RIP: Two-year contracts at Verizon are dead; activation and upgrade fees rise 50% to $30

most viewed right now
Living In Texas Versus Living In New York
230 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
The most disrespecful line in the history of rap
110 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather trademarks 49-1
67 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside Billboard & Nielsen Considering Banning Jay Z's TIDAL For Reporting F..
99 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 months ago '09        #1
3776 pageviews
56 comments

Tiko377 1753 heat pts1753
space
space
$14,413 | Props total: 7001 7001
RIP: Two-year contracts at Verizon are dead; activation and upgrade fees rise 50% to $30

New and existing Verizon customers, bow down your head and say a prayer for the two-year contract which passed away on January 5th. All new customers will now be required to purchase a phone using an Equipment Installment Plan (EIP). While new subscribers at Big Red were no longer allowed to sign a two-year pact starting last August, existing customers still had that option until now.

T-Mobile was the first to offer EIPs and it also was the first to do away with two-year contracts and subsidized phones. Now, all of the four major U.S. carriers offer EIP plans for their customers as an option when it comes to buying a new handset.

Verizon also made many of its customers put on their #feeface by raising the upgrade and activation fee by 50%. The fee is now $30, up from the previous $20. That change also took effect on January 5th. Back in April of last year, Verizon instituted a $20 activation fee on those purchasing a new phone paying full price, or using an EIP.

source: FierceWireless

visit this link http://www.phonearena.com .. -to-30_id89756
csmitty and 3 others gave props

56 comments for "RIP: Two-year contracts at Verizon are dead; activation and upgrade fees rise 50% to $30"

6 months ago '12        #2
daman729 27 heat pts27
space
space
$11,809 | Props total: 9893 9893
They've done this for some time now. Verizon aint slick. Only reason they're doing this is to edge people into buying more phones per year. You dont get discount upgrade pricing anymore. Matter of fact there was a time you didnt even pay an activation/upgrade fee(not including the phone) at all. Then it went from 15 to 30. Now when you upgrade, you gotta pay full retail price + activation. They know most people not gonna drop $700+ on a phone right then. So they edge you into financing the phone and paying monthly installments. Not to mention how they always quietly, randomly change conditions in their plans. Verizon is greediest phone carrier out of all imo. Thats why so many people under them buy cheaper second handed phones or end up switching carriers.
SpikeSpiegel and 21 others gave props

6 months ago '17        #3
NERDBOX 8 heat pts
space
space
space
$2,026 | Props total: 5772 5772
Keep using the same phone until it quits working. Problem solved.
mia4life128 and 55 others gave props

6 months ago '10        #4
AmazinJay 2 heat pts
space
space
$1,465 | Props total: 1117 1117
Good. Should not be subjected to a 2 year contract. I should be able to upgrade whenever I want or switch carriers without breaking the damn contract and getting penalized. I should also be able to take my phone anywhere except we still have CDMA carriers. Europe is miles ahead here while we just catching up.
King Tchalla and 1 others gave props

6 months ago '14        #5
Dawknight316 2 heat pts
space
space
$1,618 | Props total: 1712 1712
Going to Cricket when my phone no longer functions.
RatedQue and 4 others gave props

6 months ago '16        #6
jetlife510 3 heat pts
space
space
space
$978 | Props total: 1820 1820
 daman729 said:
They've done this for some time now. Verizon aint slick. Only reason they're doing this is to edge people into buying more phones per year. You dont get discount upgrade pricing anymore. Matter of fact there was a time you didnt even pay an activation/upgrade fee(not including the phone) at all. Then it went from 15 to 30. Now when you upgrade, you gotta pay full retail price + activation. They know most people not gonna drop $700+ on a phone right then. So they edge you into financing the phone and paying monthly installments. Not to mention how they always quietly, randomly change conditions in their plans. Verizon is greediest phone carrier out of all imo. Thats why so many people under them buy cheaper second handed phones or end up switching carriers.
Quick question. I'm in the phone game. Does this change the qualifications to get the phones such as credit? Does this make it easier are harder to get Verizon now?
 6 months ago '16        #7
jetlife510 3 heat pts
space
space
space
$978 | Props total: 1820 1820
Sooooo what does this actually mean? Because I know to qualify for T-Mobile is weird now
Capital S and 1 others slapped this ish

6 months ago '09        #8
Jacc Blacc 55 heat pts55
space
space
$24,788 | Props total: 6366 6366
 AmazinJay said:
Good. Should not be subjected to a 2 year contract. I should be able to upgrade whenever I want or switch carriers without breaking the damn contract and getting penalized. I should also be able to take my phone anywhere except we still have CDMA carriers. Europe is miles ahead here while we just catching up.
subjected???

bro, 2 year contract versus a 2 year LEASE, there arent any difference except you arent getting a new phone and after 2 years you have to give the phone back or pay an extra 200

im on sprint, i extend 2 years and get a new phne for free because im happy with my service and i was never4 going to leave, so me extending 2 years means jack, i was never going anywhere

now this lease sh*t is a hustle, 2 get out of a lease you got to pay a feee, no different then getting out of a 2 year contract, so all they did was change the name from contract to lease and then say the phone aint yours

they win

you lose

once again...you still get penalized and get fees if you leave the lease early
Y.G. and 10 others gave props

6 months ago '05        #9
Y.G. 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$40,159 | Props total: 10369 10369
 AmazinJay said:
They still have 2-year contracts. They're just tied to the phone and not the plan. Nothing more than clever wording.
Dro24 and 4 others gave props

6 months ago '10        #10
AmazinJay 2 heat pts
space
space
 Y.G. said:
They still have 2-year contracts. They're just tied to the phone and not the plan. Nothing more than clever wording.
Yeah but what about their Edge plans? Much like the Next Plan for Att these are financing plans.
 6 months ago '10        #11
AmazinJay 2 heat pts
space
space
 Jacc Blacc said:
subjected???

bro, 2 year contract versus a 2 year LEASE, there arent any difference except you arent getting a new phone and after 2 years you have to give the phone back or pay an extra 200

im on sprint, i extend 2 years and get a new phne for free because im happy with my service and i was never4 going to leave, so me extending 2 years means jack, i was never going anywhere

now this lease sh*t is a hustle, 2 get out of a lease you got to pay a feee, no different then getting out of a 2 year contract, so all they did was change the name from contract to lease and then say the phone aint yours

they win

you lose

once again...you still get penalized and get fees if you leave the lease early
I was under the impression that you could get out of these without being locked in. Thanks for the education.
 6 months ago '10        #12
AmazinJay 2 heat pts
space
space
 Y.G. said:
Disregard the responding post. But my understanding was that these were financing plans that didn't lock you in for 2 years.
 6 months ago '12        #13
daman729 27 heat pts27
space
space
$11,809 | Props total: 9893 9893
 jetlife510 said:
Quick question. I'm in the phone game. Does this change the qualifications to get the phones such as credit? Does this make it easier are harder to get Verizon now?
As far as credit checks, I'm thinking they still have that policy when you add new service. Those who dont have a decent amount of credit may be required to pay deposits when activating a brand new account. You may have to call them bruh. Verizon change there policies so much.
 6 months ago '09        #14
Jacc Blacc 55 heat pts55
space
space
$24,788 | Props total: 6366 6366
 AmazinJay said:
I was under the impression that you could get out of these without being locked in. Thanks for the education.
yeah man, i thought the same and my boy wasd schooling me and by the end of his "schooling" i was like so....you still have to pay a fee to leave the elase early, and you are paying for the phone MONTHLY on top of your bill as oppose to getting the phone for free, and now at the end of the elase, you have to give that phone back instead of keeping it

and he said naw..you dont have to give the phone back you can pay 200 dollars to keep the phone

i just sat there like

this is the same as a 2 year contract except they say its a 2 year klease only difference is its not your phone and you have to pay a monthly phone payment on top of your bill, to me its a terrible thing UNLESS you upgrade your phone every 3 to 5 months

im not that guy, i keep my phones for a year or 2 before i upgrade
Dro24 and 4 others gave props

6 months ago '06        #15
datdude41 
space
space
$1,119 | Props total: 1 1
 Jacc Blacc said:
yeah man, i thought the same and my boy wasd schooling me and by the end of his "schooling" i was like so....you still have to pay a fee to leave the elase early, and you are paying for the phone MONTHLY on top of your bill as oppose to getting the phone for free, and now at the end of the elase, you have to give that phone back instead of keeping it

and he said naw..you dont have to give the phone back you can pay 200 dollars to keep the phone

i just sat there like

this is the same as a 2 year contract except they say its a 2 year klease only difference is its not your phone and you have to pay a monthly phone payment on top of your bill, to me its a terrible thing UNLESS you upgrade your phone every 3 to 5 months

im not that guy, i keep my phones for a year or 2 before i upgrade
problem is, in order to upgrade on verizon's lease plan, you have to have paid 50% of the phone off before you can upgrade, so you could upgrade every 3-5 months, but you'd be paying for half of the phone every time you upgraded.
Lil Biz gave props

6 months ago '04        #16
NaMeLeSs- 83 heat pts83
space
space
$9,079 | Props total: 3076 3076
 Dawknight316 said:
Going to Cricket where my phone no longer functions.
Fixed
The Real Cease and 2 others gave props

6 months ago '07        #17
tre0624 67 heat pts67
space
space
$15,336 | Props total: 4824 4824
 NERDBOX said:
Keep using the same phone until it quits working. Problem solved.
true but i wouldn't be able to do that
 6 months ago '13        #18
misterethoughts 145 heat pts145
space
space
$771 | Props total: 2797 2797
 daman729 said:
All about T-Mobile for now. Until another company comes along. Perhaps Sprint will come back to #2.
daman729 and 1 others gave props

6 months ago '10        #19
KJHARDY 81 heat pts81
space
space
$20,073 | Props total: 6773 6773
I got a 2 year contract for the note 7
Kush Charasi gave props

6 months ago '09        #20
eyensteyn 4 heat pts
space
space
$259 | Props total: 136 136
straighttalk baby!! bring your own phone... uses atnt towers $45/mo unlimited talk and text and 5 gigs... $55 and you get 10 gigs
NERDBOX and 1 others gave props

Home      

most viewed right now
Aw sh-t did Kevin Hart just get caught slippin?
98 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Jul 19 - Why Americans are having less sex
77 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Nice Save!
82 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside Lead singer from Linkin Park commits suicide
628 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Man Divorces Wife On Their HONEYMOON After Seeing her w/ NO MAKEUP
104 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
#SPN: Ashleigh Rae
29 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Whos moms is this?
150 comments
2 days ago