-2017 at 12:35 PM..
Aesop730 and 3 others gave props

4 months ago '04        #3
erickonasis 18 heat pts18
space
space
$22,883 | Props total: 7391 7391
 phantomnation said:
"I could actually run my business and run government at the same time. I donít like the way that looks, but I would be able to do that if I wanted to," Trump said.
heretic shae and 2 others gave props

4 months ago '16        #4
OWPE 5 heat pts
space
space
$1,656 | Props total: 3430 3430

Unlike other U.S. government officials, the president is not required by law to steer clear of conflicts of interest.

[pic - click to view]

That says it all right there. He doesn't have liquid a.ssets that you can just sell and some of his a.ssets would lose value if he strips off the name Trump from them. He also has licenses that he can't just expire anytime he wants.
phantomnation and 1 others gave props

4 months ago '16        #5
NYFASHIONKING 22 heat pts22
space
space
$1,611 | Props total: 2758 2758
He is brilliant. The presidency will simply be marketing and advertising for Trump Organization and KRE and provide unlimited access to any and everything he thinks of. If he turned down $2B, you best believe he felt he shoulda received $6B.

Gotta love it.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Charlamagne Tha God & Joe Budden Speak On Why VladTV Is A Rat
110 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside A, B or C?
61 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Footage From The 1996 Compton Raid, Suge Knight's House & Weapons Seize..
49 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside K-9 Speaks On Wack100 "You A Born Busta, You A Hoe, Your Sons a Hoe, A..
75 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Wtf going on Keke Palmer ?
139 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
BOX Showtime: Kell Brook vs. Errol Spence Jr: Bramall Lane, UK (May 27): 14..
1462 comments
20 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Katy Perry already done exploiting the culture, unfollows Migos on IG
174 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Yearly Knicks Tradition: Carmelo in shape, looking amazing in workouts
84 comments
20 hours ago