Google bans hundreds of accounts of people reselling Pixel phones

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tech

3 years ago '09        #1
3682 page views
24 comments

Tiko377 
space
space
Props total: 13920 13 K  Slaps total: 1462 1 K
Google bans hundreds of accounts of people reselling Pixel phones

More than 200 people have reportedly had their Google accounts suspended for allegedly reselling Pixel phones, the Guardian reported. Hundreds of members of the forum of U.S.-based website Dan's Deals, primarily known for offering credit card deals, have reported their Google profiles, as well as a*sociated backup and recovery accounts, blocked from all Google services on grounds of violating the search giant's phone resale policy.

All affected users had bought Pixel phones from Google's Project Fi virtual network operator, and shipped them to a reseller in New Hapmshire, one of the U.S. states without sales tax. The N.H.-based dealer intended to resell the devices, splitting his profit with those who had sent them the phones, but their plans are currently on hold after the mass bans.

According Daniel Eleff, owner of Dan's Deals, “some of those people opened multiple Google accounts in order to place orders for more than five phones and they are locked out of all the accounts,” adding that he has located and contacted the dealer, and that “the dealer is more than happy to return all the phones to Google if it will clarify the situation.”

The bans are service-wide and the affected users have been denied access to all Google services, including Photos and Gmail. Even recovery accounts not used to purchase Pixel phones, but merely a*sociated with such accounts as backup options, have also been restricted from using all Google services.

“I’m not defending those who violated the terms of the sale, but I do think it is heavy-handed for Google to block access to all of their services for doing so,” wrote Eleff in a blog post on his site. “Was violating Google’s phone resale policy really worthy of an effective digital death penalty?”

Google's terms of service state that customers “may only purchase Devices for your personal use. You may not resell any Device, but you may give the Device as a gift.” Interestingly, the N.H.-based dealer has been doing this for years with Nexus phones with no action from Google. According to him and affected members from the forums, “a few thousand” Pixel phones were ordered, which is “fewer than the amounts ordered in the past.”

The affected customers are reporting that emails sent to their Gmail accounts are being returned to the sender as “undeliverable,” which would suggest that their Google identities have been wiped completely. This would mean that their photos in Google Photos, files in Google Drive, as well as all correspondence via Gmail may have been deleted.

Google has not responded to any requests for comment on the ordeal yet and it is currently unknown whether the company would reinstate the affected parties' privileges.

source: Dan's Deals via The Guardian

visit this link http://www.phonearena.com .. phones_id87907

best
worst
24 comments

3 years ago '04        #2
bluedawgalex 
space
space
Props total: 1942 1 K  Slaps total: 251 251
So basically if you wanna resale a pixel just make a new account and buy the device so your real sh*t dont get wiped

3 years ago '04        #3
dre03 
space
space
Props total: 5632 5 K  Slaps total: 1304 1 K
 bluedawgalex said
So basically if you wanna resale a pixel just make a new account and buy the device so your real sh*t dont get wiped

They blocked accounts that weren't used to purchase the phones as well

They went a step further then just blocking your fake accounts... clearly they know that wouldn't affect you... their goal is to a*sociate your fake accounts with your real account... Which in this case they did...

It's not like they can't find out who you are... Its Google

3 years ago '04        #4
fat_boyy21 
space
space
Props total: 4541 4 K  Slaps total: 759 759
this will help prevent some people from getting ripped off. I remember samsung was region locking the galaxy's to combat resellers

3 years ago '14        #5
Daptism 
space
space
space
Props total: 31013 31 K  Slaps total: 5692 5 K
 bluedawgalex said

Are you kidding me man? Google has some of the smartest individuals on the face of the planet working for them, they can easily adjust it so that it ties to your IP and your account. Selective account banning isn't some magical thing they can't bypass, give them some credit.

3 years ago '04        #6
bluedawgalex 
space
space
Props total: 1942 1 K  Slaps total: 251 251
Im just saying for as many restrictions as they make up there will always be a loophole that someone will exploit

3 years ago '10        #7
Seymore Cake 
space
space
Props total: 11210 11 K  Slaps total: 846 846
So I can't sell something I buy

3 years ago '05        #8
dasill 
space
space
Props total: 9106 9 K  Slaps total: 2387 2 K
 dre03 said

They went a step further then just blocking your fake accounts... clearly they know that wouldn't affect you... their goal is to a*sociate your fake accounts with your real account... Which in this case they did...

This I'm pretty sure google knows more about anyone then any other big buismess.

3 years ago '10        #9
THERETURNOFK2Z 
space
space
space
Props total: 6471 6 K  Slaps total: 1333 1 K
[email changed - confirm acct by email]
 Seymore Cake said
So I can't sell something I buy
This... iwouldn't habe bought it if I knew this

3 years ago '04        #10
Kazel 
space
space
Props total: 479 479  Slaps total: 67 67
So when the next phone comes out, I can't sell this? What kinda fu*kery is this?

3 years ago '04        #11
Kush Charasi 
space
space
Props total: 357 357  Slaps total: 75 75
How do you retain the value of your investment...if it has no value?

3 years ago '16        #12
Bad 
space
space
Props total: 12067 12 K  Slaps total: 2773 2 K
Well just don't purchase this trash phone, wait for the godly s8 to come out.

3 years ago '04        #13
Twotwenty 
space
space
space
Props total: 5238 5 K  Slaps total: 462 462
They reversed this already and that's good cause it was a bad look for them

3 years ago '10        #14
kamianisan 
space
space
Props total: 772 772  Slaps total: 34 34
What happen if I bought a Pixel and then I get another phone?

3 years ago '04        #15
VictoryThagr8 
space
space
space
Props total: 5153 5 K  Slaps total: 1105 1 K
This is for pixel that is bought from project fi

3 years ago '04        #16
fat_boyy21 
space
space
Props total: 4541 4 K  Slaps total: 759 759
 Twotwenty said
They reversed this already and that's good cause it was a bad look for them
No they reversed the legitimate accounts not the resellers

3 years ago '04        #17
Twotwenty 
space
space
space
Props total: 5238 5 K  Slaps total: 462 462
 fat_boyy21 said
No they reversed the legitimate accounts not the resellers
They reversed the legit accounts even if they were resellers. The only accounts they didn't unlock were fake accounts that were made just to buy the phone.

3 years ago '04        #18
newgogoguy 
space
space
space
Props total: 194 194  Slaps total: 35 35
 dre03 said

thats why you got the backup for the backup ya dig....i got about 6 different email accounts and thats not including my work account

insert* big hit scene.....

3 years ago '05        #19
Y.G. 
space
space
space
Props total: 22153 22 K  Slaps total: 3114 3 K
 dre03 said

Daptism said
Are you kidding me man? Google has some of the smartest individuals on the face of the planet working for them, they can easily adjust it so that it ties to your IP and your account. Selective account banning isn't some magical thing they can't bypass, give them some credit.
@ is right. If I use a VPN, create a new Google account, purchase a Pixel and then send it to an address and name not a*sociated with my original Google account, there is no way Google could connect the fake connect to the original. Stop acting like Google is infallible.

3 years ago '16        #20
B86 
space
space
space
Props total: 10061 10 K  Slaps total: 2277 2 K
If y'all actually read the damn article then maybe you'll understand its not just because "I can't sell something I bought"

3 years ago '10        #21
SandmanNyC 
space
space
Props total: 2929 2 K  Slaps total: 990 990
 Y.G. said
@ is right. If I use a VPN, create a new Google account, purchase a Pixel and then send it to an address and name not a*sociated with my original Google account, there is no way Google could connect the fake connect to the original. Stop acting like Google is infallible.
idk man, can't they just wait to see who uses that phone on which account after all this and boom your banned

3 years ago '05        #22
Y.G. 
space
space
space
 SandmanNyC said
idk man, can't they just wait to see who uses that phone on which account after all this and boom your banned
If it's bought on a dummy account, the seller wouldn't care if the dummy account got banned. Makes no difference to the seller after it's sold.

3 years ago '10        #23
SandmanNyC 
space
space
Props total: 2929 2 K  Slaps total: 990 990
 Y.G. said
If it's bought on a dummy account, the seller wouldn't care if the dummy account got banned. Makes no difference to the seller after it's sold.
im saying the ppl who end up buying it off the guy who bought it w a dummy acct and then using their own account on it afterwards. Google would know its not the account that was used to make the purchase and then boom, ur banned.

3 years ago '04        #24
We_Ready 
space
space
Props total: 177 177  Slaps total: 8 8
 Bad said
Well just don't purchase this trash phone, wait for the godly s8 to come out.

3 years ago '05        #25
Y.G. 
space
space
space
 SandmanNyC said
im saying the ppl who end up buying it off the guy who bought it w a dummy acct and then using their own account on it afterwards. Google would know its not the account that was used to make the purchase and then boom, ur banned.
Google didn't ban the buyers. They banned the sellers.

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  13
Image(s) inside The Sonic redesign cost Paramount less than $5M, bringing the films bu..
60 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+25online now  11
website will pay you $3k a month to smoke weed
59 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+85online now  11
Max Kellerman got Stephen A. On hush mode about Kaep now